HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

An "Inside the Crease" sub-forum for Goalies

Old
10-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Hank4Hart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
I can definitely help as needed. Also I'm the rare breed of left-handed goaltender. May not sound different but harder to get the training and equipment is a bugger!
really? i'd LOVE to be a full right goalie! the amount of clearance gear for cheap available is NUTS

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
I'm one of the people who recently made a goalie-related thread looking for help. I would definitely be all for an entire forum to look through to get information and such starting off.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
really? i'd LOVE to be a full right goalie! the amount of clearance gear for cheap available is NUTS
I'd assume it's real sparse though...being a lefty golfer sucks pretty bad. A LOT of stuff just isn't available. There are some deals out there which are great (got about $400 worth of clubs on clearance for $130) but a lot of the time I just wish I was righty.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:58 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Jarick you play in JMS or HF? If so what level

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

JMS L3 but haven't played since early summer. AHA C3 as well.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Cowbell232

How does a 'Goalies' thread tag/prefix sound? If a poster doesn't add it properly in the OP, a mod will correct it.

Goalies that wish to only see related threads could click on the tag and it will only bring up the threads with the same tag: i.e., goalie marked threads.

It's kind of like a subforum, but without the back-end hassle involved with the database stuff...

Old
10-23-2012, 05:09 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

It's not that we want to filter out Goalie stuff. We just want somewhere for us to post as a group and have that camaraderie Goaltenders share. Help each other out, share our games and show off our equipment (all goalies are crazy about their gear), post equipment for sale, share techniques, help & develop noobs... ect. I really don't want to go to the other big site (GS) to do it, I'd rather stay here. I'm sure there are more that feel the same.

So to answer... It's not what we're looking for, but better than nothing I guess. It's that much of a pain to just add a "Goalie" or "Inside the Crease" sub-forum under "The Rink"? Should be a quick fix with forum software admin.

If you choose not to do it, thanks anyways for your time. I hope you do consider it though.

Thanks

Old
10-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think we should give that a shot before we go through all the trouble of making a sub forum personally.

Old
10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Meh. Lets make a goalie thread. Then show all the mods on here whats up by making it the most prolific thread on this forum.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:48 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post
Meh. Lets make a goalie thread. Then show all the mods on here whats up by making it the most prolific thread on this forum.
I'm trying to do whatever it takes to convince myself to stay here without having to go anywhere else. Just keeping it real. If we have a Goalie sub forum then it's game over. I know it will explode and be extremely popular once people are aware of it. Everyone knows HF is the best hockey boards, but we all know where the Goalies tend to hangout. If there is a place for Goalies here, skys the limit.

Then I can live happily ever after and post my entire Goalie life here. lol

Old
10-23-2012, 06:11 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
it's not. Also if you want to sell gear, it's nearly impossible.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:17 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
it's not. Also if you want to sell gear, it's nearly impossible.
What? Goalie gear is the easiest. GGSU is a god-send.

Old
10-23-2012, 06:31 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshNsoClean View Post
What? Goalie gear is the easiest. GGSU is a god-send.
I meant getting full right gloves (blocker on the left hand trapper right)

Old
10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
I meant getting full right gloves (blocker on the left hand trapper right)
oh my bad, wasn't paying close enough attention!

Old
10-23-2012, 07:51 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Seems like those tags are more of a pain that it's worth. Just hook us up with a sub-forum, a lot easier. Then you don't have to deal with me anymore.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Trl3789

So i've been thinking about trying out goalie at this point, but i am so completely lost on which hand i would go with. As it stands now i shoot right, but playing baseball my whole life i would be more comfortable with the catcher on the left hand. Having it on the right hand isn't uncomfortable, just not quite as comfortable. The only thing i really feel uncomfortable with is using a left handed stick.

Does it make more sense to go catcher on the right hand and just try to get more comfortable with it? Or should i just keep the catcher on the left hand since I hopefully wouldn't be playing the puck too often?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:00 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Catch on your hand that you would use in baseball. Hopefully we get a Goalie sub-forum and then we can help you out even more there.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Nevermind they went with the prefix thing. Bummer man.... Nobody is going to know to use it. Heck I didn't. Adds a ton more work for the mods when it could've just been moved to the sub-forum. My *****ing isn't going to help and looks like a uphill battle so I guess I'll just let it be. Peace

Old
10-23-2012, 08:30 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
So i've been thinking about trying out goalie at this point, but i am so completely lost on which hand i would go with. As it stands now i shoot right, but playing baseball my whole life i would be more comfortable with the catcher on the left hand. Having it on the right hand isn't uncomfortable, just not quite as comfortable. The only thing i really feel uncomfortable with is using a left handed stick.

Does it make more sense to go catcher on the right hand and just try to get more comfortable with it? Or should i just keep the catcher on the left hand since I hopefully wouldn't be playing the puck too often?

as the next person wrote put it on the same hand you would in baseball. Ignore anyone who tells you to test and see which hand you catch better with, that isn't the hard part, the hardest part is wielding the stick. So assuming your right hand is dominant, catch left.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
as the next person wrote put it on the same hand you would in baseball. Ignore anyone who tells you to test and see which hand you catch better with, that isn't the hard part, the hardest part is wielding the stick. So assuming your right hand is dominant, catch left.
yea, I catch much better with my dominant hand, but would have absolutely no control of my stick if I wore the glove on my dominant hand

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
The issue for me though is i do a ton of stuff left handed. Shoot pool, dig with a shovel, use a broom, eat with a fork, etc... If handling the stick is the hard part, i would probably be inclined to put the catcher on my right hand because i'd feel much more confident with the stick in my left hand.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:17 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
The issue for me though is i do a ton of stuff left handed. Shoot pool, dig with a shovel, use a broom, eat with a fork, etc... If handling the stick is the hard part, i would probably be inclined to put the catcher on my right hand because i'd feel much more confident with the stick in my left hand.
Okay well then now that changes things. Which hand do you throw with? Or if you were playing a racquet sport such as tennis, badminton, or squash, which hand would you hold it in? That should likely be the hand you hold your stick in.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Okay well then now that changes things. Which hand do you throw with? Or if you were playing a racquet sport such as tennis, badminton, or squash, which hand would you hold it in? That should likely be the hand you hold your stick in.
I play those with my right hand, so i should probably go catcher on the left hand then.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
On a related situation, I am in a similar conundum.

I shoot right, however I also catch, and throw left (one of the reasons I don't play baseball is because I don't have 2 left hands)

I'm thinking I'd use left glove, then hold stick in right and spend a while adjusting to a left handed shot. I've always been moderately ambidextrous when it comes to sports if I focus at it, so I should manage hopefully.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Hank4Hart

step 1. grab a goalie stick and see which hand you are more comfortable holding the stick and playing the puck

step 2. buy a blocker for that hand, and put a glove on the other

step 3. make saves

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote