HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
10-20-2012, 03:56 PM
nullterm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Okay, this is so weird to me.... can anyone explain why the guy who scores the first goal is wearing a jersey and helmet that looks different from his own team, and actually kind of makes him look like a member of the other team?
Camouflage.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:07 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

i miss shremp

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Does anybody know if Omark has the strength back in his legs to protect the puck like he used to
I haven't seen much of his games in Switzerland, but he did speak about this to a Swedish paper the other day:
Quote:
The doctor [in OKC] told me that my leg would be back to full strength this November, a year after [the injury]. And I could tell. At first, I thought I was healthier than I really was. I can tell now that I wasn't a hundred percent back then.

Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Well this the possibility of expansion on the end of the lockout, whenever that is, someone might take a flyer on Linus, but beyond that I would say he's going to be a Spengler Cup regular.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Thorulf

Another 3 points for Linus tonight!
No, this is not a re-post from yesterday...

Now Linus has been in the score sheet for 12 straight games.
The topic should be changed from "Omark signs with Swiss team" to "Omark rippin' it up overseas"...

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:59 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post

The topic should be changed from "Omark signs with Swiss team" to "Omark rippin' it up overseas"...
but he doesn't know how to be a 2 way player

maybe he can take some tips from horcoff, be a -25 player-- get 5.5 mill a year.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:05 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Krypton View Post
I haven't seen much of his games in Switzerland, but he did speak about this to a Swedish paper the other day:
This doesn't surprise me. Major injuries always take time to heal and then get the muscle and control back. This is why I am glad Hall is taking the extra time.

One of the few good things about this lockout is that it gives Omark a shot at regaining some attention. He's always done well in Europe and he's older now and more experienced. So long as he commits himself to improving his skating(specifically his first step) and working on his defensive awareness, I think he can carve a long NHL career out for himself.

Of course I also said the same thing about Schremp many times, so what do I know?

Edit: I updated the title

side note, Zetterberg has 5G 2A and 15 shots in 2GP? Jesus.

Last edited by s7ark: 10-20-2012 at 05:12 PM.
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Bolded for silliness. As if any GM/coach in the NHL who'd hire Omark would be impressed by him on the PK. He's an offensive player, pure and simple. He's got to prove that he's an elite offensive player to get another shot at the big show. Period. He's finished if he's not putting up big numbers in lesser leagues.

Looks like he's doing just that.
Missed this post. How is it silly to want a player to work on his glaring weakness? Omark will NOT be a top 6 player on the Oilers. However, if he can become half decent defensively, he could slot in on the 3rd line with say Pitlick and Hartikainen and give us a 3rd scoring line that can play with an edge and then Linus can step into the top 6 when someone gets hurt. As is, he's a middle 6 offensive player with no defense. Forgive me for thinking how he could improve and help our team, not how can he help a different team

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:52 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
This doesn't surprise me. Major injuries always take time to heal and then get the muscle and control back. This is why I am glad Hall is taking the extra time.

One of the few good things about this lockout is that it gives Omark a shot at regaining some attention. He's always done well in Europe and he's older now and more experienced. So long as he commits himself to improving his skating(specifically his first step) and working on his defensive awareness, I think he can carve a long NHL career out for himself.

Of course I also said the same thing about Schremp many times, so what do I know?

Edit: I updated the title

side note, Zetterberg has 5G 2A and 15 shots in 2GP? Jesus.
Nice to see omark doing well he doesnt really have much of a future with edm but i can see him playing with some team eventually,
Zetterberg has 7 points in 2 games wow do they play without goalies in the swiss league

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:19 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Nice to see omark doing well he doesnt really have much of a future with edm but i can see him playing with some team eventually,
Zetterberg has 7 points in 2 games wow do they play without goalies in the swiss league
Particular these 2 last games they won against the second worst team,and by far the worst team. Some players make 5 points games against the bottom teams.

I think the leauge is better then the finnish at the moment with a lot of Nhl help.
Brooks Laich had a rocket start with 6 p after 2 games i think, now he has slow down a bit 5+7 12 points in 9 games.Joe Thornton has 12 Gp 3 + 9 12 points.

I think Omark Zetterberg Brunner is the best line in the whole leuage, and omark/brunner had chemistry before Z arrived, made it easy for Z to jump in, and he is one of the best C in the Nhl and has been for a while.

Could see Omark get a shot with the wings, if it hadnt been for Renney who is 2 coach there.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 06:08 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Could see Omark get a shot with the wings, if it hadnt been for Renney who is 2 coach there.
hahaha ... I forgot about Renney's new home. Poor Omark ...

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 06:15 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Missed this post. How is it silly to want a player to work on his glaring weakness? Omark will NOT be a top 6 player on the Oilers. However, if he can become half decent defensively, he could slot in on the 3rd line with say Pitlick and Hartikainen and give us a 3rd scoring line that can play with an edge and then Linus can step into the top 6 when someone gets hurt. As is, he's a middle 6 offensive player with no defense. Forgive me for thinking how he could improve and help our team, not how can he help a different team
Even if I wished it were otherwise, I think it's perfectly clear that Omark and the Oilers are through with each other. As such, his only value to this club is in whatever trading away his rights can get us. He maximizes that value by showing his potential as an elite playmaker/scorer, not by trying to develop the skills of a penalty killer/third line plug.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Rebirth

However he has +7 atm. Ok for a player like Omark.

Rebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:56 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Even if I wished it were otherwise, I think it's perfectly clear that Omark and the Oilers are through with each other. As such, his only value to this club is in whatever trading away his rights can get us. He maximizes that value by showing his potential as an elite playmaker/scorer, not by trying to develop the skills of a penalty killer/third line plug.
I don't think it's personal. If we suddenly had an opening, I'm sure he'd get a shot.

There's just no room on the roster with the set of wingers we already have. Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, Hartikainen, Paajarvi(?) are already ahead for top two/three lines. And Omark won't succeed as a 3rd/4th liner on a team that needs beef, not dangles.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Everyone got the Omark - Renney relationship all tangled up. Infact Renney knew he was getting chopped therefor he benched his favourite player Omark. Detroit made a strategic signing in Renney who made sure Omark´s value was really low. Watch how the wings will sweep in and get Omark for a 6th rounder, Renney praising him in the local press and Omark having huge succes for the wings..

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:06 PM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
Everyone got the Omark - Renney relationship all tangled up. Infact Renney knew he was getting chopped therefor he benched his favourite player Omark. Detroit made a strategic signing in Renney who made sure Omark´s value was really low. Watch how the wings will sweep in and get Omark for a 6th rounder, Renney praising him in the local press and Omark having huge succes for the wings..
Renney gave omark 5 games before he sent him down, then he called him up late in the season and he played him in the 4th line(about 8 min a game) before he sat him in the pressbox. The last move makes absolutely no sence, other then that Renney isnt particulary found of him. The team needed at least showcasing him for raise his tradevalue.

I saw that some detroit fans is willing to give him a shot, because hes a cheap option and shows chemistry with Brunner and now with Zetterberg. The problem is if omark is willing to join a team where Renney has some influence, i think he want to see a new coach who believes in him and judge him with new eyes, with that i mean more then 5 games and in a offensive line.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Thorulf

1 assist for Omark,in Zugs 3-2 loss yesterday.
The streak however is still intact; 13 games in a row with at least 1 point.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

I would hope so in that league. Anything less would be a little worrisome.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
1 assist for Omark,in Zugs 3-2 loss yesterday.
The streak however is still intact; 13 games in a row with at least 1 point.
This is how Omark gets his points:

http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/4...eishockey/sda/

Easy assists to get. I wouldn't get too high on him about those easy assists. Zetterberg scores and Brunner scores, and Omark is the guy who just "gives" the puck to them. He is not anything a like phenomenal playmaker there.

Omark was 0+0 and -3, until Damien Brunner did his comeback...

Imo, he is more of a product of his better linemates, not a carrying individual.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
This is how Omark gets his points:

http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/4...eishockey/sda/

Easy assists to get. I wouldn't get too high on him about those easy assists. Zetterberg scores and Brunner scores, and Omark is the guy who just "gives" the puck to them. He is not anything a like phenomenal playmaker there.

Omark was 0+0 and -3, until Damien Brunner did his comeback...

Imo, he is more of a product of his better linemates, not a carrying individual.
Shhh, you're ruining the idea of him "lighting it up"

Old
10-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Thorulf

Oh! Nice to see Jimmi Jenkins and Oilerdiehard in here. Bring in Replacement here, and the Axis of Omark-haters is complete...

Funny thing is, in your agenda it's always Omarks fault. But even now, when Linus obviously is doing good you find some way explain his succes, and make it negative.
Im not saying he is carrying the team, but he is one of the main contributers.
Admiting that would at least make your case at bit less patetic...

Old
10-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Oh! Nice to see Jimmi Jenkins and Oilerdiehard in here. Bring in Replacement here, and the Axis of Omark-haters is complete...
I don't hate Omark, I've grown very tired of the martyr/legend that this Marginal player is being turned into by those that believe beyond any kind of logic.

Quote:
Funny thing is, in your agenda it's always Omarks fault. But even now, when Linus obviously is doing good you find some way explain his succes, and make it negative.
I don't actually, I just want the real facts, is he doing it on his own or riding coat tails, that's not insignificant.

Quote:
Im not saying he is carrying the team, but he is one of the main contributers.
Admiting that would at least make your case at bit less patetic...
You're absolutely right he seems to be contributing to the team, he's putting up numbers, but to throw the numbers out without any manner of context to why they are being earned or to what the represent, hurts the argument for the player, it doesn't help.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I don't hate Omark, I've grown very tired of the martyr/legend that this Marginal player is being turned into by those that believe beyond any kind of logic.

I don't actually, I just want the real facts, is he doing it on his own or riding coat tails, that's not insignificant.

You're absolutely right he seems to be contributing to the team, he's putting up numbers, but to throw the numbers out without any manner of context to why they are being earned or to what the represent, hurts the argument for the player, it doesn't help.
He was producing before Zetterberg got there, and now he's proving to be at least a capable complementary player in that league. If an NHL team needs to round out their top-6 or wants some insurance for their top-6 maybe they consider Omark. If he's not producing that doesn't happen. It helps that he's showing chemistry with a bonafide NHLer too. If this boosts his value and the Oilers get something decent for him, that's all I care about.

I do agree though that it helps if he's creating on his own. Having a guy that isn't that noticeable but still gets his points still has value though.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Stoneman89

To put in perspective, that legendary renowned scoring stud, Glen Metropolit, leads the Swiss league in scoring.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
To put in perspective, that legendary renowned scoring stud, Glen Metropolit, leads the Swiss league in scoring.
+1

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote