HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread III (It's RGIII's Playground)

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 11:49 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Well, they've out and out said they would have gotten a right tackle. I think you can put the top safety on the market also into the discussion. Maybe a decent corner as well.
Even going in to TC the secondary was the pretty much obvious question mark. Knock on wood but at least the offensive line has escaped the injury bug.

10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

At least next year we won't have a cap penalty and we clearly have a QB free agents should be excited to play for. I expect a much better FA crop next year. I mean...it can't be worse than this year's.

10-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
At least next year we won't have a cap penalty and we clearly have a QB free agents should be excited to play for. I expect a much better FA crop next year. I mean...it can't be worse than this year's.
To be fair, we've barely seen our biggest FA haul of this past off-season. And that little bit we did see included what's probably RGIII's signature play so far.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:03 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Still got one more 18 million penalty this next free agency also unfortunately.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

He'll learn to not expose himself to the bigger shots, but this notion some have about him getting knocked out of the league because he's a mobile QB is just plain old fearmongering...

He is what he is.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:13 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Nice bit about Griffin in Peter Kings MMQB:

Robert Griffin III leaves his mark in New Jersey. I always judge the mark of an incredible play in an NFL game by the reaction it gets in the NBC viewing room on the fifth floor of our Rockefeller Center building in Manhattan. And when Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III had a 4th-and-10 with 2:07 left at the Meadowlands, his team down 20-16 to the Giants, this is the sound I recall hearing from the likes of Rodney Harrison, Tony Dungy, Dan Patrick, Mike Florio and a score of other football wackos in the room as Griffin took the snap, looked for a receiver, found them covered, then rolled left, Giants chasing him -- "Getridofit! ... Noooooo! .... Whoaa!!! ... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!''

Sounded louder than "Born To Run" at a Springsteen concert. Somehow, some way, as the law was closing in, Griffin, stumbling forward, threw a low 19-yard strike to tight end Logan Paulsen. "Even though you don't know what's going to happen, you have some kind of feeling that something good is going to happen,'' RGIII said. "That's the way I try to play. No matter what's called I always feel like it's going to work. If it doesn't work, we will make it work some way or another.''

Watching this game, I kept thinking how glad I was that Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen paid whatever it is they paid to deal for Griffin. And whatever it is, it'll be worth it. He's one of the great, special players to come into the league in the 29 seasons I've covered it. No play's ever over. Though he's running for his well-being on 10 or 12 plays a game, he still leads the NFL after seven games of his rookie year with a 70.4 percent completion rate. Once he gets the kind of protection Shanahan and Allen will build for him, he'll be better, and the Redskins will be competing for championships. That's right -- plural.

"I'm pretty mad at the football gods for putting him in the NFC East,'' Justin Tuck of the Giants said. "To face that guy twice a year is going to be a headache. He takes away from your enthusiasm for the game a little bit, when you play a play perfectly and he still has 4.3 speed to run by guys and make plays.''

Tuck's GM, Jerry Reese, has the right idea taking all those defensive linemen high in drafts. He shouldn't stop. They need to come in droves at Griffin, because he'll tire them out. Three plays after the miracle 4th-and-10 conversion, Griffin threw the go-ahead touchdown pass, a perfect 30-yarder right over Santana Moss' shoulder. I thought that was the ballgame.

And yet, there's Eli to win another game late. Eli Manning is decidedly the anti-RGIII, a pocket guy who can escape trouble but not make a living at it. What Manning does is precisely what he did after Griffin strafed the Giants: He threw a perfect arcing shot to Victor Cruz, splitting two Washington defenders, for a 77-yard winner. Manning is amazing. Fourth quarter after fourth quarter -- Patriots, Niners, Packers, Redskins, whoever -- it doesn't matter. There is no quarterback in the NFL in the same league as Manning when the game's on the line. And for a kid, Griffin's pretty clutch himself.

So get used to this. Manning's had a good rivalry with Tony Romo, and an OK rivalry with Michael Vick. But Manning-RGIII could really be special. Manning's 31. Griffin's 22. I hope Sunday was the first of about 20 meetings in the regular season and postseason between them.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2AANgTg00

Sure like reading **** like this. Especially the bit he said about looking forward to Eli vs Griffin for the next 20 games. Could have the potential to take the Giants/Skins to a Crackboys/Skins level. Could really make the NFC East the premier division of the NFL again.

Still got a ways to go. Griffin needs to perform like this over 2 season at least.

Its going to be great to be a fan regardless. Three 1sts and a 2nd was damn worth it.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:11 PM
BobRouse

He's getting alot of hype and deserves every bit and then some.

This is the best football player I have ever seen. I'm not going to lie. I don't have a doubt in my mind that he will end up being a legendary player and it won't shock me if he is the best player to ever play. He has that kind of potential.

I think he already is the best football player in the league.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

He's no Tim Tebow.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 10-24-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
He's getting alot of hype and deserves every bit and then some.

This is the best football player I have ever seen. I'm not going to lie. I don't have a doubt in my mind that he will end up being a legendary player and it won't shock me if he is the best player to ever play. He has that kind of potential.

I think he already is the best football player in the league.
Doesn't he have to get it done when it really matters, ie the playoffs, do it under adverse conditions, and continue to do it after the league gets a good book on him before he becomes the best player you've ever seen?

I'm not saying he hasn't been pretty amazing but still...

Old
10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Doesn't he have to get it done when it really matters, ie the playoffs, do it under adverse conditions, and continue to do it after the league gets a good book on him before he becomes the best player you've ever seen?

I'm not saying he hasn't been pretty amazing but still...
Agreed. And really, they haven't faced that many really good defenses yet. New York has one, and lost amidst all the accolades was the fact the offense turned the ball over four times in one half of that one. RGIII responsible for two of them just by himself.

There have also been long stretches of other games where the defense (usually rightfully) got thrown under the bus but the offense disappeared for long periods, the TB and StL games come to mind. Atlanta did a pretty good job keeping the Redskins off the scoreboard too and ended up taking out Griffin directly.

I agree the guy is so far an amazing player..but it's been seven games. And the Redskins have lost four of them, that's the real bottom line.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wins and Losses THIS year are not the bottom line. Showing progress and continuing to build around a franchise QB is what matters THIS year.

And it's not like you can blame RG3 for average playcalling in some of those games (and poor defensive showings).

I don't agree that RG3 is the best player in the league today, but he's clearly got the tools to be that guy down the road.

FWIW of the 7 teams the Skins have played this year, not all are bad and some are actually good, so let's not pretend things are worse than they are...

Saints - Last in Total D WIN
Rams - 10th LOSS
Bengals - 18th LOSS
Tampa - 25th WIN
Atlanta - 22nd LOSS
Vikings - 9th WIN
Giants - 24th LOSS

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 10-25-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 02:33 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

It is insane to declare someone as deserving of "best player status" and "worthy of all the hype and then some" before he's even done it for a whole season. Insane.

Consistency. Over years. After defenses can gameplan you. etc.

10-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

He has the potential but I fear he'll end up having a sophomore slump, and then the boo-birds will come out

He is exceptional right now but his career is still young. And this team is in every game, which is amazing. They play hard until the final whistle. They are going to win about 6 or 7 games this year. The defense is too bad to allow them to win more than that. But damn it...those 10 losses are going to be some damn good games to watch.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:20 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
It is insane to declare someone as deserving of "best player status" and "worthy of all the hype and then some" before he's even done it for a whole season. Insane.

Consistency. Over years. After defenses can gameplan you. etc.
Is it really? Is there a player out there right now that you'd rather have?

Wilbon has no love for the Skins and is a frothing Bear's fan. Even he can see it tho:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...er-in-the-nfl/

He's at the very least in the discussion thus making it "not insane" to suggest it.

Wilbon and Madden already made similar statements and pretty much everyone agrees he is in the discussion for the MVP of the league.

No its not far fetched to say he is the best player in the league.

When I first saw Mario Lemieux play there was no doubt in my mind he was a Hall of Famer. Same with Michael Jordan. This guy is in that class for his sport.

With RGIIIs combo of confidence, maturity, leadership, poise, decision making, insane accuracy, strong arm, and being the fastest player like EVER it stands to reason that he will be a legendary player.

So yes right now he is the best player in the league IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
He has the potential but I fear he'll end up having a sophomore slump, and then the boo-birds will come out

He is exceptional right now but his career is still young. And this team is in every game, which is amazing. They play hard until the final whistle. They are going to win about 6 or 7 games this year. The defense is too bad to allow them to win more than that. But damn it...those 10 losses are going to be some damn good games to watch.
I'll take that bet 10x over. I have absolutely no doubts he will be even better next year. You can just tell by his aura and intelligence.

Last edited by BobRouse: 10-25-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

My seven year old nephew is by far the best quarterback I've ever seen at that age. He's already reading defenses at a fifth grade level. He's definitely going to be a multiple time NFL MVP. I can tell by his aura and being the best player like EVER.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
My seven year old nephew is by far the best quarterback I've ever seen at that age. He's already reading defenses at a fifth grade level. He's definitely going to be a multiple time NFL MVP. I can tell by his aura and being the best player like EVER.
Reductio ad absurdum? Really Mystlyfe? I thought you were better than that. DONT BE THAT GUY!

Fact is that the Tinner is always right most of the time. Hfboards has for years failed to recognize this time and time again until too late.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'm having a total blast watching Griffin now, but I'm keeping my long term excitement in check until he keeps it up for all of this season and carries over into next season.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Reductio ad absurdum? Really Mystlyfe? I thought you were better than that. DONT BE THAT GUY!

Fact is that the Tinner is always right most of the time. Hfboards has for years failed to recognize this time and time again until too late.
I get where the hype is coming from and I'm definitely excited about RGIII. I just think that it's way too early to be throwing him into any type of "best QB" or "best player" or "MVP" type conversations (aside of Rookie of the Year).

I get it, but we've seen what's happened so far with Alex Ovechkin and Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg and John Wall as well. History is showing us a cautoniary tale. All of those players are excellent, with AO even achieving that "best player" status for a while. But it hasn't exactly been an era fill with post-season champaigne baths. Other teams adjust. Injuries happen. Consistency is hard to find.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:46 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
I get where the hype is coming from and I'm definitely excited about RGIII. I just think that it's way too early to be throwing him into any type of "best QB" or "best player" or "MVP" type conversations (aside of Rookie of the Year).

I get it, but we've seen what's happened so far with Alex Ovechkin and Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg and John Wall as well. History is showing us a cautoniary tale. All of those players are excellent, with AO even achieving that "best player" status for a while. But it hasn't exactly been an era fill with post-season champaigne baths. Other teams adjust. Injuries happen. Consistency is hard to find.
I don't dig baseball or basketball since they are wussy sports but I think I see what you are saying.

All atheletes are not cut from the same thread. RGIII is a leader of men in my book. This separates him from alot of guys with insane talent.

There is not one player in the NFL I'd trade him for on a one for one basis. Not Rodgers, not Brees and not Brady. To me this makes him the best player in the NFL. Thats my definition and I'm sticking with it.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
I don't dig baseball or basketball since they are wussy sports but I think I see what you are saying.

All atheletes are not cut from the same thread. RGIII is a leader of men in my book. This separates him from alot of guys with insane talent.

There is not one player in the NFL I'd trade him for on a one for one basis. Not Rodgers, not Brees and not Brady. To me this makes him the best player in the NFL. Thats my definition and I'm sticking with it.
Given RGIII's age and the state of the team as a whole right now, I definitely wouldn't trade him for Brees or Brady either. Rodgers would be a difficult choice, as we could still get at least 6 or 7 elite seasons out of him, and a couple more years as a quality starting QB after that. But my definition of "best player" doesn't match yours, as I do think Rodgers and Brees and Brady are all better players right now than RGIII. If I had to win this Sunday and didn't care about the future, I'd pick all three before I picked RGIII.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd take Rodgers and that's about it.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

That just makes you a homer...and that's ok, but there are better QBs to pick if you had to win a game today.

He'll be the best on the NFL when he's winning MVPs and playoff games.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:29 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Given RGIII's age and the state of the team as a whole right now, I definitely wouldn't trade him for Brees or Brady either. Rodgers would be a difficult choice, as we could still get at least 6 or 7 elite seasons out of him, and a couple more years as a quality starting QB after that. But my definition of "best player" doesn't match yours, as I do think Rodgers and Brees and Brady are all better players right now than RGIII. If I had to win this Sunday and didn't care about the future, I'd pick all three before I picked RGIII.
Look the Skins running game didn't just get good out of nowhere and Alfred Morris is no Emmit Smith. The reason its so good is b/c the utter game changing fear RGIII puts on opposing D.

He has played with a healthy #1 reciever for 1 quarter all season and now our only other real threat is out for the year as well. All those guys work with players FAR better than what RGIII has around him.

You put RGIII on any of those teams and their records would be equal or better with him.

I understand Skins fans are trying to be cautiously optomistic. I really do. But this is different.

There is no player in this league that causes more headaches and opposing DCs have to game plan for more than him. Not one. Not Brees, Manning squared, Brady or Rodgers. Did I mention not one of our receivers would start for ANY of those teams? Outside of maybe the Saints our D is far worse than those teams as well.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:40 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Love what Griffin has done, but it is a bit early to consider him an established star QB in the NFL.

What he does from the QB position is new to the NFL. It might take more than 7 games for NFL defensive coaches to scheme against him, but they will. Then how will Griffin and the Skins respond? That is the question.

I think Griffin has the IQ to succeed once teams start figuring him out, but Griffin and Baby Shanny have to prove they can successfully adapt.

First real test will be the 2nd Giants game on Dec 2nd. The Giants will surely have thought long and hard how to counter Griffin from their first meeting.

Having said all that, I am with others that feel we need more than a season of this level of play. The start of season 3 will say it all. By then Griffin will show if what we have seen to this point is who he is, or not.

Until then I will enjoy the ride.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:45 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Look the Skins running game didn't just get good out of nowhere and Alfred Morris is no Emmit Smith. The reason its so good is b/c the utter game changing fear RGIII puts on opposing D.

He has played with a healthy #1 reciever for 1 quarter all season and now our only other real threat is out for the year as well. All those guys work with players FAR better than what RGIII has around him.

You put RGIII on any of those teams and their records would be equal or better with him.

I understand Skins fans are trying to be cautiously optomistic. I really do. But this is different.

There is no player in this league that causes more headaches and opposing DCs have to game plan for more than him. Not one. Not Brees, Manning squared, Brady or Rodgers. Did I mention not one of our receivers would start for ANY of those teams? Outside of maybe the Saints our D is far worse than those teams as well.
Couldn't the same be said about OV? First handful of seasons he took the NHL by storm. Last couple he has been a shadow of his former self.

Could be many factors as to why, but one clear reason is defensemen have figured out how to play him. It took a while, but they did. Griffin can follow that same path. Have to wait and see.

I think Griffin is versatile enough to adapt to what is thrown at him, but it will take 2-3 years before we know for sure.

Closed Thread