HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
10-19-2012, 05:43 PM
kihei

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

And how about Jacques Audillard for Rust and Bone?
As Intouchables was chosen as France's candidate in the Foreign Language film category over Rust and Bone, I think Audiard has not a chance in the world of a nomination for best director. Cotillard might get some attention for best actress, but with Emmanuelle Riva's performance in Amour so highly thought of by so many, Marion has major competition from another French actress. I can see one of them possibly being nominated, but not both.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester

vCash: 500
Definitely not for this scene, though.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss The Avengers as a Best Picture nominee. You do know that Avatar, Inception, and District 9 were nominated, right? The Avengers has better critic reviews / ratings than all three.
No chance. If they were going to nominate a superhero movie this year (very unlikely), it would more likely be The Dark Knight Rises.

District 9, Inception, and even Avatar were very different movies from The Avengers. Its sole intention was to be entertaining, and though it succeeded, exciting action sequences and amusing one-liners aren't what earns a Best Picture nomination.

This is like the people who, in July 2011, expected a nomination for Harry Potter 7: Part 2 (which incidentally has a higher critic score than The Avengers on both Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic). If critic reviews were the basis for nominations, we wouldn't have seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (47% on Rotten Tomatoes) nominated over Harry Potter (96%) last year. Which is not to say that ELIC's nomination was a good thing...

Another thing to keep in mind is that 86% of Academy voters are over the age of 50. Not exactly The Avengers' target demographic.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...3284.htmlstory

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:17 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
District 9 involved social commentary of post-apartheid South Africa, Inception had a highly original screenplay starring one of Hollywood's most popular leading man, Avatar was directed by Academy favourite James Cameron and was seen by many as a "game-changer" for the advent of 3D movies.

The Avengers? It's good, it met and perhaps even exceeded audience expectations, but I don't know if it's anything beyond a fun, summer blockbuster.
And if you include the Avengers...then what about The Dark Knight Rises? Does that end up in consideration too?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
And if you include the Avengers...then what about The Dark Knight Rises? Does that end up in consideration too?
I think the situation with The Dark Knight Rises is the same as it was with the last Harry Potter film. There was some thought that Deathly Hallows Part 2 would get in as the capper to the films, but it ended up not being as good as most of its predecessors. If The Dark Knight Rises was better than it was, it would have had a chance. But it simply wasn't good enough to overcome the Academys views on superhero movies. The Dark Knight probably had the greatest chance a superhero film ever had. They chose The Reader instead.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:46 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Quote:
District 9 involved social commentary of post-apartheid South Africa, Inception had a highly original screenplay starring one of Hollywood's most popular leading man, Avatar was directed by Academy favourite James Cameron and was seen by many as a "game-changer" for the advent of 3D movies.

The Avengers? It's good, it met and perhaps even exceeded audience expectations, but I don't know if it's anything beyond a fun, summer blockbuster.
Took the words right out of my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I here what you are saying and agree that it wont be nominated for best movie. But how on earth doesn't Avengers make for great cinema? :O
It's a fun blockbuster with amazing special effects but it is not good cinema. It's an epic live action cartoon basically. The acting wasn't all that great. It was filled with cliches. The plot lacked substance as it was clearly designed to fit as many bad-ass comic book characters into it as possible. It lacks the elements that define a great film.

It's one of my favorite movies, but it's value is in the wow factors and action. Nothing more. I'd be surprised if the Avengers managed to get one "Best Picture" vote.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:08 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
And how about Jacques Audillard for Rust and Bone?
Seems to have picked up virtually zero festival buzz...it went from being one of the more anticipated movies of the year to seemingly a fizzle. Still would like to see it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss The Avengers as a Best Picture nominee. You do know that Avatar, Inception, and District 9 were nominated, right? The Avengers has better critic reviews / ratings than all three.
I'm not going to break down every single critic review for both movies but glancing at Rotten Tomato ratings and determining the one with the higher score is the better film is extremely disengenuous. Hypothetically, is a movie where 90% of the reviewers say "This is a pretty entertaining movie, I had fun" better than a movie where 80% of the reviewers say "This movie changed my life, a singular masterpiece amongst the greatest of all time"? Because RT weights one review the exact same as the other.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
No chance. If they were going to nominate a superhero movie this year (very unlikely), it would more likely be The Dark Knight Rises.

District 9, Inception, and even Avatar were very different movies from The Avengers. Its sole intention was to be entertaining, and though it succeeded, exciting action sequences and amusing one-liners aren't what earns a Best Picture nomination.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 86% of Academy voters are over the age of 50. Not exactly The Avengers' target demographic.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...3284.htmlstory
Considering it got much less love from the critics (compared to The Avengers and The Dark Knight), I doubt that. Even technical awards are a reach. If Zimmer gets a nod for the soundtrack...

Avengers did have fairly large appeal as "a family movie", I remember reading from superherohype.com boards about people seeing lots of older people in the theaters or their grandparents or parents liking the movie.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:47 AM
P U L L H A R D

Guys, when has a kids/super hero movie ever really won an Oscar? Maybe a few times? I can't even think of one. A movie like TDK will possibly get a nomination, as it is at least somewhat adult in its content, but if a film like The Avengers, which is made purely as a fun, rollercoaster type bright-lights-and-loud-noises type of film, I can barely see it getting a nomination. Movies like Les Miserables, The Master, and I guess Argo and Lincoln (even though I feel like they aren't really anything special enough to be anything more than "that was a good movie", outside of DDL's acting, sorry folks for my crappy bias ) will be getting nominated. Think about the last few winners of best picture. They pick decidedly more adult oriented films, for the most part.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:58 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 438
Well, I haven't seen many movies that are in Oscar consideration, but I hope they do something with best song. They can start by nominating Adele's Skyfall, which looks on track to win a Grammy or two. Last year's list was depressing and I've always liked the best song category.

As for the movies up for best picture, I really want to see The Master (Missed it when it was on it's run though ), Argo, Lincoln, and Les Mes. I hope when they release the nominations, I would have seen at least 2 of them.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:08 AM
SB164

Quote:
Like Eternal Sunshine said, The Dark Knight Rises is at least somewhat adult in its content. It includes moments of symbolism (Bruce Wayne having to climb out of the prison without the use of a rope.) And obviously, Batman himself is a symbol (something they keep hitting you over the head with all throughout the trilogy.)

Is it a bit clumsy at times? Sure, but that's not a surprise considering the film's ambitious scope and target audience.

Nonetheless, TDKR is done well enough, it stars respectable Oscar-winning actors, it has an appropriate, satisfying ending, and it will probably garner a few technical nominations.

Last edited by SB164: 10-20-2012 at 02:34 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:44 AM
discostu

I wouldn't rule out The Dark Knight Rises for a best picture nomination. I agree with what was said that it being a drop off from the last one hurts its chances, but it is important to remember that after TDK didn't get a nomination last time, the Academy reacted by expanding the number of nominees.

They always will want at least one major commercially successful film in the mix for ratings purposes. With some other big films coming, there may be other options, but I think TDK remains in the mix until you see another major big budget film emerge.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:15 AM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Guys, when has a kids/super hero movie ever really won an Oscar? Maybe a few times? I can't even think of one. A movie like TDK will possibly get a nomination, as it is at least somewhat adult in its content, but if a film like The Avengers, which is made purely as a fun, rollercoaster type bright-lights-and-loud-noises type of film, I can barely see it getting a nomination. Movies like Les Miserables, The Master, and I guess Argo and Lincoln (even though I feel like they aren't really anything special enough to be anything more than "that was a good movie", outside of DDL's acting, sorry folks for my crappy bias ) will be getting nominated. Think about the last few winners of best picture. They pick decidedly more adult oriented films, for the most part.

The Oscars and their nominations are a different beast these days. They want viewers. Look at how complete dreck like Avatar, Inception, and The Blind Side get nominations for Best Picture. It's much more mainstream audience friendly than it was in the past, and it seems like they are much more open minded to nominating big budget / non-drama films. Before that, 1993's The Fugitive is the only action genre film that I can remember getting nominated for the Best Picture award.

By the way, I am not defending The Avengers' quality. It was one liner after one liner tied together by CGI action sequences. But I do think that it has a Best Picture chance, better than people here think.

Last edited by chuppa chupp: 10-20-2012 at 11:21 AM.
chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:17 AM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I wouldn't rule out The Dark Knight Rises for a best picture nomination. I agree with what was said that it being a drop off from the last one hurts its chances, but it is important to remember that after TDK didn't get a nomination last time, the Academy reacted by expanding the number of nominees.

They always will want at least one major commercially successful film in the mix for ratings purposes. With some other big films coming, there may be other options, but I think TDK remains in the mix until you see another major big budget film emerge.
I wouldn't rule it out either. The Dark Knight's absentee Best Oscar nom is basically the reason why the nomination field has been changed to add more films. We'll see if they "reward" Nolan for his movies.

chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Shareefruck

It would be absolutely stupid if it did, though.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:46 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
It would be absolutely stupid if it did, though.
This.

I get that they have more spots for nominations now. I don't think it was TDK that influenced though, was it? I recall there just being a really strong year and 1 or 2 really good films didn't even get nominated (yes, films, not movies). Regardless, if something like TDK Rises or Avengers wins anything major, that will be the biggest travesty in Oscar history.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
This.

I get that they have more spots for nominations now. I don't think it was TDK that influenced though, was it? I recall there just being a really strong year and 1 or 2 really good films didn't even get nominated (yes, films, not movies). Regardless, if something like TDK Rises or Avengers wins anything major, that will be the biggest travesty in Oscar history.
To be fair, complain all you want, compared to all other major awards, the Oscars are unfortunately about as good as it gets. If this were the Grammys or Emmys, those movies would be cleaning out.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:32 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
To be fair, complain all you want, compared to all other major awards, the Oscars are unfortunately about as good as it gets. If this were the Grammys or Emmys, those movies would be cleaning out.
Haha, I know. *Sigh*

Old
10-21-2012, 02:15 AM
blueandgoldguy

Only 8 years ago, The Return of the King set a record for most Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director. I expect The Hobbit to be the big box office representative for Best Picture at next year's Academy Awards ceremony as well..and it will be deserved. Peter Jackson has done a fantastic job adapting Tolkien's books to the big screen.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:34 AM
kihei

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Only 8 years ago, The Return of the King set a record for most Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director. I expect The Hobbit to be the big box office representative for Best Picture at next year's Academy Awards ceremony as well..and it will be deserved. Peter Jackson has done a fantastic job adapting Tolkien's books to the big screen.
If it gets raves and is very popular, I suppose The Hobbit is a legitimate long shot for a nomination. But don't you think the Academy might have a "been there, done that" attitude toward it that might severely limit its chances even if it is good?

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
No because the DKR sucks.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Madagascar 3 for best animated film. I'll have to watch Ice Age 4 (haven't watched even 3 yet) though it's got a great hurdle to climb after Madagascar 3.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:12 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
They simply rewarded Jackson for the entirety of the series with those Oscars. The Hobbit might get nominated, but I doubt it has any chance to win, especially since it is the first of three films on the same story.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:45 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Madagascar 3 for best animated film. I'll have to watch Ice Age 4 (haven't watched even 3 yet) though it's got a great hurdle to climb after Madagascar 3.
Ehh, I'm pretty sure Brave, Wreck-it Ralph and The Secret World of Arriety have a better chance of winning than Madagascar 3.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:57 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
^ Easily

I've been reading the reviews for Skyfall, can't see a franchise movie like that winning a best picture but from the sounds of it, it might take home a best supporting actor (Early reviews say Javier Bardem's Silva is the best Bond villain of all time) and a Cinematography award.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote