HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Future D-Core

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2012, 10:40 AM
  #26
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Where have I seen this before, oh yes that's right, the 2003 Canadian WJC team where Carlo Colaiacovo, Ian White, and Brendan Bell comprised 1/2 the Canadian Team defense with Kyle Wellwood and Matt Stajan up front.

Colaiacovo lead the team in scoring 6 games 1-9-10 points (tied for 1st in tournament scoring overall) and Ian White was 3rd with 6 games 2-4-6 points for the Canadian team.

It was a time when Leafs prospect pool was said to be strong, and the future bright.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?fid=7686

Are Rielly, Finn and Percy the new Colaiacovo, White and Bell or our new era?
Who were our Gardiner and Phaneuf's back then? We didn't have them, all our NHL-level d-men were old and starting to decline.


Morgan Rielly is already a way different level of prospect than Coliacovo, White, and Bell ever were. I would call Rielly a blue-chip prospect whereas those guys were players who had a decent chance of making the NHL, but were never really expected to become star players.

Prospects like Finn, Percy, and Blacker I would call comparable to White, Bell & Coliacovo, and if they turn out to be "the new Coliacovo, White, and Bell of our new era" I for one would be fairly pleased. Two of those guys are more than capable of being quality # 4 - 6 guys, and IMO Rielly, Gardiner and Phaneuf have already got the # 1 - 3 spots locked up for a while.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:58 AM
  #27
Fogelhund
Registered User
 
Fogelhund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
A lot was expected out of Colaiacovo.... really if it wasn't for his bad luck in injuries, he likely would have been a good D man. He put some reasonable numbers for St. Louis... that was a terrible trade for us.

Colaiacovo’s improved game was evident in Halifax, where he starred for Canada at the recent World Junior tournament, and was named to the tournament all-star team after recording 10 points in 6 games. While the gaudy offensive numbers usually garner him the most attention, Colaiacovo is just as productive on the defensive side of things, as was evidenced when he was named the 2001 Top Defensive Defenseman for the OHL’s West Conference.

Colaiacovo’s game is built on the solid foundation of his spectacular skating skills, which he uses to jump into the rush at just the right time to create scoring opportunities. He is an adept passer and has the patience and poise to be considered a future quarterback catalyst for the Maple Leafs’ power play unit.


http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...lo_colaiacovo/

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:04 AM
  #28
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,304
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
A lot was expected out of Colaiacovo.... really if it wasn't for his bad luck in injuries, he likely would have been a good D man. He put some reasonable numbers for St. Louis... that was a terrible trade for us.

Colaiacovo’s improved game was evident in Halifax, where he starred for Canada at the recent World Junior tournament, and was named to the tournament all-star team after recording 10 points in 6 games. While the gaudy offensive numbers usually garner him the most attention, Colaiacovo is just as productive on the defensive side of things, as was evidenced when he was named the 2001 Top Defensive Defenseman for the OHL’s West Conference.

Colaiacovo’s game is built on the solid foundation of his spectacular skating skills, which he uses to jump into the rush at just the right time to create scoring opportunities. He is an adept passer and has the patience and poise to be considered a future quarterback catalyst for the Maple Leafs’ power play unit.


http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...lo_colaiacovo/
Agreed. Injuries hit Colaiacovo or I'm positive he could've been a very good #2, with some decent PP time too. He could hit, skate, and shoot the puck. Injuries definitely got in the way. However, a guy like White who everyone likes to bring up as a good prospect was a very big stretch of a pick. He was a small guy who could skate and had some decent offensive ability and good defensively. But his size is what makes him what he is. He's stuck as a Bottom 4 pairing guy. If he was a bit bigger, he could've been very good.

However, today, the Leafs have much better prospects with size, character, and the same or better abilities then the prospects of yesterday. Considering the way scouting has advanced in about the past 10 years.. it is easy and safe to say the Leafs have better prospects now then before.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:08 AM
  #29
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Where have I seen this before, oh yes that's right, the 2003 Canadian WJC team where Carlo Colaiacovo, Ian White, and Brendan Bell comprised 1/2 the Canadian Team defense with Kyle Wellwood and Matt Stajan up front.

Colaiacovo lead the team in scoring 6 games 1-9-10 points (tied for 1st in tournament scoring overall) and Ian White was 3rd with 6 games 2-4-6 points for the Canadian team.

It was a time when Leafs prospect pool was said to be strong, and the future bright.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?fid=7686

Are Rielly, Finn and Percy the new Colaiacovo, White and Bell or our new era?
With any luck the Senile Fox won't ship them away on a whim.....

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:44 AM
  #30
Fogelhund
Registered User
 
Fogelhund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
The Leafs have been extremely unlucky at the D spot over the years. Remember Berard? He would have been a star if he hadn't got that eye injury, so yes what could have been for the Leafs at one point.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:44 AM
  #31
Liminality
Registered User
 
Liminality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
With any luck the Senile Fox won't ship them away on a whim.....
That trade had me scratching my head. Steen still had potential, same with Carlo but he was just so friggen injury prone. Traded for Stempniak who had a good season 2 years previous to when we obtained him, hoping he'd regain his form.
Why not just hold onto Steen and Carlo, I know Fletcher wanted to clean house for the next GM but he went too far.

We had a right to be excited for the WJC in 2003. White, Carlo, Stajan and Wellwood all turned out to be NHL players which is pretty good for a teams prospect pool. If our crop of defensive prospects turn out to be a number of NHL players also, I'd be happy. Percy could be our next Bell though, nobody knows.

We also traded White and Stajan in a package for Dion Phaneuf so really they capitalized on their value in the end.

Liminality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:03 PM
  #32
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,943
vCash: 500
Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Finn/Gunnarsson/Ranger

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.