HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official "Ottawa RedBlacks" Thread Part I: "Embarrassing Logo" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 07:26 PM
BK201

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonster View Post

Royals has historic military significance btw...
i was 1/2 joking but i don't think it sounds right.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Secondary is perfect, I hope it becomes the primary.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
those are beautiful. i also prefer the H.O. logo, but i think they look awesome in the jersey and at the same time, the primary logo looks asgood in the helmet. i wouldnt replace.

(to clarify, i would prefer to buy, as a fan, a jersey with the H logo instead of the other.(which i also like)).

Old
10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
those are beautiful. i also prefer the H.O. logo, but i think they look awesome in the jersey and at the same time, the primary logo looks asgood in the helmet. i wouldnt replace.

(to clarify, i would prefer to buy, as a fan, a jersey with the H logo instead of the other.(which i also like)).
Once again, agreed.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:53 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

We can't have the word "Riders" in our name.

Give it up.

The bigger laughing stock is having such a small league with two teams with the same name.

Our team folded, Saskatchewan won, the end.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I don't get why people think we're going to be scrutinized for having two teams with the same name.

I mean, how often is the CFL brought up anywhere outside of Canada? Berman occasionally talks about it on ESPN Countdown, but certainly outside of Canada no one REALLY cares about the CFL.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

It's a sad, legal reality. We have to deal with it and move on. Also, to that effect, in my opinion the white R will always be the Rough Riders. Trying to find a team name with an R just because is a little silly, in my opinion at least. I don't think we should restrain ourselves to a letter, but rather try and create a new, timeless identity that can be ours for years to come.

Old
10-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Rumcajs

Looks great!

To the poster who questioned the name and its ability to be cheered...aren't we yelling Ott-a-wa as usual??

Old
10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
Agreed

Highlanders doesn't really roll off the tongue, can't really generate a good chant with it.

lets go Highlanders lets go *clap**clap*

go highlanders go

need simpler alliteration like

Ottawa Otters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Looks great!

To the poster who questioned the name and its ability to be cheered...aren't we yelling Ott-a-wa as usual??
I don't mean to upset anyone with this post, but why would chantability be a criteria in picking a name? This is the kind of thinking that bothers me sometimes, just in general "well we can't fill in the blank between go and go, so we're screwed as far as chants go". It's like there's a total lack of creativity.

I'm sorry, I can't remember who it is, but I remember it's a fellow board member who came up with the 11:11 Alfie chant. That's pretty cool. That's something that other players probably go "wtf are they counting down to"? That's original and Ottawa only.

Anyway, rant over. So as to fix this, the Cameron Highlanders and the City of Ottawa share the same "slogan" : Advance. So perhaps that might be a good place to look to come up with a chant. Btw, doesn't have to be flat out "Advance". Isn't there some RSU members here? Give those fellas a couple of cold ones and they'll come up with something great!

Old
10-23-2012, 07:23 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I don't mean to upset anyone with this post, but why would chantability be a criteria in picking a name? This is the kind of thinking that bothers me sometimes, just in general "well we can't fill in the blank between go and go, so we're screwed as far as chants go". It's like there's a total lack of creativity.

I'm sorry, I can't remember who it is, but I remember it's a fellow board member who came up with the 11:11 Alfie chant. That's pretty cool. That's something that other players probably go "wtf are they counting down to"? That's original and Ottawa only.

Anyway, rant over. So as to fix this, the Cameron Highlanders and the City of Ottawa share the same "slogan" : Advance. So perhaps that might be a good place to look to come up with a chant. Btw, doesn't have to be flat out "Advance". Isn't there some RSU members here? Give those fellas a couple of cold ones and they'll come up with something great!
When the team is created, we definitely need to come up with a Bills like chant after touchdown or field goal. For anyone who hasn't heard it, just type Bills shout song on Youtube.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:53 AM
mediumguts

Good looking jersey. Not a big fan of the name. It will be interesting to see some other concepts drawn up for comparison.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:28 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:

The whole count down was originally taken from Quebec fans rallying to get their team back. Whoever started the Alfie chant changed it to a unique Ottawa version, but that fan base deserves the credit for its "creation". I think it was Ottawa vs. New York Islanders(or Edmonton maybe) that the Nordique Nation showed up to do their count down sometime in the winter.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
Tally H-O!
There's your cheer lol.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

I get a feeling this might be more popular... Thoughts?

Last edited by Jerk Store: 03-20-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old
10-23-2012, 01:03 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Yeah that's better...even though I liked the other logo on the helmet as well.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:12 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I don't get why people think we're going to be scrutinized for having two teams with the same name.

I mean, how often is the CFL brought up anywhere outside of Canada? Berman occasionally talks about it on ESPN Countdown, but certainly outside of Canada no one REALLY cares about the CFL.
This, not to mention why is it a big deal. I don't care as long as both teams have a legitimate claim to the name.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:16 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
This, not to mention why is it a big deal. I don't care as long as both teams have a legitimate claim to the name.
What a bush league move. There are 9 teams and we couldn't find more than 9 names.....

People need to get off the Rough Rider kool-aid..they weren't even that good outside the 70s...

Old
10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
What a bush league move. There are 9 teams and we couldn't find more than 9 names.....

People need to get off the Rough Rider kool-aid..they weren't even that good outside the 70s...
Are you serious?

It's hardly a matter of whether or not we can "find another name". If you think it comes down to that, well there's not much to say.

Do people actually THINK that?

Old
10-23-2012, 02:16 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Are you serious?

It's hardly a matter of whether or not we can "find another name". If you think it comes down to that, well there's not much to say.

Do people actually THINK that?
The Rough Riders are long gone. Why should we ressurect a franchise which failed financially? Talk about a bad omen.

Fresh start is the only realistic course of action here so deal with it. Highlanders sounds good to me.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
The Rough Riders are long gone. Why should we ressurect a franchise which failed financially? Talk about a bad omen.

Fresh start is the only realistic course of action here so deal with it. Highlanders sounds good to me.
I love the Highlanders name, I'm not attached to the name Rough Riders, but the reasons (including the last one) you've provided are absolutely ridiculous to say the least.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
I get a feeling this might be more popular... Thoughts?
Sooooo sick!

I initially thought there would be too much negative space using that logo, but it looks fantastic on the helmet!

If you are going to move the soldier logo to the jersey, might I reccomend having the H/O logo above the HIGLANDERS lettering on the front of the jersey? (just underneath the CFL Logo, or even behind the Higlanders lettering.)

OR You could do something similar to what the Blue Bombers did on the front of their jersey:

Ottawa H/O Hightlanders

Last edited by benjiv1: 10-23-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old
10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Appreciate the work and explanation but Highlanders doesn't do for me although I like the logo design. As someone said it doesn't roll off the tongue very easily. I'm French speaking and many of the people I know would drop 'H' so it would sound like Islanders. Also look at the team nicknames Cats, Lions, Argos, (Green) Riders, Als, Stamps, Bombers and Esks all extracts from the team name. What would our team become The Landers? The Lands? Hope it doesn't become the Highs!!!! Funny too that the Highlanders would be based in a valley. I prefer something simple like Raiders or given only 2 choices even though I never liked the name that much I'd take Renegades over Highlanders.

btw) I wonder what would happen if Ryder Truck Rental and Leasing became a major sponsor and wanted the team named "Ryders". Could Saskatchewan legally block them?

Old
10-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Appreciate the work and explanation but Highlanders doesn't do for me although I like the logo design. As someone said it doesn't roll off the tongue very easily. I'm French speaking and many of the people I know would drop 'H' so it would sound like Islanders. Also look at the team nicknames Cats, Lions, Argos, (Green) Riders, Als, Stamps, Bombers and Esks all extracts from the team name. What would our team become The Landers? The Lands? Hope it doesn't become the Highs!!!! Funny too that the Highlanders would be based in a valley. I prefer something simple like Raiders or given only 2 choices even though I never liked the name that much I'd take Renegades over Highlanders.

btw) I wonder what would happen if Ryder Truck Rental and Leasing became a major sponsor and wanted the team named "Ryders". Could Saskatchewan legally block them?
Saskatchewan can't legally block them anyways.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:57 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

For some reason I'd see something like Stallions working well

Old
10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Saskatchewan can't legally block them anyways.
I mean legal within the CFL's own rules. I'm sure the CFL including Saskatchewan doesn't want the courts to get involved in an internal trademark war which they could easily lose.

From what I've read (real or not I don't know) the Saskatchewan Roughriders have demanded and been promised a CFL veto on another team using the name Rough Riders. They won't approve the team joining the league if they try to use that name or even just Riders. I don't know if that veto right is clearly spelled out by the CFL to include variations of the name like Ryders or even close names like the ones I suggested earlier Raiders, Rough Raiders or Ryders.

Closed Thread