HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Targeting Luongo would be a mistake for both the Maple Leafs and Oilers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
  #1
OurHometown
HFB Partner
 
OurHometown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Targeting Luongo would be a mistake for both the Maple Leafs and Oilers

Targeting Luongo would be a mistake for both the Maple Leafs and Oilers

By Rob Soria

It's obvious people are starting to grow tired of all this NHL Lockout talk, as rumours surrounding the possible trading of Roberto Luongo have started to make the rounds one more time. Not surprisingly, the Toronto Maple Leafs still sit atop that list but recent talk has now turned the spotlight onto the Edmonton Oilers possibly having interest in the Vancouver Canucks puckstopper.

While no one can honestly question the abilities of Luongo as a starting netminder, one can easily question his current contract...which runs until the end of the 2020-2021 campaign and see him paid an annual salary of $6.714 million over the next six seasons.

READ MORE...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/edmonton/sports/RS0435.php


OurHometown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
  #2
caribouPINE
Registered User
 
caribouPINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 500
We don't even know what the new CBA will look like so how can we say it is a mistake?

If there is an amnesty clause we can eventually use, or if his cap hit reverts back to the Canucks are both huge PROS FOR acquiring Luongo and its very possible that one, if not both, are in the new CBA so tell Rob Soria to wait before proclaiming it's a bad move.

caribouPINE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:08 AM
  #3
Drew311
Catch The Taste
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,811
vCash: 500
"It's safe to say the following teams would be almost guaranteed to make the playoffs:

Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, New Jersey Devils, Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals"


Pretty bold to be making almost concrete decisions about who will make the playoffs before a new CBA is signed. I think a big flurry of trades will go down in the 1-2 weeks following the signing of the new CBA and the start of the season. What happens if 3-4 teams in the conference have to make big time roster shake-up trades to conform to the new salary cap?

Plus proclaiming teams like New Jersey and Washington are sure-fire playoff teams at this point is completely ridiculous. Jersey just lost their best player and are going into the season with two fossils between the pipes.

Did this guy predict Ottawa would make the playoffs last season and Buffalo wouldn't?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:10 AM
  #4
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,012
vCash: 166
Didn't Kovalchuk just say if the CBA reduces salaries he might not go back? If that happens the Devils are screwed. Not only that but Brodeur isn't getting any younger.. Washington doesn't have a sure fire #1. Holtby was good in the playoffs, but I can see him being like Niemi.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:12 AM
  #5
caribouPINE
Registered User
 
caribouPINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
"It's safe to say the following teams would be almost guaranteed to make the playoffs:

Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, New Jersey Devils, Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals"


Pretty bold to be making almost concrete decisions about who will make the playoffs before a new CBA is signed. I think a big flurry of trades will go down in the 1-2 weeks following the signing of the new CBA and the start of the season. What happens if 3-4 teams in the conference have to make big time roster shake-up trades to conform to the new salary cap?

Plus proclaiming teams like New Jersey and Washington are sure-fire playoff teams at this point is completely ridiculous. Jersey just lost their best player and are going into the season with two fossils between the pipes.

Did this guy predict Ottawa would make the playoffs last season and Buffalo wouldn't?

Not to mention, pretty much 90-95% of prognositcators had the Habs AND Lightning BOTH making the playoffs last year.

I remember Steve Kouleous talking vividly last year about "If the Leafs want to get in, that means 1 of the following teams will have to miss..." and he said the Habs/Bolts were guarantees.

Nobody had Ottawa in last year. Or PHX as a home-team seed. And NJ was coming off a disastrous season.

All BS

caribouPINE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:19 AM
  #6
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Is there a reason he's allowed to advertise his blog on this board?
Not to mention, for someone who fancies himself a writer, his grammar is AWFUL.

ErnieLeafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:26 AM
  #7
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
I still say that the rumours that oilers are in the Hunt is being planted by the Vancouver media.

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:28 AM
  #8
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 150
There's already a thread for Luongo talk. This should be moved

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:28 AM
  #9
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,012
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I still say that the rumours that oilers are in the Hunt is being planted by the Vancouver media.
Definitely. He doesn't fit their age bracket nor does it really make sense. They'd have to give up quite a bit and I'm not sure they'd want to do that. Unless they are giving up Hemsky. But I highly doubt the Oilers are going to try to trade for a goalie, instead of just drafting one and letting him develop with the kids they already have.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:30 AM
  #10
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Didn't Kovalchuk just say if the CBA reduces salaries he might not go back? If that happens the Devils are screwed. Not only that but Brodeur isn't getting any younger.. Washington doesn't have a sure fire #1. Holtby was good in the playoffs, but I can see him being like Niemi.
If they lose Kovalchuk, trading their prospects or picks is the last thing the Devils will do for an awful contract.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:32 AM
  #11
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,709
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Definitely. He doesn't fit their age bracket nor does it really make sense. They'd have to give up quite a bit and I'm not sure they'd want to do that. Unless they are giving up Hemsky. But I highly doubt the Oilers are going to try to trade for a goalie, instead of just drafting one and letting him develop with the kids they already have.
While I agree that I don't think Luongo would be the best fit age wise, I think it could work.

When Pittsburgh and Chicago won the cup, it was when their star players were still on their cheaper contracts allowing them to compete better. Edmonton may be taking the gamble of their young guns tearing it up soon in 2-3 years (while still being cheap) when Luongo would still be of use. Risky, but it could pay off.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:33 AM
  #12
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,012
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
While I agree that I don't think Luongo would be the best fit age wise, I think it could work.

When Pittsburgh and Chicago won the cup, it was when their star players were still on their cheaper contracts allowing them to compete better. Edmonton may be taking the gamble of their young guns tearing it up soon in 2-3 years (while still being cheap) when Luongo would still be of use. Risky, but it could pay off.
Hall and Eberle are no longer on cheap contracts. Adding Luongo will only hinder their ability to continue to re-sign their young guys like RNH and Yakupov in the coming years. This doesn't include any defensemen, goalies, or other forwards along the way. Adding Luongo doesn't make sense for Edmonton unless they are losing Horcoff or Hemsky.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
  #13
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Definitely. He doesn't fit their age bracket nor does it really make sense. They'd have to give up quite a bit and I'm not sure they'd want to do that. Unless they are giving up Hemsky. But I highly doubt the Oilers are going to try to trade for a goalie, instead of just drafting one and letting him develop with the kids they already have.
And he fits with Toronto? Shouldn't Toronto have the exact same stance as you suggest EDM take?

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:48 AM
  #14
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,012
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
And he fits with Toronto? Shouldn't Toronto have the exact same stance as you suggest EDM take?
Toronto has 3 #1 overall picks in the past three years? Toronto has to re-sign these guys plus others? Toronto doesn't have the same stance as Edmonton because Toronto HAS to make the playoffs. Edmonton doesn't HAVE to make the playoffs this year, or even next year. They have lots of time left. Toronto needs to make the playoffs or else the fans are going to go insane. Edmonton doesn't even know where they are playing in the next few years too.. I see them sticking with Dubnyk until they trade for Bernier.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
  #15
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
But I highly doubt the Oilers are going to try to trade for a goalie, instead of just drafting one and letting him develop with the kids they already have.
Goalies take the longest to develop. It could be 5+ years before such a drafted goalie every sees NHL icetime (I personally feel it's a waste to use a 1st round pick on a goalie - too much risk). Better for the Oilers to sign a veteran goalie (doesn't have to be Luongo) to take either the starters role or help work with Dubnyk).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:28 PM
  #16
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Toronto has 3 #1 overall picks in the past three years? Toronto has to re-sign these guys plus others? Toronto doesn't have the same stance as Edmonton because Toronto HAS to make the playoffs. Edmonton doesn't HAVE to make the playoffs this year, or even next year. They have lots of time left. Toronto needs to make the playoffs or else the fans are going to go insane. Edmonton doesn't even know where they are playing in the next few years too.. I see them sticking with Dubnyk until they trade for Bernier.
This is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Edmonton are rebuilding
Toronto is rebuilding

Neither should be mortgaging their future for short term gains.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:24 PM
  #17
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,012
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
This is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Edmonton are rebuilding
Toronto is rebuilding

Neither should be mortgaging their future for short term gains.
Everyone knows Burke hates making the playoffs. If you can get an all-star goalie for less then market value, you need to do it. The Leafs core is much older then the Oilers core.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:29 PM
  #18
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Is there a reason he's allowed to advertise his blog on this board?
https://sites.google.com/a/hfboards....artnersprogram

__________________
bWo: If you don't know, you should know... Buds WORLD Order Constitution
Adj: "Squiffy" - stupefied by a chemical substance (esp. alcohol)

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:03 PM
  #19
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Everyone knows Burke hates making the playoffs. If you can get an all-star goalie for less then market value, you need to do it. The Leafs core is much older then the Oilers core.
So since were older - we should trade away prospects/picks (youth/futures) for a 33 year old Veteran goalie?

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:10 PM
  #20
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,872
vCash: 50
that was a pretty bad article, Nobody can predict the playoffs before the season happens.

Last year nobody had the blues so high, and people pegged tampa as a top end team, It changes.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:20 PM
  #21
TheCLAM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 685
vCash: 500
How is New Jersey guaranteed to make a playoff spot? LMAO

TheCLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:25 PM
  #22
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCLAM View Post
How is New Jersey guaranteed to make a playoff spot? LMAO
They did just go to the finals, it's not an especially bold position. But it's true, all pre-season predictions of teams "virtually guaranteed" to hold playoff position inevitably contain one or two that surprise and bomb out.

Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:40 PM
  #23
Fogelhund
Registered User
 
Fogelhund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Everyone knows Burke hates making the playoffs. If you can get an all-star goalie for less then market value, you need to do it. The Leafs core is much older then the Oilers core.
Yet, the average age of the Oilers is older than that of the Leafs...

http://www.thehockeynetwork.com/foru...nger-teams.php

I get your point, but if you are building a team, and have a chance to pick up a building block for the the right price, you do so. If it isn't the right price, you move on... which is why the deal isn't done yet.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:10 PM
  #24
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,284
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
If they lose Kovalchuk, trading their prospects or picks is the last thing the Devils will do for an awful contract.
Dont forget NJ still has to forefit a 1st round pick, considering where they were picking last season, i dont understand why they would risk forefitting what looks like it will be a top 10 pick (either 2013/14) for Matteau... Unless they were banking on the CBA nullifying that agreement.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:11 PM
  #25
TmlHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,747
vCash: 500
No need to set ourselves back by trading for Luongo.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.