HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lake Erie Monsters @ OKC Barons Tuesday 10/23 6PM MDT One More Time With Feeling!

Old
10-24-2012, 12:13 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Great to see Eberle and RNH finding there form. I missed the 2nd and 3rd but it sounds like Eberle could have had a bunch more too.

Schultz with an off night and still puts up 3p. I was really hoping we'd get him, and I was ecstatic when we did. 9p in his first 5 games? I'm as optimistic as they come in regards to Schultz's upside, but this kind of production is just incredible. He's well surpassed even my most hopeful starts to his AHL career. And with RNH and Eberle rounding into form, and Hall set to join them, I'm not sure I see a big dip coming in his scoring. This kid could be dynamite for us.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Philly85
Moody'

The thing about Schultz is that he makes it look easy... which speaks to his intelligence, overall hockey sense and talent... he's going to be fun to watch in the NHL.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:22 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Damn I missed the third period, fell asleep..pissed off I missed that last Barons goal.
Sounds like a good game

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Toydarian

I was impressed with Marincin's play. He didn't do anything particularly spectacular but I liked his poise, stick work, and ability to make some nice outlet passes while under pressure.

Schultz was impressive in the offensive zone and man is he a beautiful skater. He and RNH make a great duo on the PP, both created a ton of room for each other. It's crazy to think our PP could be even better once he joins the Oilers!

Pitlick wasn't nearly as raw as I was expecting him to be. He has a great shot, wheels, defensive awareness, and grit. I remember hearing the Kesler comparisons when he was drafted; even if he tops out as a pre-2009 Kesler, he'll be a valuable asset.

In regards to Bartschi, I think he'll be great as good as Eberle even. Although, I don't think he'll ever be as good as RNH.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:34 AM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

I remember Paul Coffey saying that he actually asked his son about Schultz when Lowe asked him to make the call to him. His son said, "dad, he walks the blue line like you always say you should do and he is great at finding lanes to the net".

This guy is as advertised. So smooth out there as well. Makes it looks like childs play.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's just hard to discount someone as having 20-30 goal potential when they have THAT good of a shot. He's not Yak, but he already has an above average NHL shot
I don't get these statements about Pitlick or the Comparisons to Kesler at all.

A shot looking good always has to be referenced with the quality of D, how much time a guy has to work into a semi-dangerous scoring position, and of the course the goalies he's facing.

Pitlick is unlikey to ever score 20 goals in an NHL season. I state that unequivocally.

Conversely with a Junior player like RNH one could note that his ability to cloak effectively and shoot through screens with some great accuracy was going to be a problem for anybody. This being somebody that could work in the typical phone booth that the NHL Ice affords. Pitlick? Not so much. Doesn't have the hands, coordination, deft puck control to be much of a scorer at the NHL level.
Its not just about how you appear to shoot the puck, it rarely is. Its more is the player scoring the type of goals that will translate to the NHL. With Pitlick I think not.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-24-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

The things that Pitlick has in his favor for scoring goals at the next level are his speed, shot, and willingness to take it hard to the net. I don't think he'll ever be a big goal scorer, but I wouldn't write him off from hitting 20 goals in his prime.

10-24-2012, 09:00 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I don't get these statements about Pitlick or the Comparisons to Kesler at all.

A shot looking good always has to be referenced with the quality of D, how much time a guy has to work into a semi-dangerous scoring position, and of the course the goalies he's facing.

Pitlick is unlikey to ever score 20 goals in an NHL season. I state that unequivocally.

Conversely with a Junior player like RNH one could note that his ability to cloak effectively and shoot through screens with some great accuracy was going to be a problem for anybody. This being somebody that could work in the typical phone booth that the NHL Ice affords. Pitlick? Not so much. Doesn't have the hands, coordination, deft puck control to be much of a scorer at the NHL level.
Its not just about how you appear to shoot the puck, it rarely is. Its more is the player scoring the type of goals that will translate to the NHL. With Pitlick I think not.
I agree that Pitlick doesn't have the offensive instincts to be a consistent 20 goal scorer at the NHL level but his style is very similar to Kesler, i can't help but to see the comparison when watching him play, i have thought this for a couple of years with Pitlick and even though he doesn't have the goal scoring instincts, he has a very attractive skillset.
His motor is constantly in high gear (when he's on), his speed is top notch, he hits with power and has a ferocious shot. It's too bad that he doesn't have better hands because he has the skillset to be an effective top 6 power forward. Unfortunately, i'm not sure if he'll ever be much of a scorer because he hasn't shown much of that ability at any level but he should be a strong presence on the 3rd line for years to come IMO.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:15 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Didn't Moreau get 18 goals one year?

I'd be fine if Pitlick turns out to be Good Moreau.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Didn't Moreau get 18 goals one year?

I'd be fine if Pitlick turns out to be Good Moreau.
That would be a hell of a turn out. Some choose to only remember Moreau's final few seasons, but he was a solid, long time NHLer who played tough and both ways, if Pitlick can become even close to that, that's a great pick.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Coldhardmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That would be a hell of a turn out. Some choose to only remember Moreau's final few seasons, but he was a solid, long time NHLer who played tough and both ways, if Pitlick can become even close to that, that's a great pick.
Moreau was even the consensus on these boards to be captain when the time came. I remember being quite upset when he broke his foot playing basketball that one summer.

Coldhardmitch is offline   Reply With Quote