HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 12:30 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Good goalie, but that contract is a crippler. Let Burke bite that bullet and laugh at us for the first 2-3 years, we'll have the last laugh.
Luongo is only as good as the defense in front of him, and the Leafs D is full of holes. Edmonton would have the first and last laughs.

If Luongo cannot get it done in Vancouver, what makes some fans think he can do it in Edmonton. It's ridiculous to even think it.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:45 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Luongo is only as good as the defense in front of him, and the Leafs D is full of holes. Edmonton would have the first and last laughs.

If Luongo cannot get it done in Vancouver, what makes some fans think he can do it in Edmonton. It's ridiculous to even think it.
To be fair, Luongo is a very good regular season goalie. I agree that he tends to out think himself and get scrambly when the pressure is on or he's having an off night(hence his propensity to give up the occasional 7-8g games). But for the vast majority of run-of-the-mill games, RL is an excellent goalie. He is much better than just "the d in front of him".

I'd be all over him if his deal wasn't so long that it would impact our ability to sign our kids to 3rd contracts.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:57 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I dont think people realize how much better Luongo makes the Edmonton Oilers... I am a huge Oiler fan and hate the Canucks but to not want a legitimate number one goalie who used to be top 3 in the NHL and still has the chance to get back up there...

Luongo played great when he was traded from FLA to VAN, a similar situation could happen if he gets traded again.

So this being said my questions is not whether or not you would want him on the Oilers, it is what would you think would be going the other way if the trade was made?

I personally think it would have to have Khabi going back the other way...
so Hall, Yakupov and a first for Luongo? do you do that deal?

Old
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM
barto

Uh....how you do go from Khabi to Hall/Yakupov/1st? Did I miss the jokey/sarcasm thing?

Old
10-23-2012, 02:06 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Year 2012:Transforming the Oilers into a stanley cup contender.

Since there's nothing to talk about at the moment.I was wondering what do the fans think the Oilers GM should do to transform this team into a real threat.

Get ready set..........Go!

Old
10-23-2012, 02:09 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Honestly drafting Shultz was huge. After that, hard to say. We need to see what we have in Dubnyk for one, Smid, ect.

It is very possible the Tambo has to do nothing but let the kids mature.

Hard to say. I think a shut down D, a goalie and a 2nd line C are possible needs. but, we have guys who could potentially fill all those rolls already.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:14 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Hopefully the new CBA screws over a bunch of teams, who in needing to drop salary move a star defenseman for a bunch of prospects to us.

Sound familiar?

Old
10-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Krut

IMO we need these things to take the next step:

1) a reliable veteran D who can move the puck (easier said than done)

2) we need to totally reform our bottom six. This has been a problem for years, and may even be as big of an issue as our poor defense IMO. Take a look at the last few Stanley Cup winners, and then take a look at their bottom 6. They have guys who are elite penalty killers, play the body, can check the oppositions top players, and generally keep the game simple and effective when they are on the ice.

The Oilers on the other hand have had a turnstile of guys who are either complete ******* (for lack of a better term), barely able to play in the NHL (Jaques, Pouliot, etc), and unable to play a competent defensive game.

If we want to get anywhere, we need to change this now, and it is much easier to accomplish than reforming our defense. Look at New Jersey last year for example. They plucked Ryan Carter off waivers, and he was damn good for them in the playoffs. Look at Detroit. They nabbed Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller off waivers as well, and they have been very effective in bottom 6 roles. We need to start getting in the game when a potentially solid bottom 6er hits the waiver wire. We did it with Jones, now we have to pull a few more rabbits out of the hat.

3) Stable goaltending. This may be Dubnyk, it may not be. I was praying that Tambo would somehow rid us of Khabibukin in the off season, because it is quite apparent to me that he simply can't get the job done in any respect. We need Dubnyk to become consistent, and acquire a backup who is at least semi-competent.

4) Maybe the most important of all, we need to stay healthy. I'm not sure when our long standing curse of injuries will end, but it will be a struggle to do anything until all of our key players can play 70+ games, and not all be injured at the same time.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Hitchslap

Gagner as our second line center is our biggest question mark. At this point, I don't think it would be a bad idea to just let our current team play out the season and decide where to go from there.

Our biggest need right now is experience.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:41 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

step 1: have a season

Old
10-23-2012, 02:52 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
step 1: have a season
Step 1:get Horcoff off the team

Old
10-23-2012, 03:22 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Step 1:get Horcoff off the team

Old
10-23-2012, 03:37 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
To be fair, Luongo is a very good regular season goalie. I agree that he tends to out think himself and get scrambly when the pressure is on or he's having an off night(hence his propensity to give up the occasional 7-8g games). But for the vast majority of run-of-the-mill games, RL is an excellent goalie. He is much better than just "the d in front of him".

I'd be all over him if his deal wasn't so long that it would impact our ability to sign our kids to 3rd contracts.
Luongo at times can be brilliant, and he is a good regular season goalie, but the Leafs D is that bad. The Leafs D have a habit of hanging their goalies out to dry and with the trade of Schenn, they don't have that much grit or defensive D.

You just have to get under Luongo's skin and his whole game goes to hell, no thanks, Oiler fans would eat him alive.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:42 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmagg View Post
Horcoff, Khabibulin for Luongo.

Deal done.

Not even for this would I take Looooo. These contracts expire soon. Looo's is forever.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:46 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Good goalie, but that contract is a crippler. Let Burke bite that bullet and laugh at us for the first 2-3 years, we'll have the last laugh.
This is exactly where I am at on the whole Loo thing.
In Burkes defence he knows he will be fired long before Looo is too old and just a cap hit.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:15 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I dont think people realize how much better Luongo makes the Edmonton Oilers... I am a huge Oiler fan and hate the Canucks but to not want a legitimate number one goalie who used to be top 3 in the NHL and still has the chance to get back up there...

Luongo played great when he was traded from FLA to VAN, a similar situation could happen if he gets traded again.

So this being said my questions is not whether or not you would want him on the Oilers, it is what would you think would be going the other way if the trade was made?

I personally think it would have to have Khabi going back the other way...
so Hall, Yakupov and a first for Luongo? do you do that deal?

Old
10-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Master Lok

Luongo's contract is a nonstarter. End of story.

Not even if we traded Horcoff and Khabibulin for Luongo would that help contractually since Horcoff's contract ends years sooner than Luongo.

I cannot envision any trade scenario where trading for Luongo is a good thing for the Oilers. Not one.

Old
10-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Jamin

Brule was cut by his european team today, no goals and 6 assists in 14 games. Not Sure but I think it is the team Marc Crawford is coaching

Old
10-23-2012, 07:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Brule was cut by his european team today, no goals and 6 assists in 14 games. Not Sure but I think it is the team Marc Crawford is coaching
I'd still take him back as a 4th line energy forward and maybe use him on the PP for his shot. He's a lot more useful than a guy like Eager

Old
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'd still take him back as a 4th line energy forward and maybe use him on the PP for his shot. He's a lot more useful than a guy like Eager
Getting cut over there does not bode well for Brule. At times I thought Brule could churn out a NHL career as 3rd or 4th line role player but this might be it.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:47 PM
bzur

Delete

Last edited by bzur: 10-24-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old
10-23-2012, 10:23 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

Right now i'd still say Doobie has better upside than Luongo. At least we know Luongo sucks hard in the playoffs. Doobie far all we know could be a play off ace.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:42 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
IMO we need these things to take the next step:

1) a reliable veteran D who can move the puck (easier said than done)

2) we need to totally reform our bottom six. This has been a problem for years, and may even be as big of an issue as our poor defense IMO. Take a look at the last few Stanley Cup winners, and then take a look at their bottom 6. They have guys who are elite penalty killers, play the body, can check the oppositions top players, and generally keep the game simple and effective when they are on the ice.

The Oilers on the other hand have had a turnstile of guys who are either complete ******* (for lack of a better term), barely able to play in the NHL (Jaques, Pouliot, etc), and unable to play a competent defensive game.

If we want to get anywhere, we need to change this now, and it is much easier to accomplish than reforming our defense. Look at New Jersey last year for example. They plucked Ryan Carter off waivers, and he was damn good for them in the playoffs. Look at Detroit. They nabbed Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller off waivers as well, and they have been very effective in bottom 6 roles. We need to start getting in the game when a potentially solid bottom 6er hits the waiver wire. We did it with Jones, now we have to pull a few more rabbits out of the hat.

3) Stable goaltending. This may be Dubnyk, it may not be. I was praying that Tambo would somehow rid us of Khabibukin in the off season, because it is quite apparent to me that he simply can't get the job done in any respect. We need Dubnyk to become consistent, and acquire a backup who is at least semi-competent.

4) Maybe the most important of all, we need to stay healthy. I'm not sure when our long standing curse of injuries will end, but it will be a struggle to do anything until all of our key players can play 70+ games, and not all be injured at the same time.
I don't think the Oilers' bottom 6 is actually that bad, the problem last year was that a lot of them had to carry too heavy a load and were exposed.

Belanger would be a good 4th line C on any team in the league, but he was playing 2nd/3rd line minutes and playing way too much on the PP, Petrell is a decent 4th line LW that can lay the body, Horcoff is a decent 3rd line C who plays 1st line minutes, Jones would be a great 4th line winger (unfortunately he's paid like a 3rd line winger), and even if Paajarvi doesn't turn out as expected, he should at least be a good defensive winger.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:11 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Strudwick talked about the Luongo nonsense on his show tonight. Guy is pretty funny. I enjoy his show, its just on at a time where I cant/dont listen very often.

At any rate, forget about this Luongo horsecrap. His contract would make Horcoff's look like a seventh round pick's elc deal.

Oh and he is a crappy goalie to boot with the mental toughness of a three year old. An entitled whiny baby who mouths off in the press and throws his own teammates under the bus.

No thanks.

Old
10-24-2012, 03:17 AM
OilGuns

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Since there's nothing to talk about at the moment.I was wondering what do the fans think the Oilers GM should do to transform this team into a real threat.

Get ready set..........Go!
I'm pretty sure if you asked the fake oilers owner on twitter he'd say something like draft #1 again

@the bored man that honestly made me brake out in laughter man

Closed Thread