HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2013 1st Overall Pick

Old
10-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Flyerfan52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
I could see Islanders getting 1st overall too but yikes! I would never trade Gardiner or Reilly for Strome. Gardiner has proven is worth in the NHL and Strome couldn't even break the Islanders line up last year.
But Kadri is still a can't miss prospect @ 22 with a sprinkling of games spread over 3 seasons.
Gardiner has 1 year @ 22. That's 1 heck of a track record.

Reilly has as many games as Strome.

So there are 3 pieces of gold while a 19 year old improves in the OHL.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
But Kadri is still a can't miss prospect @ 22 with a sprinkling of games spread over 3 seasons.

Hey. Don't you know that Rielly is the Leafs shiny new piece? So in their minds, Rielly>Strome. Will be dumped on in 2-3 years for not being on the roster though.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:48 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Because a Franchise defenseman would make a bigger to you lineup than adding another franchise centre. You currently have a potential franchise centre and a decent 2nd line centre, but no top pairing defensemen. If you can trade down from Mackinnon to Jones and gain a nice asset while doing so imo they should do it.
Viewed through the history lens you're advocating something along the lines of:

Trading down from:

Crosby to pick Jack Johnson;
Staal to pick Eric Johnson; or
Stamkos to pick Doughty;

None of those look like great options. Whatever "nice asset" is coming the other way is still likely not going to make up for not getting the best player in the trade.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

vCash: 50
Someone like Sean Monahan could go as low as 4th Overall, and could have a similar impact as a guy like J. Toews. That shows you how deep the beginning of the draft is.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Punkeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
What about Columbus? If there is a season, I'd be shocked if they finished above 30th.
Yeah of course Columbus have a chance to finish last too or to win the lottery but seriously when I look at their line up. They have a really nice defense. Jack Johnson, Fedor Tyutin, Wiznewski is a solid top 3. Add to that Ryan Murray, David Savard, John Moore, Tim Erixon that and a couple of vets that will fight for the 4, 5 and 6th spot. They will have a nice group of D.

Forwards: I like their grinding style forwards. Umberger, Dubinsky is a nice addition too and let's not forget Nick Foligno. This is going to be an unspectacular team sure, but a team of hard worker and these teams always gets more wins than we think. They won't make the playoff, of course but they could finish a little bit higher than NY Islanders or Winnipeg.

My explanation:

First NYIslanders. This organisation doesn't go anywhere. They've been collecting high picks since who knows how many years and they still suck. They have really nice young talent but they always failed to make it work. I think this is going to be the same thing this year. I heard that Pat Lafontaine might be interested to buy the team. Honestly, that could be the best thing to ever happen to them.

Winnipeg: I'm not sold. I love the organisation. Really proud that they could get their team back and they have a soft spot in my heart but no Bogosian until january-february? Byfuglien looking like he's 300 lbs? It will hurt them. That's why I think they'll have some trouble this season. Anyway, with Scheifele on his way and maybe a top 3 pick next season (that would be the best thing to happen to them seriously) and I'm sure most of their fans would agree. They would build a solid core for the future.

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post

I never gave my opinion about Kadri? Why bring him up? I'm not sold on Strome, I've seen him play and I might be wrong but I think he's not going to be what's everybody think he'll be. Gardiner at 22 has been one of the best defensemen last season for the Maple Leafs and he's playing really great in the AHL right now too. No sign of him slowing down. Morgan Rielly is a "sure" pick to make it in the NHL. I've seen him play a lot. Anyway, thats just an opinion and you know what they says about opinions!

Old
10-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Yes, 18 yr old Strome, needing to add weight and develop a stronger defensive game, didn't make the NYI roster. Clearly, that show what a disappointing prospect he is
Yeah and I've seen him play too in the juniors. I wasn't impress seriously. For a 4th overall pick, I felt he was really overrated. That's just my opinion you know. It's normal for you to defend your team own pick but if I had a choice between Reilly for Strome or even Gardiner for Strome. I would say no in a heartbeat. I'm not biased or something. I'm no leafs fan too. Just my two cents. It's allright if we both disagree Time will tell!

Old
10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Rielly > Strome .

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Yeah of course Columbus have a chance to finish last too or to win the lottery but seriously when I look at their line up. They have a really nice defense. Jack Johnson, Fedor Tyutin, Wiznewski is a solid top 3. Add to that Ryan Murray, David Savard, John Moore, Tim Erixon that and a couple of vets that will fight for the 4, 5 and 6th spot. They will have a nice group of D.

Forwards: I like their grinding style forwards. Umberger, Dubinsky is a nice addition too and let's not forget Nick Foligno. This is going to be an unspectacular team sure, but a team of hard worker and these teams always gets more wins than we think. They won't make the playoff, of course but they could finish a little bit higher than NY Islanders or Winnipeg.

My explanation:

First NYIslanders. This organisation doesn't go anywhere. They've been collecting high picks since who knows how many years and they still suck. They have really nice young talent but they always failed to make it work. I think this is going to be the same thing this year. I heard that Pat Lafontaine might be interested to buy the team. Honestly, that could be the best thing to ever happen to them.

Isles have indicated that Nabby will be their #1. Hopefully, this solidifies the goaltending.

On the blueline, they've let Eaton, Jurcina, Mottou and Staios leave. Added Vis, Carkner and likely rookie Matt Donovan.

Isles top 6 takes a blow with Parenteau leaving and the disappointing Boyes replacing him. Isles need their inconsistent young forwards(Okposo, Grabner and Bailey), to playing well from the start of the season, not 2-3 months into the season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Yeah and I've seen him play too in the juniors. I wasn't impress seriously. For a 4th overall pick, I felt he was really overrated. That's just my opinion you know. It's normal for you to defend your team own pick but if I had a choice between Reilly for Strome or even Gardiner for Strome. I would say no in a heartbeat. I'm not biased or something. I'm no leafs fan too. Just my two cents. It's allright if we both disagree Time will tell!
No we don't have to agree.

I just find it amusing, that the poster takes a swipe at 18 yr old Strome, not making the Isles roster.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
Isles have indicated that Nabby will be their #1. Hopefully, this solidifies the goaltending.

On the blueline, they've let Eaton, Jurcina, Mottou and Staios leave. Added Vis, Carkner and likely rookie Matt Donovan.

Isles top 6 takes a blow with Parenteau leaving and the disappointing Boyes replacing him. Isles need their inconsistent young forwards(Okposo, Grabner and Bailey), to playing well from the start of the season, not 2-3 months into the season.

I'm in love with Hamonic and Tavares. This is a solid core to build around. If Lafontaine could somehow buy this team from Charles Wang, that would be a really nice step in a good direction.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Punkeater

Quote:

I just find it amusing, that the poster takes a swipe at 18 yr old Strome, not making the Isles roster.
Like I said, I've not been impress with him. At 4th overall, I think he should be a 1st line center. He'll never be with Tavares of course but I don't think he would be playing first line in the NHL on any team. I see him as a second line center who could put 50 pts a year in the NHL but nothing more really :S That's respectable, he's no plug but I would always build a team from defense first and I don't think he's worth more than Gardiner or Rielly. And for their positions, I think theses two will have a little bit of an edge on Strome.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Punkeater

Quote:

Allright, I'll admit I was a little harch there. Should have stick to comparing him with Rielly and Gardiner

Old
10-23-2012, 01:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Like I said, I've not been impress with him. At 4th overall, I think he should be a 1st line center. He'll never be with Tavares of course but I don't think he would be playing first line in the NHL on any team. I see him as a second line center who could put 50 pts a year in the NHL but nothing more really :S That's respectable, he's no plug but I would always build a team from defense first and I don't think he's worth more than Gardiner or Rielly. And for their positions, I think theses two will have a little bit of an edge on Strome.

Strome actually went 5th overall.

Isles fans debate whether he should be moved to Tavares wing, with the franchise's center depth: Brock Nelson, Cizikas, Ullstrom and Sundstrom.

Next to Tavares, Strome's probably the organization's most skilled young center. I lean towards keeping him at center.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Allright, I'll admit I was a little harch there. Should have stick to comparing him with Rielly and Gardiner
I didn't say that you were harsh. It just made the post very silly imo.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
SmellOfVictory

If it was a similar situation to the alleged NYI offer for 2nd overall last draft (NYI's entire set of picks for 2nd overall), I think that could end up being fair value for certain teams (e.g. for 1st overall: 3rd/4th overall + early picks in round 2-7). Depends heavily on how far ahead of his peers MacKinnon really ends up looking, though. At the moment, if the Flames had #1 overall and they were offered #3 overall plus a bunch of picks, I wouldn't complain at them trading it off and grabbing Jones or Barkov instead of MacKinnon.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Villager
BAGS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Jankowski but the 1st overall team adds +++
Gretzky+Orr+Howe+Lemieux will not even land you Jankowski Paladin mode

Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:29 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
Gretzky+Orr+Howe+Lemieux will not even land you Jankowski Paladin mode
Well ogle course not. Those players are all ancient and not very good compared to there former selves!

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Alright, if Columbus is right behind you, they'll be picking Mackinnon over Jones. Swap down and pick up a guy like Savard or something.

Don't be absurd. Even if we were going to trade one of our top blueline prospects, Savard (as a righty) would be next-to-last on the list just ahead of Murray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
even then unless they are rfa's they can have another carter problem. Better to draft IMO for them.
Unlikely. Jeff Carter's reaction was pretty unprecedented. That said, I'm not sure how or why we'd get a similar hole-filling player regardless unless Toronto gets really desperate and opts to trade Kessel (ha ha ha).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
What about Columbus? If there is a season, I'd be shocked if they finished above 30th.
Prepare to be shocked. We've been mediocre, but until last season we had never in our history finished 30th, and as most of the "problem elements" that contributed to that are gone we're extremely unlikely to repeat.

That said, the playoffs aren't exactly likely either.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:05 PM
palindrom

Yakupov for the 1st overall 2013

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:20 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Viewed through the history lens you're advocating something along the lines of:

Trading down from:

Crosby to pick Jack Johnson;
Staal to pick Eric Johnson; or
Stamkos to pick Doughty;

None of those look like great options. Whatever "nice asset" is coming the other way is still likely not going to make up for not getting the best player in the trade.
You never trade down in a draft if you have the #1 pick.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Don't be absurd. Even if we were going to trade one of our top blueline prospects, Savard (as a righty) would be next-to-last on the list just ahead of Murray.
Sorry for not being thoroughly versed in Columbus' untouchable chart I was simply spitballing and named the first decent prospect that came to my head, but I think it's safe to say Columbus would prefer Mackinnon to Jones + Savard.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:27 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Filppula+Quincey+Tatar+Mrazek/McCollum+DET 1st 2003, conditional on Filppula signing?
Wings' fan here. I would do the trade in a heartbeat. Not sure if the team with the #1 or #2 pick would.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Because a Franchise defenseman would make a bigger to you lineup than adding another franchise centre. You currently have a potential franchise centre and a decent 2nd line centre, but no top pairing defensemen. If you can trade down from Mackinnon to Jones and gain a nice asset while doing so imo they should do it.
The Oilers have no one beside RNH who is a NHL centre. What if RNH goes down with an injury? Take the centre in MacKinnon. Schultz looks like a #1D with the way he's playing. There's also Klefbom commin next yr. The Oilers are fine with their dcore. RNH and MacKinnon would go along ways in winning championships. Marincin, Fedun and Davidson are looking great too.

J. Schultz, Marincin, Fedun, Davidson, and Klefbom will all be Oilers regulars in 3 yrs. Add in N. Schultz and Petry to complement the dcore.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:00 AM
molsonoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
The Oilers have no one beside RNH who is a NHL centre. What if RNH goes down with an injury? Take the centre in MacKinnon. Schultz looks like a #1D with the way he's playing. There's also Klefbom commin next yr. The Oilers are fine with their dcore. RNH and MacKinnon would go along ways in winning championships. Marincin, Fedun and Davidson are looking great too.

J. Schultz, Marincin, Fedun, Davidson, and Klefbom will all be Oilers regulars in 3 yrs. Add in N. Schultz and Petry to complement the dcore.
The Center the Oilers need is Barkov. If the Oilers are picking 1st they have to trade down or trade up if they are lower than third.
Barkov is a large center showing off his tremendous talent in the SML, dominating other MEN in the face-off circle and in front of the net at 18. You do not get that presence from Nathan Mackinnon, who is a phenomenal athlete, no matter what you do. Get another version of elite skill in a big man.
Think about it this way: Would you like to attack an opponent in the same manner over an over again (and be regularly successful because we'd be damn good at it) or attack in a variety of ways complicating defensive responsibility. It is tactically important to have a varied attack. If we have three VERY GOOD NHL players in Hall, Yakupov and Mackinnon that attack in relatively the same manner and play a similar style we are hampering ourselves.

molsonoilers is offline   Reply With Quote