HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
From the time JD was hired in St L they went from 57 pts (I think) to over 100 last year.

From the time Howson was hired to last year the Jackets regressed to the worst team in the league.

How could anyone argue that bringing Davidson here would be bad?
I am all in favor of bring in JD, even if he decides to remove Scott Howson.

But you distort his record a bit, the CBJ have had their highest point totals under him (SH) and last years finish is more the result of an incredible amount of injuries including over 100 man games lost in goal.

Howson has made mistakes. I thought Arniel was a good choice, it was not. The Nash ordeal was not handled well. Certainly pluses and minuses, but overall the Jackets are and have been a better team than under Doug.

We may never know what the dynamics have been in the front office to this date and we can only guess what they might be under Davidson, but with or without GMSH it will be an improvement.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Hockey-smart people like John Davidson know all of the facts anyhow. He knows what we have in our system, especially coming from the Blues, where he likely scouted our system as much as our own brass did, if nothing else but to get a feel for what the future competition was.
...and yet we have Nikita Nikitin, and they have Kris Russell.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Howson has made mistakes. I thought Arniel was a good choice, it was not. The Nash ordeal was not handled well. Certainly pluses and minuses, but overall the Jackets are and have been a better team than under Doug.
This is part of why I'm pretty forgiving of Howson despite no longer being in the "no, you just can't fire him" crowd. That and the fact that it would have taken a turnaround of Lou Lamoriello proportions to make something out of what MacLean left behind. He's had too many of his own self-driven screwups, though.

I still think he's capable of getting the job done. I no longer have faith that it's likely, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
You don't question the future HoF coach.
even if he's being crazy

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
So base his entire tenure - including improving a league-worst 57 point team to a top of the conference team - on one one-for-one trade, dealing away a guy who was a depth defenseman and getting a depth defenseman in return.

Terrible guy, no hockey sense at all.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:22 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I guess the President of Hockey Operations makes all player moves. Was there something we were trying to prove?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
So base his entire tenure - including improving a league-worst 57 point team to a top of the conference team - on one one-for-one trade, dealing away a guy who was a depth defenseman and getting a depth defenseman in return.

Terrible guy, no hockey sense at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I guess the President of Hockey Operations makes all player moves. Was there something we were trying to prove?
The statement was that Davidson probably scouted the CBJ roster and farm system extensively. I pointed out that, despite that knowledge, a deal was made that involved gaining a defenseman who, in five NHL seasons, had shown minimal progress toward putting his game together. In the process, they gave up someone who had clear talent but was still adjusting to the North American game.

Now, it's entirely possible that Russell is one of those "Hitchcock guys", who he feels some bizarre and illogical attachment to. Mike Keenan had a few of them, notably Brian Noonan, and several other coaches have them as well. If Hitchcock ends up somewhere else, we'll only know in the event that Russell goes there shortly afterward.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:47 PM
blahblah

Quote:
The statement was that Davidson probably scouted the CBJ roster and farm system extensively. I pointed out that, despite that knowledge, a deal was made that involved gaining a defenseman who, in five NHL seasons, had shown minimal progress toward putting his game together. In the process, they gave up someone who had clear talent but was still adjusting to the North American game.
No one thought anything of the deal for Nikitin. It's worked out, for half a season. I don't know anything that thought Niktin was going to produce at the level he has, and I'm 99.99999999% sure Howson didn't think it would work out this well to this point. It makes no difference to anything in this conversation. It doesn't prove anything about Davidson's abilities or lack there of. It certainly doesn't suggest anything about the depth in which Davidson scouted our roster or how well he did. It's a non story. Hell we don't even know what role Davidson even played when the decision was made.

It was considered a trade of 5/6 guys at the time.

Last edited by blahblah: 10-20-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Did you used to work with Winston Smith?

Old
10-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
No one thought anything of the deal for Nikitin. It's worked out, for half a season. I don't know anything that thought Niktin was going to produce at the level he has, and I'm 99.99999999% sure Howson didn't think it would work out this well to this point. It makes no difference to anything in this conversation. It doesn't prove anything about Davidson's abilities or lack there of. It certainly doesn't suggest anything about the depth in which Davidson scouted our roster or how well he did. It's a non story. Hell we don't even know what role Davidson even played when the decision was made.

It was considered a trade of 5/6 guys at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Did you used to work with Winston Smith?
Hold on, I'm confused here. If the last few months have taught me anything, it's that people higher than the GM need to get credit because they orchestrate the good moves, while the GM is supposed to be blasted because he's responsible for the bad moves. But it would stand to reason that both are in some way responsible for making moves in general.

(Stripped-down version: Yes, I know this is woefully inaccurate. This is me taking another soft jab at those who will heap credit on Craig Patrick for everything that happened after he arrived, while throwing gasoline on Howson for everything else. And let's not forget that it's been said a few times that the Nikitin deal was a credit to Patrick, even though he wasn't around at all.)

Also, if I used to work with Winston Smith, there are two possible insinuations. One is that I was captured, sent to Room 101, and eventually purged (after a brief interlude at the Chestnut Tree Cafe). The other is that I'm simply too dumb to think for myself, and therefore stay alive because I don't question anything or wonder anything. Which is it?

Old
10-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Chalk one vote up for who gives a damn.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Hold on, I'm confused here. If the last few months have taught me anything, it's that people higher than the GM need to get credit because they orchestrate the good moves, while the GM is supposed to be blasted because he's responsible for the bad moves. But it would stand to reason that both are in some way responsible for making moves in general.

(Stripped-down version: Yes, I know this is woefully inaccurate. This is me taking another soft jab at those who will heap credit on Craig Patrick for everything that happened after he arrived, while throwing gasoline on Howson for everything else. And let's not forget that it's been said a few times that the Nikitin deal was a credit to Patrick, even though he wasn't around at all.)
I do not expect the President to have the same level of in depth knowledge of players as the GM. Nikitin for Russell was a nothing move that proves nothing. The President of Hockey operations would be responsible for who the GM is, but I wouldn't expect him to micro-manage transactions. If that were the case there would be no reason to have a GM, thus back to the Dougie days.

The Partick stuff isn't worth talking about or bringing into this. We never knew his exact role and how responsible he was for the moves made after he was hired.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:56 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Fixed it for you. Howson's team's setbacks are viewed as that much greater because he created higher expectations to begin with.
Really?

So it has nothing to do with being the worst team in the NHL last year?

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
I do not expect the President to have the same level of in depth knowledge of players as the GM. Nikitin for Russell was a nothing move that proves nothing. The President of Hockey operations would be responsible for who the GM is, but I wouldn't expect him to micro-manage transactions. If that were the case there would be no reason to have a GM, thus back to the Dougie days.

The Partick stuff isn't worth talking about or bringing into this. We never knew his exact role and how responsible he was for the moves made after he was hired.
This.

I don't think anyone thought "Nikitin is a top-4 defenseman being wasted sitting in the press box." Nikitin's success thus far has been more a story of what he's worked hard to accomplish, not Howson being "smart."

It takes more than a few (Nikitin, Atkinson) cases of being right before I start giving Howson credit again. And even then Nikitin and Atkinson need to keep it up and not regress.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:29 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug61 View Post
chalk one vote up for who gives a damn.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I don't think anyone thought "Nikitin is a top-4 defenseman being wasted sitting in the press box." Nikitin's success thus far has been more a story of what he's worked hard to accomplish, not Howson being "smart."
But Jeff Carter's dismal failure here is a story of Howson being an idiot, rather than Carter's unwillingness to actually step up and play and be part of the team.

Are MB and I the only ones seeing the double standard in place here?

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:29 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You do appear to be the only ones who have chosen to make a crusade of it. Howson's a professional, the opinions here don't concern him nearly as much as they seem to concern you.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
But Jeff Carter's dismal failure here is a story of Howson being an idiot, rather than Carter's unwillingness to actually step up and play and be part of the team.

No, I'm still here.

But the general opinion of GMSH's performance seems to be cast in stone. I will also agree with Pete I doubt he looses a whole lot of sleep over what gets posted on a particular Hockey board. There's an old saying about and for GM's: if you start listening to those in the stands you'll soon be joining them.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:55 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Puck-rakers: #CBJ nearing deal to hire John Davidson as president of hockey operations, sources have told The Dispatch

Told an announcement on Davidson's hiring is forthcoming, perhaps as soon as Wednesday.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...e-to-deal.html

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:56 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

according to Aaron Portzline jackets plan to announce it tomorrow

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:00 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
Every indication is that Scott Howson, Chris MacFarland and Craig Patrick will be retained, but Davidson has domain over all of hockey ops.
thats the word all over twitter world

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Nice! :-) After the abundantly ****** day I've had it's nice to get some great news!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:14 PM
FANonymous

Here's hoping he's the miracle worker we all hear that he is!

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:25 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 398
The man adds credibility and experience to the CBJ front office. This is a great day for the CBJ.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Looks as if a protest or two works.... Priest is out Davidson is in... Within a year Howson will be gone too...

Let’s face it the CBJ needed a shakeup... here is the real good news.. This lockout is going to help the Blue Jackets. Johansen is playing first line in the minors and doing well as many others...

Good move by McConnell...

Last edited by Robert: 10-23-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2400
Yes!!!

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote