HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All Purpose Luongo Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I still can't figure out why it is assumed that Luongo is worth 4 young pieces. Those saying "thats what Nash got" seem to forget that CBJ also added a D-man and a pick in that deal.
I'm adding Schroeder though!!111eleven

And all those pieces are lesser in comparison.

Dubinsky > Bozak
Anisimov > Frattin
Erixon > Finn
1st > most prospects on the list.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Maybe Lou doesnt want to come to Toronto? All that shows you, is that there is a very limited market for Lou, and when combine that with his NTC, it gets even smaller. Although that is reality, you chose to ignore it.
Okay. Luongo doesn't want to go anywhere. We'll keep him. Thank you for your interest, though.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:40 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Maybe Lou doesnt want to come to Toronto? All that shows you, is that there is a very limited market for Lou, and when combine that with his NTC, it gets even smaller. Although that is reality, you chose to ignore it.
No one's saying his value is as high as you think.

Almost all Canucks fans have been using Nash/Luongo/Kovy deals as a basis.

If Luongo was only signed for 2-3 years without a NTC we'd be seeing much more names like Kessel or Rielly in this thread.

The fact that we're seeing many secondary/tertiary roster players + B prospects is reflective of Luongo's lowered value.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Okay. Luongo doesn't want to go anywhere. We'll keep him. Thank you for your interest, though.

You're lucky you guys locked up Schneider.

Just don't piss him off.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:43 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Too bad he signed a contract with us.

And it makes equal sense that fans would like to get a star player as cheaply as possible.
I guess a "too bad" approach from Gillis to Lou should make it much more comfortable for everyone involved? Face the reality, Lou is a competitor, to suggest he will be fine riding the pine, and not be bothered is beyond foolish.

I see you deflected my question, which is not a suprise. Here is the reality for you,

The cap is likely going down
There is a limited market for Lou
Lou has a NTC
Lou will not be the consensus number 1 anymore
at 33 how many more years of top notch goaltending can he provide
with his long contract, he may decide to keep playing into his 40's with poor performances, while carrying a 5.3 mil cap hit

Face the facts, these are just some of the important moving parts involved in a trade involving Lou. No one said he isnt worth much, or that he isnt good. but there are alot of things for teams to consider when trading for him, and above are just a few of the examples of this.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
I guess a "too bad" approach from Gillis to Lou should make it much more comfortable for everyone involved? Face the reality, Lou is a competitor, to suggest he will be fine riding the pine, and not be bothered is beyond foolish.

I see you deflected my question, which is not a suprise. Here is the reality for you,

Lou has a NTC
with his long contract, he may decide to keep playing into his 40's with poor performances, while carrying a 5.3 mil cap hit

Face the facts, these are just some of the important moving parts involved in a trade involving Lou. No one said he isnt worth much, or that he isnt good. but there are alot of things for teams to consider when trading for him, and above are just a few of the examples of this.
Tell you what, when all your speculation comes true and we're forced to trade Luongo for scraps, we'll come crawling back on our knees begging you to take him. Until then we'll wait for a decent offer to turn up.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:46 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Good luck with that. Keep a classy player and guy riding the bench when he should be the number 1 starter should work out just fine. But then again what was your solution to Lou, "too bad, you signed a contract?" That will go over really well.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Good luck with that.
Thanks. At least it's a better goaltending situation than most teams in the league have.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:51 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Tell you what, when all your speculation comes true and we're forced to trade Luongo for scraps, we'll come crawling back on our knees begging you to take him. Until then we'll wait for a decent offer to turn up.
Last post, i've wasted too much time. No one ever said the Cannucks would have to give him away for scraps, that is not realistic and you should understand that. Second, im not sure what "offers" you are waiting on. I highly doubt NHL GM's contact you with trade proposals, and if they did, you dont have the ability (in real life anyway) to consumate them. This is a board of make believe, ideas, debates and conversation. If posting on here makes you feel like an NHL GM, well then carry on then.

There are alot of moving parts and considerations to be made by any team that wants to aquire Lou. Take that into consideration.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Good luck with that. Keep a classy player and guy riding the bench when he should be the number 1 starter should work out just fine. But then again what was your solution to Lou, "too bad, you signed a contract?" That will go over really well.

I agree.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Last post, i've wasted too much time. No one ever said the Cannucks would have to give him away for scraps, that is not realistic and you should understand that. Second, im not sure what "offers" you are waiting on. I highly doubt NHL GM's contact you with trade proposals, and if they did, you dont have the ability (in real life anyway) to consumate them. This is a board of make believe, ideas, debates and conversation. If posting on here makes you feel like an NHL GM, well then carry on then.

There are alot of moving parts and considerations to be made by any team that wants to aquire Lou. Take that into consideration.
I'm waiting for players like Matt freaking Frattin to not be considered untouchable for a player who would arguably be the best player on the team. If I can have a sensible conversation, such as getting the bare bones down, but discuss the merits of Finn over Ashton, that's fine. That's why I come here, to have a sensible discussion about the possibility of a trade involving Luongo, what pieces it might entail, and how these possible pieces may help or not help the team I cheer for. But when people say that they want Luongo, but don't want to give up anything good for him, I don't think anyone can honestly believe the other fanbase's reaction to be "Sure, we'd love to exchange our star player for nothing important." Lots of Leafs fans have been willing to have reasonable debates about what a future deal may be. I don't see why the same arguments have to be rehashed every time a new face turns up claiming Luongo has little to no value.

/rant

Old
10-24-2012, 12:18 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Posters do not seem to understand that Luongo and Schnieder will compete every night for thier next start. Luongo is a hard worker and a proud guy. He won't just acknowledge that someone is better.

Schnieder has sixty NHL games to his credit. He just signed a new contract without a no-trade clause.

Is it not possible that Vancouver's coaches noticed how well these guys play when they are in competition? The Canucks are not over the cap as it exists now. I suspect they'd trade away Edler if they became boxed in by saleries.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:32 AM
StringerBell

Just caught myself up on the thread. Everything was going so well for the first 3-4 pages, but that seems to have gone to hell now. It was good to see fans of both sides finding some common ground for once, even if it was short lived.

I'd still really like to see at least two roster players coming back to help try to put us over the top. Bozak +Kulemin/Frattin + 1-2 B prospects for Luongo and perhaps Raymond would be a nice looking deal. Not unlike the one being considered in the beginning of this thread, but preferably with Kulemin.

Leafs fans, would you rather see Kulemin or Frattin included? It seems to me that Kulemin is the better player now, but Frattin projects to be as good if not better and fits better age-wise with the future core. If you feel the urge to respond with "neither they're both untouchable for Lu", just don't bother responding please.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:44 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post

You're lucky you guys locked up Schneider.

Just don't piss him off.
We could very well be in this goalie situation again in a year or two at the most with Eddie Lack and Luongo/Schneider, whoever we trade/keep.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
We could very well be in this goalie situation again in a year or two at the most with Eddie Lack and Luongo/Schneider, whoever we trade/keep.
Then we'll have Schneider/Luongo/Lack and Cannata.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:47 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Do you actually believe for one second Luongo would ride the bench?

Old
10-24-2012, 12:47 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Then we'll have Schneider/Luongo/Lack and Cannata.
Good point. HF; get used to talking about our goalies and where they'll go, it'll be a long ride.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:05 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
don't know why Luongo would just say "oh poor me, now im a backup so I mine as well just ride out my contract playing the #2 position" and he would simultaneously sabotage our team from the inside.

Luongo is a proud guy and will compete for the #1 position and imho will seize it and Cory will looked to be moved.

lol at some "untouchables" lists

guess we could use the cap space on signing arnott to a big contract...

Old
10-24-2012, 01:12 AM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:

Lou has a NTC

I really don't see this logic in the bolded line of thought.

Previously (and still) you'd see a young goaltender begin to earn more and more faith in the coach, and eventually the starter or him would be moved. However hockey is in a day and age where there is no "winning" model. Look at St. Louis with Halak and Elliot, that isn't changing this season, again they'll roll whoever has a fire under their ass at that point in the season.

Fans can pretty much unanimously agree that Cory Schneider and Tukka Rask are #1 goalies, both have competed hard and busted their *** earn their starts and to force the coach to play the hot hand. So now Luongo finds himself in a similar situation where he may not be a consensus number one, but seize the moment and he very well could hit 55 GP again this season if Schneider struggles and Lu plays lights out.

Vancouver is a team that has come very close to winning the Stanley Cup, and has a shrinking window to continue to compete for it. They have two #1 goalies that are often cited for having a great relationship, both competitive and wanting a crack at a starting job. It's not a BAD problem to have. Yes Luongo has said that if they're looking to move him he will move on to a new team, but he's also a prideful guy and if the team doesn't move him, I guarantee he will show up night in and night out - playing for the team that he's been a major part of for years.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
If people think Luongo will be a problem for the Canucks, you don't know his personality. This guy served as captain. He's a team-first guy, and he knows what the situation is. He knows that the Canucks are ultimately, in control of him, despite the NTC.

If we want to talk about problems, then what happens when Burke has poor goaltending again, misses the playoffs yet again, and there he is at the end of his self proclaimed "5 year plan", left with nothing but a stupid look on his face, and anger towards the media? You really think Burke wants to go back on his word?

Vancouver has reasons to get it done, but so does Toronto. How would acquiring Luongo 1/2 way through the season look, if the Leafs still miss the playoffs by a few games - a few games that Luongo could've won?

Old
10-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Ho Borvat

Just a bit of a different look,

as a Canucks fan lets say our current tandemwas Reimer/Scrivens and Toronto had Luongo on the market.

What would Vancouver fans trade for Luongo?

(lets assume Vans 1st rounder is somewhere between 10-20).

Old
10-24-2012, 01:33 AM
Ho Borvat

I think I would be fine with something along the lines of

Booth/Higgins, Jensen, Tanev + 1st.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:51 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

as a Canucks fan lets say our current tandemwas Reimer/Scrivens and Toronto had Luongo on the market.

Let's compare the current Leafs offer to us:

Bozak -- Higgins
Frattin -- Tanev
Colborne -- Schroeder
Ashton -- Rodin

Hell yeah I'd deal that for Luongo (or a Hossa/Kovy/Zetterberg)

Old
10-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Let's compare the current Leafs offer to us:

Bozak -- Higgins
Frattin -- Tanev
Colborne -- Schroeder
Ashton -- Rodin

Hell yeah I'd deal that for Luongo (or a Hossa/Kovy/Zetterberg)
I'd take Higgins and Tanev out, and sub Booth in. Our RH side for our defense is pitiful even with Tanev.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

I wouldn't take him unless its a stright-up cap dump.

Luongo for Ballard

Closed Thread