HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ruff says Sabres in "scary category" with youth at center

Old
10-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
How obviously good he was there flanked by two big wingers who could take care of most of the physical stuff for him. Why wouldn't you want your (at least at the end of last season) best offensive player playing in the position he's been most successful at? Especially if it's the most important forward position?
Because it's not what they drafted or developed him to be. You're looking short-term with him playing with Foligno and Stafford. Yes, it's what they want going into this season, and it's what most people want. That doesn't mean they want Ennis there long-term. If Hodgson, Grigorenko and Girgensons all work out, you have 3 very capable centers available for the top 3 lines. They still might want Ennis to slide back to wing long-term once they're all ready to go, which could be as early as next season.

His tenure at center is also very limited, so you're not working with a whole lot of data. His play at wing is way more established, so saying he's been the most successful there is flawed.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Superhero

Ennis is Roy's replacement

Ott is Gaustad's replacement

Hodson is Connolly's replacement

Just a bit of changing of pieces

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
The real issue isn't Kassian. It's Hodgson. Even if they wanted to get rid of Kassian, trade him for something of use. Kassian had value. He was an asset. They drafted a center with their 1st round pick, traded picks to get back into the first round to draft another center, then drafted another 3 centers with their remaining picks. And even after the draft, Regier still said his number 1 priority going into the season would be to add another center. So what do you know that i don't. That doesn't seem like a team happy with their centers. What need hole did Hodgson actually fill for the Sabres? What you are really forgetting is the timeline. Ennis was on the wing when the Sabres made the deal. What they thought they were getting in Hodgson, they didn't know they already had in Ennis (plus some.) It was a bad trade.
I agree.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:22 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I agree.
worst case scenario we swapped Kassian a 6-9 forward with grit for hodgson a 6-9 center, and ennis suddenly developed into a player who can play seemingly whenever.

Theres no reason ennis cant go back to wing when the G-men are ready....we need ennis at center this year and this year only.

I was a huge Kassian fan until about 5 games into his sabres tenure and being a rochester native I got to see him every game after he was sent back down from buffalo...this kid's attitude problems(as foreseen by some with his bar incident) are a huge red light...sure he may throw down but if he ever cracks 30-30-60 in his career ill eat crow, however if hodgson doesnt pot 60 points in the next 3 years id be surprised.

We are also forgetting that Kassian's spot went to Foligno...to be honest here, no Kassian trade= no foligno call up...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
The real issue isn't Kassian. It's Hodgson. Even if they wanted to get rid of Kassian, trade him for something of use. Kassian had value. He was an asset. They drafted a center with their 1st round pick, traded picks to get back into the first round to draft another center, then drafted another 3 centers with their remaining picks. And even after the draft, Regier still said his number 1 priority going into the season would be to add another center. So what do you know that i don't. That doesn't seem like a team happy with their centers. What need hole did Hodgson actually fill for the Sabres? What you are really forgetting is the timeline. Ennis was on the wing when the Sabres made the deal. What they thought they were getting in Hodgson, they didn't know they already had in Ennis (plus some.) It was a bad trade.
The housing market in Flint, Michigan is booming

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:39 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
The issue is timing. You can't compare centers just drafted to centers in their early 20s to centers in their early 30s and say that if we have enough of any one kind, we have enough of all of them. The draft is irrelevant to the team's current needs until one of them proves they can fill them. So yes, we can draft 100 centers and still have a need for centers in the short term.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:57 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Completely disagree,

1) Regier didn't know where he would be drafting at the time of the trade...nor did he know the two young centers would be available to draft.

2) The knock on Kassian both in Buffalo mid-season and Vancouver down the stretch was his absence of physical play. Zack appeared to be attempting to control his emotions/focus on his offensive game at the expense of being the wrecking ball from ****. So the very thing that made him an asset for Buffalo was not being displayed on a consistent basis.

3) Hodgson had a rather poor showing with the Sabres after arriving at the trade deadline...but make no mistake about it, this kids hockey sense and leadership skills are things that are hard to find. He is future captain material, and for a team that has been accused of being mentally weak at times, is a welcome addition.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Trading Roy was a mistake
I do not believe I am capable of uttering those words in that sequence, consequences be damned.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:05 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Disagree for a lot of reasons, which mostly have been touched on already.

The idea of writing off Hodgson at the end of his rookie season is asinine, though. He played a really solid game most nights, and the fact is he had, what, 2 practices with the team in the first 20 days of being a Sabre? I'm willing to give him another look and not worry about whether or not Zeke ever puts it all together.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:55 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
I do not believe I am capable of uttering those words in that sequence, consequences be damned.
Trading Roy wasn't the mistake; failing to shore up the position after his departure was.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:12 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Trading Roy wasn't the mistake; failing to shore up the position after his departure was.
I don't think that management, in their heart of hearts, really expects much of the team this season. They're holding on for Grigs, Armia, and Girgensons, imo.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
I don't think that management, in their heart of hearts, really expects much of the team this season. They're holding on for Grigs, Armia, and Girgensons, imo.
I think management, in their heart of hearts, hopes there is no season.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think they do. I think they believe they're a (completely) healthy Miller and fewer back-to-backs away from being a playoff team. Whether that's the case or not, we'll find out if they play a season. But I don't believe that managment thinks this team just isn't good enough.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 03:06 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
I agree. I think they were more interested in seeing the progression of Ennis and Hodgson and a few of the others (will Foligno take a step back from his development? is Mcnabb ready to fill the shoes of Regehr when his contract is up?)

Of course the loss of this season doesn't help this, but the fact that the prospects have a chance to play catch up to the vets and have an opportunity to push for a spot, will do wonders for competition.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Yup. We're in a rebuild. I think we'd be competitive this season. Probably a first round exit.

In a year or 2, that's when we'll start turning the corner. The potential is def there.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
ryanbiggame*

Send a message via AIM to ryanbiggame* Send a message via Skype™ to ryanbiggame*
Ha, this takes me back a year ago when we got Mario Williams and the other explosive D players. Everyone in Buffalo were optimistic, well look now. It's the same thing here, yeah they look good on paper and Lindy can go ahead and showboat about them, but lets get serious.

ryanbiggame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbiggame View Post
It's the same thing here, yeah they look good on paper and Lindy can go ahead and showboat about them, but lets get serious.
They look like garbage on paper.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:18 AM
ryanbiggame*

Send a message via AIM to ryanbiggame* Send a message via Skype™ to ryanbiggame*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
They look like garbage on paper.
Exactly. I'm ****ing tired of BUFFALO teams.. were not making the playoffs if they lift the lockout*+^..

*If we avoid injuries
+ Well, we have a lot of talent on the Amerks'
^I hope?

ryanbiggame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

I think with the lack of high end centers and the way Grigorenko is dominating the Q, there is no way he isn't on the big club if the lockout ends.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:14 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbiggame View Post
Ha, this takes me back a year ago when we got Mario Williams and the other explosive D players. Everyone in Buffalo were optimistic, well look now. It's the same thing here, yeah they look good on paper and Lindy can go ahead and showboat about them, but lets get serious.
The Buffalo Bills have nothing to do with this.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:16 PM
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The Buffalo Bills have nothing to do with this.
Exactly, they are set at Center with Eric Wood and long snapper Garrison Sanborn.

I'm okay with a center-by-committee approach if they can pick up a respectable 2nd/3rd line centre who can play key defensive minutes. I want Grigs to stay in the Q this year and tear it up through a long playoff run. Don't !@#$ with this kid's development - he really could be the player this team has been waiting for. We've already rolled the dice with Girgensons in the AHL.

ManuelCalavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Based on?
Based on the fact Ruff wants him at center and sees him taking over Roy's minutes.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:58 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Because it's not what they drafted or developed him to be. You're looking short-term with him playing with Foligno and Stafford. Yes, it's what they want going into this season, and it's what most people want. That doesn't mean they want Ennis there long-term. If Hodgson, Grigorenko and Girgensons all work out, you have 3 very capable centers available for the top 3 lines. They still might want Ennis to slide back to wing long-term once they're all ready to go, which could be as early as next season.

His tenure at center is also very limited, so you're not working with a whole lot of data. His play at wing is way more established, so saying he's been the most successful there is flawed.
So basically you're using guess work and supposition to counter Ruff's actual comments.

How exactly does Hodgson get put with Girgs and Grigs developmentally? Coho is the same draft year as Ennis and has more NHL games as a center (91gms) than Ennis (about 20gms).

Its seems like you're the one more so than the Sabres that does't want Ennis at center long term. Or at least prefer the kids(Grigs and Girgs) or Hodgson to him.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Based on the fact Ruff wants him at center and sees him taking over Roy's minutes.
Out of necessity. That doesn't necessarily mean Ruff absolutely wants him at center, it just means he's the best option to be there now. If Ruff had more options at center I doubt the decision to keep Ennis there is as easy to make as it is now.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:00 PM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Line-up in a few years if most of our prospects pan out how they should, as well as resigning a few FA's:

Vanek-Grigs-Stafford/Pominville
Ennis-Hodgson-Armia
Foligno-Girgs-Gerbe
Kaleta-Nelson/Cat/?-Ott/Tropp

Obviously we probably won't be resigning all of our FA's, and these lines are just a crapshoot, but this looks like a sick-nasty (bringin' it back) lineup. D-corps won't look so bad either.

McNabb-Myers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Brennen/McCabe-Sekera/JGL

Dat Depth... I'm drooling guys, seriously.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote