HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XV): The Non-Frenzy Edition

Old
09-15-2012, 07:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
So Jacobs asks for a show of hands at the BOG as a show of support for Bettman and the lockout. The same Jacobs who gave out long term contracts longer than the length proposed by the NHL. Jacobs was one of two owners who was with Bettman and Daly when they met with the PA on Wednesday. Jacobs helped/authorized Bettman to increase the NHL offer and forget about changing what's in HRR.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bettman screams about the league paying too much in salaries so. From: @GlobeKPD
Sent: Sep 15, 2012 7:26a

Lucic to hit UFA 7/1/14. Now 5 yrs pro vs 2 for Seguin. Betting his $$ upward of Seguin's $5.75m. #Bruins.

sent via Twitter for iPhone
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/GlobeKPD/status/246932975814586368

Old
09-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Barnaby

So... Fowler just signed a 5 year - 20 million contract (4 million per).

It seems to me that he's being overpaid a bit even though he's got an extra couple of years there... what does this say about MDZ's value..?

Btw - I'm on board with Sather taking a hard stance here... I'm not quite sure how good MDZ can be. He's good offensively, but I don't see elite in his future. He grew leaps and bounds defensively, but he'll never be a shut down guy. He will be a prototypical 2-way 2nd pairing player in my mind. I'd still like to see the consistency before I handed him more than 2 years though - especially with the very real possibility of a lower cap number. (Not to mention - the very real need of resigning McDonough, Girardi, Staal in the future.)

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:01 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Owner's want cost control? So comical. How about...controlling yourselves?

Fowler's contract is too much. I know +/- is a flawed stat but he was -25 and -28 the last two years. Skinner's is crazy too. The complete abandonment of the second contract is a huge issue.

And it will not help Sather's hand with MDZ either. Not to say he will budge, but it's not gonna make MDZ happy.

09-15-2012, 09:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Owner's want cost control? So comical. How about...controlling yourselves?
This post could have been made seven years ago.

09-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
35 minutes

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:26 PM
NYRMatt

Should the Rangers have joined the trend and resigned Michael Del Zotto or does it really not matter? Every other team is resigning some key players.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Really stupid Sather didn't take advantage of giving McD (and possibly MDZ) long term contracts right now.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:53 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Really stupid Sather didn't take advantage of giving McD (and possibly MDZ) long term contracts right now.
Why the hell would you give long term contracts to guys who have only put in 2 solid seasons. Why would they overpay for them? Fowler is making $4 million. McDonagh is a better player than him. They haven't played enough to earn that kind of money. It's not Sather's fault other GM's are idiots.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Maybe it would be foolish but I would give McDonagh a long term contract today, no questions asked.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Maybe it would be foolish but I would give McDonagh a long term contract today, no questions asked.
Absolutely. If there is one guy on this team I want long term, it's McDonagh. I would've given him a contract identical to Tyler Myers.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:39 AM
turcotte8

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

6 years, $31.5 for Evander Kane in Winnipeg.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The Rangers’ offer to Group II free agent Michael Del Zotto coming off his Entry Level deal was for two or three years at upward of $2.5 million per. If the cap is squeezed coming out of the lockout, Del Zotto, who may see his arbitration rights and free-agent eligibility deferred as a result of the agreement, will get less; perhaps significantly less.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz26dn297Er

DZ should have taken the Rangers offer.

2 years. Upward of $2.5M. Bogosian signed a 2 year bridge contract worth $2.5M last summer. Erik Johnson signed 2 year bridge contract worth $2.6M per two years ago. He signed a long term contract this summer worth $3.75M.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:01 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I don't understand what the rush is to lock players up before the CBA expires, unless you are trying to sign a deal over 5 years.

Worst case scenario, players have exactly the same leverage they do now. They very well could have less (arbitration eligibility and UFA age), making the new-CBA deals cheaper.

I think Sather played it well. Only potential exception is McD; personally I would not mind locking him in. But I get that that is not his style, and I think it is better to err to far this way than too far the other way (locking players into big deals too early).

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I don't understand what the rush is to lock players up before the CBA expires, unless you are trying to sign a deal over 5 years.

Worst case scenario, players have exactly the same leverage they do now. They very well could have less (arbitration eligibility and UFA age), making the new-CBA deals cheaper.

I think Sather played it well. Only potential exception is McD; personally I would not mind locking him in. But I get that that is not his style, and I think it is better to err to far this way than too far the other way (locking players into big deals too early).
This. Don't understand the flurry of deals yesterday, teams in a hurry to overpay guys when the rules are about to change.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:56 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Was looking over the list of forwards still unsigned. Pretty slim pickings, but say that we have some cap space left for 2012/2013 when (if) all is said and done (a compliance buyout for Redden, del Zotto signs and say we sit on $2-3 M in space excl Sauer on LTIR).
Would adding any of these guys on the cheap for a one year deal (thinking for added regular season depth - especially if the season were to be compressed and we get a tighter schedule) make any sense or should we keep our space and deal at the deadline instead?
  • Jason Blake
  • Tom Kostopoulos
  • Andrew Brunette
  • Brendan Morrison
  • Kristian Huselius
  • Radek Dvorak
  • Marco Sturm
  • Jochen Hecht
  • Mathieu Darche
  • Petr Sykora
  • Jay Pandolfo
  • Daymond Langkow
  • Dominic Moore
  • Mike Knuble
  • Eric Fehr

Is there anybody else (in Europe?) that is unsigned that in that case might be a better option and also is available?
Do not shoot the messenger...just asking

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:01 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Was looking over the list of forwards still unsigned. Pretty slim pickings, but say that we have some cap space left for 2012/2013 when (if) all is said and done (a compliance buyout for Redden, del Zotto signs and say we sit on $2-3 M in space excl Sauer on LTIR).
Would adding any of these guys on the cheap for a one year deal (thinking for added regular season depth - especially if the season were to be compressed and we get a tighter schedule) make any sense or should we keep our space and deal at the deadline instead?
  • Jason Blake
  • Tom Kostopoulos
  • Andrew Brunette
  • Brendan Morrison
  • Kristian Huselius
  • Radek Dvorak
  • Marco Sturm
  • Jochen Hecht
  • Mathieu Darche
  • Petr Sykora
  • Jay Pandolfo
  • Daymond Langkow
  • Dominic Moore
  • Mike Knuble
  • Eric Fehr

Is there anybody else (in Europe?) that is unsigned that in that case might be a better option and also is available?
Do not shoot the messenger...just asking
Jason Arnott on the cheap.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:04 AM
NYR Viper

I actually think Darche is a decent depth player. Wouldn't mind signing him to be the 13th forward. Same goes for Kostopoulos and Dvorak.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

I wouldn't mind Eric Fehr

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:20 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

I said this a few times during the summer, but I would definitely like one of Langkow or Hecht as a short-term stopgap at 3rd line center (at the right price, of course).

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:29 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I said this a few times during the summer, but I would definitely like one of Langkow or Hecht as a short-term stopgap at 3rd line center (at the right price, of course).
Boyle is our 3C.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Boyle is our 3C.
I sense a 25 page dispute coming up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to join in.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:26 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Boyle is our 3C.
The weakest part of our lineup. (this is a good and bad thing)... When Boyle at 3C is your biggest problem, you've got a pretty solid lineup.

I'd say NYR weak spots...

1. 3C
2. Bottom D- Pairing (assuming Sauer isn't ready to go)
3. Variables in top 6. Who knows what we're going to get out of Stepan/Kreider/Hagelin this coming season.

EDIT - I'd rather have Boyle there than Hecht or Langkow though for sure.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
The weakest part of our lineup. (this is a good and bad thing)... When Boyle at 3C is your biggest problem, you've got a pretty solid lineup.

I'd say NYR weak spots...

1. 3C
2. Bottom D- Pairing (assuming Sauer isn't ready to go)
3. Variables in top 6. Who knows what we're going to get out of Stepan/Kreider/Hagelin this coming season.

EDIT - I'd rather have Boyle there than Hecht or Langkow though for sure.
My order in your weak spots above goes 2,3,1; and if I thought about it for more than 2 seconds, I could definitely find bigger issues than Brian Boyle being the 3C.

Depending on Hagelin and/or Kreider to be top 6 forwards is a much more pressing concern.

The Boyle thing comes down to a large portion of the fanbase having very unfair expectations about what a 3C needs to provide, especially in the dynamic of this squad -- and, in extreme cases, some particular crazy fans think Jason Arnott could do a better job.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
My order in your weak spots above goes 2,3,1; and if I thought about it for more than 2 seconds, I could definitely find bigger issues than Brian Boyle being the 3C.

Depending on Hagelin and/or Kreider to be top 6 forwards is a much more pressing concern.

The Boyle thing comes down to a large portion of the fanbase having very unfair expectations about what a 3C needs to provide, especially in the dynamic of this squad -- and, in extreme cases, some particular crazy fans think Jason Arnott could do a better job.
The Jason Arnott crowd are the sane crazy fans. At least we've progessed past J.T. Miller and Brendan Morrison.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote