HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All Purpose Luongo Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 10:50 PM
  #101
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Well then I think I speak on behalf of all Canuck fans when I say I'm happy you're not the GM.



I'll take Finn + Colbourne + Bozak.
How much do you know about those 3 players?

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 10:53 PM
  #102
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I disagree about the assessment of Bozak, I don't know that he would be any more then a 30ish point player in our system behind both Kesler and Hank. This isn't to knock him or his ceiling, but our circumstances are different then Toronto's.
I don't see Bozak scoring more than ~30 either but he won't be relied on that.
He provides a #2C gap til Kesler's back.

He's also defensively adequate and comes with a much lower cap hit then Lupul did.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Edmonton or Columbus are seeming attractive for the sort of return I'd be asking for if I were GMMG.
CBJ is full of secondary depth players and EDM has some great prospects (not the big 4) + Gagner for bait.

Unfortunately both teams also just acquired/resigned goaltenders.

kthsn is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 10:54 PM
  #103
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,283
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
How much do you know about those 3 players?
Matt Finn, slated to go mid-late 1st, taken in the early 2nd, started off the season hot at a ppg in the OHL. Upside is Ryan Suter-lite

Joe Colborne, has shown flashes of greatness, but has been suffering with wrist problems, may or may not be over them

Tyler Bozak, best suited to the third line, but due to neccessity and decent chemistry has found himself Toronto's 1st line C. Decent offensive instincts, but nothing to drool over. Upcoming UFA.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:00 PM
  #104
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Matt Finn, slated to go mid-late 1st, taken in the early 2nd, started off the season hot at a ppg in the OHL. Upside is Ryan Suter-lite

Joe Colborne, has shown flashes of greatness, but has been suffering with wrist problems, may or may not be over them

Tyler Bozak, best suited to the third line, but due to neccessity and decent chemistry has found himself Toronto's 1st line C. Decent offensive instincts, but nothing to drool over. Upcoming UFA.
Even though my question wasn't directed at you, this is pretty accurate.

Average age of these three players: 22 years

You're not getting two prospects like Finn and Colborne for Luongo.

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:01 PM
  #105
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post


CBJ is full of secondary depth players and EDM has some great prospects (not the big 4) + Gagner for bait.

Unfortunately both teams also just acquired/resigned goaltenders.
For God's sake does anyone believe Luongo is going to go to Columbus or Edmonton?

frankthetank91 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:05 PM
  #106
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,283
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
For God's sake does anyone believe Luongo is going to go to Columbus or Edmonton?
No, because I think Toronto has a greater need, and thus, will outbid them.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:08 PM
  #107
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
Not going to be traded:

Rielly, Gardiner, Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Finn, Grabo, Lupul, 1st

Could be available depending on how many:

Kadri, Frattin, MacArthur, Bozak, Ashton, Colborne, Percy

Available:

Lombardi, Connolly, Komisarek, Franson

Obviously theres other options but these are the obvious names and ones that have been mentioned in this thread.

frankthetank91 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:08 PM
  #108
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,283
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Even though my question wasn't directed at you, this is pretty accurate.

Average age of these three players: 22 years

You're not getting two prospects like Finn and Colborne for Luongo.
That's your opinion. It's more likely it ends up being something like Bozak, Kadri/Colborne/Finn, 1st, following the usual formula with star players being traded, but as Leafs fans are loathe to part with their first, we are replacing it with an equivalent prospect.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:09 PM
  #109
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
No, because I think Toronto has a greater need, and thus, will outbid them.
You do realize that Lou has to okay any trade to Columbus or Edmonton? I highly doubt there is a bidding war you seem to be hoping for, and it is very unlikely Lou will waive to move to Edmonton or Columbus. I can understand the excitement and importance, but do you know you come accross as desperate?

New Liskeard is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:12 PM
  #110
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,283
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
You do realize that Lou has to okay any trade to Columbus or Edmonton? I highly doubt there is a bidding war you seem to be hoping for, and it is very unlikely Lou will waive to move to Edmonton or Columbus. I can understand the excitement and importance, but do you know you come accross as desperate?
I don't see us as desperate. Worst case scenario, we roll with Schneider/Luongo, and you with Reimer/Scrivens. We'll see who ends up being desperate.

And tbh I think Luongo would prefer playing in Edmonton to Toronto.(Oilers fan growing up, brighter future, favourite player was Fuhr, etc.)

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:12 PM
  #111
Rude Dog
Registered User
 
Rude Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
One word. Delusional. Luongo is not getting back 4 young players from TO. I would be shocked. Just like Jays fans quickly came to the realization that Bard, Pedroia or Buckholz weren't coming back for Farrell.

Kadri, Percy, Finn & Frattin is like trading 2 1st's, a 2nd and a 4th (and Finn was slotted to go in the 1st). Not happening.


Last edited by Rude Dog: 10-23-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Rude Dog is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:12 PM
  #112
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
You do realize that Lou has to okay any trade to Columbus or Edmonton? I highly doubt there is a bidding war you seem to be hoping for, and it is very unlikely Lou will waive to move to Edmonton or Columbus. I can understand the excitement and importance, but do you know you come accross as desperate?
Luongo growing up was an Edmonton fan. They have a great young core.

Why would Luongo waive for Toronto (a lottery team) but not the other ones?

kthsn is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:16 PM
  #113
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Luongo growing up was an Edmonton fan. They have a great young core.

Why would Luongo waive for Toronto (a lottery team) but not the other ones?
No response to Columbus? Afterall, according the experts here, that have the ability to consumate an NHL deal, Columbus is in the mix. Good for Edmonton if Lou decided he wants to play there; not very common for players to waive NTC to go to Edmonton.

New Liskeard is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:18 PM
  #114
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
No response to Columbus? Afterall, according the experts here, that have the ability to consumate an NHL deal, Columbus is in the mix. Good for Edmonton if Lou decided he wants to play there; not very common for players to waive NTC to go to Edmonton.
CBJ seems to have an emerging defense (post TDL), solid enough for a defense first system to propel them into the playoffs. Also much closer to his family.

You didn't answer my question:

Why does Luongo waive for Toronto (a lottery team) but not the others?

kthsn is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:19 PM
  #115
Rude Dog
Registered User
 
Rude Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I don't see us as desperate. Worst case scenario, we roll with Schneider/Luongo, and you with Reimer/Scrivens. We'll see who ends up being desperate.

And tbh I think Luongo would prefer playing in Edmonton to Toronto.(Oilers fan growing up, brighter future, favourite player was Fuhr, etc.)
So let him go to Edmonton so he can play against the Nucks in the play-offs. Not sure how many tears would be shed in TO. Most Leaf fans acknowledge they have to find a goalie, however many of us aren't convinced Lou is the answer anyway.

Rude Dog is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:22 PM
  #116
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I don't see us as desperate. Worst case scenario, we roll with Schneider/Luongo, and you with Reimer/Scrivens. We'll see who ends up being desperate.

And tbh I think Luongo would prefer playing in Edmonton to Toronto.(Oilers fan growing up, brighter future, favourite player was Fuhr, etc.)
The notion of a player like Lou, who is extremely competitive, and is a proven number 1, is willing to take a back seat, or the very least is willing to play less games, while in his prime is ridiculous. Good for Edmonton of Lou wants to play their, and Nucks fans and Gillis will get plenty of looks at their old goalie. Although it is rare for players to waive NTC to go to Edmonton. Good luck with that.


It makes sense that posters want to garner the most in a trade, and see their teams successful. But the ridiculous ideas and suggestions from Cannucks fans, on expectations in a Louongo trade is not even close to realistic.

New Liskeard is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:22 PM
  #117
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
CBJ seems to have an emerging defense (post TDL), solid enough for a defense first system to propel them into the playoffs. Also much closer to his family.

You didn't answer my question:

Why does Luongo waive for Toronto (a lottery team) but not the others?
Because as a professional athlete you chase glory. Maybe you have to live in Toronto but I can assure you, not to be elitist or anything, if Luongo comes here, and is one of the main reasons this franchise gets into the playoffs for the first time since 2004 he will be a hero, praised. Our standards are so low right now, a city thats craved good goaltending since Belfour, that Luongo who be treated as a God amongst goalies.

.......or it's closer to his wife, good hockey city, near his hometown, would be the starter and it's better then Columbus.

Oh and Grant Fuhr played for the Leafs too if that consoles him.

frankthetank91 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:22 PM
  #118
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Luongo growing up was an Edmonton fan. They have a great young core.

Why would Luongo waive for Toronto (a lottery team) but not the other ones?
What makes you think Katz in Edmonton is willing to pay $6.7M per year for Luongo after 33 years of age?

The Oilers will go with Dubnyk, they need to see what they have in him. That team has time to find a goalie if Dubnyk can't do the job.

Unless you hang on to Luongo for a year or two, Edmonton won't be a viable candidate.

Columbus is a disaster, even with Ryan Murray. Luongo would never accept a trade to Ohio.

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:24 PM
  #119
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
CBJ seems to have an emerging defense (post TDL), solid enough for a defense first system to propel them into the playoffs. Also much closer to his family.

You didn't answer my question:

Why does Luongo waive for Toronto (a lottery team) but not the others?
There was a quote from Luongo suggesting he would like to play in a market where hockey matters. I suppose Columbus (if true) would be more appealing, or Edmonton, or even Florida if they are interested? Maybe you are seeing the pattern here, there are very few suitors for Lou, and Lou does not want to finish his career in Vancouver.

New Liskeard is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:26 PM
  #120
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,283
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
The notion of a player like Lou, who is extremely competitive, and is a proven number 1, is willing to take a back seat, or the very least is willing to play less games, while in his prime is ridiculous.
Too bad he signed a contract with us.

Quote:
Good for Edmonton of Lou wants to play their, and Nucks fans and Gillis will get plenty of looks at their old goalie. Although it is rare for players to waive NTC to go to Edmonton. Good luck with that.


It makes sense that posters want to garner the most in a trade, and see their teams successful. But the ridiculous ideas and suggestions from Cannucks fans, on expectations in a Louongo trade is not even close to realistic.
And it makes equal sense that fans would like to get a star player as cheaply as possible.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:28 PM
  #121
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Because as a professional athlete you chase glory.
Glory comes from winning, not making the playoffs.

If Luongo truly wants to win he'll stay as a #1B goalie or force a trade to Chicago.

If he just wants to be a starter then there's multiple teams he can play for.

The allure of Toronto has diminished greatly during Burke's reign. They have been a lottery team for an era.

kthsn is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:29 PM
  #122
Kass Effect
Registered User
 
Kass Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Data Corrupted
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 358
I think Gillis goes after a big piece (one of the untouchables). We don't need more depth players from a Luongo trade, we can acquire that with picks at the deadline. Kassian is looking really good, and will probably muscle his way onto the 3rd or even 2nd line. Our roster is pretty much set, so we don't have room for more bodies unless roster players go the other way... or we look at being forced into a bad deal because of the roster limit (if we are talking about the CBA getting done soon and the season starts really quickly), or we chance exposing guys to waivers... in which case we'll lose our depth anyways.

I think we'll see Luongo +, for Gardiner +. A few minor peices swapped, a few picks involved. No Rielly, no T.O. 1st.

Kass Effect is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:29 PM
  #123
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
There was a quote from Luongo suggesting he would like to play in a market where hockey matters.
Sure...like Chicago.

Edmonton and Toronto are still the lottery teams trying to land a player with a NTC. Maybe as a Leaf fan you fail to see why a 33 year old wants to spend the rest of his career on a rebuilding team.

kthsn is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:35 PM
  #124
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I think we can all agree on Bozak and Frattin being 2 pieces. The other 2 could be any of:
Kadri
Finn
Colborne
Blacker
Ashton
Percy
(In that order for me)

I would add a piece like Schroeder for both Kadri and Finn.
I still can't figure out why it is assumed that Luongo is worth 4 young pieces. Those saying "thats what Nash got" seem to forget that CBJ also added a D-man and a pick in that deal.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:35 PM
  #125
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Sure...like Chicago.

Edmonton and Toronto are still the lottery teams trying to land a player with a NTC. Maybe as a Leaf fan you fail to see why a 33 year old wants to spend the rest of his career on a rebuilding team.
Maybe Lou doesnt want to come to Toronto? All that shows you, is that there is a very limited market for Lou, and when combine that with his NTC, it gets even smaller. Although that is reality, you chose to ignore it.

New Liskeard is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.