HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will a future Flyer wear #88?

View Poll Results: Will the #88 ever be chosen by another Flyer?
Yes 9 15.25%
No 50 84.75%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Actually, he hasn't. His point production in the regular season and playoffs has dropped a good amount...which is why I think when you combine that with his off ice habits, he'd never last here. Hell, a lot of Hawks fans were getting disgruntled with him last year.

10-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Actually, he hasn't. His point production in the regular season and playoffs has dropped a good amount...which is why I think when you combine that with his off ice habits, he'd never last here. Hell, a lot of Hawks fans were getting disgruntled with him last year.
His playoff stats have dropped because the hawks have played less games each year..

09 : 14 pts in 16 games
10 : 28 pts in 22 games
11 : 6 pts in 7 games
12 : 4 pts in 6 games

AS for the regular season stats, this past season is the only one that was really a drop off. The 2010-11 season he was still at a ppg with 73 pts in 73 games.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
His playoff stats have dropped because the hawks have played less games each year..

09 : 14 pts in 16 games
10 : 28 pts in 22 games
11 : 6 pts in 7 games
12 : 4 pts in 6 games

AS for the regular season stats, this past season is the only one that was really a drop off. The 2010-11 season he was still at a ppg with 73 pts in 73 games.
73 points in 73 games is less than 88 points in 82 games. His goal production has leveled off to nearly nothing in the playoffs; he didn't tally a single one last year. Hell, his regular season goal scoring dropped too.

Again, when Carter did that (had his production decline from his peak, while partying) he was the Ultimate Evil; the double standard strikes once again. I just don't get how anybody can objectively look at Pat Kane, then consider how Carter was treated here, and think he'd be accepted. Throw in the 88 and it gets worse for a lot of people because some fans still hold a grudge against Lindros.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:14 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I think there's still a reasonable chance that #88 will hang from the rafters, so I'd say 'no'.

10-23-2012, 02:28 AM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
I think the flyers will retire 88 when/if Lindros gets into the HHOF

until then, i don't think anyone should be allowed to wear it unless they're physically larger than Lindros was (talent a must too)

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:59 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Kane- 51 Playoff GP, 52 points
Carter (with flyers) - 41 GP, 21 points
With kings- 20 GP 13 points

Kane is over a ppg player in the playoffs, Carter isnt even close. If Kane put up those numbers here then no he would not have been run out of town like Carter

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:16 AM
RussianRocket10

vCash: 500
Yes. It will be me.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Ola

They should definitely give it to F-tank.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
Kane- 51 Playoff GP, 52 points
Carter (with flyers) - 41 GP, 21 points
With kings- 20 GP 13 points

Kane is over a ppg player in the playoffs, Carter isnt even close. If Kane put up those numbers here then no he would not have been run out of town like Carter
Like usual, people dismiss the broken feet, separated shoulders, and knee injuries. You're comparing a healthy player to an injured one.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I wish we got Kane..at least we would have gotten a better ROI than JVR and Carter when it mattered most regardless of the excuses whether legit or not...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Like usual, people dismiss the broken feet, separated shoulders, and knee injuries. You're comparing a healthy player to an injured one.
So for carter :
constant injuries
Parties
terrible playoff stats

for kane :
parties

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:13 PM
kicksave27

I've always been under the impression that numbers that are specifically tied to one player like 99,66 or 68 are something that players steer clear of, even in college or growing up nobody did that. While lindros was amazing and wore that number since jr's, he didn't have the longevity to be a sure fire HOFer and isn't a deterrent leaguewide for players ie kane, mueller. But for the flyers, I truly doubt anyone wears 88 again even if he doesn't get his number retired.

Still the most physically dominate scorer I ever saw. He could go around you, but he'd rather go through you.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Ultimately, that isn't what matters. You argued that Kane would have been more 'reviled' than Carter was.

Well, not if Kane produced at a PPG clip in the playoffs. Players who show up in recent playoffs don't get targeted for the hate in this town. It was interesting that you brought up Briere. Playoff production has been Briere's saving grace, and it has prevented his contract from being viewed as a gigantic bust. Carter did not have the playoff results, so he did not get the pardon from fans. The underlying reasons don't matter.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Tom Sestito will. When he returns from England.
Would love to see him wear 88.
On the Phantoms

Quote:
So for carter :
constant injuries
Parties
terrible playoff stats

for kane :
parties
add beating up cab driver in there as well

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
So for carter :
constant injuries
Parties
terrible playoff stats

for kane :
parties
No, it's more like this.

For both players:

Carter: Hit a peak early. Hasn't hit it since. Fanbase tars and feathers him for it because he dares to be seen having fun. Struggles to produce in playoffs through major injuries (which are somehow his fault and makes him lazy,despite playing through them), is finally healthy and does very well.

Kane: Hit a peak early. Hasn't hit it since. Flyers fanbase surprisingly cool with that, despite the fact that he clearly parties more than Carter. Has steadily declined in the playoffs, becoming a non-factor in their last performance. Has no injuries as an excuse. Flyers fans also somehow cool with that too; don't produce while injured? BUM! Don't produce while healthy? It's all good.

Either our fanbase would turn on Kane rapidly (Likely while having crazy expectations of him), or the hilariously illogical treatment of Carter looks even more ridiculous than it already was/is.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
No, it's more like this.

For both players:

Carter: Hit a peak early. Hasn't hit it since. Fanbase tars and feathers him for it because he dares to be seen having fun. Struggles to produce in playoffs through major injuries (which are somehow his fault and makes him lazy,despite playing through them), is finally healthy and does very well.

Kane: Hit a peak early. Hasn't hit it since. Flyers fanbase surprisingly cool with that, despite the fact that he clearly parties more than Carter. Has steadily declined in the playoffs, becoming a non-factor in their last performance. Has no injuries as an excuse. Flyers fans also somehow cool with that too; don't produce while injured? BUM! Don't produce while healthy? It's all good.

Either our fanbase would turn on Kane rapidly (Likely while having crazy expectations of him), or the hilariously illogical treatment of Carter looks even more ridiculous than it already was/is.
I completely agree with this. good post.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

If Kane came here, he'd be run out of town and then 88 would never be worn again not out of respect for Lindros, but because fans would claim it's cursed.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
No, it's more like this.

For both players:

It's all a matter of degree. 50 points in 50 playoff games would keep Kane more insulated from fan discontent and require a lot more momentum to reach a tipping point. His status would not be nearly as precarious as Carter's was.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:26 PM
bp spec

I really doubt it.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
It's all a matter of degree. 50 points in 50 playoff games would keep Kane more insulated from fan discontent and require a lot more momentum to reach a tipping point. His status would not be nearly as precarious as Carter's was.
A LOT of Chicago fans were disgruntled with Kane this year, despite his playoff performance and SC goal. Hell, a lot of Flyers fans were disgruntled with Briere, despite his playoff performance. You really think Kane would be given a golden ticket, especially when you consider his very well known off-ice habits?

Old
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
A LOT of Chicago fans were disgruntled with Kane this year, despite his playoff performance and SC goal. Hell, a lot of Flyers fans were disgruntled with Briere, despite his playoff performance. You really think Kane would be given a golden ticket, especially when you consider his very well known off-ice habits?
For a while anyway yea, if he scored the GWG of G7 and we have a cup yea. Think Brad Lidge Phillies.

When you win you are revered, when you are close you are reviled, when you flat out suck we are apathetic. Philly sports 101

As for the OP, I selected no because I don't think it should be. However it likely will, I never thought I'd see another 10 after LeClair and then Kris Versteeg who has worn 32 throughout his career gets it when hes here.

Last edited by PALE PWNR: 10-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.
PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
For a while anyway yea, if he scored the GWG of G7 and we have a cup yea. Think Brad Lidge Phillies.

When you win you are revered, when you are close you are reviled, when you flat out suck we are apathetic. Philly sports 101

As for the OP, I selected no because I don't think it should be. However it likely will, I never thought I'd see another 10 after LeClair and then Kris Versteeg who has worn 32 throughout his career gets it when hes here.
How do you feel about Brayden Schenn wearing #10? Personally I think it fits him, and I think he wears it because of Pavel Bure which is awesome too. I kinda liked when Richards switched to 10 in LA too

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:43 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
How do you feel about Brayden Schenn wearing #10? Personally I think it fits him, and I think he wears it because of Pavel Bure which is awesome too. I kinda liked when Richards switched to 10 in LA too
Schenn's a bit different I would have been just as shocked if it was Schenn wearing #10 first as well, but he is also a potential super star player and will be on the team for a long time. Honestly I bought his jersey before he stepped foot on Philly ice so that should be pretty indicative of how I feel, I think hes going to be great. Versteeg was different because he had bounced around and likely wasn't going to be here very long. While LeClair put up 50 goals a bunch of times during his career here, Versteeg is and always will be a 40-50 pt player. Richards switching to 10 I think had more to do with 18 being retired in LA.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Kane scored a Stanley Cup game winner. Carter couldnt hit the open net...

just sayin.
Carter DID score a Stanley Cup game winner.

Just sayin.

On the topic, it's clear that they're waiting for Lindros to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, after which they will retire the number.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Bryz4shiz

You know that guy led the league in playoff goals last year right?

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote