HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk to play in Russia during lock-out

Old
10-23-2012, 11:38 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
If he would annul his NHL contract, he would surely get even more money in Russia on a new contract there.
mos def.

Last edited by onefatsurfer: 10-23-2012 at 11:56 AM.
onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:25 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
If he would annul his NHL contract, he would surely get even more money in Russia on a new contract there.
provided the owners can pay him $90million over 13 years without going broke after 5

Good article of how the math just won't work out: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...-bad-business/

KHL keeps on going the way it is it'll implode

Last edited by GM17*: 10-23-2012 at 12:31 PM.
GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:35 PM
VaxjoDevil

SKA is owned by Gazprom, which made a net of 44 billion USD last year. It's just a toy for them, they don't need and they probably don't even seek a business model. This is peanuts for them. They won't work for real on a business that would bring an income of nothing compared to what they do for real. Only worry is their board thinks it's not fun to be an owner of a hockey team anymore.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Because of the transfer agreement, he can't unilaterally annul his contract without being banned from IIHF member leagues. Unless the Devils willingly released his contract, he couldn't play in the KHL while the NHL is in session.

That's what I understand of the IIHF rules, anyway, I could be wrong.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:08 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Because of the transfer agreement, he can't unilaterally annul his contract without being banned from IIHF member leagues. Unless the Devils willingly released his contract, he couldn't play in the KHL while the NHL is in session.

That's what I understand of the IIHF rules, anyway, I could be wrong.
Correct + you can only exceed the KHL cap on a player who a) is just leaving the NHL and b) remains ELIGIBLE for the national Russian team

Granted I let that slide because of the criminal levels of corruption

Old
10-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

He can stay in Russia and do the Devils a favor, contract wise. Just look at A-Rod.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
VaxjoDevil

I can't imagine one can just walk away from a contract, but the logic is that if the owners cut on existing contracts, then the players could walk away. Have no idea if that is possible, but it doesn't sound unfair. It's just talk anyway, of course they'll come back.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
He can stay in Russia and do the Devils a favor, contract wise. Just look at A-Rod.
Kovy actually played well these playoffs while injured. A-Rod is just a choker.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to say that. Without Kovy when the NHL comes back we're a lottery team. No arguing that. He's the only guy who is capable of scoring 40 goals on our team right now as is, and the only guy pretty much guaranteed to score over 30 goals, actually only guy guaranteed to score over 25 goals if healthy, and playing every game of a full season.

Most teams or at least the competitive ones have a contract even more a year cap hit wise than Kovy. He's no Gomez, and at least we don't have him for a million more a year for 13 years like Minnesota does for Parise, and Suter.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Cowbell232

Much ado about nothing...

Can't blame either side for their posturing, it's just part of negotiation...

Old
10-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Nonsense. Kovy is in his prime, and he is a major part of what makes the Devils a contender. If he stays in Russia it saves the Devils $11 M this year, but it lowers the quality of the team significantly.

Perhaps once he's in his late 30s and his game starts to break down, the Devils will explore the possibility of loaning him to Russia or buying his contract out, but surely not now or any time soon.

Quote:
I can't imagine one can just walk away from a contract, but the logic is that if the owners cut on existing contracts, then the players could walk away. Have no idea if that is possible, but it doesn't sound unfair. It's just talk anyway, of course they'll come back.
If the NHLPA accepts a rollback as part of the agreement (I don't think they will, but let's speak hypothetically), the players who are threatening to stay in Russia will probably come back. All things considered, their salary in the NHL is a lot more secure and guaranteed than in the KHL, even with taxes or escrow or whatever else. In Russia, owners have been known to play a little fast and loose with the contracts.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

Quote:
I laughed when I read this. I really did, I mean not like you used evidence to prove this post but that's because it's wrong.

Hell Zeon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:59 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

What Kovy said really doesn't bother me. Both sides have good and bad points. I'd have no ill will towards him if he does stay though. Nor would I have ill will towards the owners for not paying the full contract. I've always been on the side of the owners, but nobody would be happy about getting a salary reduction. Although I hope he would come back over here for obvious reasons.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:36 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
I laughed when I read this. I really did, I mean not like you used evidence to prove this post but that's because it's wrong.
*quick jerk*

who cares

Old
10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

Someone not wanting their best player on their team with one of the beat contracts in the league off the team. I just can't emphasize how wrong that is. I usually ignore the constant extemely wrong opinions that begin with no basis but that one wasn't getting by.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I have to agree I didn't get that comment at all. And you know if Kovy left, we'd probably sign either a bunch of wash ups or nobodies, or overpay Elias, and Zubrus, and not replace Kovy really. Zajac, and Clarkson probably wouldn't even wanna stay for the years of less than mediocrity that will follow. You know just by what went down this Summer how we didn't sign anyone decent to try, and replace Parise's production. Now whether this was because Lou wanted to be cheap, or because the organization HAS to be cheap because of the financial problems who knows? We are simply a lottery team without Kovy. That's not an exaggeration either.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:31 PM
engy

vCash: 50
Should someone remove "during lock-out" in the thread title?

engy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:49 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I have to agree I didn't get that comment at all. And you know if Kovy left, we'd probably sign either a bunch of wash ups or nobodies, or overpay Elias, and Zubrus, and not replace Kovy really. Zajac, and Clarkson probably wouldn't even wanna stay for the years of less than mediocrity that will follow. You know just by what went down this Summer how we didn't sign anyone decent to try, and replace Parise's production. Now whether this was because Lou wanted to be cheap, or because the organization HAS to be cheap because of the financial problems who knows? We are simply a lottery team without Kovy. That's not an exaggeration either.
I really don't think Lou would ever let that happen.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCrushingHit View Post
I really don't think Lou would ever let that happen.
Well not purposely anyway

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Best hockey experience ever. 10000 strong chanting as one man, cheering as one man and booing as one man even louder. NHL, or even most of the KHL teams have to come a long way. That 3rd CSKA goal, jesus christ. I`ve never felt so ********, maybe except for when Canadians tripped Lasak behind the net, scored an EN and knocked us out of the WCH in 2005 I think? Un****ingbelievable. But anyway, I`m sure those ********ers from ESPN and Russian channels put the volume down so it wasn`t nearly as loud on TV, but holy crap, that was some atmosphere. Some pushing and shoving between fans in the crowd, incredible saves from Janus, just like on WJC in 2009 and Radulov never heard more boos and curse words ever in his life (kept whining, agitating etc., but I gotta say he respectfully shook everyone`s hand, spontaneously congratulated the opponent`s best player and clapped the fans, that`s a big plus for him) LOL.

Watching Datsyuk live is like watching Demi Moore strip. Couldn`t take my eyes off him. Oh and Zharky, love ya but when you don`t produce with Datsyuk and Grabovsky, "you suck donkey balls" is an understatement.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
It's not totally wrong, Kovalchuk's contract is going to look ridiculous in 4 years IMO.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

in 4 years it's going to look even better than it does now, IMO. in 8 years it will start to get annoying, but hopefully the cap will have risen enough by then that we won't care

to be fair, though, the contract looked "ridiculous" from day one.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
It's not totally wrong, Kovalchuk's contract is going to look ridiculous in 4 years IMO.
No it isn't. His contract will never look ridiculous when he's the face of the franchise and leading the Devils to success

Old
10-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
We're definitely not a lottery team if Kovalchuk doesn't come back. Kovalchuk was worth about 23 goals over replacement last year, which was worth about 5 wins (10pts). The best player in a given season is rarely ever worth more than 7 wins.

We'd miss the playoffs without Kovalchuk, but to become a lottery team we'd probably have to lose Kovalchuk AND someone like Elias, while replacing them with minor league call ups.

People need to remember that a glorified AHL team would still get 50 points in an NHL season. So one player is not going to swing you from a top 10 team to a bottom five team.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
We're definitely not a lottery team if Kovalchuk doesn't come back. Kovalchuk was worth about 23 goals over replacement last year, which was worth about 5 wins (10pts). The best player in a given season is rarely ever worth more than 7 wins.

We'd miss the playoffs without Kovalchuk, but to become a lottery team we'd probably have to lose Kovalchuk AND someone like Elias, while replacing them with minor league call ups.

People need to remember that a glorified AHL team would still get 50 points in an NHL season. So one player is not going to swing you from a top 10 team to a bottom five team.
Yeah but what about losing Kovy, AND Parise? That's 68 goals right there out the window from last year. Not to mention more than half those goals the other probably had an assist on. We only scored 216 goals last year too. Our D also can't score for **** except Bryce in the playoffs, and Volch when it goes off someones helmet!

We had 2 less goals from D men in 2010/2011 in a season where the team scored 45 less goals. YUCK. Kinda unrelated, but we need more than 16 goals from defensemen. I'm pretty sure in 2010/2011 we were lowest in the league of goals scored by defensemen, as we were also the lowest scoring team period. I wouldn't be surprised if our D men were the lowest scoring last year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Yeah, and Parise's, Suter's are gonna look better? Lecavalier's right now is looking any better? Kovy's cap hit is DAMN GOOD. However the length in years is not. Minnesota however has just made it not look so bad.

Last edited by Bleedred: 10-24-2012 at 12:31 PM.