HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 season?

Old
10-20-2012, 09:23 AM
dannyj10

vCash: 500
2013-2014 season?

What do you think Ray does with the 9+ mil he has this yr? I'm hoping he can pull off a sign and trade with the Ducks for Perry. Give him like 6.5-7 a season and our top 6 would be sick!

dannyj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:13 AM
SirBrad

this is assuming the lockout ends before then I guess.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:42 AM
dannyj10

You gotta have faith!!!!

Old
10-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Al Smith

"What do you think Ray does with the 9+ mil he has this yr? I'm hoping he can pull off a sign and trade with the Ducks for Perry. Give him like 6.5-7 a season and our top 6 would be sick!"

Sign Geno, unless he decides to skip to the KHL permanently. I wonder if the announcers there call him dirty when he sidesteps a check along the boards.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:07 AM
dannyj10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
"What do you think Ray does with the 9+ mil he has this yr? I'm hoping he can pull off a sign and trade with the Ducks for Perry. Give him like 6.5-7 a season and our top 6 would be sick!"

Sign Geno, unless he decides to skip to the KHL permanently. I wonder if the announcers there call him dirty when he sidesteps a check along the boards.
Geno will sign for the same as Sid. Unless he really feels he needs to move on which i doubt because he's never said anything to make Ray feel otherwise.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
If there's no season this year does it count as a year off of player's contracts? If not, then there won't be any new fancy FA's for Shero to target.

There's nothing really Shero can do, just wait and make trades at the deadline.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Al Smith

"Geno will sign for the same as Sid. Unless he really feels he needs to move on which i doubt because he's never said anything to make Ray feel otherwise."

Who knows what the terms of any new CBA will be, plus the issue of the Sochi Olympics is out there (although I'd be pretty surprised if the NHLPA agreed to skip those), plus who knows what Geno will think after a year of playing "at home." Just saying, as this is a risk these knuckleheads (owners and players) face if they let this drag out for a year.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

We don't know how many million Ray will have until the CBA and Cap is established and any "first year exemptions". If the current NHL proposal or something like it goes through that will be 9M but we're a long way from assuming that.

Most of the money, if he gets it might not be available the following year (i.e. the Cap might go down a lot in year 2 for any team that uses the exception). So the most likely thing to do with it is make a trade for players you'd want around for some substantial portion of the year, then let them go this summer. Would Shero trade any of our big D assets for a rental? I really doubt it.

In short, even if he gets it I don't think he'll do much with it, if the following year he'll have to spend a lot less. I think we'll be looking at a Cap a lot close to $62M after year 1, than $72M.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Sutter16

I would sign Malkin for 8.7 or whatever he wants. And go after Perry. I think Perry actually has a decent chance of coming here but we said that about Parise too

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Milliardo

Without a new CBA we have NO clue how much cap space we really have or will have.

Yes, if the lockout lasts the whole year, it will burn a year off every players contract.

I assume Geno will sign for an 8.7. cap hit and a) for as long as Sid or b) for as long as it will be allowed.

It's the same thing every year. People say "look at that great UFA class" and then when UFA starts most of them have long been signed. Perry is no more likely to sign with the Pens than Parise was.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Candyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj10 View Post
Geno will sign for the same as Sid. Unless he really feels he needs to move on which i doubt because he's never said anything to make Ray feel otherwise.
Kind of pessimistic, but what do we do if Geno does decide to test free agency or go to the KHL (or go somewhere not the penguins)

then we have a top 6 that is weaker than at any point since the dark years of the penguins and tons of money to spend, will we still spend to the cap then? Would we still even be cup contenders even if we sign a big name?

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:33 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Kind of pessimistic, but what do we do if Geno does decide to test free agency or go to the KHL (or go somewhere not the penguins)
I think that Geno will try to stick to Penguins. Pens suits him more than any other NHL team. He understands that. He is not the guy to jump from team to team.
As for KHL, it's not an easy walk for him to play there. Will he stay a superstar if he'll sign with MMg, who khows?
I think he'll stay with Pens, despite he has won in NHL everything he wanted.
Gonch will try to play in NHL as long as he can, and only after that he'll return to KHL. He himself said it

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

If Bettman is still in charge we will win the draft lottery and select Mackinnon

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:15 AM
JTG

That 9 million will probably be sucked up by the dip in the cap. We should be just fine when the dust settles on this whole situation.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Milliardo

Yep, we will be one of the teams that won't be in trouble no matter what solution they agree on.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Malkin has to come first. I'm actually kind of POed that malkin didn't get taken care of before this CBA crap started.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Malkin has to come first. I'm actually kind of POed that malkin didn't get taken care of before this CBA crap started.
How could they? As per the expired CBA, you can only negotiate with a player the off-season before their final contract year. Therefore, we would have been unable to sign him until next off-season.

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
How could they? As per the expired CBA, you can only negotiate with a player the off-season before their final contract year. Therefore, we would have been unable to sign him until next off-season.
Thats good to know. I haven't been caring about the NHL like I should.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote