HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 06:24 PM
DaveT83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
For a trade to be made, it has to make sense from Vancouver's perspective as well. Let's get real here, Luongo isn't some crybaby refusing to play for them anymore, nor is he demanding a trade to another team. Vancouver can run with 2 good goalies next year, and have the insurance of still being able to win if bad luck happens and one of them gets hurt. They can then choose to trade one at the deadline, offseason, whatever they want.

The alternative is that for Gillis to trade Luongo, he would have to feel that his team is better after the trade, then it would be if he were to run with 2 solid goalies. Crap offers like Bozak and a 2nd isn't going to accomplish that. If you're trying win a cup now, are you gonna go with having 2 solid goalies or 1 solid goalie and a slightly upgraded 3rd line C + meh prospect who won't help for a few years + 2nd? Deal has to make sense for both sides, it's not going to be a fleecing imo.
Then Burke and Toronto have absolutely no business even being involved in trade talks about Lou.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:12 PM
sniper81

i said bozak, ashton and connolly on the main thread, didn't really go over well. Am i that off base?

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:27 PM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
i said bozak, ashton and connolly on the main thread, didn't really go over well. Am i that off base?
They wouldn't really have room for 2 NHL ready centers, and we wouldn't be able to afford to give away 2 centers. There would be literally no one to play between Kessel and Lupul unless Kadri miraculousy takes the spot.

Bozak, Frattin, Colborne plus a 2nd would get it done. Would prefer if they wanted Connolly instead of Bozak though.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:30 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
They wouldn't really have room for 2 NHL ready centers, and we wouldn't be able to afford to give away 2 centers. There would be literally no one to play between Kessel and Lupul unless Kadri miraculousy takes the spot.

Bozak, Frattin, Colborne plus a 2nd would get it done. Would prefer if they wanted Connolly instead of Bozak though.
we can't afford to give up Frattin and Colborne though

Old
10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Liminality

Quote:
I think they see Connolly as a cap dump which they want no part of unless we're giving up one of our quality pieces.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:35 PM
frankthetank91

Quote:
we can't afford to give up Frattin and Colborne though
Gotta give to get my friend. If you guys want Kadri to have any shot at the Leafs, someones gotta go. Mac doesn't hold the same value as Frattin, so Kadri replacing Frattin is not a big deal.

Colborne, ehh don't wanna be negative but i'm quite certain he'll never be our 1st line center.

This is the price of the playoffs. This is Luongo.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Gotta give to get my friend. If you guys want Kadri to have any shot at the Leafs, someones gotta go. Mac doesn't hold the same value as Frattin, so Kadri replacing Frattin is not a big deal.

Colborne, ehh don't wanna be negative but i'm quite certain he'll never be our 1st line center.

Everyone is just worried about how much they want to give up to get Luongo. Is it worth giving up some of our top young prospects for a goalie who's 33 and has a couple years of being elite left?

This has to come down to his contract too and how the new CBA plays out.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:

I agree. You have to give to get. One of our 2nd tier pieces have to go as much as we are unwilling to do it. Luongo isn't negative value. He'll be our first legit goalie in years. I too agree that losing Colborne won't affect us much. He'll probably become a decent 2nd line center but we already have that in Grabovski so he's redundant. The only piece that I think we would truly hurt to lose is Frattin as I still think he can be a perennial 20-25 goal scorer.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
Everyone is just worried about how much they want to give up to get Luongo. Is it worth giving up some of our top young prospects for a goalie who's 33 and has a couple years of being elite left?

I love Frattin, Colbornes ok, but come on Frattin tops out as a 2nd line guy, more likely 3rd line winger and Joe has so many question marks. Were not trading away Rielly or Gardiner, this trade wouldn't mortgage our future.

Plus we still have Biggs, Ross, McKegg etc. for bottom 6 prospects.

If Lu can give us 5 elite years another few good years (think Brodeur) this is a steal.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Liminality

Quote:
If Lu can give us 5 elite years another few good years (think Brodeur) this is a steal.
Nobody knows how many years he can give though. Best case scenario is maybe 5 years of elite to good quality goaltending. What if he's got only a couple of good years left and he trails off, it could be a trade that ends up very short sighted.

It's a risky trade in my eyes, but worth the risk if the price is right and doesn't take a huge hit out of our potential future.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:00 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post

thats why i am hesistant

Old
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
sniper81

i think i view colborne a lot differently then a few posters here

Old
10-23-2012, 08:03 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
i think i view colborne a lot differently then a few posters here
how do you view him

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:11 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
how do you view him
with his eyes.. duhh

joepeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:11 PM
sniper81

Quote:
how do you view him
a big, fast, skilled and intelligent playmaking centremen.

I dont see how we can get rid of our only legitimate centre prospect

Old
10-23-2012, 08:20 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

He's big, but I wish he used his size more.

He's definitely skilled. He has the ability to make some amazing passes.

I disagree with you on the "fast" part. Every time I watch him he seems like a pretty slow & awkward skater (this seems to be pretty common among tall players) and I feel it's one of the main things holding him back. I think he has the ability to go pretty fast, but I often see him slowly coasting around out there instead.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:21 PM
binop7

Quote:

Agreed completely, I know it's probably complete heresy around these parts, but I'd sooner part with Kadri than I would with Colborne. Of course I would like us to keep both.

binop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:21 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:

The most I would do is:
Bozak, Asthon/Colborne, Lombardi/Connolly, 2nd

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:24 PM
sniper81

Quote:

I disagree with you on the "fast" part. Every time I watch him he seems like a pretty slow & awkward skater (this seems to be pretty common among tall players) and I feel it's one of the main things holding him back. I think he has the ability to go pretty fast, but I often see him slowly coasting around out there instead.
watching him live he looks faster this year for sure, i personally think he is a smooth skater for 6'6 but i can see how people view it as slow and akward. I think when hes 24, 25 his legs will be powerfull and his long stride will be tough to handle.

He uses his size more it seems, but needs to work on it more along the boards. it should help him have the puck more.

Last edited by sniper81: 10-23-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: edit.
Old
10-23-2012, 08:24 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Agreed completely, I know it's probably complete heresy around these parts, but I'd sooner part with Kadri than I would with Colborne. Of course I would like us to keep both.
I also am on the verge of keeping Colborne over Naz, but hoping to keep both.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:25 PM
binop7

Quote:

His skating has definitely gotten better, I know it's a small sample size, but I've already noticed his acceleration has improved and he seems like he can change pace a lot better this season. His vision is really good as well, he reminds me of a Thornton-lite out on there. He sees the ice really well too I feel.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:26 PM
binop7

Quote:
I also am on the verge of keeping Colborne over Naz, but hoping to keep both.
Colborne seems like he might fit that #1 C we're looking for in a couple of years. I'm really high on him.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I fail to see how Burke has all the leverage when Gillis could just turn around and deal Luongo to Florida or Chicago or Edmonton, or keep him in Vancouver. Burke is the one in need of a goalie, and Gillis is the one with an extra goalie who's available. Sounds like a perfect storm for a trade, but if one tries to one up the other a deal won't get done.
everything you said there is never going to happen...

Florida cant afford him.
He wont waive go to Edmonton with all the relocation talk
Chicago cant get him under their cap.
Vancouver is his last option

Burke has ALL the leverage with nobody interested and a massive contract... Dont expect much...

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:28 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Colborne seems like he might fit that #1 C we're looking for in a couple of years. I'm really high on him.
heres to hoping, i would rather us deal a winger because of the depth.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:03 PM
67Cup

It's been said before, but what is consistently forgotten in this thread is that part of the value to Vancouver in any Luongo trade is cap space. For example, it would not be Bozak, Blacker and a 3rd rounder, it would be Bozak, Blacker, a 3rd rounder and $5.3 million in cap space. And the Leafs would be giving up that space conversely.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote