HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 07:51 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Granlund 2+2 tonight for 7 points total.

The Zucker-Granlund-Coyle 20 year old line has been dominant.
Im pretty happy for Minnesota and its fans. Obviously a huge huge hockey first market, but they havent ever really had a good team. They saw Gaborik and other stars leave.

Now? They pull in two stud free agents, including the best UFA Dman since Chara like 5+ years ago, and have a great prospect pool to boot. There are still some holes on that roster, but Ill be glad to see them hopefully contending in the near future.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He's not a prospect, but so far Antoine Corbin (signed by the dogs to a 1 year deal) has played very well for the Dogs' It's only 3 games, but if he can keep at it at this pace I could see the habs, or another team offering him a contract.

Last game everyone on the leafs looked good. Bulldogs were terrible. I don't really expect much considering most of the team are rookies. On top of that, Nash, someone with experience didn't play at all last year so his game will be off.

Kadri had some nice plays and got robbed. I'm sure a Toronto paper is reporting how terrible he is and a bust and how they should have drafted Cogliano instead of him...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Great to hear BZK is tearing it up and progressing. The kid is doing what he needs to do to improve -- always a good sign.

10-21-2012, 08:24 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Last game everyone on the leafs looked good. Bulldogs were terrible. I don't really expect much considering most of the team are rookies. On top of that, Nash, someone with experience didn't play at all last year so his game will be off.

Kadri had some nice plays and got robbed. I'm sure a Toronto paper is reporting how terrible he is and a bust and how they should have drafted Cogliano instead of him...
Its only 4 games in, but Kadri, Colborne, and to a lesser extent Ashton need to step it up offensively. And yea, Kadri's had some nice plays, but at the end of the day, if he's not producing, he's not contributing. He's not exactly going to be helping to shut down the other team.

About ~15 games in is a decent sample size, so we'll see how theyre looking at that point. Gardiner is obviously playing quite well at the moment.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:03 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post

Cody Eakin - He's a good skater with high end hockey sense and some impressive goal scoring instincts. He needs to be in the NHL though. There's nothing for him to gain in the minors.
Tomas Vincour - Pretty much the exact same thing as I said about Eakin can be said about him, except for the goal scoring instincts. The Vincour-Eakin-Smith line was the only Stars line that could generate any kind of offense. Even the Brodin-Scandella pairing had trouble defending these three, but that's expected for two players (Eakin and Vincour) who are already established NHLers.
Reilly Smith - He's fast and protects the puck along the boards very well. All he needs to be NHL ready is strength. His mental game is already exactly where it needs to be, but that's not to say it can't get better. His wristshot is hard but he takes too long to release it, and he's pensive about shooting through traffic. If he can improve those things he has 30 goal top 6 potential. If not, he's still a threat to beat a goalie from the top of the faceoff circles from time to time as a utility forward.
Alex Chiasson - He's one of those "no toolbox" guys. He's huge, strong, shoots well, skates well, and can absolutely dominate guys physically, but for whatever reason he just doesn't dominate play the way I'd expect him to. When he puts it together for a shift, his effect on the play is huge, but he just doesn't seem to do it that often. He has NHL top line tools, but he learn how to best utilize his talents in the AHL first before he deserves an NHL shot. I would expect him to spend two, maybe three years in the AHL but he could be a household name before his career is over.
Jamie Oleksiak - He skates badly but he's a giant so I excuse him a bit. If he were 6'4" his skating would be considered "average." If he were 6'0" it would be abysmal. He's pulled out of position easily but lacks the agility to return to his post in time. However, his defensive stickwork is excellent. His size, strength, and reach give him some options to get around forecheckers as he's leading the rush, but he tends to pass it away as soon as he gets around someone. His slapshot is pretty hard but the vast majority of the time he just weakly wrists it on goal. Tyler Myers comparisons are very generous, Chara comparisons are foolish and downright laughable.
Patrik Nemeth - His best attribute, by far, is his athleticism. His acceleration is top notch for a 6'3" guy. No one is going to power their way through him. He was rushing the puck up ice, joining the play offensively, and generally contributing all over the ice. However, he was also responsible for a few mistakes which led directly to goals, including falling down accidentally on one play that resulted in a quick 2 on 1, and failing to get down in time time to block a shot. That's probably his biggest issue: he has trouble making defensive decisions quickly enough. If that doesn't improve, he's an AHL lifer. However, he's still adjusting to North American hockey so I have a lot of faith that his decision making will improve.
Brenden Dillon - He's big, mean, skates well, shoots to kill, and he's only 21. Stars fans had him penciled into the NHL lineup out of training camp and for good reason.
Jack Campbell - Horrible. His fundamentals are exceptional but he idolizes a goalie (Turco) with awful fundamentals and mimics his style by frequently flopping around trying to make saves look a lot harder than they really are, and all that really just throws his fundamentals out the window. The talent is impressive but he needs to be locked in a room for 6 months with his eyes taped open watching Henrik Lundqvist play. He also has a tendency to forget where the goal is behind him.
Cam Barker - Hahahaha... forget the NHL, he's too bad for the AHL. Easily the worst top 10 pick in a loooong time. Worse than Brule, Filatov, Brendl and most others that get mentioned in those "biggest bust" threads. Just hilariously bad.

Mikael Granlund - He has obvious top flight offensive skill and creativity, but he's prone to turning the puck over and getting passes picked off, which isn't unusual for a 20 year old playmaker. He deserves every bit of the hype he gets. Hopefully he spends the entire year in the AHL even if the NHL returns. Next year, he'll take the NHL by storm.
Charlie Coyle - He's very strong on his skates and on the puck. I have few complaints or mistakes to note, but he lacks flash. I know he has an excellent shot from watching him in college and in the WJC, but he didn't show it off in these two games. He's the most likely of his linemates to find a spot on an NHL roster in the immediate future, but he would benefit as well from some more AHL time.
Jason Zucker - I've always been a fan of his and that hasn't changed. He constantly buzzes around both zones. On defense, he hounds the puck carrier and uses his stick actively, on offense he's either creating havoc on the forecheck or getting open and keeping his stick on the ice. He's just a nuisance for opposing teams. He's NHL ready, but there's some untapped offensive potential there that might get brought out if he's given offensive responsibility in the AHL for a year or possibly two.
Johan Larsson - I really didn't see anything special from him. He really blended in at this level. I've seen him compared to Johan Franzen and unless he just wasn't himself these two games, I feel that anyone who makes that comparison has never seen Larsson play. Nonetheless, he's a useful depth prospect that should stick in the NHL for a few hundred games in his career as a utility forward.
Jonas Brodin - Comparing his style to Lidstrom's fits him perfectly. He seems to always make the simplest, but smartest, play with the puck, and I didn't see him get cleanly beaten on defense a single time. At 19 years old he's simply too good for the AHL.
Marco Scandella - He was just manhandling the Stars forwards all weekend. I don't see a whole lot of potential here, but at 22 he looks like a solid 5/6/7 NHL defenseman who can make a play offensively but shouldn't be relied upon to do so. He plays pretty much exactly like Brenden Dillon.
Matt Hackett - He allowed one goal on 27 shots yesterday. Texas didn't really test him. Everything about his game was sharp, from positioning, to rebound control, to reflexes. I don't know about his lateral movement but that's mainly because Texas never forced him to make a save while moving laterally... Really everything indicates he could be an NHL starter one day, though admittedly I couldn't get a very clear read on him.
Thanks for the scouting report! It somehow made my man-crush on Brodin even larger.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Its only 4 games in, but Kadri, Colborne, and to a lesser extent Ashton need to step it up offensively. And yea, Kadri's had some nice plays, but at the end of the day, if he's not producing, he's not contributing. He's not exactly going to be helping to shut down the other team.

About ~15 games in is a decent sample size, so we'll see how theyre looking at that point. Gardiner is obviously playing quite well at the moment.
Yeah, gotta give them time. I'm not saying Marlies are great and Dogs are terrible, but to start the season the Dogs will be slow. Though, it looks like I was making excuses for the Dogs. Just got out played.

Ashton is a player I'm not impressed with and wasn't last night. Though, I never really liked him as a prospect. From an outside point I would have kept Aulie over him.

By the end of November the Dogs should look more confident and be better. Hopefully Desjardins comes back soon. We'll need him as I doubt Mayer ever has a game like he did on Friday again.

If the Dogs make the playoffs, you could see 2 more rookies in Galchenyuk and Kristo join. Dogs offense isn't really scaring anyone right now.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Marcus Foligno scored 2 goals and 2 assists tonight, Hodgson with 3 assists.

Marcus Foligno, your AHL points/goals leader. Amazing progression.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:

Cody Eakin - He's a good skater with high end hockey sense and some impressive goal scoring instincts. He needs to be in the NHL though. There's nothing for him to gain in the minors.
Tomas Vincour - Pretty much the exact same thing as I said about Eakin can be said about him, except for the goal scoring instincts. The Vincour-Eakin-Smith line was the only Stars line that could generate any kind of offense. Even the Brodin-Scandella pairing had trouble defending these three, but that's expected for two players (Eakin and Vincour) who are already established NHLers.
Reilly Smith - He's fast and protects the puck along the boards very well. All he needs to be NHL ready is strength. His mental game is already exactly where it needs to be, but that's not to say it can't get better. His wristshot is hard but he takes too long to release it, and he's pensive about shooting through traffic. If he can improve those things he has 30 goal top 6 potential. If not, he's still a threat to beat a goalie from the top of the faceoff circles from time to time as a utility forward.
Alex Chiasson - He's one of those "no toolbox" guys. He's huge, strong, shoots well, skates well, and can absolutely dominate guys physically, but for whatever reason he just doesn't dominate play the way I'd expect him to. When he puts it together for a shift, his effect on the play is huge, but he just doesn't seem to do it that often. He has NHL top line tools, but he learn how to best utilize his talents in the AHL first before he deserves an NHL shot. I would expect him to spend two, maybe three years in the AHL but he could be a household name before his career is over.
Jamie Oleksiak - He skates badly but he's a giant so I excuse him a bit. If he were 6'4" his skating would be considered "average." If he were 6'0" it would be abysmal. He's pulled out of position easily but lacks the agility to return to his post in time. However, his defensive stickwork is excellent. His size, strength, and reach give him some options to get around forecheckers as he's leading the rush, but he tends to pass it away as soon as he gets around someone. His slapshot is pretty hard but the vast majority of the time he just weakly wrists it on goal. Tyler Myers comparisons are very generous, Chara comparisons are foolish and downright laughable.
Patrik Nemeth - His best attribute, by far, is his athleticism. His acceleration is top notch for a 6'3" guy. No one is going to power their way through him. He was rushing the puck up ice, joining the play offensively, and generally contributing all over the ice. However, he was also responsible for a few mistakes which led directly to goals, including falling down accidentally on one play that resulted in a quick 2 on 1, and failing to get down in time time to block a shot. That's probably his biggest issue: he has trouble making defensive decisions quickly enough. If that doesn't improve, he's an AHL lifer. However, he's still adjusting to North American hockey so I have a lot of faith that his decision making will improve.
Brenden Dillon - He's big, mean, skates well, shoots to kill, and he's only 21. Stars fans had him penciled into the NHL lineup out of training camp and for good reason.
Jack Campbell - Horrible. His fundamentals are exceptional but he idolizes a goalie (Turco) with awful fundamentals and mimics his style by frequently flopping around trying to make saves look a lot harder than they really are, and all that really just throws his fundamentals out the window. The talent is impressive but he needs to be locked in a room for 6 months with his eyes taped open watching Henrik Lundqvist play. He also has a tendency to forget where the goal is behind him.
Cam Barker - Hahahaha... forget the NHL, he's too bad for the AHL. Easily the worst top 10 pick in a loooong time. Worse than Brule, Filatov, Brendl and most others that get mentioned in those "biggest bust" threads. Just hilariously bad.

Mikael Granlund - He has obvious top flight offensive skill and creativity, but he's prone to turning the puck over and getting passes picked off, which isn't unusual for a 20 year old playmaker. He deserves every bit of the hype he gets. Hopefully he spends the entire year in the AHL even if the NHL returns. Next year, he'll take the NHL by storm.
Charlie Coyle - He's very strong on his skates and on the puck. I have few complaints or mistakes to note, but he lacks flash. I know he has an excellent shot from watching him in college and in the WJC, but he didn't show it off in these two games. He's the most likely of his linemates to find a spot on an NHL roster in the immediate future, but he would benefit as well from some more AHL time.
Jason Zucker - I've always been a fan of his and that hasn't changed. He constantly buzzes around both zones. On defense, he hounds the puck carrier and uses his stick actively, on offense he's either creating havoc on the forecheck or getting open and keeping his stick on the ice. He's just a nuisance for opposing teams. He's NHL ready, but there's some untapped offensive potential there that might get brought out if he's given offensive responsibility in the AHL for a year or possibly two.
Johan Larsson - I really didn't see anything special from him. He really blended in at this level. I've seen him compared to Johan Franzen and unless he just wasn't himself these two games, I feel that anyone who makes that comparison has never seen Larsson play. Nonetheless, he's a useful depth prospect that should stick in the NHL for a few hundred games in his career as a utility forward.
Jonas Brodin - Comparing his style to Lidstrom's fits him perfectly. He seems to always make the simplest, but smartest, play with the puck, and I didn't see him get cleanly beaten on defense a single time. At 19 years old he's simply too good for the AHL.
Marco Scandella - He was just manhandling the Stars forwards all weekend. I don't see a whole lot of potential here, but at 22 he looks like a solid 5/6/7 NHL defenseman who can make a play offensively but shouldn't be relied upon to do so. He plays pretty much exactly like Brenden Dillon.
Matt Hackett - He allowed one goal on 27 shots yesterday. Texas didn't really test him. Everything about his game was sharp, from positioning, to rebound control, to reflexes. I don't know about his lateral movement but that's mainly because Texas never forced him to make a save while moving laterally... Really everything indicates he could be an NHL starter one day, though admittedly I couldn't get a very clear read on him.
Only one I disagree on is Scandella. He will be a stalwart defensively with his wingspan/poke check. This AHL time will also help him work on his offensive abilities as far as getting his shot off on the PP, running the PP, etc. I see him as a 3/4 easily. Him and Brodin are developing chemistry, have looked awesome together, and could be a pairing in the NHL tomorrow. The AHL time, though, will build their confidence.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:38 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
love the scouting reports. glad some of you are putting aside NHL bitterness to take the time to put these together.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:06 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
love the scouting reports. glad some of you are putting aside NHL bitterness to take the time to put these together.
Yeah, it's awesome fellas, keep it coming if possible.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Mikael Granlund - Hopefully he spends the entire year in the AHL even if the NHL returns. Next year, he'll take the NHL by storm.
This is absurdly conservative.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I have been very impressed with Greg McKegg. Exceptional skater with great instincts and hockey sense. His skill is not high end, but he will definitely be an NHL player. Perhaps a 50-60 point player per year.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I have been very impressed with Greg McKegg. Exceptional skater with great instincts and hockey sense. His skill is not high end, but he will definitely be an NHL player. Perhaps a 50-60 point player per year.
That's pretty high praise for McKegg. I think he works tremendously hard out on the ice and pushed himself into a fairly full Marlies roster but he still has quite a long road ahead of him.

He's been known for his offensive instincts around the net but I'd say his offensive zone vision is a bar lower than that of Colborne's or Kadri's. Like you said he's a good skater but he'll need to get stronger to play his style of game at the NHL level.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:13 PM
That

Grand Rapids Griffins vs Toronto Marlies today. Pretty good game, Griffins won 4-3.

Griffins:

Brendan Smith - He played an absolutely terrible game. Turnover after turnover after turnover. He had really stupid pinch that resulted in a goal, and also turned the puck over to Kadri right in the slot. He did have a beauty in the shootout though.
Gustav Nyquist - He was quiet during even strength play, but on the PP he was fantastic. He scored two goals, and a shootout goal. He slips away from defenders so easily, he's such a smart player.
Mitch Callahan - He played a really quiet game, I expect him to mix it up more.
Riley Sheahan - Very surprised. He showed off some great speed and strength. His hands are great too. He created a ton of chances.
Louis-Marc Aubry - He looked great early on, but cooled off as the game went on. He played a very good two-way game.
Tomas Tatar - Best player on the ice tonight. He was buzzing every time he stepped on the ice. He had a goal and an assist. His goal was a beauty back hander. He also has some unreal vision. He's going to be a very special player.
Tomas Jurco - He had his ups and downs. He clearly adjusting the speed the of pro game. He had a shootout goal. He had some really good moments on the PP.
Landon Ferraro - He was really quiet until the third. He had one good scoring chance and played good defensively.

Marlies:

Korbinian Holzer - Very very solid. I think he made one mistake all night. He had a great goal off a hard slapper too.
Nazem Kadri - Had some really nice plays. By the second you could see he was getting frustrated, he tried do too much. He started picking up his physical play by the third. He needs to simplify his game, and the points will start coming.
Carter Ashton - He was quiet in the 1st and the 3rd, but was excellent in the 2nd. He played very physical, and showed off some speed. He drove the net hard and was forechecking with intensity. He needs to play with that level of intensity more often.
Jake Gardiner - Played his worst game this season, regardless he still was pretty good, he just so much smarter than everyone else.
Joe Colborne - The best Marlie today. He was moving his feet and had two assists. He was forechecking and tried really hard to keep himself involved in the play. He didn't shy away from physical contact at all and had some unreal passes.
Jesse Blacker - Had some good and bad moments. I'm a fan of his, but consistency is clearly an issue. He was physical and solid defensively, but took a really dumb penalty.
Greg McKegg - He had a much quieter game than yesterday. He started out very good, but slowed down. He's a very opportunistic player. He's not the best creator, but very rarely does he miss the chances he gets.
Leo Komarov - Very solid out there. Played physical, and made smart plays defensively. He's really impressed me with offensive ability this year. He picked up his first today. He's good down low and finishes every check.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:56 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Grand Rapids Griffins vs Toronto Marlies today. Pretty good game, Griffins won 4-3.

Griffins:

Brendan Smith - He played an absolutely terrible game. Turnover after turnover after turnover. He had really stupid pinch that resulted in a goal, and also turned the puck over to Kadri right in the slot. He did have a beauty in the shootout though.
Gustav Nyquist - He was quiet during even strength play, but on the PP he was fantastic. He scored two goals, and a shootout goal. He slips away from defenders so easily, he's such a smart player.
Riley Sheahan - Very surprised. He showed off some great speed and strength. His hands are great too. He created a ton of chances.
Louis-Marc Aubry - He looked great early on, but cooled off as the game went on. He played a very good two-way game.
Tomas Tatar - Best player on the ice tonight. He was buzzing every time he stepped on the ice. He had a goal and an assist. His goal was a beauty back hander. He also has some unreal vision. He's going to be a very special player.
Tomas Jurco - He had his ups and downs. He clearly adjusting the speed the of pro game. He had a shootout goal. He had some really good moments on the PP.
Landon Ferraro - He was really quiet until the third. He had one good scoring chance and played good defensively.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Smith has been really inconsistent so far, he just doesn't seem right. Its nice to see Tatar doing well, I've always thought he's been underrated by Wings fans.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:15 AM
InjuredChoker

That's notes are on line what people at DRW forum are reporting; Smith is playing like he doesn't give a crap.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Thanks for the scouting report! It somehow made my man-crush on Brodin even larger.
Brodin is showing a little bit of offense in the AHL(2 goals, 1 assist in 5 games), which wasn't necessarily expected as it's always been noted as his weak spot. Heck, he already matched his career SEL goal total of 2 goals in 108 games(including playoffs).

I wonder how much of it is just statistical anomaly or if he was just used in a far more conservative role in the SEL and the Aeros are allowing him to play far more offensively in the AHL/

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:31 AM
newfy

Quote:

Griffins:

Marlies:

Korbinian Holzer - Very very solid. I think he made one mistake all night. He had a great goal off a hard slapper too.
Nazem Kadri - Had some really nice plays. By the second you could see he was getting frustrated, he tried do too much. He started picking up his physical play by the third. He needs to simplify his game, and the points will start coming.
Carter Ashton - He was quiet in the 1st and the 3rd, but was excellent in the 2nd. He played very physical, and showed off some speed. He drove the net hard and was forechecking with intensity. He needs to play with that level of intensity more often.
Jake Gardiner - Played his worst game this season, regardless he still was pretty good, he just so much smarter than everyone else.
Joe Colborne - The best Marlie today. He was moving his feet and had two assists. He was forechecking and tried really hard to keep himself involved in the play. He didn't shy away from physical contact at all and had some unreal passes.
Jesse Blacker - Had some good and bad moments. I'm a fan of his, but consistency is clearly an issue. He was physical and solid defensively, but took a really dumb penalty.
Greg McKegg - He had a much quieter game than yesterday. He started out very good, but slowed down. He's a very opportunistic player. He's not the best creator, but very rarely does he miss the chances he gets.
Leo Komarov - Very solid out there. Played physical, and made smart plays defensively. He's really impressed me with offensive ability this year. He picked up his first today. He's good down low and finishes every check.
Agree with all of this, except maybe that Nyquist was only good on the PP. He was buzzing all game with Tatar I thought.

And Callahan and Aubry had 2 of their quietest games Ive seen. Usually Callahan is in every single scrum, I guess he did try to fight Kostka but the refs grabbed them. Hes gotta be one of the better up and coming agitator/scrapper prospects.

Aubry usually has 3 big hits a game too, just didnt seem like the physical play was there from the fourth line in this game for some reason

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:13 PM
tsujimoto74

Cody Hodgson having an amazing game tonight. Beating all kinds of defenders, stealing the puck, just creating a ton of chances. Has a goal to show for his efforts through 2 periods. Definitely looks the best he has so far this season.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Schultz, with another 2 assists so far, I'm getting more jealous every day.

3 now.

Last edited by Kesler2Kesler: 10-23-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:26 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

4/7 on the pp, could imagine it is very lethal

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:32 PM
That

From tonight's Rochester vs Hamilton game. Rochester won 3-1.

Bulldogs
Greg Pateryn: Was absolutely terrible tonight. Bad on both sides of the puck. He looked good early on in the first period, but it went all down hill.
Antoine Corbin: Another good game from him, was quiet, but solid.
Jarred Tinordi: He had his moments. His played very physically and actually looked pretty good offensively, but he chased the puck carrier (with Pateryn) around the ice and had trouble getting it out his zone.
Nathan Beaulieu: He started out pretty quiet, but looked great on the PP at the end of the first. From then on in he looked very comfortable offensively, which really shouldn't come as a surprise. Defensively was a different story. He did have some good plays, but he made some absolutely terrible turnovers. Including one where he backhanded it right to the forecheckers stick in his own zone. Sure he recovered nicely, but you can't make those.
Steve Quailer: He was in the first period, created chances. He slips away from his man so easily and is able to shoot. I like how he just constantly bangs away in the crease. His defensive effort was good also, but he was wildly inconsistent after the first between shifts.
Brendan Gallagher: Buzzing constantly. I felt that he should have passed more, but it's pretty clear that he wants to score. He's a good two-way player, but I wasn't particularly impressed with his effort in the D zone.
Michael Bournival: Like always, he never ever gave up. Not once, not on any play, not at any time. He just constantly goes. He scored his first pro goal tonight.
Joonas Nattinen: Invisible. He got pushed down to the fourth line and continued to be invisible. Rough game.
Aaron Palushaj: He was very inconsistent. He was playing hard but he can't seem to keep the puck on his stick. Got stripped of it very easily.
Patrick Holland: Another very impressive game for Holland. He had a sweet assist to Bournival and was constantly making plays. He tried to get too cute in the third though.
Gabriel Dumont: He had 2 good shifts and that's it. I'd like to see him stir the pot more.
Morgan Ellis: Easily the Bulldogs best defenceman tonight. He played his first game this season and looked like a veteran. Very calm and poised. Blocked shots and wasn't afraid to chip in offensively.
Blake Geoffrion: I'm sure not where to start. On one had he was actually trying to play with some intensity, but on the other he was a turnover machine. He would touch the puck and it would instantaneously be on a Amerks' stick.

Americans
TJ Brennan: Was awesome tonight. Outstanding. He was very calm and patient. Blocked shots and didn't make a single mistake all night. He picked up a goal from a hard slapshot. He has 4 goals and 4 assists in 6 games this year.
Alex Biega: Very solid defensively. He plays a quiet game, but rarely makes a mistake. I noticed that he really likes to shoot the puck. He probably shot 10 times, but only 2 got on net. They just all got blocked.
Brayden McNabb: I didn't really notice him to be honest. He a had a few turnovers, but he looked good on the PP. He had an assist.
Mark Pysyk: What a player this guy is. So calm and poised, he never seemed pressured at all and looked very good.
Cody Hodgson: Best player on the ice tonight. He dominated. He stripped players of the puck with ease, and was all over the Hamilton defence. He had a goal, which came from him putting on a nice move and then getting his rebound, and an assist. A great night for him. His vision is absolutely unreal too. He made passes that I though for sure would be intercepted, but they fluttered over the Bulldogs sticks and right on the tape of the intended recipient. He walked through the defence maybe 3 or 4 times with ease, and had maybe another 2 times where he had slight difficulty doing it.
Zemgus Girgensons: He seemed to have some troubles tonight. He looks to be still adjusting the speed of the game, but the skill is definitely noticeable.
Marcus Foligno: Honestly, I though he played a pretty quiet game. I expected a bit more from him. He wasn't nearly as physical as he normally is either, I think he had like 2 hits. He finished with an assist.
Luke Adam: He was fantastic. He started out quiet, but really picked up the pace. He created a ton of space by using his size. He was also willing to go the net to battle. He showed off some good speed too. He had a great night.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:22 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
From tonight's Rochester vs Hamilton game. Rochester won 3-1.

Bulldogs
Greg Pateryn: Was absolutely terrible tonight. Bad on both sides of the puck. He looked good early on in the first period, but it went all down hill.
Antoine Corbin: Another good game from him, was quiet, but solid.
Jarred Tinordi: He had his moments. His played very physically and actually looked pretty good offensively, but he chased the puck carrier (with Pateryn) around the ice and had trouble getting it out his zone.
Nathan Beaulieu: He started out pretty quiet, but looked great on the PP at the end of the first. From then on in he looked very comfortable offensively, which really shouldn't come as a surprise. Defensively was a different story. He did have some good plays, but he made some absolutely terrible turnovers. Including one where he backhanded it right to the forecheckers stick in his own zone. Sure he recovered nicely, but you can't make those.
Steve Quailer: He was in the first period, created chances. He slips away from his man so easily and is able to shoot. I like how he just constantly bangs away in the crease. His defensive effort was good also, but he was wildly inconsistent after the first between shifts.
Brendan Gallagher: Buzzing constantly. I felt that he should have passed more, but it's pretty clear that he wants to score. He's a good two-way player, but I wasn't particularly impressed with his effort in the D zone.
Michael Bournival: Like always, he never ever gave up. Not once, not on any play, not at any time. He just constantly goes. He scored his first pro goal tonight.
Joonas Nattinen: Invisible. He got pushed down to the fourth line and continued to be invisible. Rough game.
Aaron Palushaj: He was very inconsistent. He was playing hard but he can't seem to keep the puck on his stick. Got stripped of it very easily.
Patrick Holland: Another very impressive game for Holland. He had a sweet assist to Bournival and was constantly making plays. He tried to get too cute in the third though.
Gabriel Dumont: He had 2 good shifts and that's it. I'd like to see him stir the pot more.
Morgan Ellis: Easily the Bulldogs best defenceman tonight. He played his first game this season and looked like a veteran. Very calm and poised. Blocked shots and wasn't afraid to chip in offensively.
Blake Geoffrion: I'm sure not where to start. On one had he was actually trying to play with some intensity, but on the other he was a turnover machine. He would touch the puck and it would instantaneously be on a Amerks' stick.

Americans
TJ Brennan: Was awesome tonight. Outstanding. He was very calm and patient. Blocked shots and didn't make a single mistake all night. He picked up a goal from a hard slapshot. He has 4 goals and 4 assists in 6 games this year.
Alex Biega: Very solid defensively. He plays a quiet game, but rarely makes a mistake. I noticed that he really likes to shoot the puck. He probably shot 10 times, but only 2 got on net. They just all got blocked.
Brayden McNabb: I didn't really notice him to be honest. He a had a few turnovers, but he looked good on the PP. He had an assist.
Mark Pysyk: What a player this guy is. So calm and poised, he never seemed pressured at all and looked very good.
Cody Hodgson: Best player on the ice tonight. He dominated. He stripped players of the puck with ease, and was all over the Hamilton defence. He had a goal, which came from him putting on a nice move and then getting his rebound, and an assist. A great night for him. His vision is absolutely unreal too. He made passes that I though for sure would be intercepted, but they fluttered over the Bulldogs sticks and right on the tape of the intended recipient. He walked through the defence maybe 3 or 4 times with ease, and had maybe another 2 times where he had slight difficulty doing it.
Zemgus Girgensons: He seemed to have some troubles tonight. He looks to be still adjusting the speed of the game, but the skill is definitely noticeable.
Marcus Foligno: Honestly, I though he played a pretty quiet game. I expected a bit more from him. He wasn't nearly as physical as he normally is either, I think he had like 2 hits. He finished with an assist.
Luke Adam: He was fantastic. He started out quiet, but really picked up the pace. He created a ton of space by using his size. He was also willing to go the net to battle. He showed off some good speed too. He had a great night.
Wow man...Great overview. I totally agree Cody looked absolutely incredible tonight. He was hustling all over the ice, his speed looked much faster tonight and his vision was incredible. Also did great job along the boards. I thought Foligno looked great, it was not his best game but he had a few amazing hits and great play along the boards, and finished with an assist. All in all was a pleasure to watch a meaningful hockey game in Buffalo. The attendance was 11,000 with the 300 level having no attendees.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 700
2011-12 AHL All-Rookie Team:
Conacher - 80 points in 75 games
Johnson - 68 points in 75 games
Nyquist - 58 points in 56 games
Donovan - 45 points in 72 games
Fairchild - 34 points in 68 games, +26 (tied for fourth best +/- in the AHL)
Pasquale - 23 wins in 38 games, 4 SO

So which rookies are off to a good statistical start this season?

Player GP G A Pts
Mikael Granlund 5 2 5 7
Sven Bärtschi 4 3 3 6
Kyle Jean 4 3 3 6
Andrew Agozzino 6 3 2 5
Jason Zucker 4 2 3 5
Mike Sgarbossa 6 1 4 5
Tyler Toffoli 4 2 2 4
Ryan Spooner 4 1 3 4
Chris Wagner 4 1 3 4
Ivan Telegin 5 1 3 4

Player GP G A Pts
Justin Schultz 5 4 5 9
Mattias Ekholm 4 2 2 4
Jonas Brodin 5 2 1 3
Martin Marincin 5 2 1 3
Karl Stollery 4 1 2 3
Mark Pysyk 6 1 2 3

Player GP W GAA SO
Calvin Pickard 4 2 1.77 2
Niklas Svedberg 2 2 2.00 0
Frederik Andersen 2 2 2.51 0

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:58 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Why is Mikael Granlund a rookie but Sami Vatanen isn't? They both have been pro's for years.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote