HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

What's to be done about Glennie?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 12:25 PM
  #76
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,667
vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
A lot of this could be getting the system down as well. That would be incredibly ridiculous, but also possible. If true, then he obviously needs to be on another team ASAP.
I don't even want to imagine that as an option honestly.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
  #77
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,633
vCash: 27750
That can't possibly be right. Glennie is not a simpleton.

Not to mention he has the ability and understanding to play both center and wing. And has a year of professional hockey under his belt.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:44 PM
  #78
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,706
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
That can't possibly be right. Glennie is not a simpleton.

Not to mention he has the ability and understanding to play both center and wing. And has a year of professional hockey under his belt.
Yea I don't think that's it either. He's a talent player, I don't think systems is the issue. Judging from his past history there's no doubt in my mind its a conditioning issue.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
  #79
Primetimey
Registered User
 
Primetimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,550
vCash: 83
If you look at his roster picture for this year (here) he does have kind of a chubby face compared to other pictures.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:18 PM
  #80
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,706
vCash: 746
Can't copy from my phone, but Mark just PMed me on Twitter confirming conditioning was the issue. And that Glennie will play this week.

Will post what he said in full when I get home later.


Last edited by MetalGodAOD: 10-23-2012 at 04:31 PM.
MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:20 PM
  #81
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,831
vCash: 500
Finally a real answer.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:34 PM
  #82
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 475
I would argue then, now that we know the real details, that the team, Dallas, wanted to help Glennie save face by not being forthcoming with this info. The coach though, IMO, rightfully called the player out in the media by dropping some hints.

Glennie really shouldn't be getting sheltered at this point. Late last season really was a positive stretch for him, but he's got to learn that he's a pro now and needs to act like it. That means coming to camp in shape and ready to play.

I mean ... why the hell would he not want that? He hasn't had a single positive experience in 4 years to start the season with the Dallas Stars. You really do have to question his desire when he didn't do everything possible knowing that there were NHL jobs on the line (had there been a season).

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:13 PM
  #83
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician
 
ReverendAlBundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
He looks just like TJ Oshie in that photo.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:18 PM
  #84
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
He looks just like TJ Oshie in that photo.
Whoa he really does.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:24 PM
  #85
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I would argue then, now that we know the real details, that the team, Dallas, wanted to help Glennie save face by not being forthcoming with this info. The coach though, IMO, rightfully called the player out in the media by dropping some hints.

Glennie really shouldn't be getting sheltered at this point. Late last season really was a positive stretch for him, but he's got to learn that he's a pro now and needs to act like it. That means coming to camp in shape and ready to play.

I mean ... why the hell would he not want that? He hasn't had a single positive experience in 4 years to start the season with the Dallas Stars. You really do have to question his desire when he didn't do everything possible knowing that there were NHL jobs on the line (had there been a season).
If his desire is that poor you also really have to question the scouting that went into the pick as if there wasnt reason enough already.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:44 PM
  #86
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 558
Well then with that info the writing is on the wall for him. No GM in their right mind would keep a player with this track record.

I don't get it. You've been playing this game your whole life to become a player in the NHL, and when you actually get the chance you **** it up?

No t player I'd like to have. I view it the same as the Kari situation in Atlanta. He clearly NEVER wanted to play there, and when he finally got a better option he flourished.

Just pick up a 3rd rounder for him and get it over with. (When possible)

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:00 PM
  #87
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
I'd personally rather keep him than grab a 3rd rounder. I get that you're probably comparing this to the Filatov situation but Dallas has a knack for taking troubled players and making them successful. I guess that might not be the case with Glennie but hopefully he'll get his **** together. If we get to trade him for another trouble prospect that was a high pick I'd probably be ok with that.

Then again, I don't know the guy personally. Maybe he's just an insufferable little ***** that has no idea how good he's got it and what he's throwing away. It is interesting that they tried to cover it up, we might not have even cared as much if it wasn't for the lockout.

Now on to the curious case of taking Austin Smith and putting him into the ECHL, that makes even less sense to me.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:28 PM
  #88
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,706
vCash: 746
Quote:
I'd personally rather keep him than grab a 3rd rounder. I get that you're probably comparing this to the Filatov situation but Dallas has a knack for taking troubled players and making them successful. I guess that might not be the case with Glennie but hopefully he'll get his **** together. If we get to trade him for another trouble prospect that was a high pick I'd probably be ok with that.
Agreed. He's only 21. Still a lot of time to mature. Using the Kari example, Kari didn't put it all together and get serious about his career until what, 26? I'd rather not throw Glennie away for nothing and give him the chance to mature. Maybe that means 2-3 years in the AHL/ECHL. Whatever it takes to get his **** together until it becomes clear that trading him is the only thing that will wake him up.

We've ragged on Willie's choices (and I still don't agree with the A Smith choice), but I think this was the best approach. Part of making Glennie mature is really embarrassing the **** out of him when he doesn't perform. Benching him 5 games to start the season was a great move.

Here's Mark's PM to me btw:

Quote:
Mark Stepneski
@StarsInsideEdge
Been told by a few people that Glennie should play this week. My understanding is he needed to get his conditioning up to par.
08:50 PM - 23 Oct 12

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
  #89
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,831
vCash: 500
I don't even know what to say anymore. This is beyond a joke, now.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:52 PM
  #90
tjcurrie
Registered User
 
tjcurrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gibbons, Alberta
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
I'm not there so I don't see his work ethic, but the guy at least had a problem with the alcohol back in junior. Even got arrested once for being drunk and beating up a VLT in a casino. Stuff like that was an issue with him. Like I said I don't KNOW, but I have the suspicion that his lack of dedication - which is truly what separates the successful from the non successful at the end of the day - is what will be his downfall.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:24 PM
  #91
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,897
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I'm not there so I don't see his work ethic, but the guy at least had a problem with the alcohol back in junior. Even got arrested once for being drunk and beating up a VLT in a casino. Stuff like that was an issue with him. Like I said I don't KNOW, but I have the suspicion that his lack of dedication - which is truly what separates the successful from the non successful at the end of the day - is what will be his downfall.
Somehow, I doubt this. I highly, highly doubt GMJN would've let something like this fly. He'd either be gone or never would've been picked (I know GMJN didn't have total control back then, but still).

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
  #92
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,667
vCash: 1495
GMJN didn't have any control that summer. Bernhardt was the main guy that wanted him was he not?

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:38 PM
  #93
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,897
vCash: 157
Yea, but GMJN should've had enough of a say to not pick a guy with problems like that. It should also simply be intuitively obvious not to pick a guy with alcohol problems at 18 that high.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:42 PM
  #94
tjcurrie
Registered User
 
tjcurrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gibbons, Alberta
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Somehow, I doubt this. I highly, highly doubt GMJN would've let something like this fly. He'd either be gone or never would've been picked (I know GMJN didn't have total control back then, but still).
Believe it my friend. I wouldn't post crap like that from unreliable sources.

Like I said, I have no idea what he's like now. But if any of that stuff still follows him, then that could be a big part of his lack of maturation. When it's not a player's ability holding him back, it's obviously something else.


Last edited by tjcurrie: 10-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:43 PM
  #95
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,667
vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Yea, but GMJN should've had enough of a say to not pick a guy with problems like that. It should also simply be intuitively obvious not to pick a guy with alcohol problems at 18 that high.
Nieuwendyk is not going to say no to any of his scouts just two or three weeks into his new job imo.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:51 PM
  #96
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,831
vCash: 500
Was Les not in charge?

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:56 PM
  #97
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,220
vCash: 500
Les was scouting but that first round pick was all Berhnardt. Just like Campbell at the end of the day was all Bernhardt's choice and not the rest of the scouting group. They may or may not have liked him but it was totally Berhnardt who pulled the trigger on those first selections.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:52 PM
  #98
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,647
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Agreed. He's only 21. Still a lot of time to mature. Using the Kari example, Kari didn't put it all together and get serious about his career until what, 26? I'd rather not throw Glennie away for nothing and give him the chance to mature. Maybe that means 2-3 years in the AHL/ECHL. Whatever it takes to get his **** together until it becomes clear that trading him is the only thing that will wake him up.
I'm not saying I'm ready to trade him for a mid round pick but if you hold onto him for 2-3 more years you're essentially taking that offer off the table. At that point if he's still toiling in the AHL he will be considered a bust of a prospect and worth virtually nothing. I think keeping him is the way to go because the upside is higher than with the potential draft pick you get for him but keeping him is a gamble that could net you absolutely nothing. It's all or nothing.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:05 PM
  #99
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,831
vCash: 500
I don't think one more year would hurt. Anything after that would destroy whatever value he has.

I honesty think that he needs to be with Dallas by the trade deadline to start having any value at all.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:32 PM
  #100
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,633
vCash: 27750
So did Desjardins just flat out lie to the media (such as it is) to get them off his back? Glennie has missed 9% of the season now.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.