HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Luongo Thread [Mod Warning in OP]

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 03:06 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
Also about the 1000th time I've seen that joke.
All the same Luongo would probably love to play in Edmonton.

With your current young guns Luongo would end up the next Grant Fuhr.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:07 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
How does his wife feel about that?
Depends if shes tanned enough

Old
10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Finn is a D-man who is 6 feet 200 pounds and led Guelph with 48 points in 61 games in his draft year. Jordan Schroeder is 5'9, was drafted as a winger (now center i believe), and had 44 points in 76 AHL games. (i know, tougher league) I'll go with the big offensive D-man over the smallish center.
Schroeder is more NHL-ready, and has more talent. His lack of AHL production is more due to his linemates inability to capitalize on his chances than any knocks on him. It's been really frustrating to watch him play his tail off on both sides of the ice and have nothing to show for it despite the chances he generates. Toronto would be an ideal fit for him, imo.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Schroeder is more NHL-ready, and has more talent. His lack of AHL production is more due to his linemates inability to capitalize on his chances than any knocks on him. It's been really frustrating to watch him play his tail off on both sides of the ice and have nothing to show for it despite the chances he generates. Toronto would be an ideal fit for him, imo.
I'll admit, i can only look at the stat-line, i haven't seen him enough with the wolves. Not sure his size is what Burke is looking for though.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
I always like Schroeder, I wanted him here years ago but, not sure he fits the bill here. Size does matter to Burke.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:18 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
His favorite goalie was Grant Fuhr.
Chris Osgood's favorite also. I wonder how many other goalies in the league today (or recently retired) list Fuhr in that capacity?

Maybe I should be posting this in the "makes me feel old" thread... but I remember when Fuhr was in his prime, and now we have guys who "grew up watching him and being inspired by him" retiring or on the back end of their careers.

How long before it's guys storming into the league with "I grew up watching Alexander Ovechkin/Sidney Crosby/Eric Lindros" or even a Doan, Lecavalier, or Marleau?

Old
10-23-2012, 03:19 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I always like Schroeder, I wanted him here years ago but, not sure he fits the bill here. Size does matter to Burke.

That will always be Schroeder's challenge. It's definitely possible for smaller guys to make it but the deck is still stacked in favour of the big guys.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
I'll admit, i can only look at the stat-line, i haven't seen him enough with the wolves. Not sure his size is what Burke is looking for though.
Yeah, his size is his biggest challenge, and ideally he'd be suited in a top-6 role flanked by offensive talent. He won't get that in Vancouver with our centre depth, but I think he could eventually put up 1B centre numbers between Kessel and Lupul.

Maybe someone like Derek Roy would be a good comparison.

Finn is a good prospect, to be sure, but he's behind Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Liles, Rielly, and Percy on the depth chart, which is why I think he's expendable.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Yeah, his size is his biggest challenge, and ideally he'd be suited in a top-6 role flanked by offensive talent. He won't get that in Vancouver with our centre depth, but I think he could eventually put up 1B centre numbers between Kessel and Lupul.

Maybe someone like Derek Roy would be a good comparison.

Finn is a good prospect, to be sure, but he's behind Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Liles, Rielly, and Percy on the depth chart, which is why I think he's expendable.
I guess what bugs me in all of this is not giving certain pieces i hold valuable, but the number of those pieces people seem to think it would take. Would i trade any of Kadri/Kuli/Frattin/Bozak/Finn or our 1st in a deal for Luongo? Maybe. It just seems like people want 4 of these....that seems a bit excessive to me.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:40 PM
smitty10

The arguing going on here is hilarious. As if Canucks and Leafs fans agreeing on a price will have any impact on the deal and whether or not it goes through.

So stupid.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
I guess what bugs me in all of this is not giving certain pieces i hold valuable, but the number of those pieces people seem to think it would take. Would i trade any of Kadri/Kuli/Frattin/Bozak/Finn or our 1st in a deal for Luongo? Maybe. It just seems like people want 4 of these....that seems a bit excessive to me.
Classic quality for quantity situation. Those 4 or so pieces don't hold enough value on their own when trying to acquire a player of Luongo's ability.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
The arguing going on here is hilarious. As if Canucks and Leafs fans agreeing on a price will have any impact on the deal and whether or not it goes through.

So stupid.
You're right but it probably gives us a pretty good indication of the arguments each GM is making in these negotiations. Considering neither GM is likely to get fleeced, I think it's safe to assume a trade that gets done likely sits somewhere in the middle. In that way, I think it gives us some indication what a trade is likely to look like if it happens.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I tend to agree. Usually these types of deals involve one or two players and a pick. I don't see four players coming back.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
That's why I added a decent piece going back, but if it ended up being 3 pieces without Schroeder going the other way I'd be okay with that.

Maybe just Kadri, Finn, and 1st cond on playoffs for Luongo + 3rd, and I'd be okay with that.
We can flank Schroeder with Higgins and Hansen On the third line, which could work out well.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
How does his wife feel about that?
If she doesn't like it, he'll find a hot reporter in Edmonton.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:57 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
If she doesn't like it, he'll find a hot reporter in Edmonton.
For $6.7 million a year I'd live anywhere.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Numbers

Quote:
You are the most level headed leaf fan in this thread and its apreciated. What do you think of these?

Bozak, Colbourne, 1st for Luongo

Or

Kulemin, Colbourne, 1st for Luongo

Or

Lombardi, Colbourne, Kadri, 1st for Luongo, Raymond

Old
10-23-2012, 04:11 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
You're right but it probably gives us a pretty good indication of the arguments each GM is making in these negotiations. Considering neither GM is likely to get fleeced, I think it's safe to assume a trade that gets done likely sits somewhere in the middle. In that way, I think it gives us some indication what a trade is likely to look like if it happens.
that's only assuming that each GM thinks, argues, and generally does business on the same level, while being under the same pressures, as the collective posters here at HF boards.

You'd think that the discussion and negotiations going on between these two former lawyers who have spent a generation in the business, whether as a player, agent, AGM or GM, wouldn't be at all comparable to the discussion that we're getting here amongst the diehard hockey fans. Not to mention that no one on these boards will really understand what pressures each GM is under, whether it's for short-term success, or financial impacts, or whatever else. These GMs work for ownership who will always have a say in any transaction of this magnitude. We don't know what pressures they're putting on here.

The "middle ground" that these discussions will show isn't anything more than the middle ground among the fans here. I doubt it gives us any indication of what the trade will look like. There are just too many variables and factors in a trade like this that we as fans can't see. Not without a direct line to ownership and full understanding of all the pressures that each GM may be under.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:12 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
It could, but at the same time I can guarantee you that no Anaheim or Calgary fans would have agreed to Beauchemin for Lupul, Gardiner and a 4th or Stajan, Mayers, White and Hagman for Phaneuf, Aulie and Sjostrom. I doubt any Leafs fans would have suggested either of these trades and I'm certain that if they did the poster would have been laughed off the boards. I'm sure there are countless times between other teams where these really one-sided trades have happened, so at the same time that this could offer insight, one fanbase could also be nowhere near the actual value that is received if a trade is made.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:20 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
You are the most level headed leaf fan in this thread and its apreciated. What do you think of these?

Or

Or

Just because someone agrees with your opinion doesn't make them 'the most level headed' of a certain fanbase. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, such a stupid post when nobody really has any idea what the trade will look like.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
You'd think that the discussion and negotiations going on between these two former lawyers who have spent a generation in the business, whether as a player, agent, AGM or GM, wouldn't be at all comparable to the discussion that we're getting here amongst the diehard hockey fans.
The arguments will be made differently, but they will be much the same. Lu's contract is a consideration for T.O., so is the goaltending market, the Canucks needs, Toronto's needs etc. I'm not talking about the petty stuff.

Quote:
It could, but at the same time I can guarantee you that no Anaheim or Calgary fans would have agreed to Beauchemin for Lupul, Gardiner and a 4th or Stajan, Mayers, White and Hagman for Phaneuf, Aulie and Sjostrom.
Like I said, neither GM is likely to get fleeced in this deal, like Anaheim and Calgary did.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Just because someone agrees with your opinion doesn't make them 'the most level headed' of a certain fanbase. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, such a stupid post when nobody really has any idea what the trade will look like.
Thank you for the constructive feedback.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
vanwest

Quote:
It could, but at the same time I can guarantee you that no Anaheim or Calgary fans would have agreed to Beauchemin for Lupul, Gardiner and a 4th or Stajan, Mayers, White and Hagman for Phaneuf, Aulie and Sjostrom. I doubt any Leafs fans would have suggested either of these trades and I'm certain that if they did the poster would have been laughed off the boards. I'm sure there are countless times between other teams where these really one-sided trades have happened, so at the same time that this could offer insight, one fanbase could also be nowhere near the actual value that is received if a trade is made.
Both GM's have been on the right side and the wrong side of what would be called uneven deals. It's unlikely that this deal will be as one sided as the Phaneuf deal for Toronto or to take an even more extreme case, the Ehrhoff deal for Vancouver (cap space was a key issue for San Jose). Having said that, I agree that it is impossible to predict where this will end up. If another team gets involved the price could go up. If Luongo becomes publicly dissatisfied then the price could go down.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:34 PM
frankthetank91

A fair deal would be:

One of Bozak or Connolly
One of Frattin or MacArthur
One of Colborne or a 2nd
Franson or Ashton

For Luongo.

Canucks need a 3c, Bozak or Connolly is a better option then Schroeder
Colborne is a nice prospect or 2nd if preferred.
Mac or Frattin can fill out 2nd or 3rd line.

Gives Canucks much needed depth and probably puts the Leafs in the playoffs. The spot vacated by Frattin or Mac will be filled by Kadri. Who ever is left of Bozak or Connolly will center the top line.
Ashton, Franson and Colborne are good pieces but we will be fine with the excess of bottom 6 prospects we have and d-men.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

Or

Or

The first kills the deal in every case. None of these deals work for Toronto, as we cannot afford to give up the number of C's listed.

Closed Thread