HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Thar she blows! Admirals vs Whale (Part Deux)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 11:40 PM
  #126
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,449
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Why is it "permanent" damage?
Because it's time you can't get back. As players get older, their learning curve levels out. An 18 year old almost always has a steeper learning curve than a 22 year old, for example. Losing development time can have a real impact. I won't say it ruins players, but it's like a speed bump on a path to the NHL. The clock continues to tick, but the player is slowed down.

The bottom line though is that every player is different. No two players are going to develop the same, or respond to lost time the same way.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 11:57 PM
  #127
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I feel that is probably why the coaching staff chose to hold on to DSP last season over playing someone from Syracuse in that spot. Players will still develop in the NHL, this stuff about dominating would show up more around this league and Europe if it was otherwise. What seems like the real concern to me is whether that player brings something of value to the table. With Devo, I think it was the physicality and strong forechecking which set him above his peers. A bit like an internship, he's doing grunt work and occasionally getting an opportunity to play against guys that he wouldn't at any other level. In the meantime he develops in practice and with the supervision of our fitness staff.

This stuff about breaking players sounds like a lot of it is anecdotal or referencing edge cases.
DSP was kept on the Ducks because they didn't have another player with his size who can skate well enough to belong anywhere but the 4th line. Maroon was too poorly conditioned with his odd skating style, and Bodie was sent away previously for a reason. That doesn't mean DSP belonged in the NHL and wouldn't have developed a bigger upside by playing in the AHL, it means the Ducks used him because they had no better options and too many small players.

Ducks DVM is online now  
Old
10-24-2012, 12:01 AM
  #128
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Exit Dose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
DSP was kept on the Ducks because they didn't have another player with his size who can skate well enough to belong anywhere but the 4th line. Maroon was too poorly conditioned with his odd skating style, and Bodie was sent away previously for a reason. That doesn't mean DSP belonged in the NHL and wouldn't have developed a bigger upside by playing in the AHL, it means the Ducks used him because they had no better options and too many small players.
That's an assumption. Just because it's shared by many here, including myself at some points, doesn't mean it's what actually happened.

Exit Dose is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 05:30 PM
  #129
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,449
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
That's an assumption. Just because it's shared by many here, including myself at some points, doesn't mean it's what actually happened.
Well, the Ducks did seem to pencil DSP into the line-up, even when he was out-performed during training camp and preseason. The impression I got was that DSP needed to play his way off the team, as opposed to playing his way on the team. There really isn't any evidence to support this, except for my own observations, but I sure didn't see him as one of our best young players based on his performance, so you definitely need to look a little deeper to find out why he made the team.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 07:37 PM
  #130
Jspiral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Well, the Ducks did seem to pencil DSP into the line-up, even when he was out-performed during training camp and preseason. The impression I got was that DSP needed to play his way off the team, as opposed to playing his way on the team. There really isn't any evidence to support this, except for my own observations, but I sure didn't see him as one of our best young players based on his performance, so you definitely need to look a little deeper to find out why he made the team.
Maybe it's just me but I was under the impression that he was too big for juniors to further help his development and he was too young for the AHL so he would have to play pretty poorly to get sent down.

I have a pretty high opinion of DSP. His play had me pleasantly surprised. He displayed solid vision, hockey IQ, and some play making abilities as well as what I thought was good chemistry with Getzlaf and Perry. I really enjoyed watching him play and he impressed me more than a few times. So I'm surprised to see you're not very excited about his play.

Jspiral is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 07:58 PM
  #131
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,449
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspiral View Post
Maybe it's just me but I was under the impression that he was too big for juniors to further help his development and he was too young for the AHL so he would have to play pretty poorly to get sent down.

I have a pretty high opinion of DSP. His play had me pleasantly surprised. He displayed solid vision, hockey IQ, and some play making abilities as well as what I thought was good chemistry with Getzlaf and Perry. I really enjoyed watching him play and he impressed me more than a few times. So I'm surprised to see you're not very excited about his play.
Where did I say I wasn't excited about his play? I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I think DSP will end up as a pretty good NHL player. He's a strong kid who is learning to use his size well, and I think his offensive skills are a little underrated, but that isn't the same to me as being legitimately NHL ready. It seems like you're saying that Anaheim kept him up because they felt the NHL was a better option than the CHL, and with the AHL not being an option, there was no middleground. That goes along with what I'm saying.

DSP had some good games, but over the course of the season I'd have to say he was pretty borderline to me as an NHL player. If the AHL had been an option, that's where I think he would have been, because I just didn't think he made a clear case for himself as an NHL player. That doesn't mean I don't think he will at some point(or that I'm not excited about him as a player), because I absolutely do, but he was very raw out there, and there were plenty of times he just didn't look ready. It's easy to remember a couple of good games he had, but in an 82 game season, I expect more than that from a player. If he came into this season the same way, I'd hope that the Ducks would send him down to the AHL, both for DSP and for the Ducks, because I don't think it benefits Anaheim to try to drag a kid along who can't quite carry his own weight.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:22 PM
  #132
Jspiral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Where did I say I wasn't excited about his play? I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I think DSP will end up as a pretty good NHL player. He's a strong kid who is learning to use his size well, and I think his offensive skills are a little underrated, but that isn't the same to me as being legitimately NHL ready. It seems like you're saying that Anaheim kept him up because they felt the NHL was a better option than the CHL, and with the AHL not being an option, there was no middleground. That goes along with what I'm saying.

DSP had some good games, but over the course of the season I'd have to say he was pretty borderline to me as an NHL player. If the AHL had been an option, that's where I think he would have been, because I just didn't think he made a clear case for himself as an NHL player. That doesn't mean I don't think he will at some point(or that I'm not excited about him as a player), because I absolutely do, but he was very raw out there, and there were plenty of times he just didn't look ready. It's easy to remember a couple of good games he had, but in an 82 game season, I expect more than that from a player. If he came into this season the same way, I'd hope that the Ducks would send him down to the AHL, both for DSP and for the Ducks, because I don't think it benefits Anaheim to try to drag a kid along who can't quite carry his own weight.
Where did you say that you weren't excited about his play? Right there. haha

Not sure why you're getting defensive. I pretty much agreed with you. We only disagree about DSP's play.

Jspiral is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:27 PM
  #133
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,449
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspiral View Post
Where did you say that you weren't excited about his play? Right there. haha

Not sure why you're getting defensive. I pretty much agreed with you. We only disagree about DSP's play.
Okay, then you're reading my post differently than I am. How does not thinking he's NHL ready yet(or rather, that he was borderline lats season), or feeling he's still very raw, translate into not being excited? Etem looks a lot less NHL ready than DSP does, and I'm excited about him. Lindholm looks surprisingly good for an 18 year old, but he could probably spend another season or two getting ready for the next step, and I'm thrilled with him.

I'm not getting defensive, I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from saying I'm not excited about him, because that isn't what I said at all. You seem to be infering that I have to feel he fit right in as a 19 year old to be excited about him.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:37 PM
  #134
Jspiral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
I said you weren't excited about his play which you're obviously not. Not that you're not excited about him as a player. lol forget it.

Jspiral is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
  #135
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,449
vCash: 50
I am excited about his play, but this is a 19 year old we're talking about. There is a lot of room for growth there. You have to consider his age. Am I excited for his play as is, in the sense that I'd be happy if this is where he ended up? Absolutely not. That would be a disappointment. But I'm absolutely excited that a 19 year old player is playing the way he is, because I think it bodes well for the future.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 09:18 PM
  #136
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,187
vCash: 500
DSP's complete ceiling (meaning he totally pans out) is probably what Dustin Brown is. A 55+ point winger that hits a lot. I'm not saying that he can reach that, but that's probably his cieling. I think he probably becomes a 45 point really good 3rd liner for us that hits. Who really knows though? He's still so young and like Sojourn has said, he's very raw at this point.

I'm very excited about what he can bring in the future.

AngelDuck is online now  
Old
10-25-2012, 12:22 AM
  #137
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14,230
vCash: 500
DSP has good hands around the net he is a unique player and one that i only see improving not sure why you guys are so concerned with him

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 12:40 AM
  #138
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,449
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
DSP has good hands around the net he is a unique player and one that i only see improving not sure why you guys are so concerned with him
Who is concerned about him?

Sojourn is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 01:51 AM
  #139
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 32,969
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
DSP's complete ceiling (meaning he totally pans out) is probably what Dustin Brown is. A 55+ point winger that hits a lot. I'm not saying that he can reach that, but that's probably his cieling. I think he probably becomes a 45 point really good 3rd liner for us that hits. Who really knows though? He's still so young and like Sojourn has said, he's very raw at this point.

I'm very excited about what he can bring in the future.
As fair an assessment as I've ever seen.

DuckJet is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 05:07 AM
  #140
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Exit Dose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Who is concerned about him?
The people that are afraid that he can't or won't develop in the NHL.

Exit Dose is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
  #141
Professor John Frink
Registered User
 
Professor John Frink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
The people that are afraid that he can't or won't develop in the NHL.
I don't think anyone is afraid he won't develop. I think the discussion has been more focused on what is best for his development.

I'm a proponent of him spending the entire year in the AHL. But I have no doubts that DSP will be a NHL player on some level. Either as a second line two way physical player or a grinder.

Professor John Frink is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.