HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's side are you on if you were forced to pick sides? The owners? ... or the NHLPA?

View Poll Results: Who's side are you on if you were forced to pick sides? The owners? ... or the NHLPA?
The owners 144 48.65%
The NHLPA 152 51.35%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 04:01 AM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
I'm not surprised by this bad faith tactic on the part of the owners to directly pressure the players:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...e-players.html

Apparently they had team GMs etc directly call the players.

Sick.

The NHL has been growing by 7% a year, the players offered to go from 57/43 to 50/50 in a very rapid 3 to 5 year transition which the owners rejected over 10 minutes, and the owners are threatening to wipe out the season.

Really sick.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:59 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'm not surprised by this bad faith tactic on the part of the owners to directly pressure the players:

Sick.

The NHL has been growing by 7% a year, the players offered to go from 57/43 to 50/50 in a very rapid 3 to 5 year transition which the owners rejected over 10 minutes, and the owners are threatening to wipe out the season.

Really sick.
you skipped a few facts in there my friend

Old
10-24-2012, 06:14 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
you skipped a few facts in there my friend
Actually the most important facts of the most recent offer were included.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

Not so sure about Palushaj, say, but others like Locke, Aucoin, Conacher, whatnot, would probably be point-per-game NHLers in the league where they were given such privileged offensive roles.
No way. If those players had the talent to be point-per-game guys, they would be in that role now.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:33 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Actually the most important facts of the most recent offer were included.
Actually the players most recent offer was pretty much the same offer since the start.

They will go to 50-50 over time and only if the revenues go up by the 7%.

Its not hard to see why the owners rejected the offers.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:41 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Actually the players most recent offer was pretty much the same offer since the start.

They will go to 50-50 over time and only if the revenues go up by the 7%.

Its not hard to see why the owners rejected the offers.
You can't both honour the current contracts and lower the player share if there isn't any growth.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:01 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
You can't both honour the current contracts and lower the player share if there isn't any growth.

The contracts now are not guaranteed. its based on 57% of the revenue. Thats why they have the escrow system. The PA have made several offers but all of them have kept roughly the 57% share.

Unless they accept that it will be 50-50 then we will be without hockey for quite some time.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:35 AM
habsfan92

DAChampion, can you flush your toilet and tell me which way direction the water goes? I will wait......

NHLPA has proposals that eventually reaches 50/50. So they acknowledge that 50/50 is the target, so why waste everyone's time with more proposals, why not just focus on the meat of the NHL's deal where you want current contracts honoured and adjusted amounts not to be a part of future 50% player portions?

7% growth in the past doesn't guarantee continued growth at 7%, or any growth at all. I hope this lasts the whole year actually, NHLPA has lost it's purpose-fighting for a pension and good compensation for it's members. They have that and then some, but want more.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

Sick.

Really sick.
If what Damian Cox wrote about Fehr is true, I'm surprised it took them even 10 minutes to reject those 'offers'

On Thursday, he walked into a significant meeting with several NHL owners 90 minutes late, plopped down two single sheets of paper, each with a different skeleton proposal to the owners that didn’t include any ideas on systemic issues, then verbally delivered a third proposal with no accompanying paperwork. For all three proposals, he acknowledged to the owners he hadn’t actually “run the numbers.”

This from the leader of a union in a $3 billion business.

Why even bother with 3 offers though? I've been involved in plenty of negotiations, of course nothing of the magnitude of these nego's, but presenting 3 skeletal offers really isn't productive if you are looking to keep the negotiations going. In my mind, the best way to get it going is to present one concise proposal.

And I am not sure I would agree that 5 years is a rapid transition, but I digress...

Old
10-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Why even bother with 3 offers though? I've been involved in plenty of negotiations, of course nothing of the magnitude of these nego's, but presenting 3 skeletal offers really isn't productive if you are looking to keep the negotiations going. In my mind, the best way to get it going is to present one concise proposal.
IMO the three proposals are just a clear way for the union to communicate its priority. That is, to preserve current contracts. Owners have a lot of leeway (hence the three options presented) to structure the rest of the deal, just leave current agreements alone.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

If they were 3 true proposals, sure, I can understand how it would perhaps open up some options, but in all reality from my experience would just murk the waters further.

That being said, from what I can see, they weren't even proper proposals. The PA admitted they didn't run the numbers on them. That's bush league, wouldn't you agree?

I'd say it's better to present one proposal that you have ran the numbers on, that is concise and complete.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Roulin

Quote:
If they were 3 true proposals, sure, I can understand how it would perhaps open up some options, but in all reality from my experience would just murk the waters further.

That being said, from what I can see, they weren't even proper proposals. The PA admitted they didn't run the numbers on them. That's bush league, wouldn't you agree?

I'd say it's better to present one proposal that you have ran the numbers on, that is concise and complete.
Yes, definitely better to have accounting done from all angles. That said, I don't think the union had any expectation that the owners would accept any of it's proposals. It was instead offering different frameworks to work within.

So far, the players find the "make whole in year 3" framework unacceptable. Same from the owners, as far as the "delay the 50% target" framework. Until they agree on that framework, I don't know that a complete proposal is realistic or helpful. But at least the two sides appear to be getting closer, 50% is the agreed target, in one way or another.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
The contracts now are not guaranteed. its based on 57% of the revenue. Thats why they have the escrow system. The PA have made several offers but all of them have kept roughly the 57% share.

Unless they accept that it will be 50-50 then we will be without hockey for quite some time.

Right, players are not idiots, they know that, but the end result is a pay cut. Owners signed those deals knowing that they would try to get out of them just a couple of weeks after the signature, and that is wrong.

The "salaries were never guaranteed" argument is laughable. Way to spin the owners out of the mess they created themselves.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:34 PM
idk

Quote:

It's not bush league at all. Fehr has to keep up the pretence of negotiations, but in reality he's not interested in negotiating right now. With so many teams actually saving money by not playing games (and the big name teams - Montreal, Toronto, Boston, New York and Detroit - kept in line with the promise of not having to share revenues with the weak sisters of the league) Fehr knows the lockout is not really a problem for Bettman. Fehr has no leverage, no good reason to force the owner's to accept his offers. And he knows it. So why bother working hard on meaningless proposals?

Fehr is biding his time. He is waiting until he has some leverage. My best guess is that will happen either before the Winter Classic (although look at the teams playing this season - neither Toronto nor Detroit is hurting for funds and while losing the Winter Classic will cost them money it's not like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (who are both just a couple million a season this side of solvent) or Washington (who lose 7.5 million a season in operation) are playing) or at the cancellation of the season (when Bettman will have to convince the profitable owners - the Canadiens stand to lose in excess of 40 million if the season is cancelled, although they are the second most profitable team in the league behind the Leafs). This is a dangerous game - Bettman and the owners have shown a willingness to sacrifice a season to get cost certainty and there's no assurance that this type of tactic will work. But Fehr is a savy guy and I figure he realizes that if he can't win this round then he might as well find his successor because if he cedes power to Bettman he'll always be forced to cede power to Bettman.

Last edited by idk: 10-24-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Right, players are not idiots, they know that, but the end result is a pay cut. Owners signed those deals knowing that they would try to get out of them just a couple of weeks after the signature, and that is wrong.

The "salaries were never guaranteed" argument is laughable. Way to spin the owners out of the mess they created themselves.
And the players that signed big, long term contracts signed in the summer because they knew that after the summer the rules might be different.

It does work both ways.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I honestly hope there is no season and the NHL losses 20%-30% of its fans. Would be a nice slap in the face to both of them.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
It's not bush league at all. Fehr has to keep up the pretence of negotiations, but in reality he's not interested in negotiating right now. With so many teams actually saving money by not playing games (and the big name teams - Montreal, Toronto, Boston, New York and Detroit - kept in line with the promise of not having to share revenues with the weak sisters of the league) Fehr knows the lockout is not really a problem for Bettman. Fehr has no leverage, no good reason to force the owner's to accept his offers. And he knows it. So why bother working hard on meaningless proposals?

There's a difference between working hard, and performing due diligence.

Presenting skeletal proposals that haven't been verified is definitely bush league.

Especially since they turned around and whined that the NHL didn't spend more than 10 minutes reviewing them before rejecting the offers.

A very see through tactic, and pretty weak IMO.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I honestly hope there is no season and the NHL losses 20%-30% of its fans. Would be a nice slap in the face to both of them.
no you dont.

you will be back cheering on your team as soon as this is all over, just like the rest of us toolbags.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

Quote:
And the players that signed big, long term contracts signed in the summer because they knew that after the summer the rules might be different.

It does work both ways.
No, it doesn't. Owners already had an idea of what they would try to get in the new CBA, players didn't, plus nobody forced them to offer those deals, they were going after UFAs just as aggressively as usual.

They created a mess that is preventing us from watching hockey right now. I am all for the 50/50 split, but it is wrong to try and renegociate deals that you JUST signed en toute connaissance de cause.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
no you dont.

you will be back cheering on your team as soon as this is all over, just like the rest of us toolbags.
I love hockey, but I'm very displeased with the way both sides keep going back and forth at one another without admitting that the Fans are the sole reason why they're in the position of making millions and millions of dollars.
Without the fans, they don't get the big arenas, they don't get big sponsors, they don't get TV deals, a lot less media covered, they don't get publicity. Yet, fans are casually mentioned, but really they are pretty much given a big F.U from both sides.
If the lockout ends and things go on as they did, then really, what messages would the fans be sending?

Fans should boycott a part of the season or something like that to send a message that those lockouts are simply unacceptable.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:42 PM
overlords
Be quiet and drive

Quote:
no you dont.

Thankfully, in this age, there are ways to watch and root for your team without financially supporting them.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Thankfully, in this age, there are ways to watch and root for your team without financially supporting them.
That's my plan... I'll be watching the games on TV no doubt, but no tickets, jersey, or even NHL13 for a couple of years

Old
10-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
That's my plan... I'll be watching the games on TV no doubt, but no tickets, jersey, or even NHL13 for a couple of years
Watching on TV still supports them

Old
10-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
Watching on TV still supports them
Withdrawal is too rough

Old
10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
overlords
Be quiet and drive

Since this thread is approaching the 1000 post mark, I'm just going to close it and encourage everyone to continue this conversation in the lockout thread. Thanks.

Closed Thread