HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
And your observations are appreciated. One can never have too much info.

But what I have a tough time with is already speculating what draft position might secure what draft pick and much assumption CBJ in top five. There is training camp and an entire season, NHL and Junior, and an awful lot questions to be asked much less answered.

Oh well it is August .....
If nothing else, think of it as early reviews of guys we might be up against.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-13-2012, 07:28 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milltec View Post
What about Barkov? Hes a big boy and looks (from the one highlight video I've seen) that he has a scorers touch. But then again it is a HIGHLIGHT reel...
He does have. But he's a better playmaker atm, vision is so good. Once he matures and learns to use he's body more effectively, he could score some big numbers.

IMO he has the highest potential of all young Finns, and a good chance to reach it. Skating is weakness but he's still young and it is very rare to be a good skater when you're that big so early. It will improve but only time will tell to what extent.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Canada Downs Switzerland 4-1

http://www.whl.ca/article/canada-win...ner-over-swiss

So, uh ... that MacKinnon kid is pretty good, eh? 1 goal, 2 assists in the tournament opener; Curtis Lazar was also pretty impressive. The Swiss always seem to put competitive teams on the ice, so this wasn't as easy as a lot of people might assume.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Canada Moves to 2-0

Curtis Lazar notched a 2 point night to help pace Canada to a 6-5 win over Sweden earlier today. Max Domi's four point night (2g, 2a) led the way for the Canadians, who were outshot for the second game in a row.

http://www.whl.ca/article/canada-s-u...en-move-to-2-0

Domi could be a high pick in this draft also, he's a guy that shouldn't be overlooked. Built a lot like his dad was at the same age, and plays the game with a similar feistiness about him; but has a ton of skill and could be a Theoren Fleury type player down the road. Really fun to watch.

Old
08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
InjuredChoker

So Jackets have 3 first rounders, and one 2nd and 3rd rounders each (and the conditional Rangers 3rd rounder)?

Old
08-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
So Jackets have 3 first rounders, and one 2nd and 3rd rounders each (and the conditional Rangers 3rd rounder)?
Almost. Our third rounder goes to the Rangers if they fail to make the Cup finals.

Old
08-18-2012, 06:15 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I think the 3rd with the Rangers goes the other way- to the Rangers depending on ???

Old
08-18-2012, 08:03 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I think the 3rd with the Rangers goes the other way- to the Rangers depending on ???
Our 3rd goes to the NYR unless they make it to the SCF.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:59 AM
InjuredChoker

Got it, thanks. Pretty good draft to have 3 firsts.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

WHL Preliminary Rankings

Hey guys,

Apologize for the silent stint, the Ivan Hlinka tournament is over (Canada won, big shocker), and the junior season is upon us. I was out of town this week and thus unable to post on HF. My WHL counterpart in Edmonton, Dan Lizee, pieced together his preseason list for the draft eligible players in the 'dub. My list will certainly have some adjustments to it, however in the coming weeks we will put together a combined list, and together with the rest of our staff will have composed a pre-season top-30.

Dan's list:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/liz...aft-eligibles/

Old
08-21-2012, 02:14 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I believe it was if you finished in the bottom 10, and have not had a 1st overall pick in the past 3 years, you get 3 balls in the lottery. if you finished in the bottom 20 and have not had a 1st overall pick in the last 3 years, you get 2, and if you finish above 20 or have gotten a 1st overall pick in the past 3 years you get 1 ball. But im not 100% sure on that.
-You start out with all teams having 3 balls. For every time you've made the playoffs in the last 3 years you lose a ball(So Det, NSH, VAN, PHO, WSH, Pitt, PHI, NYR, NJ, CHI, BOS, LAK, SJ, Buff, TB, Mtl, Ott, & Ana,) would all have only 1(every team must have at least a ball, so even though some have made the playoffs all 3 years, they still have a chance). Edm would also get only 1 ball since they have gotten all of the #1 picks in the previous 3 years. (19 balls total)

-Mtl, Clg, Dal, StL, Fla, & Col have 2 since they've each made the playoffs once in the 3 years.(12 balls total)

--Leaving Clb, Min, NYI, Tor, Car, & Win as the only teams getting 3 balls in the lottery(18 balls total)

So there's 49 balls all together in the potential lockout lottery leaving us with 10.2% chance of getting #1 as we have 5 balls all together in the pool.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:34 AM
EspenK

That system sucks. Are we really to believe that if the season was played, the Kings or Rangers or any of the other first 18 would finish 5th or worse? Just another power grab by the power teams.

A more equitable solution in my mind would be to do three drawings - one for each group listed above. With each group weighted based on last season or the last three.

Clearly teams like the Jackets, Toronto, Montreal, the Isles & even Edmonton need the help a lot more than the top teams. Lets add MacKinnon to Crosby and Malkin. Really?

Old
08-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Macster

Hey folks, been a while. I thought I'd pop in with some quick draft thoughts.

I went to games three and four of the Canada/Russia Challenge, and I'm a Mooseheads season ticket holder.

1- In terms of the C/R challenge, Monahan was fantastic. He was one of the more noticeable players out there, very creative offensively. He's got the body to go with the skill.

2- You could see the skill that Shinkaruk possesses, he can do almost anything with the puck. He's undersized, but reminds me of Tyler Ennis in Buffalo.

3- Nate MacKinnon will be the first overall pick, and Halifax bias aside, Columbus would be changed overnight if they were able to grab him. He's a high-end playmaker with a nose for the net.

4- Halifax has two other players who should go high in next year's draft- goalie Zach Fucale and winger Jonathan Drouin. All three were huge contributors to Canada's recent win at the Ivan Hlinka. By drafting Dansk and Korpisalo in June, it's unlikely Columbus would be targetting Fucale, but Drouin may be a good mid-to-late first round option especially if the Jackets are able to draft MacKinnon earlier in the round.

5- There are three players to keep your eye on with the Quebec Remparts this season, all 2013 eligible- Anthony Duclair, Adam Erne and Nick Sorensen. There's a chance that all three could crack the first round, along with the three Mooseheads. Given the Q's recent track record at the QMJHL draft this is highly unlikely, but the six players I mentioned are all first round talents.

6- Max Domi and Curtis Lazar are two players I've been able to watch a couple of times, and they are certainly guys to keep an eye on.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Hey folks, been a while. I thought I'd pop in with some quick draft thoughts.

I went to games three and four of the Canada/Russia Challenge, and I'm a Mooseheads season ticket holder.

1- In terms of the C/R challenge, Monahan was fantastic. He was one of the more noticeable players out there, very creative offensively. He's got the body to go with the skill.

2- You could see the skill that Shinkaruk possesses, he can do almost anything with the puck. He's undersized, but reminds me of Tyler Ennis in Buffalo.

3- Nate MacKinnon will be the first overall pick, and Halifax bias aside, Columbus would be changed overnight if they were able to grab him. He's a high-end playmaker with a nose for the net.

4- Halifax has two other players who should go high in next year's draft- goalie Zach Fucale and winger Jonathan Drouin. All three were huge contributors to Canada's recent win at the Ivan Hlinka. By drafting Dansk and Korpisalo in June, it's unlikely Columbus would be targetting Fucale, but Drouin may be a good mid-to-late first round option especially if the Jackets are able to draft MacKinnon earlier in the round.

5- There are three players to keep your eye on with the Quebec Remparts this season, all 2013 eligible- Anthony Duclair, Adam Erne and Nick Sorensen. There's a chance that all three could crack the first round, along with the three Mooseheads. Given the Q's recent track record at the QMJHL draft this is highly unlikely, but the six players I mentioned are all first round talents.

6- Max Domi and Curtis Lazar are two players I've been able to watch a couple of times, and they are certainly guys to keep an eye on.
And now, a description of Viqsi's thoughts upon looking at this post:
"Huh, cool, I wonder who that iHOLY ****!"

Has it really been so long that we need the reminder w/r/t you and the Mooseheads?

Old
08-21-2012, 11:29 PM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
That system sucks. Are we really to believe that if the season was played, the Kings or Rangers or any of the other first 18 would finish 5th or worse? Just another power grab by the power teams.

A more equitable solution in my mind would be to do three drawings - one for each group listed above. With each group weighted based on last season or the last three.

Clearly teams like the Jackets, Toronto, Montreal, the Isles & even Edmonton need the help a lot more than the top teams. Lets add MacKinnon to Crosby and Malkin. Really?
I'm all for NYR or LAK winning the lockout lottery cause then it's ours and we'd most likely get another top 10 pick with our actual pick. Add in Murray and the other 2013 1st and we just did a serious influx of young talent in no time.

On a serious note, you never know who's gonna play out of their minds(StL this year) or who's gonna get decimated by injuries or just plan suck(TB) from year to year, so that's the reason for the all teams lottery. They might not even do it this way and instead have where if you've made the playoffs for the past 3 years, you get no balls in the pool and those would then go to those that haven't made it in the past 3 years. This is just how they did it for the Crosby draft, which on a "conspiracy" note I don't believe the drawing was done in front of anybody, so if that's the case then the 18 probably have no shot at all.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Craig Button's Preliminary Rankings

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407559

TSN analyst Craig Button releases his early season rankings for the 2013 NHL Draft, with Seth Jones at the top of his list. He begins by comparing him to Chris Pronger, claiming that he hasn't seen a defenseman this talented in a long time ... which I find strange, as he said the same thing about Griffin Reinhart this year, Erik Gudbranson in 2010, Victor Hedman in 2009... heck you get the point.

Quote:
"When it comes to Seth Jones, I ask myself not what he can do, but what can't he do?" explained Button. "He's as unique a defenceman as I have seen since Chris Pronger and as complete a 'package' as I have seen in quite some time.
For anyone looking for prospect info or just a decent read should check it out. It's mildly informative.

EDIT: Link to the actual list

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Old
10-24-2012, 04:15 AM
georgiabluejacket

Was daydreaming while rocking out with NHL 12(Ryan Murray on pace not only for Calder, but Norris as well) and I was contemplating what ifs, so I figured I'd get your guys views.

Say we get the #1. What sort of prospect/draft pics would be cool with trading down for? Would a WSH 1st(say #5 overall) along with Forsberg be good? How about the same for MTL(#5), but with Galy? Just killin time, cause I don't have any hockey to watch.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:49 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
Was daydreaming while rocking out with NHL 12(Ryan Murray on pace not only for Calder, but Norris as well) and I was contemplating what ifs, so I figured I'd get your guys views.

Say we get the #1. What sort of prospect/draft pics would be cool with trading down for? Would a WSH 1st(say #5 overall) along with Forsberg be good? How about the same for MTL(#5), but with Galy? Just killin time, cause I don't have any hockey to watch.
Trade down? Are you serious? You obviously need some hockey and a couple of good checks to clear your head. NATHAN MACKINNON.
(assuming nothing changes from the way things are now)

Go get some fresh air

Old
10-24-2012, 11:07 AM
alphafox

The better question is what it would take to move up to the top 5, assuming we get screwed by the lottery again. We have the trade assets after all, between picks and defensemen (who always bring a premium).

Old
10-24-2012, 11:32 AM
JacketsFanWest

So far, I'm not sure any players have really broken away from the pack so that a #1-5 pick would be much different than a #5-10 pick. MacKinnon and Jones haven't broken away into a top 2 and there's not a huge gap between them and the other top players.

It's too early to say but you've got at least 6 players who might have gone top 3 last year over Murray and Galchenyuk.

Redline Report says Finnish defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen has a higher upside than Ryan Murray and Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm, and Aleksander Barkov "have fewer question marks" than Galchenyuk.

Judging by run on puck moving defensemen high in last year's draft, Ryan Pulock could go top 5. Goalie Zach Fucale could go in the top 10. Valeri Nichushkin could go top 5 if he wasn't Russian.

So, even if the Jackets end up draft #6, they should end up getting a very good player and the depth in this draft should also be incredibly good. They have extra assets, but wasting one of the first rounders to move up likely wouldn't be worth it. Even if the LA and NYR picks are at the bottom of the 1st round, the depth of this draft class is so good that they're going to get the type of players who would typically go in the middle of the 1st round.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Redline Report says Finnish defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen has a higher upside than Ryan Murray and Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm, and Aleksander Barkov "have fewer question marks" than Galchenyuk.
How many of the Galchenyuk question marks were related to his being injured, though? And if Monahan, Lindholm, or Barkov gets injured (as nearly everyone did last year), does this push them "down" into Galchenyuk territory?

Old
10-24-2012, 01:00 PM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Trade down? Are you serious? You obviously need some hockey and a couple of good checks to clear your head. NATHAN MACKINNON.
(assuming nothing changes from the way things are now)

Go get some fresh air
So U think MacKinnon is that much better than say Monahan? Okay, I can respect that. Just not sure MacKinnon>Monahan/Forsberg myself. Not saying I wouldn't LOVE MAC, but thinking team as opposed to single all-star entity. Been there, done that, got a couple jerseys.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
Say we get the #1.
You stop there, you go to the draft board, and you make your selection. Done.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:11 PM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
So far, I'm not sure any players have really broken away from the pack so that a #1-5 pick would be much different than a #5-10 pick. MacKinnon and Jones haven't broken away into a top 2 and there's not a huge gap between them and the other top players.

It's too early to say but you've got at least 6 players who might have gone top 3 last year over Murray and Galchenyuk.

Judging by run on puck moving defensemen high in last year's draft, Ryan Pulock could go top 5. Goalie Zach Fucale could go in the top 10. Valeri Nichushkin could go top 5 if he wasn't Russian. O

So, even if the Jackets end up draft #6, they should end up getting a very good player and the depth in this draft should also be incredibly good. They have extra assets, but wasting one of the first rounders to move up likely wouldn't be worth it. Even if the LA and NYR picks are at the bottom of the 1st round, the depth of this draft class is so good that they're going to get the type of players who would typically go in the middle of the 1st round.
Interesting that he's that highly regarded when he's #19 currently in the rankings. I hadn't even heard of Nuchshkin until 2 days ago & he's #4. If only the hockey gods could smile on us, we could do some serious damage in just one draft.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:29 PM
JacketsFanWest

Ristolainen is getting quality minutes in the Finnish league and has 5 assists in 13 games as a 17 year old. I haven't seen him play, but that's going to get scouts' attention.

There are players potentially going in the top 10 playing in such different leagues. Ristolainen, Barkov and Lindholm are not just playing in mens' leagues but doing exceptionally well.

Barkov is in the top 10 in scoring in the SM-liiga and only turned 17 in September. If he was born 2 weeks later, he would be a 2014 draft pick.

Lindholm is in the top 20 in scoring in the Swedish Elite League as a 17 year old.

Usually there are the Euros who barely are putting up any points being compared to the players in juniors. But when you have these very young players who are not just playing in mens leagues but dominating..? I really think they're going to end up challenging Mackinnon.

Closed Thread