HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Markham Arena II

Old
10-09-2012, 01:50 PM
JMROWE

vCash: 500
Hamilton is not close to Buffalo & nethier is Toronto to close Hamilton in fact they are just about the right distance from Hamilton that it will not impact them at all . Because all this crap about territory rights to the Hamilton market where manufactured by Harold Ballard & Seymore Knox because one Ballard wanted the city to flip the bill for a new stadium for the tiger cats in exchange to waiveing his NHL. territory rights to Hamilton & the city would not do it so along with Seymore Knox who just wanted to keep Hamilton open just in case things did not work in Buffalo so he would have a cheap move blackballed Hamilton to this very day . Hopefully one of theses days Hamilton will get the NHL. team that it has been fighting for the past 30 years & I sse that day comming up within the next 5 years .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
I'm not a sabres fan but I go to sabres games because I like going to NHL games without having to get a second mortgage.

I live in burlington so it takes me an hour to get to buffalo,after I get gas and cheap beer to take home,it's well worth the trip.
My cousins live there and do the same thing. They frequently go to both Leaf games and Sabre games depending on who's playing.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:00 AM
htpwn

Markham's power play: The NHL question
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...e-nhl-question

Markham's power play: Does an arena with no pro sports team make sense?
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...eam-make-sense

Markham taxpayers should be heard in public-private arena deal

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edito...ate-arena-deal

Roustan better hope these articles are not the sign of a coming trend. The Star is notorious for being very persistent in pushing a story and viewpoint. They definitely do not have positive view of the arena deal or Roustan himself.

On the plus side, if there is a wink-wink-nudge-nudge agreement between the NHL and Markham, the Star is the best bet to uncovering it.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:36 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Markham councillors have deferred a site-plan report for an NHL-sized arena over concerns that they need more time to understand the impact of the $325 million project.

If Markham City Council had supported the report — which city staff recommended they endorse — it would have allowed the project’s private partner to begin planning the transportation, parking and road infrastructure around the 20,000-seat arena planned for the city’s downtown. Final site approval would still be contingent on several conditions, including council approval of the financial framework for the project.

Instead, council sent the report to the development committee to consider at its Nov. 6 meeting.

“If we are going to engage the public, we have to do it in the right way, “said Ward 4 Councillor Carolina Moretti.

A public meeting on Wednesday evening will give residents details on the infrastructure around the arena.
Quote:
Scarpitti said the Memorandum of Understanding will be finalized and released in coming months and will be subject to a third party review.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/city...zed-arena-plan

Old
10-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I swear these councillors all read from the same hand book.. Don't make a decision that could be good for the city, do a referendum and make the decision on how you'll most likely get reelected..
Why we even need these guys is beyond me, just have everything go to vote.

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:25 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Markham's power play: The NHL question
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...e-nhl-question

Markham's power play: Does an arena with no pro sports team make sense?
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...eam-make-sense

Markham taxpayers should be heard in public-private arena deal

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edito...ate-arena-deal

Roustan better hope these articles are not the sign of a coming trend. The Star is notorious for being very persistent in pushing a story and viewpoint. They definitely do not have positive view of the arena deal or Roustan himself.

On the plus side, if there is a wink-wink-nudge-nudge agreement between the NHL and Markham, the Star is the best bet to uncovering it.
If there's a wink wink nudge nudge.. Someone should tell council before they vote this down.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
I swear these councillors all read from the same hand book.. Don't make a decision that could be good for the city, do a referendum and make the decision on how you'll most likely get reelected..
Why we even need these guys is beyond me, just have everything go to vote.
Unfortunately, direct democracy is not an option in modern society, so we're stuck with these guys.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:13 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Despite an oft-repeated pledge from one of the businessmen behind the project, an NHL-ready arena being proposed in the Toronto suburb of Markham would be a “long shot” to win the right to host the 2015 world junior hockey championship, according to the head of the sport’s governing body in Canada.

Bob Nicholson, president and chief executive of Hockey Canada, said there would not be enough time between when the building would be complete and operational — a date set, tentatively, in late 2014 — and when the tournament would begin. With the complexities of what would be a massive event, a brand new building would not be a suitable host.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...hockey-canada/

Roustan now says he'll turn his attention to the 2017 World Juniors, also scheduled to be held in Canada.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Markham’s NHL-size arena project losing support

Quote:
Heath, a 15-year council veteran, follows councillors Jim Jones and Joe Li, the city’s biggest opponents of public funding for the project because of the possible risk to taxpayers. The two councillors, who are members of York Regional Council with Heath, have also criticized a lack of transparency in the approval process that has infuriated some taxpayers.

It now appears a majority of the 13-member council opposes the 20,000-seat arena in the city’s new downtown, in the Highway 407-Kennedy Rd. area, without significant change in the funding formula. That is in stark contrast to last April when council voted 11-2 for the financial framework.

Since then, opposition has slowly increased. More than 200 residents attended a public meeting recently where every speaker criticized the city’s financial involvement.

“Things have changed as people have become more informed,” said Councillor Don Hamilton, who also objects to the current plan. “There now appears to be a majority (of council) against it and there could be more. Some other councillors are still on the fence.”
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...losing-support

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Bryan574
RON PAUL 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
But but I thought Rouston had a wink wink nudge nudge agreement for a NHL team in Markham? I'm not listening to this Bill Watters and Bobcat are my insiders as they never fabricate a story to fuel a second team in Toronto scenario .

Last edited by Bryan574: 11-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Bryan574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... this whole dealeo really is turning into a bad joke & potential Nightmare on Kennedy Road for the City of Markham. Things just arent adding up here. Doesnt smell right at all.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:40 PM
htpwn

Quote:
And the deal starts to unravel...

Kind of hope it does and an arena is built elsewhere. Like the Councillors, the more and more I think about it, the more and more I'd like them to make a go of it somewhere else. Man up, purchase some land in Downsview, Vaughan City Centre, Scarborough City Centre, or Mississauga City Centre, and build it there. All 4 have ample land available, direct access rapid transit, and are close to major highways. All four are better locations than this one. Or just pay to renovate an existing venue like Copps and get a statue erected in your honour by the City of Hamilton.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:

if not feeling bad over this is wrong.. i dont ever wanna be right

lets be honest.. it woulda just been a fancier white elephant than Copps

Old
11-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Hamilton Tigers

Markham’s NHL dreams take a hit, courtesy of deputy mayor

Quote:
Jack Heath, deputy mayor of Markham, Ont., has withdrawn his long-standing support of plans to build an NHL-ready arena in part because of a noticeable wrinkle the private developers have not been able to iron out: “They were not able to get an NHL team — and this really was about the NHL.”

Five of the city’s 13 council members have confirmed they are opposed to the proposal, and one of those, Don Hamilton, has suggested there are at least two more dissenters in chambers, which would form a majority. Hamilton also pointed to the uncertainty over the NHL’s future involvement with the arena as one reason for his skepticism.

“The way it goes is, [NHL commissioner Gary] Bettman says, ‘You build a building, I might give you the team,’ ” Hamilton said. “And that’s no good. That’s not a way you can do it.”
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...-deputy-mayor/

Old
11-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Hamilton Tigers

Markham condo buyers sue developer over last-minute charges

Quote:
A group of Markham condo buyers has filed a class-action lawsuit against a developer for allegedly piling on thousands of dollars in what they call unfair and last-minute charges.

A statement of claim was filed against The Remington Group — the key financial backer and developer named in Markham’s ambitious NHL-size arena plan — and its alleged subsidiary companies on behalf of condo buyers in Remington’s 95-hectare mixed-used development in downtown Markham.

According to the claim, which seeks more than $5 million in damages, the buyers were hit with about $3,000 each in “increased development charges” as closing day approached, a last-minute demand that saw many pay undue fees.
Quote:
The class-action suit has come to light over the past few months as news emerged of Remington’s involvement in Markham’s proposed arena deal. At a recent public meeting, residents brought up the lawsuit and spoke about their experience of living in one of Remington’s first developments in the city’s highly-touted downtown.

According to Sa’d, the only plaintiff named in the class-action suit, he and another buyer began to investigate the adjusted charges on their condo agreements and, after discovering “red flags,” decided to pursue legal action.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...minute-charges

Old
11-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Confucius

Yep Yep Yep going nowhere fast. Oh well maybe someday the 133 inch TV's will come down in price. At 20,000 I may have to wait another couple of years but a life size image in the rec room filled with friends could be better than being at a game anyway.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Melrose Munch

We're lucky in Hamilton. Although markham's mayor is being unfair.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

Kind of hope it does and an arena is built elsewhere. Like the Councillors, the more and more I think about it, the more and more I'd like them to make a go of it somewhere else. Man up, purchase some land in Downsview, Vaughan City Centre, Scarborough City Centre, or Mississauga City Centre, and build it there. All 4 have ample land available, direct access rapid transit, and are close to major highways. All four are better locations than this one. Or just pay to renovate an existing venue like Copps and get a statue erected in your honour by the City of Hamilton.
This should be the only Toronto option. No more suburban nightmares

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Like the Councillors, the more and more I think about it, the more and more I'd like them to make a go of it somewhere else.
... I completely agree. This is getting weirded out, going off the rails, serious flaws in the business plan, financing; serious questions for the developers, the Mayor. Its too bad really, because I would like to see a new arena & team established in the eastern sector of the GTA (along with Hamilton). Or I suppose alternatively if no matter what, no how no way Hamilton can ever realize its dream, and were talking a single entry & addition, Downsview or Mississauga would be my 1st & 2nd choices.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:45 AM
aqib

Quote:

Vaughan is fine with me. I'm in Richmond Hill so its making a left turn instead of a right turn

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:02 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
This should be the only Toronto option. No more suburban nightmares
Disagree. The GTA has a decidedly northern sprawl. The York Region has over a million people and is constantly growing. Just because there aren't high rises doesn't mean its farm country.

I could see it playing out like this

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...nsplanted-nets

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Wait a minute, does this mean this has suddenly gone off the rails? Has Markham suddenly avoided becoming Glendale North?

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Orrthebest

This is bad news the GTA needs a second NHL team and it is quite clear the NHL believes putting it in Hamilton would be too damaging to Buffalo.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 08:00 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
This is bad news the GTA needs a second NHL team and it is quite clear the NHL believes putting it in Hamilton would be too damaging to Buffalo.
the GTA does not "need"a second team.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Orrthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
the GTA does not "need"a second team.
I disagree. You may want to play a game of semantics but the reality is a second team is needed in the GTA. Both the NHL and the GTA will benefit greatly by putting a second team there.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote