HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
I want to try Rielly at center with Kessel. That could be a dangerous duo offensively. Both have the speed to backcheck hard too. Just need to convince BOTH of them to do so.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Alflives

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
People need to take into account that Rielly's gloves came off a full 3-4 seconds after Walker's. He didn't want to fight, but answered the bell.
That's because he was expecting a teammate would step in. It's good he stood up for himself, but it's also a sad commentary on his current teammates. Talented players, like Rielly, will (at times) need to stand up for themselves, but this was a circumstance where a teammate should have been there to take on that role.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:31 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I want to try Rielly at center with Kessel. That could be a dangerous duo offensively. Both have the speed to backcheck hard too. Just need to convince BOTH of them to do so.
Are you serious>?

Every freaken time there is a good skating offensive dman some goofs clamor to move them up front.

News Flash. Erik Karlsson is worth more as a dman than as a random forward. Tomas Kaberle the same thing.... Morgan Rielly will be the same way.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
I wonder if Gardiner can take faceoffs...

Old
10-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Nazem Rielly

Thanks for the clear up guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
Who knows with the new CBA?

But by the current/past? CBA, no. You have to play something like 32 games for it to count as a year against the ELC.

The 9 games players are allowed is for the RFA status. If a player plays 10, he's eligible for UFA status a year sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Pretty sure no. Percy/McKegg and others have done that in the past. I think they get put on some sort of temporary contract thing that doesn't count as part of the ELC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
No, because players in those cases sign PTO's (try-out contracts that last a limited amount of days..IIRC).

Old
10-18-2012, 09:04 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
That's because he was expecting a teammate would step in. It's good he stood up for himself, but it's also a sad commentary on his current teammates. Talented players, like Rielly, will (at times) need to stand up for themselves, but this was a circumstance where a teammate should have been there to take on that role.
It looked like a good hockey scrap to me....not really sure what you expect from his teammates there.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
RogerRoeper*

Could Burke Have Been Right About Rielly being rated at the top of The Draft?

No this isn't my opinion. But it was interesting that on Hockeycentral, a place where they love talking about how horrible the Leafs are, both Kypreos and Maclean today were talking about how terrific Rielly was. Both claimed they talked to top scouts who stated Rielly would have gone #1 if not for his injury.

Did the Leafs catch finally catch a break with the injury Rielly had last season?

Old
10-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Yes, we have our savior.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
Yes, we have our savior.
Clearly that was my point.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:55 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Yes, we have our savior.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:56 PM
nsleaf

We can hope, but too early to tell. So far so good.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:57 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

We'll know in a few years

Old
10-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

It would have been a bold move to take him ahead of Yakupov given the hype, But I believed him when he said they probably would taken him 1st.

I for one love the player though and I'm glad to have him as a Leaf.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:03 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Still a bold statement, but Rielly is certainly doing his best to silence critics.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Sure he could be. But then again, so could a random 7th round pick.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:05 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

I found it odd that we let Dudley jump ship to MTL just before the draft as everyone seemed to think we were just hoping they didn't pick Galchenyuck, as we wanted a C too.

Burke's post draft comments about having Rielly ranked no1 made it pretty cleary they never intended on taking Gally.

just a bit of a rant..

Old
10-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Clearly that was my point.
You asked a question, I said yes.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:10 PM
kihei

vCash: 4667
Are we so despondent as a franchise that we have to puff ourselves up with this kind of silly speculation? The Leafs drafted a good player. It will be years before the team knows how good.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
I found it odd that we let Dudley jump ship to MTL just before the draft as everyone seemed to think we were just hoping they didn't pick Galchenyuck, as we wanted a C too.

Burke's post draft comments about having Rielly ranked no1 made it pretty cleary they never intended on taking Gally.

just a bit of a rant..
Burke said before the draft (and I'm paraphrasing) that he might draft for the first time a player positionally over skill. Which knowing what we know now probably means:

"I want Rielly but if Galchenyuk is available at 5, we might take him over Rielly due to the fact we need Center depth but it's unlikely"

Old
10-23-2012, 04:12 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
No, Rielly is a good prospect, worthy of being picked 5th imo. Burke may have had him ranked 4th, behind Yak, Gally and Murray. But certainly not 1st overall.

If you ask me the top 5 players out of this draft, in order will be:

1. Yakupov
2. Galchenyuk
3. Murray
4. Forsberg
5. Rielly

I'm excited about Rielly, but he is not a saviour.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Nazem Rielly

We need to temper our expectations with Rielly a tad bit. I'll admit, I'm just as hopeful Rielly is the Leaf's saviour as anybody on this board, but we need to relax.

Personally, I hope the Leafs don't rush Rielly's development. We have depth on defense, and I hope he sees some ice time with the Marlies before the Leafs. Definitely don't want another debocle like the Schenn experience, who was my favourite Leaf and I continued to defend regardless of his flaws.

As for Rielly being our saviour, he has the potential to be an NHL superstar, but let him develop and dominate in the WHL. Give him a few years before we call him our 'saviour'.

Just a thought

Old
10-23-2012, 04:13 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Are we so despondent as a franchise that we have to puff ourselves up with this kind of silly speculation? The Leafs drafted a good player. It will be years before the team knows how good.
If we created a thread about Hockeycentrsl crapping on the Leafs, what's wrong with mentioning this?

Old
10-23-2012, 04:16 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
No, Rielly is a good prospect, worthy of being picked 5th imo. Burke may have had him ranked 4th, behind Yak, Gally and Murray. But certainly not 1st overall.

1. Yakupov
2. Galchenyuk
3. Murray
4. Forsberg
5. Rielly

The point of this thread was how top scouts think the injury hurt his chances if going higher in the draft. This isn't about expectations of Leaf. Fans.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:17 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post

1. Yakupov
2. Galchenyuk
3. Murray
4. Forsberg
5. Rielly

I agree that Burke may not have exactly taken Reilly #1 Overall like he advertised, but I truly believe he would have taken him #2.

Now that the draft is over, and a few things have come to light, its quite clear it was a 2-horse race for Burke with Yakapov and Reilly.

Galchenyuk has his skating in question to be able to make an impact/adjustment early in his career at the NHL level. Many scouts question his skating ability, and if its his injury or mechanics. Last years sample size of Galchenyuk was so small that the issue was never really answered.

But that also hasn't held Tavares back, even tho Gally isnt quite on his level.

Murray is a fantastic defensive prospect, but they believed Reilly can be more dynamic and make a better impact on his game with his raw gift as an OFD.

I really believe Burke would have thought long and hard about this one if he had the #1 Overall pick.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeLEAFInRielly View Post
We need to temper our expectations with Rielly a tad bit. I'll admit, I'm just as hopeful Rielly is the Leaf's saviour as anybody on this board, but we need to relax.

Personally, I hope the Leafs don't rush Rielly's development. We have depth on defense, and I hope he sees some ice time with the Marlies before the Leafs. Definitely don't want another debocle like the Schenn experience, who was my favourite Leaf and I continued to defend regardless of his flaws.

As for Rielly being our saviour, he has the potential to be an NHL superstar, but let him develop and dominate in the WHL. Give him a few years before we call him our 'saviour'.

Just a thought
There's absolutely no way he'll be given "a few years" to develop. This kid is a physical phenom whom already has elite NHL level skills in pretty much everything except Defensively (which is teachable and easy to shelter).

I will not be surprised at all if he makes the NHL as an 18 year old, he's that good. I personally won't object to him spending the rest of the year in Junior and being able to go to the World Juniors, but he'll be in the NHL very soon I promise you that.

Closed Thread