HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Where Pens players play during lockout?

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
TrillMike

vCash: 500
I posted this in the OT thread earlier:

Hey guys, Stars fan here. I was just stopping by because I watched Crosby, Neal and Kunitz play with a bunch of other NHL players in Plano, TX a couple of hours ago. Crosby looks to be 100%. I think he scored 3-4 goals in the organized scrimmage with 12-minute periods. Your guys played with a bunch of Stars and Sabres. Ott, Fowler, Daley, Mike Weber, Souray, Fidler, Purcell, Cleary, Whitney and Clowe were some of the other guys playing.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
thanks for the info!

Old
10-23-2012, 06:44 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I posted this in the OT thread earlier:

Hey guys, Stars fan here. I was just stopping by because I watched Crosby, Neal and Kunitz play with a bunch of other NHL players in Plano, TX a couple of hours ago. Crosby looks to be 100%. I think he scored 3-4 goals in the organized scrimmage with 12-minute periods. Your guys played with a bunch of Stars and Sabres. Ott, Fowler, Daley, Mike Weber, Souray, Fidler, Purcell, Cleary, Whitney and Clowe were some of the other guys playing.
Very cool. Was wondering where you went in the other thread. Found it here. Heh.

Old
10-23-2012, 06:55 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Very cool. Was wondering where you went in the other thread. Found it here. Heh.
Ya, didn't see this thread till after I posted in that one. It was cool seeing your guys play at a random rink down here. Aparently they chose Plano to stay away from te media and for all the golf courses around DFW.

I didn't mention it in this thread, but the players wore jerseys with the NHLPA logo on the front with the letters P and A bolded. The back of the jerseys did not have numbers. The bottom of the back read "#theplayers."

They had the complex lock the doors to the rink they were playing on. I watched them from upstairs with around 50 other people. It started at 10:45 am on a work day, so not many people were there.

The former Panthers coach (name escapes me) and a local coach ran practice. They all look like they were having fun.

Old
10-24-2012, 03:46 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Engo picked up his two first points for Rosenborg in yesterdays SOW. His stats thus far:
GP G A P +/- PIM SOG
3 0 2 2 -3 4 14

Probably played 30 minutes the last two games. Both points last night were scored on the pp.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
Engo picked up his two first points for Rosenborg in yesterdays SOW. His stats thus far:
GP G A P +/- PIM SOG
3 0 2 2 -3 4 14

Probably played 30 minutes the last two games. Both points last night were scored on the pp.
Good for him, I like Deryk. And I think his skating and shot improved a lot the last two years, I hope he can take advantade of his prominent role and work on his offense even more.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:37 PM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Good for him, I like Deryk. And I think his skating and shot improved a lot the last two years, I hope he can take advantade of his prominent role and work on his offense even more.
Picked up another two points tonight in an OTL. Even so, he hasn't really been the biggest factor on ice this far, and we're probably expecting a bit too much from him there. After all he hasn't played hockey in a few months.

Where I really have to give him credit, is off ice. He's been great in the locker room (reportedly), and he's wonderful with the fans, be it Rosenborg fans or fans of the opponent. Whenever the guys are on the road he always takes the time to sign autographs and let the home fans (surprisingly many of them wearing Pens uniforms) get their picture taken with him or have a quick chat.

He's also good with the media and gives lengthy interviews even if he's in a hurry. Team mates like him, coaches like him and the fans love him. So thanks for letting us have him for a while. I hope Gary and Don keep acting like turds.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:35 PM
TrillMike

Stars fan here again. I drove back to that rink the locked out players are playing at again today (waaaay out of my way). The scrimmage was a lot more even today. It actually went to over time. Neal scored the OT winner on a one-knee one-timer from the RW outside hash marks. If I remember correctly the play was set. Up by Fidler and Crosby. Really sick goal to go along with his other 2. Things really picked up in the 3rd. It almost seemed like a real NHL game.

There was a lot more fans there today. I actually got to meet Crosby after and he signed a puck for me. Neal hasn't made an appearance with the fans the two times I have been there. It's been really fun watching all these guys play at a random rink in Texas this week.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:39 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Stars fan here again. I drove back to that rink the locked out players are playing at again today (waaaay out of my way). The scrimmage was a lot more even today. It actually went to over time. Neal scored the OT winner on a one-knee one-timer from the RW outside hash marks. If I remember correctly the play was set. Up by Fidler and Crosby. Really sick goal to go along with his other 2. Things really picked up in the 3rd. It almost seemed like a real NHL game.

There was a lot more fans there today. I actually got to meet Crosby after and he signed a puck for me. Neal hasn't made an appearance with the fans the two times I have been there. It's been really fun watching all these guys play at a random rink in Texas this week.
Very cool man.
I seen some pics of all the people watching from the gallery and the line for the autograph session. Who all were signing autographs?

As a side note. Sid's been spending the bulk of his time practicing with Kunitz this off-season. Pretty much a given the Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis and Neal-Geno-whoknows will be our top 2 lines.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:25 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Very cool man.
I seen some pics of all the people watching from the gallery and the line for the autograph session. Who all were signing autographs?

As a side note. Sid's been spending the bulk of his time practicing with Kunitz this off-season. Pretty much a given the Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis and Neal-Geno-whoknows will be our top 2 lines.
Other than Crosby, it was mostly Stars/ex-Stars signing stuff. I will admit, Crosby went above and beyond today. He signed 100ish autographs, that really made me (a non Crosby guy) rethink my opinion on him. He's a f-ing awesome player, I just didn't really like him until today. He was a really cool guy.

This whole event was started by Stars and ex-Stars. Dallas is a great city and a lot of the hockey players that have played here end up retiring/living somewhere in DFW (that means the Dallas/Fort. Worth area). Crosby and Kunitz got invited by Neal (I assume Neal got an invite from Daley or Ott). Souray brought Cam Fowler... I won't get into how everyone got invited.

It was a lot of fun and it was really cool seeing guys that will never play together actually build some chemistry.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:44 AM
SidTheKid8787

Cool Trill.
Thx for stopping by with the info.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:17 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Dustin Jeffrey another point for his lockout team, in 5:1 win over current champion, he recorded asist, now he has 8 points from 5 games.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Kshahdoo

It looks like SKA is gonna sign another NHLer. And some people say it can be Crosby... SKA is one of the teams which can pay Sid a lot, but they need wingers, not centers. But Sid is Sid. The line Kovalchuk-Crosby-Tarasenko would look not that bad...

Old
10-26-2012, 04:27 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
It looks like SKA is gonna sign another NHLer. And some people say it can be Crosby... SKA is one of the teams which can pay Sid a lot, but they need wingers, not centers. But Sid is Sid. The line Kovalchuk-Crosby-Tarasenko would look not that bad...
That would be totally badass.
I know Sid ain't travelling the country going to these high tempo training camps for nothin'.
Are there any players Sid has some familiarity with on SKA?
I guess he can't be picky here if he wants to play competitive, high level hockey with the insurance costs.

It would be weird seeing him dawn a very Russian'esque uniform but very cool at the same time.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
That would be totally badass.
I know Sid ain't travelling the country going to these high tempo training camps for nothin'.
Are there any players Sid has some familiarity with on SKA?
I guess he can't be picky here if he wants to play competitive, high level hockey with the insurance costs.

It would be weird seeing him dawn a very Russian'esque uniform but very cool at the same time.
Hardly. If you don't count all stars weekends where he and Kovy could obviously see each other... Well, and Saint-Petersburg isn't the worst place in the world to live.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Jacob

SKA seems like a reasonable destination for Sid.. but I've always felt like he'd go somewhere he'd have friends, or sign with a teammate as a package deal.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:56 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
SKA seems like a reasonable destination for Sid.. but I've always felt like he'd go somewhere he'd have friends, or sign with a teammate as a package deal.
I was thinking the same thing as well but he can't be too picky, with the price tag he comes with(insurance alone).

I'm thinking this next week or so, alot of the top end talent sign on overseas. A good month plus of higher level competition is gonna do them better than staying at home twiddling their thumbs with the prospect of a season starting soon very unlikely.

Last edited by SidTheKid8787: 10-29-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old
10-28-2012, 06:12 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Dustin Jeffrey with another point, goal, for his lockout team Medvescak in EBEL league. Medvescak won 5:1, Jeffrey scored 5th goal.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:21 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

I must say that Jeffrey is one of selected few that actually do look like real NHLers out there on the ice. Sure talent level is there for all of them, but your boy is skating hard and really giving his best in all games. Many others are basically just waiting for lockout to end.
F.e. Michael Grabner and his VSV were visiting last night (they are a league leader, so it's not like he has noone to play with). I had to make an effort to actually find Grabner on the ice. I must admitt it seems my beloved Clarkson is also suffering from "EBEL effect". Vanek, Enstrom too.
But not your boy You could spot him on the ice even if you were watching from an airplane

Old
10-29-2012, 06:26 AM
wej20

I think Jeffrey's giving his 100% as he had a season interrupted by injury and being scratched last year, he's got some decent playmaking skills so the extra space helps him to.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:06 AM
JTG

I'm really not sure what to do with Dustin Jeffrey on this team.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm really not sure what to do with Dustin Jeffrey on this team.
fill in any bottom 6 hole that will inevitable come up due to injury. Or steal a spot from someone like Craig Adams even.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:39 AM
JTG

We both know no one is stealing **** from Craig Adams, as logical as it sounds.

And I do believe Jeffrey is an every day NHL'er. Only so long he can sit in the press box before he tries forcing his hand and getting out of here.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:46 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsZG View Post
I must say that Jeffrey is one of selected few that actually do look like real NHLers out there on the ice. Sure talent level is there for all of them, but your boy is skating hard and really giving his best in all games. Many others are basically just waiting for lockout to end.
F.e. Michael Grabner and his VSV were visiting last night (they are a league leader, so it's not like he has noone to play with). I had to make an effort to actually find Grabner on the ice.
Jeffrey outplayed Grabner big time. If I noticed correctly Grabner didn't have single shot on goal, maybe one, but nothing dangerous. On other side Jeffrey was all over the ice...his best game since he signed for Medvescak.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:01 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I think Jeffrey's giving his 100% as he had a season interrupted by injury and being scratched last year, he's got some decent playmaking skills so the extra space helps him to.
Plus there is serious talk about Medvescak joining KHL next season. So it wouldn't hurt him to leave a good impresion. In case he needs a job in future.

Anyway - that boy came here to play

Closed Thread