NHL Network--B's Canadians 1978

Game 4 on right now....Game 5 on at 4.

Boy..Milbury could barely skate.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
McKuato

vCash: 500
Could barely think too. Lot's of boneheaded plays. Thought he was going to kill my grandfather who had a heart condition back in the day.

McKuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKuato View Post
Could barely think too. Lot's of boneheaded plays. Thought he was going to kill my grandfather who had a heart condition back in the day.
He really should be a case study in success. Literally had little talent, worst GM ever...literally...not saying for effect...ever. Terrible on every level. Yet he keeps getting jobs. Amazing really. I find him entertaining and all....but wow.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:49 AM
lextune
I'm too old for this

He was a good coach.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:49 PM
doc5hole

Milbury was a winger in high school, led a state quarterfinalist in scoring, also a football star. Went to Colgate, where he was converted to defense due to injuries, so the story goes. He got a tryout for the Bruins' AHL team, the Boston Braves, and his wife threw pucks into the corner of the rink for him to fetch, turn and pass out of his end. Rinse and repeat. He wound up with a 10-year NHL career as a regular on a team that went to two Cup finals and two semis in his first four NHL seasons. Had he and O'Reilly been healthy for the '83 playoffs, maybe the Bruins (50-20-10, first overall) give the dynastic Islanders a little more trouble than they did losing the conf. final in six. He wasn't pretty, but he was a very smart player and, if I recall, he scored a huge goal at NYI late in the 76-77 regular season as the Bruins went on that late-season surge to first place, first time the fans really got behind the Bruins again after Orr left and took half the STH's with him.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Has anybody counted the number of times he tries to get by Larry Robinson with the puck.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5hole View Post
Milbury was a winger in high school, led a state quarterfinalist in scoring, also a football star. Went to Colgate, where he was converted to defense due to injuries, so the story goes. He got a tryout for the Bruins' AHL team, the Boston Braves, and his wife threw pucks into the corner of the rink for him to fetch, turn and pass out of his end. Rinse and repeat. He wound up with a 10-year NHL career as a regular on a team that went to two Cup finals and two semis in his first four NHL seasons. Had he and O'Reilly been healthy for the '83 playoffs, maybe the Bruins (50-20-10, first overall) give the dynastic Islanders a little more trouble than they did losing the conf. final in six. He wasn't pretty, but he was a very smart player and, if I recall, he scored a huge goal at NYI late in the 76-77 regular season as the Bruins went on that late-season surge to first place, first time the fans really got behind the Bruins again after Orr left and took half the STH's with him.
Would have trouble making an ECHL roster today. Cherry liked him a lot for obvious reasons and that no doubt helped open the door.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Would have trouble making an ECHL roster today. Cherry liked him a lot for obvious reasons and that no doubt helped open the door.
You could say that about a lot of players from back then.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:31 AM
doc5hole

Exactly. O'Reilly said it about himself, but had he never gotten the chance in the state he was as a minor-leaguer, he never would have become an all-time-great Bruin who led them in scoring in a season in which they finished with the second-best record in the NHL and took IMO the greatest team of all time to six games in the Cup final.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:31 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
agree BUT he would have gone to a zillion camps, had better equipment and I bet ended up the same place- the most obvious reason Orr was so great was he skates like today and the guys back then skate like back then.

I saw Milbury's entire career and in the end he was very solid before he blew out his knee I think against dem dreaded Nordiques (Mick.....

just to add those players back then had superior hands and experience- they just didn't have the stuff available today.

soldiers in WW I & II my father's era were generally much smaller than people today but is their any doubt those boys could whip the crap out of today's spoiled kids. These kids today and I'd be one of them would be crapping their pants at what these guys endured.

Give the 70 Bruins a year with training, equipment, they would slaughter these guys today- the great Penguins would not win a game. Now, if the game was as is the other way around- but once the level field is even- or just take the Penguins helmets off, make them wear the same equipment and skates and its over

Last edited by DKH: 10-23-2012 at 04:37 AM.
DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Serge

Of weeds and men......

Last edited by Serge: 10-23-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Therick67

That 77-78 team was my alltime favorite up until 2 years ago. That team had huge balls and had alot more talent than they get credit for.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:41 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

If Gill (another underappreciated and miscast ex Bruin) can play for the Bs,Leafs,Pens,Habs and Preds then Milbury probably could too.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote