HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Action Jackson

vCash: 500
Rielly going ahead of Yakupov... the media says something stupid to get more viewers and all the leafs fans with their blue and white goggles on take it to heart. Kid's going to be a stud, but Yakupov is top flight talent. What Burke did was simple, draft the best player available at the time.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:23 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The point of this thread was how top scouts think the injury hurt his chances if going higher in the draft. This isn't about expectations of Leaf. Fans.
My apologies, the title is a little misleading.

Old
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
I dont think so. If the Leafs had the first overall, they probably wouldve went with Yakupov, and if they had the second overall, they would probably go for Galchenyuk. He probably wouldve gone third if the Leafs had it.

Old
smitty10

He could definitely be right. Only time will tell.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Nazem Rielly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
There's absolutely no way he'll be given "a few years" to develop. This kid is a physical phenom whom already has elite NHL level skills in pretty much everything except Defensively (which is teachable and easy to shelter).

I will not be surprised at all if he makes the NHL as an 18 year old, he's that good. I personally won't object to him spending the rest of the year in Junior and being able to go to the World Juniors, but he'll be in the NHL very soon I promise you that.
There is no doubting Rielly's offensive abilities. He can single-handedly control the game from the back end, but his defensive game needs a little work before he's a regular with the big club. This is why playing with the Marlies would benefit. But what do I know, if the decision is made for Rielly to join the Leafs from the Warriors I would support it as he's is physically and mental mature enough to play at a high level

Old
10-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Liminality

We'll never know if Rielly could have beaten Yakupov for the #1 spot if Rielly was healthy the entire year. If he was healthy I think he could have fought for the #2 spot with Murray, which is why I'm kind of happy he was injured and possibly overlooked.

We'll see in a couple of years just how he develops, so far he's looking fantastic and trust in the scouts choice.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeLEAFInRielly View Post
There is no doubting Rielly's offensive abilities. He can single-handedly control the game from the back end, but his defensive game needs a little work before he's a regular with the big club. This is why playing with the Marlies would benefit. But what do I know, if the decision is made for Rielly to join the Leafs from the Warriors I would support it as he's is physically and mental mature enough to play at a high level
He's actually not that bad defensively either. He's merely average, which he more than makes up for with speed. Average defenders as fast as him can cover up a lot of their mistakes ala Gardiner.

Rielly is just ahead of everyone else. We've drafted high skill guys before (Kadri) or physically ready players (Biggs) but it's rare to get an athlete at 18 years old whom also possesses elite levels of skill, especially at #5. That injury really helped us.

I've made this point before when people are worried that we're going to rush Rielly. He's not going to be rushed, he just might be ready already.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
We'll never know if Rielly could have beaten Yakupov for the #1 spot if Rielly was healthy the entire year. If he was healthy I think he could have fought for the #2 spot with Murray, which is why I'm kind of happy he was injured and possibly overlooked.

We'll see in a couple of years just how he develops, so far he's looking fantastic and trust in the scouts choice.
I don't think Rielly was overlooked as much as he had a level of risk associated with him due to the injury. Teams like Columbus and the Islanders are more risk adverse so I can see why they both took a flyer on him and went for more sure thing picks. I doubt very much either team wants to draft a lemon given their relative situations.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Nazem Rielly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
He's actually not that bad defensively either. He's merely average, which he more than makes up for with speed. Average defenders as fast as him can cover up a lot of their mistakes ala Gardiner.

Rielly is just ahead of everyone else. We've drafted high skill guys before (Kadri) or physically ready players (Biggs) but it's rare to get an athlete at 18 years old whom also possesses elite levels of skill, especially at #5. That injury really helped us.

I've made this point before when people are worried that we're going to rush Rielly. He's not going to be rushed, he just might be ready already.
I might be overly-conservative with the development of Rielly because prospects with high value like Schenn and Kadri (still early) haven`t worked out as initially planned. I might be little worried the same thing happens to Rielly

Last edited by Nazem Rielly: 10-23-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old
10-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Here is the thing with Rielly, the way his season is going...next year he'll prolly be too good for jr but sending him to the Marlies is not an option. If he continues to play well and stay healthy I'm betting on him making the Leafs next season (assuming there is a 2012/13 season).

Old
10-23-2012, 05:15 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Time will tell..He's had a great start to the season, and I am hoping he keeps it up. He's got the offence down, needs to work on his positioning a bit in the defensive end. Really excited to see how he does in the WJCs

Old
10-23-2012, 07:30 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Rielly going ahead of Yakupov... the media says something stupid to get more viewers and all the leafs fans with their blue and white goggles on take it to heart. Kid's going to be a stud, but Yakupov is top flight talent. What Burke did was simple, draft the best player available at the time.
I thought the same thing about Burke blowing smoke again. But I realized that alot of WHL scouts not related to Leafs organization have admitted Reilly would have pushed for #1 spot with Yakupov. This is not just one WHL scout. IT was several. People are very high on this player.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:39 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I thought the same thing about Burke blowing smoke again. But I realized that alot of WHL scouts not related to Leafs organization have admitted Reilly would have pushed for #1 spot with Yakupov. This is not just one WHL scout. IT was several. People are very high on this player.
Its more rare to get a D with the skillset of Rielly than a forward like Yak. To me they are 1 and 2 based on need only, not talent and ability.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:37 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
I might be overly-conservative with the development of Rielly because prospects with high value like Schenn and Kadri (still early) haven`t worked out as initially planned. I might be little worried the same thing happens to Rielly
the difference between Rielly and those two is that while both of them have question marks on their skating, Rielly has none.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
the difference between Rielly and those two is that while both of them have question marks on their skating, Rielly has none.
Schenn really never had any upside offensively. He was drafted #5 as a defensive D-man.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:49 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Schenn really never had any upside offensively. He was drafted #5 as a defensive D-man.
Even if he doesn't work out offensively, he is a strong kid.

Think of a stronger, faster Gunnarsson. Not what I'm hoping for but that is still a good player.

We'll see. Keep the candles burning.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:53 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Rielly I mean not Schenn.

Sry can't edit at the moment.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:28 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Burke said going into the draft that there may be a possibility the team drafts need over BPA. He also said that it wasnt a guarantee and that they had to discuss it as an organization. When Galchenyuk was picked, that doubt was out the window and Burke got to take BPA.

Interestingly enough Rielly has as many points as Galchenyuk... and a better plus minus...

Old
10-24-2012, 08:31 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

on another note... is Tanner Eberle related to Jordan Eberle? Can we draft him just for the hell of it? lol

Old
10-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Interactif

The kid has some fire, shows why he tested so well at the combine. 1/2 Body slams opponent.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

First star, and the GWG, that's awesome....now back to watching Night of the Living Dead. sweet

Old
10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
First star, and the GWG, that's awesome....now back to watching Night of the Living Dead. sweet
Awesome. I really hope there's footage of his highlight goal somewhere!

Old
10-24-2012, 11:06 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
on another note... is Tanner Eberle related to Jordan Eberle? Can we draft him just for the hell of it? lol
Both are from Regina... so it's possible

Old
10-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
Both are from Regina... so it's possible
Distant cousins

Old
10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
diceman934

Rielly best player on the Ice tonight by a very wide margin. Look for article from Damien Cox tomorrow as he was at the game tonight.

Closed Thread