HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting a powerful snap-shot

Old
10-05-2012, 03:59 AM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Getting a powerful snap-shot

I'm talking about the modern-day NHL snap-shot that most snipers are using these days... that quick release, no pullback (as you would with a wrister) laser like shot. I've been trying to develop mine and get it harder and harder by shooting off the leg closest to the puck and leaning into my stick, but I can't be sure if I'm doing it correctly. Sometimes the puck flutters as well, but most of the time I keep it nice and saucer-esque.

Anyway, can anyone give me a couple of pointers or perhaps a mini-walkthrough on how you take YOUR snap-shot? Again, I'm not talking about the snap-shot that's like a mini-slapper, I'm talking about the shot with just a slight separation of the puck from the blade.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:52 AM
TieClark

It takes practice just like any other shot. I like to wind up for a wrist shot and pull it towards me just a bit and then snap it. It's easier to get solid power on it that way and it gets the goalie/d moving

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:49 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I've really tried to start using this shot b/c I find that wristers take way too long to set up and it is really hard to beat a goalie with one unless he's screened. My snap tends to rise a bit on goalies and it seems like they almost never expect them. I have the same issue as you in that sometimes mine flutter, but if I do it properly they stay flat.

Really all I do is let the puck separate from my blade a bit and then I try to focus on putting a lot of downward pressure on my stick. Again if done right the puck comes off like a rocket. If I don't put enough downward pressure on the puck then it flutters. The worst is when I try to rush it and the puck does not get off the ice. I have done that a couple times and you look like a true bender when that happens.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Check out my replies in this thread.

What you described I would say is a short windup slapshot. That is, using hip rotation, bearing into the ice to load the stick, etc. I'm talking about a snap shot, no windup, extremely quick release from a puck carrying position.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:38 AM
brom7

I'm assuming you mean a shot like this. All I can tell you is shoot, shoot, shoot. If you're shooting 100-200 pucks a day, you'll perfect it. Do some wrist curls and such. Stick length also matters.

Also, if you have weighted pucks, I highly recommend using them. Great way to get a quicker and more powerful shot.

Last edited by Jarick: 10-05-2012 at 10:40 AM.
brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:39 AM
brom7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_4kHSENgGo

Sorry about that last post, don't know why it didn't work. Here's link.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Devil Dancer

I've developed a decent writers, slap shot and backhand, and this is my next training project. I'm kind of dreading it, because right now my snap shot is pathetic.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That Heatley video is EXACTLY what I was describing. All the elements are there: trunk/shoulder rotation, forearm push/pull, and wrist roll (notice how the blade curls up after the release).

The only thing he did differently was to open up the blade slightly before shooting to throw off the goalie (who might have been squared up to the shot on the near post rather than the far post where he put the puck) and not cupping the puck, which is why it fluttered but he got off a quicker release.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:29 AM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by OduyaLaichBoyes View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_4kHSENgGo

Sorry about that last post, don't know why it didn't work. Here's link.
The puck flutters

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:53 AM
brom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
The puck flutters
haha, no one's perfect I guess

Old
10-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
The puck flutters
Puck wasn't in contact with the blade long enough to impart rotation

That can actually be a good thing sometimes, especially with lower speed shots. The flutter/knuckle puck thing throws off goalies and they will sometimes dip and take funny angles in the air. A buddy of mine does that (unintentionally).

Old
10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
JR97

another thing to notice on the Heatley goal is that he brings the puck back close to his feet.

I've been doing that more and more for my in close snappers and it makes the world of difference. I'm able to lean on the stick in the same motion and in stride for a quick release. Also by bringing the puck in a little closer to your body, you change the angle of the shot which can throw goalies off enough to open up some holes the blade of your stick can see.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:58 PM
ponder

My standard snapper off the inside foot, one that I'll take from further out, when I'm focusing more on power than getting it off super quick:

1) Get on inside skate
2) Draw puck slightly in and forward, closing blade to cup puck
3) With your weight really forward/into the shot, snap the puck off. You want good downward pressure, your weight should be really down into your lower hand, which is pushing forwards, while your upper hand is actually pulling back. Have a good, deep knee bend as well
4) Your blade opens up a bit through the shot (not too much), and then you close it again as you're releasing the puck to really get that spin, finishing with the tip of your blade more or less pointing at your target. The follow through should be pretty low unless you're in real close and really need to get the puck up quickly
5) Open hips and shoulders through the shot, almost like a baseball swing. This hip/shoulder rotation is more pronounced when you do the slower release version (where you end up on your outside foot instead of your inside foot), but it's still there with the quick release/inside foot version
6) Use outside leg to counter balance yourself, allowing you to really get that weight forward and into the shot

I'm basically going for this kind of technique:

IMO the most common mistake people make is to open up the blade too much through the shot, and to follow through too high. They end up shanking the puck, almost like they're using a sand wedge, and get these weak fluttering shots that they chip over the net. Really cup the puck, get your weight down and forward, and snap that puck off with a low follow through without ever opening up your blade excessively.

Last edited by ponder: 10-05-2012 at 06:17 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:13 PM
ponder

Side note, most shooters (myself included) keep their body pretty "quiet" through the shot, like in the Kessel video above. I've noticed that Semin doesn't, though, and he has arguably the nastiest snap/wrist shot in the league. He really gets his whole body into it when he shoots, almost whipping his upper body if that makes sense. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's a unique style that really works for him:

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by OduyaLaichBoyes View Post

I'm assuming you mean a shot like this. All I can tell you is shoot, shoot, shoot. If you're shooting 100-200 pucks a day, you'll perfect it. Do some wrist curls and such. Stick length also matters.

Also, if you have weighted pucks, I highly recommend using them. Great way to get a quicker and more powerful shot.
This is exactly the shot I'm talking about... I thought I described it like this but by Jarick's reaction I guess I didn't do a good enough job lol.

I do it like that now I just don't get enough power on it. I guess I just gotta shoot more and follow the tips you guys posted here.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
SCBruCrew4

Having trouble with my snapper

Hey guys,

So basically like the title says I'm having troubles with my snap shot. It has no velocity at all, and barely any lift. Also I feel that it is pointless for me to even try it since it's basically an embarassment for me right now lol.

A little background, I'm 6'2" and 160lbs, with a Bauer Nexus 400 87 Flex stick.

Basically how can I get more lift and "snap" to my shot?

Thanks for any tips/tricks/videos or anything else

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
NotProkofievian

Before last year I never had any sort of snap shot. I worked it over last winter using tips from this guy's video:

Getting the puck going before you snap really helps the velocity, I find. Plus if you're 1 on 1 with the goalie there's lots of options: fake the snap, go back hand, fake going back hand, get the snap shot, snap, to back hand fake, to forehand etc.

I'm 6'3, 220, and I have an Easton S19...75 flex(lolol)

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:03 PM
JR97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Hey guys,

So basically like the title says I'm having troubles with my snap shot. It has no velocity at all, and barely any lift. Also I feel that it is pointless for me to even try it since it's basically an embarassment for me right now lol.

A little background, I'm 6'2" and 160lbs, with a Bauer Nexus 400 87 Flex stick.

Basically how can I get more lift and "snap" to my shot?

Thanks for any tips/tricks/videos or anything else
At that size and flex you should be able to really lean on the stick for some serious pre-load. That almost sounds very inappropriate.

But seriously, weight transfer into the shot is what it's about. If there's a guy to emulate for weight transfer it's gotta be Joe Sakic. Look how at much he leans into his shot.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:05 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR97 View Post
MCLs of steel.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote