HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All Purpose Luongo Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 07:29 AM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
One team want to make a cup run, the other is looking at the future, Different kind of untouchable.

I really believe if Toronto is patient and wait until next summer, there will be more option to acquire a goalie.
Who do you consider Toronto's core?

Me, I think of:
Phaneuf;
Kessel;
Lupul; and
Gardiner.

Three out of those four players become UFAs in the next two years, it's either time to start winning or time to throw that core away and re-build around another core likely centered around Gardiner.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I'd take Higgins and Tanev out, and sub Booth in. Our RH side for our defense is pitiful even with Tanev.
And then we could come in and say "if Van doesn't start with their 1st and add from there we will keep our elite goalie".

Old
10-24-2012, 07:44 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

Me, I think of:
Phaneuf;
Kessel;
Lupul; and
Gardiner.

Three out of those four players become UFAs in the next two years, it's either time to start winning or time to throw that core away and re-build around another core likely centered around Gardiner.
Re-signing any of them is out of the question.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:44 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
Canucks are clearly built the wrong way. Toronto model is the way to go. I daresay they might have more untouchables than Edmonton.
Considering that Toronto is being built by the guys who did the entire model for Vancouver, I'm not sure where you are going with this...

Old
10-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

Me, I think of:
Phaneuf;
Kessel;
Lupul; and
Gardiner.

So either we win now or chuck the blueprint? These guys are in their mid 20's, come on now. We also have this kid named Rielly, likely better than any of the above named minus Kessel.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Seems to be the consensus. I think it's a fair return...Would the Leafs be willing ot give up Kadri instead of BOTH Colbourne and Ashton?
No

Old
10-24-2012, 08:44 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
He doesn't seem average sized. Listed at 6 foot 200 pounds, Kind of like O'Reilly's size.

I'm not as high on him as you are, but I can see why Gillis would go after a player like this. He's been trying to supplement the right-shot RW depth for a while now because the team is weak there. Kulemin would better address that need, but he's obviously more valuable to the leafs, so Frattin seems ok as an alternative target.

Like I said, if a deal goes down between these teams, I expect Bozak and Frattin to be a part of the package. They address needs. Do you see it the same way?
Bozak and Frattin makes sense. I would throw in a D prospect and call it a deal.

Bozak+Frattin+Blacker

Old
10-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Bozak and Frattin makes sense. I would throw in a D prospect and call it a deal.

Bozak+Frattin+Blacker
No thanks. There needs to be a fair amount of upside in the package, so prospects like Kadri/Colborne/Finn should be on the table.

Bozak and Frattin most likely will be career third liners(but still decent players) and Blacker is decent but unspectacular. Swap Frattin and Blacker for Colborne/Kadri and Finn, maybe.

Out of curiousity, what's Schroeder's value to Toronto? If by adding him we could get a better package?

Old
10-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Numbers

Deal many agreed on yesterday was pretty good.

Bozak, Frattin, Colbourne, Ashton

Old
10-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post

Bozak+Frattin+Blacker

Bozak and Frattin would be the NHL pieces coming back, but not the futures. It's the futures that are contentious here, not really the NHL talent IMO. People disagree wildly on the futures.

The rumoured demand had Gardiner and a 1st as the futures. So Gillis went straight for the jugular, but I don't even think he expects to pull Gardiner out of TO. In the end, the middle ground will be between what Burke wants to add to Bozak + Frattin and Gillis's 1st + Gardiner demand.

Since that in itself represents a huge divide, I highly doubt Gillis settles at Blacker when first requesting a 1st (5th overall mind you) and Gardiner to round out the deal. It wouldn't make any sense to do that strictly from a negotiating perspective.

My guess is that Gillis moves off of Gardiner eventually, as that isn't happening. Kadri is also kept by TO as one of their best prospects. However, he insists on the 1st (top 10 protected). Then, perhaps a swap of medium level D prospects to conclude the transaction.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
No thanks. There needs to be a fair amount of upside in the package, so prospects like Kadri/Colborne/Finn should be on the table.

Bozak and Frattin most likely will be career third liners(but still decent players) and Blacker is decent but unspectacular. Swap Frattin and Blacker for Colborne/Kadri and Finn, maybe.

Out of curiousity, what's Schroeder's value to Toronto? If by adding him we could get a better package?
Schroeder doesn't do much for the Leafs. He's an undersized forward who hasn't been point producing like he should be given his skill set. I don't think he fits the Leafs style or direction at all. Burke is always looking to add size along with skill. The cupboard is stocked full of second/third liners, we'd have little use for him thus, not having much value at all for the Leafs IMO.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Schroeder doesn't do much for the Leafs. He's an undersized forward who hasn't been point producing like he should be given his skill set. I don't think he fits the Leafs style or direction at all. Burke is always looking to add size along with skill. The cupboard is stocked full of second/third liners, we'd have little use for him thus, not having much value at all for the Leafs IMO.
Although Toronto's centre depth after Colborne has no one with top-6 potential. Imo Schroeder would be an ideal fit in Toronto, as a defensively responsible playmaker, who can try out between Kessel and Lupul, talent he would never get a chance to play with in Vancouver. The greatest frustration is seeing him in the AHL generating all sorts of chances but his linemates inability to finish keeps him off the scoresheet.

I'd think he'd have similar value to a player like Colborne.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

Do you think Gillis moves off Gardiner and a 1st to Colborne and Ashton? I don't see it.

Who does Colborne replace? The 1st or Gardiner?

Also, Ashton is on the cusp of making it, and he needs NHL ice on the RW. But if we get Frattin, there's not room to give Ashton that ice. Instead, it might be better to get someone younger who doesn't need to challenge for a roster spot right away, like Percy or Blacker.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post

Agreed. Schroeder doesn't serve a purpose in TO. The same goes for Raymond.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Although Toronto's centre depth after Colborne has no one with top-6 potential. Imo Schroeder would be an ideal fit in Toronto, as a defensively responsible playmaker, who can try out between Kessel and Lupul, talent he would never get a chance to play with in Vancouver. The greatest frustration is seeing him in the AHL generating all sorts of chances but his linemates inability to finish keeps him off the scoresheet.

I'd think he'd have similar value to a player like Colborne.
I'd take my chances any day of the week with Colborne. Joe has great hands and passing ability except he's almost a foot taller than Schroeder which, as much as I hate to admit, plays a huge role at the level we're talking about. A guy like Schroeder can be found pretty easily in the draft(considering where he's at now in his development). He compares to guys we already have in terms of potential...McKegg and Spencer Abbot who was recently signed out the NCAA and is nearly identical in stature. It's a long road for guys this size and usually, it's not worth the wait tbh. He would just add depth to the system, something we already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Agreed. Schroeder doesn't serve a purpose in TO. The same goes for Raymond.
Pretty much. These guys would be lateral moves for this team.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
What about Luongo straight up for Kiprusoff?
Canucks get rid of a better goalie with a better cap hit for another goalie who will play backup to Schneider

nope

Old
10-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Not going to be traded:

Rielly, Gardiner, Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Finn, Grabo, Lupul, 1st

Could be available depending on how many:

Kadri, Frattin, MacArthur, Bozak, Ashton, Colborne, Percy

Available:

Lombardi, Connolly, Komisarek, Franson

Obviously theres other options but these are the obvious names and ones that have been mentioned in this thread.
I'd say this is accurate

Old
10-24-2012, 11:52 AM
The Saurus

Quote:

Whoever agreed to such a deal on the Leafs side is out to lunch.

Indeed, lets gut the youth who has performed quite well with the Marlies for an aging goaltender who is going to decline in as little as a year or even three.

The Canucks are not getting close to a package like that, from the Leafs or otherwise and I'm going to be laughing it up when details of the deal begin to leak.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I'm going to be laughing it up when details of the deal begin to leak.
They have, that's where this came from.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:07 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

Quote:

Burke wouldn't even trade Frattin for Luongo straight up.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:11 PM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheebeat View Post

you forgot the

Old
10-24-2012, 12:13 PM
kack zassian

Quote:
GM Job Description:

Improve your hockey team, and ice the best product possible.

Yeah, he deserves to be fired if he wouldn't do that.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:14 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Then you need to get a new GM.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:17 PM
kack zassian

Quote:
Anyone except the Sedins (I would trade both Sedins if I could get an equal forward back along with Luongo).

The team would likely be a bubble team with Reimer in net instead of Luongo while a contender with Luongo instead of any one player.

Assuming we could do futures: Lack + Jensen + Tanev + 1st + 2nd + 3rd...we get a goalie that we need to contend and don't give up anything significant off the roster.

You're more worried about the fact that you'd need to find a #3 RS d-men rather than a #1 goalie? That's ridiculous. I'd give either.
Its kind of funny because I was thinking "what would i trade for the Canucks for Luongo?"

And if people asked for the Sedins, or Kesler I would say hell no.

But if we started talkin about something like Bieksa or Burrows straight up I would listen.

Or a package of futures like Tanev, Jensen, 1st + Booth.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Agreed.

Closed Thread