HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

An "Inside the Crease" sub-forum for Goalies

Old
10-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 500
Would be nice to have a goalie sub-forum. I love talking about goaltending and just having a nice place to chill with other goalies.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:19 AM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
On a related situation, I am in a similar conundum.

I shoot right, however I also catch, and throw left (one of the reasons I don't play baseball is because I don't have 2 left hands)

I'm thinking I'd use left glove, then hold stick in right and spend a while adjusting to a left handed shot. I've always been moderately ambidextrous when it comes to sports if I focus at it, so I should manage hopefully.
Hey not trying to be smart or anything but why can't you learn to catch with your right hand? I'm sure it's hard for young baseball players to get used to catching with their non-dominant hand but still far easier than throwing with it.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:23 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Would be nice to have a goalie sub-forum. I love talking about goaltending and just having a nice place to chill with other goalies.
yeah I'm a little confused why we can't

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
Hey not trying to be smart or anything but why can't you learn to catch with your right hand? I'm sure it's hard for young baseball players to get used to catching with their non-dominant hand but still far easier than throwing with it.
Honestly, never really thought to try it. I always just assumed it would be equally hard to switch stick or catching, and I just thought it would make more sense to switch stick, since that would then allow me to use the majority of gear that I come across.

That, or I heard that the Curtis Joseph style worked perfectly fine in most scenarios, especially considering that I'm not planning on playing anything super competitive, just some fun stuff with friends mostly.

EDIT: I also looked at this thread a bit, and it helped me decide to switch stick rather than glove http://www.goaliestore.com/board/doc...ng-shot-2.html

EDIT2: Ah, just now seeing you were asking about baseball in specific. Never really changed it on baseball since I never really cared about baseball enough to do anything about it, just kind of avoided the sport in general, was just stating that if I were to play, that would have been a conundrum at the start.

Last edited by Diamondillium: 10-24-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Dustin Peener
The real Iceman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Beginner goalies aren't going to be doing much puck handling, so why should he lessen his puck stopping ability in favour of it?

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's a lot of work for the people behind the scenes to set up a subforum if they don't know how much use it's going to get.

We've got the prefixes set up now, so please try and use them when appropriate.

If we're seeing a lot of goalie threads, we'll have good reason to have a subforum made.

Thanks!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also, I have a bad tendency not to read goalie threads so if there's any inappropriate or inflammatory posts, please report them or send me a PM.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:35 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's a lot of work for the people behind the scenes to set up a subforum if they don't know how much use it's going to get.

We've got the prefixes set up now, so please try and use them when appropriate.

If we're seeing a lot of goalie threads, we'll have good reason to have a subforum made.

Thanks!
I will respectively disagree and say that if there was a Goalie sub-forum it would be extremely popular. There are a lot of Goalies here, but currently they stick to posting Goalie related stuff to the other site. Once people knew about it, it would explode. Still a great site, and got my donation but no place for Goalies to talk is disapointing, especially a site of this caliber. I'll just go elsewhere to talk Goalie stuff.

Thanks anyways, good luck with your season Jarick and God bless.
Fresh

Old
10-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshNsoClean View Post
I will respectively disagree and say that if there was a Goalie sub-forum it would be extremely popular. There are a lot of Goalies here, but currently they stick to posting Goalie related stuff to the other site. Once people knew about it, it would explode. Still a great site, and got my donation but no place for Goalies to talk is disapointing, especially a site of this caliber. I'll just go elsewhere to talk Goalie stuff.

Thanks anyways, good luck with your season Jarick and God bless.
Fresh
We definitely hear your side, don't think we're not listening.

But the problem is this: HFBoards stands for Hockey's Future. It really is supposed to be centered around prospects, and that snowballs into the teams, and then into playing, and then in other leagues, etc. The problem is drawing these artificial lines about what to keep delving into and what to not. You spread too far and it becomes a problem, and if you stay too narrow it's no better.

We all appreciate the kind words - and it's truly the users that make this site worth visiting. If there's a reasonable amount of goalie discussion the subforum will be looked into again. I know it's probably one of those "If you build it, they will come" scenarios, but we need a little give and take on this one...

Thanks

10-24-2012, 11:18 AM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Beginner goalies aren't going to be doing much puck handling, so why should he lessen his puck stopping ability in favour of it?
Not suggesting that at all, in fact I maintain a goalie should only let his shooting side determine his catching side if he is perfectly ambidextrous. I was just questioning why the individual claims he catches and throws with the same hand in baseball.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:28 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Cowbell, I get what you're saying but the site has already decided to go beyond those barriers. The whole second page has pretty much nothing to do with hockey. That's why it's frustrating to see all of that, yet there's not a place for Goalies, on the biggest hockey site of the planet.

I've been a skater my whole life, honestly never understood Goalies. Becoming a Goalie myself it's absolutely insane how much support and camaraderie there is. It's the toughest position in all of sports. Goalies pride in their gear, playstyle, teams and love to help each other. They can talk about it all day long. Not asking for a big overhaul here. There's other sub-forums I'm sure with little action. A sub-forum for Goalies sure wouldn't be less action than others. We're talking one of the biggest positions in all of sports. Not a sub-forum for some minor league hockey team.

I mean no dis-respect. Just sort of fighting for what I believe in. I don't think I'm being un-reasonable. Either way I'll be able to talk to Goalies here or somewhere else. I just like it here and sad to have to leave, especially a hockey site. That's all.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Dustin Peener
The real Iceman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Not suggesting that at all, in fact I maintain a goalie should only let his shooting side determine his catching side if he is perfectly ambidextrous. I was just questioning why the individual claims he catches and throws with the same hand in baseball.
Sorry, didn't realise you were talking about baseball

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:10 PM
TatarTangle

I'd try to pitch in, I played until Junior A when I was 17. Hard to believe that was ten years ago. Still adding different moves and techniques into my game. I'm just about comfortable with the VH technique. For me, being a butterfly goalie and on the shorter side (5'9''), it's money because I rely on quickness and cutting down angles. It essentially eliminates the transition from having to drop down to the butterfly, all you have to do is push off.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Subnordi

sounds awesome

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote