General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

ESPN 30 for 30 pt 2

Old
10-02-2012, 09:31 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

vCash: 500
Bump

Anyone else watch Broke? Definitly enjoyed it and amazed by some of the stories about investments.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:55 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Yup. Great film, everyone had a grasp on what goes on but this just blew the door wide open on everything.

Is there a schedule on when each one will debut?

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 11:04 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Yeah, some parts were obvious, though still interesting to hear from the people themselves, but some of them were like wow, I had no idea. Who would've thought that there was a group website for ballers? And what kind of idiot wanted to invest in tomatoes?!

per wiki Looks like every Tuesday in October but we have to wait til December for Bo.

PS, I have On Demand where I live and ESPN is on the sports demand channel with the 30 for 30 docs. They actually already have the Benji one up, but I need to play catch up first

Last edited by KaylaJ: 10-02-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 11:10 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Thanks. The two I'm most looking forward to are the Bo Jackson and Maurice Clarett films.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

The two stories that got to me were Kosar's and McCants. Felt really bad for them both, to have their families and friends take advantage of them like that. McCants having over 20 surgeries, no wonder he had a drug issue.

10-02-2012, 11:22 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Exactly, people always talk about how guys go broke because of their hanger ons, but what do you do when it is your family? I feel so bad for that one guy who got a bill from his own mother for raising him.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

I feel bad for the guys who have basically been extorted by their friends and family. Of course they made bad choices but people you love and care about stealing what you earned is tough to swallow. Herm Edwards said it best "its an opportunity not a career".

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Brodeur

Definitely enjoyed it. Most of the stories weren't totally new, but it was different hearing the athletes tell it themselves.

Last year there was a nice story involving Indians bench player Jack Hannahan. His wife went into labor earlier than expected, but all there were no commercial flights available to get Hannahan to the hospital in time for the birth. A private flight would cost $35,000 which Hannahan figured he couldn't afford. His teammates pooled together the money and sent him on his way.

Another guy here posted that he thought Hannahan was being cheap since he made 500K that season and had a couple seasons under his belt. So by his math, 35K was just a drop in the bucket.

A few of us tried to argue that Hannahan probably saw about half of that after taxes/agents and that it was a bad assumption that he didn't start his Major League career in some form of debt. Hannahan probably was/is aware that the shelf life of a utility player isn't that great, so he shouldn't be spending 35K on a flight. But the other poster remained incredulous.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

"9.79*" should be interesting. The main subject is that of Ben Johnson's wiped-out gold medal and world-record in the 1988 Olympics due to testing positive for Steroids.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 09:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Definitely enjoyed it. Most of the stories weren't totally new, but it was different hearing the athletes tell it themselves.

Last year there was a nice story involving Indians bench player Jack Hannahan. His wife went into labor earlier than expected, but all there were no commercial flights available to get Hannahan to the hospital in time for the birth. A private flight would cost $35,000 which Hannahan figured he couldn't afford. His teammates pooled together the money and sent him on his way.

Another guy here posted that he thought Hannahan was being cheap since he made 500K that season and had a couple seasons under his belt. So by his math, 35K was just a drop in the bucket.

A few of us tried to argue that Hannahan probably saw about half of that after taxes/agents and that it was a bad assumption that he didn't start his Major League career in some form of debt. Hannahan probably was/is aware that the shelf life of a utility player isn't that great, so he shouldn't be spending 35K on a flight. But the other poster remained incredulous.
Heh, hope it wasn't me.

I've said it a few times over the years, but all the details remain foggy for me to get in depth about (I learned about this in a media class 6 or 7 years ago now), but there's all kinds of strange taxes athletes have to pay to the state of the teams they play against. I forget what it was (I think one has something to do with applying your trade in the state), or how much they had to pay, but Alex Rodriguez loses millions of dollars because of it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:21 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Great, great film tonight.

Watching it, it got me realizing how many athletes are on drugs. Then I think of Usain Bolt...

Old
10-09-2012, 11:07 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Heh, hope it wasn't me.

I've said it a few times over the years, but all the details remain foggy for me to get in depth about (I learned about this in a media class 6 or 7 years ago now), but there's all kinds of strange taxes athletes have to pay to the state of the teams they play against. I forget what it was (I think one has something to do with applying your trade in the state), or how much they had to pay, but Alex Rodriguez loses millions of dollars because of it.
Those are called "jock taxes" and they're pretty ridiculous, IMO. I think the BoH board here has had a few threads on it.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

^Yeah, they brought up those taxes in Broke a bit. I just remember the ones for tennis players, crazy.

As for tonight, even knowing the story and what happens, they sure do keep you on your seat about what happens next. The focus on someone being caught on steroids is always the athlete, but it is amazing all the background people who go down too.

Old
10-18-2012, 04:45 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Did anyone else watch the 30 for 30 about the auctioning of the original handwritten rules of basketball written by James Naismith? Was FASCINATING. Great episode,

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Did anyone else watch the 30 for 30 about the auctioning of the original handwritten rules of basketball written by James Naismith? Was FASCINATING. Great episode,
I was kinda meh about it til the end and then it caught me again. I couldn't believe someone went through all of that and then how much it was going for? I kinda wanted the other side to win just to see something hit the fan.

Pretty excited for this week. Benji has been on the on demand channel for some time now, but I wanted to wait

Old
10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I did. My sister is a junior at KU (Basketball season ticket holder all three years) and was a freshman when this all happened. I myself was just days away from my first game at Allen Fieldhouse. What that movie said is absolutely true: going to a game there is both a religious experience in a sense and probably the loudest, craziest venue for a sporting event. I could do a whole post on my trip to Allen alone, but the Rules are home at KU.

*What the documentary did fail to mention is something I call Naismith's Irony: He may have been the inventor of basketball, but he is the only KU men's basketball coach with a career losing record.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
The Fab 5, The U, and the Pony Express were my favorites.

I could see them doing a Lebron/Cleveland thing (could be ok), maybe a Jamarcus Russel/Ryan Leaf bust episode. Any others?
Yeah, those were my favourites as well.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:29 PM
17futurecap

I'm hoping they eventually do one on the Pete Carroll years at USC.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:23 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

I knew Benji was going to be sad, but all the little things that led up to his death just make you shake your head.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I knew Benji was going to be sad, but all the little things that led up to his death just make you shake your head.
My wife listens to the Chicago PD scanner virtually everyday. She used to listen to the NYPD alot because of the activity there but started getting into Chitown because of the murders that have plagued the city this year.

It was the one of the biggest things I kept thinking about while watching this program.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:27 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
My wife listens to the Chicago PD scanner virtually everyday. She used to listen to the NYPD alot because of the activity there but started getting into Chitown because of the murders that have plagued the city this year.

It was the one of the biggest things I kept thinking about while watching this program.
There is a website where you can listen to PD scanners and the Chicago one is the most popular. At first I thought it was because it uses so many precincts (you don't get the whole call sometimes cause it'll switch over), but then I started to realize something is always happening. It is crazy cause a weekday night will sound like a weekend.

And yeah, I started to think about how back in the 90s we had a gang problem here. Nothing as bad as Chicago, but I knew people on both sides with the same mentalities as those in the show.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Dubi Doo

Love this series even though I've only seen three episodes. I've watched to the limit, The U, and Unguarded. All three were great. To the Limit was pretty crazy, though.

Last edited by Dubi Doo: 10-24-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Very good movie on Mississippi's football team last night

Just finished watching

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote