HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Regular Season Discussion

Old
10-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Rob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
Nice start for the GeeGees knocking of the Redmen 4-2 last night at McGill and trouncing UQTR 6-2 tonight at the Ottawa home opener. These guys are playing Real Paiment shutdown hockey and backing up the solid defensive play with opportune goalscoring. The sloppiness and poor decision making that haunted them in the defensive zone last year has been replaced by discipline with all 6 players on the ice working together. No need to mention individual performances, the team comes first with this edition from UO.
If would be nice to see Ottawa or Carelton make the Nationals this year instead of the three regulars.

McGill beat Carleton tonight 6-4 for their first win. They did get outshout 40-27 though.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post

Highlights of Laurier's 3-2 overtime loss against Waterloo. An excellent and up tempo game I attended. The rink which has a small capacity was completely full with close to 500 people crammed in.
Thanks for posting. I really love how Laurier posts highlightes of their games. Wish more teams did this (including my own).

As for the arena, I can't believe how small some of these OUA rinks are. I thought Concordia was bad but Waterloo definitely has to be the worst.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:15 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Thanks for posting. I really love how Laurier posts highlightes of their games. Wish more teams did this (including my own).

As for the arena, I can't believe how small some of these OUA rinks are. I thought Concordia was bad but Waterloo definitely has to be the worst.
Have you seen RMC's in my videos? Its tiny. Before the Gardens, Ryerson's was the worst at the George Bell!

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Have you seen RMC's in my videos? Its tiny.
Yes, I've watched your videos. (thanks for posting)

How much can it hold?

Old
10-15-2012, 06:44 PM
SnipeShow91

Toronto @ RMC October 12, 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUFHJblAzvA&feature=plcp

Ryerson @ RMC October 13, 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oWLs_cdIqLE

Old
10-20-2012, 10:53 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Interesting read about the WHL scholarship program...should players be forced to make their choice between pro or school at age 21, or should it be changed?

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...-highlow-marks

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 01:49 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Some former CIS players looking good for the SF Bulls..

Justin Bowers (STU) - 9 points in 6 games
Dean Ouellet (UdeM)- 6 points in 4 games
Jordan Clendenning (UNB) - 5 points in 4 games
Kevin Baker (Western) - 3 points in 4 games
Kris Belan (Guelph) - 3 points in 4 games
Keaton Turkiewicz (Western) - 2 points in 1 game
Matt Carter (UPEI) - 2 goals in 4 games
Jordan Morrison (Dal) - 2 goals in 4 games

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:52 AM
mikeandI

all conferences should place their highlites here for discussion?
found these on ubc site, geez they play in a big rink! looked like blue tie shirt night thou?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W10Ca...layer_embedded

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:42 PM
SnipeShow91

A funny moment in the pre-game of the Ryerson-RMC hockey game. First, the game got moved to Oshawa due to the Ryerson/Wake Forest basketball game, and then they didn't have O Canada! They had other music, but listen to the fans and players sing O Canada before the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqd5X...ature=youtu.be

Old
10-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
found these on ubc site, geez they play in a big rink! looked like blue tie shirt night thou?

They play out of the Olympic rink built on campus for the Women's tournament - pretty nice rink to inherit.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:05 PM
northvanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Some former CIS players looking good for the SF Bulls..

Justin Bowers (STU) - 9 points in 6 games
Dean Ouellet (UdeM)- 6 points in 4 games
Jordan Clendenning (UNB) - 5 points in 4 games
Kevin Baker (Western) - 3 points in 4 games
Kris Belan (Guelph) - 3 points in 4 games
Keaton Turkiewicz (Western) - 2 points in 1 game
Matt Carter (UPEI) - 2 goals in 4 games
Jordan Morrison (Dal) - 2 goals in 4 games
Western is missing Baker and Turkiewicz (and Aaron Snow) big time. I thought coming into this season their challenge would be scoring - but defense has been the big issue so far. Unless they are a late blooming team, they are probably 3rd or 4th at best in a fairly mediocre division with lots of parity. The sleeper team this year in the OUA West, I think, is York.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
Western is missing Baker and Turkiewicz (and Aaron Snow) big time. I thought coming into this season their challenge would be scoring - but defense has been the big issue so far. Unless they are a late blooming team, they are probably 3rd or 4th at best in a fairly mediocre division with lots of parity. The sleeper team this year in the OUA West, I think, is York.
How about Windsor or Waterloo? Two teams that haven't made it to the big show in recent memory.

Carelton 5 Ottawa 2

Old
10-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post

I really really wish more schools had their highlightes up. Unfortunately the UNB brass is against it which I think is a big mistake. It would be a great way to promote the team even more.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:19 PM
northvanman

Quote:
How about Windsor or Waterloo? Two teams that haven't made it to the big show in recent memory.
Absolutely! As I said in an earlier post, I think what you are going to see in the OUA West this year is everybody beating everybody. There seems to be no dominant team and several "competent" teams. But in that situation, one or two teams could gel. Last year, Windsor was the strongest team in the OUA West down the stretch, and just about took out Western in the playoffs. So if they get on a roll....

Last edited by northvanman: 10-21-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: correcting spelling that mede me sound like an inbred
northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 06:54 PM
WilcoxHound

Carleton 5 GeeGees 2 is the sound of uninspired lacklustre hockey. Today was Carleton's turn to play the trap and keep the GG shooters to the outside. Combine your Sunday afternoon nap with by the book referees who called a total of 34 penalties (not penalty minutes) 2 Carleton shorthanded breakaway goals, 2 Carlton 5 on 3 PP goals and one from behind the net, both GG goals while a man short. Totally boring Industrial League quality hockey. I wouldn't want to show up for UO practice this week unless I had a thick skin or a short memory.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 07:06 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Carleton 5 GeeGees 2 is the sound of uninspired lacklustre hockey. Today was Carleton's turn to play the trap and keep the GG shooters to the outside. Combine your Sunday afternoon nap with by the book referees who called a total of 34 penalties (not penalty minutes) 2 Carleton shorthanded breakaway goals, 2 Carlton 5 on 3 PP goals and one from behind the net, both GG goals while a man short. Totally boring Industrial League quality hockey. I wouldn't want to show up for UO practice this week unless I had a thick skin or a short memory.
I dont think Real would be too pleased with losing to Carleton in general. Important points to be had.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
Last year, Windsor was the strongest team in the OUA West down the stretch, and just about took out Western in the playoffs. So if they get on a roll....
Right, I remember that now.

It would be nice to see some new teams come out of the OUA.

Of course I'm sure fans would also like to see someone other than UNB come out of the AUS.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Great job on the editing. Hope your team gets some wins. It seems every clip they are losing.

If you don't mind my asking do you work for RMC?

Old
10-22-2012, 12:47 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Great job on the editing. Hope your team gets some wins. It seems every clip they are losing.

If you don't mind my asking do you work for RMC?
I have 2 jobs with RMC. Second year as the video coach for the team. This year, I propositioned, planned and executed a plan in being the first RMC Social Media Manager, which I do write up of the games, interview players and coaches for pre and post game and do special episodes and soon player introductions for the youtube channel and tweet out results from the games as up to date as I can. Its a part time job because its a trial, but hopefully I will be full time as Sports Info Officer, as long as I'm still not a police officer before then.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
I really really wish more schools had their highlightes up. Unfortunately the UNB brass is against it which I think is a big mistake. It would be a great way to promote the team even more.
I'm looking into publishing the highlights sometime this week. We have them at the arena for the next game and filler during intermissions.

What Gardiner didn't want was entire games stored that other teams could use to scout UNB - highlights are fine - we just didn't have time before to make them.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I'm looking into publishing the highlights sometime this week. We have them at the arena for the next game and filler during intermissions.

What Gardiner didn't want was entire games stored that other teams could use to scout UNB - highlights are fine - we just didn't have time before to make them.
That's odd. The CW has a "must share tapes" rule. Plus many games are archived at CanadaWest.tv. There should be a rule requiring teams to make available any promotional items, such as game video, IMO.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
That's odd. The CW has a "must share tapes" rule. Plus many games are archived at CanadaWest.tv. There should be a rule requiring teams to make available any promotional items, such as game video, IMO.
Same with the OUA. I could go on a website called gametapeexchange.com and if I feel like downloading a Western/Waterloo game, I totally could

Old
10-22-2012, 07:17 PM
timbitca

The AUS switched to gametapeexchange.com this year too.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:41 PM
WilcoxHound

It's reported that GeeGees leading goal scorer, Stephen Blunden broke his ankle in Sunday's game against Carleton, a break that required surgery and will cause him to miss the rest of the season. Also injured in the game was Craig Moore who is now sidelined with an undisclosed back injury. Prior to the start of the season the GeeGee's, Kyle Ireland retired because of reoccurring injuries to both shoulders. These are 3 very good players of which at least 2 are done for the season. Their absence opens the door for others to step up, take the challenge and do the extra work needed to succeed.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:43 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
It's reported that GeeGees leading goal scorer, Stephen Blunden broke his ankle in Sunday's game against Carleton, a break that required surgery and will cause him to miss the rest of the season. Also injured in the game was Craig Moore who is now sidelined with an undisclosed back injury. Prior to the start of the season the GeeGee's, Kyle Ireland retired because of reoccurring injuries to both shoulders. These are 3 very good players of which at least 2 are done for the season. Their absence opens the door for others to step up, take the challenge and do the extra work needed to succeed.
Losing Blunden does suck, as well as Moore, but Ottawa is very deep this year. I thought they wouldn't be as good with Methot graduating, but they roll 4 lines. I was pre scouting Concordia today and watched their game against Ottawa, Ottawa dominated them in the first half pretty badly, the same lineup that beat McGill