HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avs fans

Old
10-23-2012, 10:12 PM
FoppaForsberg*

vCash: 500
Avs fans

I know right now we don't exactly fill the building, but neither did St.louis, or Washington, or Pittsburgh, or even Chicago when they weren't winning. Say we start getting some playoff appearences in, where would you rank our fan base? With the Phoenix's, Dallas, Atlanta, Florida, Islanders? Or more so in the middle rankings like St.Louis, Buffalo, etc?

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Moore Money

When we are winning? The best fan base in the league of course.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:26 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
It's a **** fan base.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Zingbo2133

Didn't they sell out like 500 straight games back in the day or something.

Zingbo2133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingbo2133 View Post
Didn't they sell out like 500 straight games back in the day or something.
Fair-weather fans.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Mant*

oh good, we haven't had one of these threads where the canadian avalanche fans **** all over the avalanche fans in colorado in a while.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:51 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Colorado fan base consists of band-wagoners, if Avs win then the fan base is amazing.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:04 AM
GamingGiant

Mostly fair-weather fans.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
People forget that Denver is the smallest of the major cities in America to contain all four major sports franchises. With the Economy as it is, calling people fair-weather fans for not going to every game when the team sucks is far from accurate imo.

Of course I don't live there, but if I did I still wouldn't have season tickets. I'd actually be more inclined to see the Mammoth than the Avs live, Lacrosse games are exciting and cheap. I also prefer TV Hockey over in-person games unless I get bottom level tickets, which cost way more than they are worth wherever you go.

Best experience I ever had was sadly when the Avs got blown out by NJ a couple years ago in NJ, their stadium is very nice (expensive, but nice) and their nosebleeds cost me nothing, with how empty the stadium was we just walked to the lower deck during intermission and followed a crowd in past the guards and sat down in some empty seats for the next two periods.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:09 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

To all the people saying Avs fans are fair-weathered... tell me how many franchises fill the seats when the team isn't playing well or contending? Remember the Penguins and Blackhawks several years ago when they absolutely sucked? Yea... empty arenas, cranky fan base.

When the Avs start winning again, it'll be big with casual fans again and seats will fill up.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:09 AM
chet1926

I think its garbage that people are calling Avs followers fair-weather or band-wagoners. Up until the last lockout we probably had one of the strongest fan bases in the league. Since the lockout, there have been some rough times the team has been in constant decline and we've had pretty poor results. This is going to drive away the casual fan.

The last 3 years in particular have been really bad, the team has been downright awful save one fluke playoff run, the owner has shown he is not willing to pump money into the team or the building to make it nicer, and the fans are sick of being treated like 2nd rate citizens. Nobody wants to pay top dollar to go sit in the nosebleeds.

For example my boss has had season tickets from day 1 to the Avs, he is a diehard Avs fan but he is considering giving up his tickets. The reason being is 1. the lockout (the ultimate FU to the fans) 2. the team never spending any money to field a better product. So basically he is sick and tired of spending a large chunk of change on an inferior product that doesn't seem to be taking the steps to get better.

So basically in summation if the owner ever decides to stop humping the cap floor and field a competitive team and make the fans interested in the coming, they will come. That doesn't make them fair weather it makes them smart for not wasting their hard earned money on a team/owner that is inferior but waiting until the team shows them that are going to spend money and are able to compete on a nightly basis. But if you continue turn a blind eye to the team and pump all your resources into the Nuggets, Rams, that soccer team he owns etc. and the fans feel slighted they are going to continue poor turnouts.

chet1926 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:13 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I think its garbage that people are calling Avs followers fair-weather or band-wagoners. Up until the last lockout we probably had one of the strongest fan bases in the league. Since the lockout, there have been some rough times the team has been in constant decline and we've had pretty poor results. This is going to drive away the casual fan.

The last 3 years in particular have been really bad, the team has been downright awful save one fluke playoff run, the owner has shown he is not willing to pump money into the team or the building to make it nicer, and the fans are sick of being treated like 2nd rate citizens. Nobody wants to pay top dollar to go sit in the nosebleeds.

For example my boss has had season tickets from day 1 to the Avs, he is a diehard Avs fan but he is considering giving up his tickets. The reason being is 1. the lockout (the ultimate FU to the fans) 2. the team never spending any money to field a better product. So basically he is sick and tired of spending a large chunk of change on an inferior product that doesn't seem to be taking the steps to get better.

So basically in summation if the owner ever decides to stop humping the cap floor and field a competitive team and make the fans interested in the coming, they will come. That doesn't make them fair weather it makes them smart for not wasting their hard earned money on a team/owner that is inferior but waiting until the team shows them that are going to spend money and are able to compete on a nightly basis. But if you continue turn a blind eye to the team and pump all your resources into the Nuggets, Rams, that soccer team he owns etc. and the fans feel slighted they are going to continue poor turnouts.
I agree to an extent. Casual fans may feel slighted because we aren't seeing a Sakic or Forsberg or Roy every night. Die hard fans should be well aware that the team is rebuilding with a young core. Casual fans will come back once this team matures & gets stronger.

I totally understand why fans, league wide, are kissing the NHL good bye due to the lockout though. The fans of the NHL as a whole are getting treated like doo-doo right now.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Kloparren
Hth

I don't really understand it. THere's being bandwagon fans but I don't get how the team could actually sell out every regular season game and then have an attendance drop so significant. I mean some of those "bandwagon" fans that kept coming to games must have become regulars. It has to be high ticket prices.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Colorado fan base consists of band-wagoners, if Avs win then the fan base is amazing.
Yep, pretty much.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Razor29
52-22-8

Every team has em.

I like to point that out to Flames fans when they talk smack. Their team almost relocated right before 2003/4.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:32 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I don't really understand it. THere's being bandwagon fans but I don't get how the team could actually sell out every regular season game and then have an attendance drop so significant. I mean some of those "bandwagon" fans that kept coming to games must have become regulars. It has to be high ticket prices.
It's really a combination of things. Up until the 2004-05 lockout, the Avs were (arguably) the best sports team in Denver, and bringing in fans was easy. The Nuggets sucked, the Broncos (post Elway) weren't all that great, and the Mammoth didn't come into existence until 2003.

The lockout changed some things. People were angry that an entire season of hockey was lost, so they refused to go to games. The team was dismantled due to the cap and retirements.

Combine that with the Nuggets going from the 6th/7th place team in their division to making the playoffs every year since 03-04. By comparison, the Avs have only made the playoffs 3 of the 7 years since the last lockout. The team has had a couple of top 3 picks.

Then throw the Mammoth into the mix. Since they joined the league, they have missed the playoffs once. As someone else mentioned, lacrosse is fast, fun and cheap.

If you have a limited budget to spend on live sporting events, are you going to choose see a team that is competitive, or a team that isn't?

IWantSakicAsMyGM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:56 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post
It's really a combination of things. Up until the 2004-05 lockout, the Avs were (arguably) the best sports team in Denver, and bringing in fans was easy. The Nuggets sucked, the Broncos (post Elway) weren't all that great, and the Mammoth didn't come into existence until 2003.

The lockout changed some things. People were angry that an entire season of hockey was lost, so they refused to go to games. The team was dismantled due to the cap and retirements.

Combine that with the Nuggets going from the 6th/7th place team in their division to making the playoffs every year since 03-04. By comparison, the Avs have only made the playoffs 3 of the 7 years since the last lockout. The team has had a couple of top 3 picks.

Then throw the Mammoth into the mix. Since they joined the league, they have missed the playoffs once. As someone else mentioned, lacrosse is fast, fun and cheap.

If you have a limited budget to spend on live sporting events, are you going to choose see a team that is competitive, or a team that isn't?
All good points. The biggest thing is the Avs being a non-playoff team.

Let's face facts, people spend money when the team is a winner OR when the team is loaded. There was no problem filling the seats when the Avs had the likes of Sakic, Forsberg, and Roy. Playoffs were just a given back then.

With ticket prices being expensive, it's tough for some fans to cough up the dough when, odds are, the Avs will struggle and most likely miss the playoffs. It happens with every team that goes through low periods of play.

Last season some Penguin fans were bragging how amazing their fan base was. How quickly they forget (or didn't know because they were most likely bandwagon fans) that the Pens were a bottom dwelling team that had bad attendance & Mario Lemieux had to come in and save the franchise pre-Crosby.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

If we were to start winning again, we'd easily be one of the top 5-10 franchises again. Even with this team losing like it did the last few years, we havent been in the bottom 5-10. Were a middle of the pack team when were losing, and were a Top team when were winning.

I wish I lived in Colroado, I wouldnt have season tickets but I would go to at least 2-3 games a month. One of the biggest things I want to do right now is see an Avs game live, preferably in Colroado, but I just want to see them play.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
oh good, we haven't had one of these threads where the canadian avalanche fans **** all over the avalanche fans in colorado in a while.
This. Its easy to say you'd go to the games if you lived here.

Wal Nichushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:54 PM
FoppaForsberg*

I never really understood Avs fans being labeled as bandwagoners, fair weathered, etc. Because a large portion of any fan base IS bandwagoners( except the habs, minny, jets, of course the leafs)
Take a look at the attendance for the Bruins from 2000-01 to 07-08. Terrible attendance all those years, yet now they're considered one of the best fan bases in the league. Once they started winning the fans came back, same story with Pittsburgh, Chicago, St.Louis, Washington, etc. So unless the team your teams in Canada, chances are you won't have fans until you start winning.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskogien View Post
Every team has em.

I like to point that out to Flames fans when they talk smack. Their team almost relocated right before 2003/4.
agreed, and with their mediocrity , it seems that half the city of calgary are vancouver fans now

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I'm not a band wagon fan. I am just a frustrated fan. When the owner refuses to spend some dough it gets aggravating. The stadium needs updating, the roster could use a few snipers for hire, and the overall feel of the Pepsi Center is that they are trying to keep rehashing the late 90s.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Drizzt1

We are pretty much a generation away from our golden period where we won, and had all those sell outs. The younger generation of fans look at winners to support, and we are presently most certainly not winners.

Additionally, fans are drawn to superstars. We do not have one superstar, the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, The Sedin twins, Lidstrom, Malkin, Kobvalchuk, Stamkos, etc etc etc, we have hard working toilers that are pretty good.

That also doesn't draw in a new generation of fans. Mainly blue collar players.

And you know what? I don't blame the younger fans for that. They just wouldn't enjoy hockey, if they got into it the last 5 years, and supported Avs. They'd have lost interest fast.

I'm stuck to the team, because I was a Quebec fan well before an Avs fan, so I have experienced it all, being the very high, high's, and what we are going through now, and the terribly low, lows.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
We are pretty much a generation away from our golden period where we won, and had all those sell outs. The younger generation of fans look at winners to support, and we are presently most certainly not winners.

Additionally, fans are drawn to superstars. We do not have one superstar, the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, The Sedin twins, Lidstrom, Malkin, Kobvalchuk, Stamkos, etc etc etc, we have hard working toilers that are pretty good.

That also doesn't draw in a new generation of fans. Mainly blue collar players.

And you know what? I don't blame the younger fans for that. They just wouldn't enjoy hockey, if they got into it the last 5 years, and supported Avs. They'd have lost interest fast.

I'm stuck to the team, because I was a Quebec fan well before an Avs fan, so I have experienced it all, being the very high, high's, and what we are going through now, and the terribly low, lows.
Same for me , as you all know , i've been through the ups and downs of the Nordiques and to be honest, the last five years with the Avs were not that bad , compare with what a saw in Québec.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:37 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I'm not a band wagon fan. I am just a frustrated fan. When the owner refuses to spend some dough it gets aggravating.
Exactly. And, being a "fair weather fan" or a "bandwagoner" is in no way correlated to one's attendance, or lack thereof, to games at the Pepsi Center. I watch every game on TV, always have, and listen to every game on the radio that isn't televised, but I go to more games at the Pepsi Center when we're winning. I can justify spending the money on a ticket (or tickets) if my chances of seeing a competitive team fight for the post season are high. If not, I choose not to drop the cash and stay home to watch on the DVR. Whether I watch at home or go to the game has absolutely zero to do with what kind of fan I am, to what degree I am a fan, or the quality or level of my fanaticism. Anyone who calls me a fair weather fan because I choose to watch on TV rather than go to the games when we're not competitive can ...

Last edited by Frenchy: 10-25-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Let them use their imagination on what they can do
SuperTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote