HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff says Sabres in "scary category" with youth at center

Old
10-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
So basically you're using guess work and supposition to counter Ruff's actual comments.

How exactly does Hodgson get put with Girgs and Grigs developmentally? Coho is the same draft year as Ennis and has more NHL games as a center (91gms) than Ennis (about 20gms).

Its seems like you're the one more so than the Sabres that does't want Ennis at center long term. Or at least prefer the kids(Grigs and Girgs) or Hodgson to him.
I really don't care what they do with him long-term. If he stays at center and plays well there, fine. If other centers develop and it makes more sense for the team to move him back to wing, that's fine too. All I'm saying is that him being at center now doesn't mean he's now a center on this team long-term, nor does it mean the coaching staff envisions him being there long-term.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Based on the fact Ruff wants him at center and sees him taking over Roy's minutes.

Lindy Ruff... some things will never change

I'll be the first to say it... Ruff should be fired.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:09 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I really don't care what they do with him long-term. If he stays at center and plays well there, fine. If other centers develop and it makes more sense for the team to move him back to wing, that's fine too. All I'm saying is that him being at center now doesn't mean he's now a center on this team long-term, nor does it mean the coaching staff envisions him being there long-term.
Then why were you arguing against the idea that they see him at center?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Then why were you arguing against the idea that they see him at center?
I wasn't. I said him being there now doesn't mean they see him staying there long-term.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I wasn't. I said him being there now doesn't mean they see him staying there long-term.
Fair enough.

But I can't see why the would see him elsewhere unless things change. As in for the foreseeable future he is viewed as a center as opposed to a placeholder for others not on the team yet.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Fair enough.

But I can't see why the would see him elsewhere unless things change. As in for the foreseeable future he is viewed as a center as opposed to a placeholder for others not on the team yet.
Maybe because they know you don't win a cup with a midget centering your top line

I guess the flip side is... why did they wait until they had absolutely no other options, to finally try him at center? Maybe because they realize that long term (in regards to building a contender), he probably doesn't belong there.... OR... they are the worst talent evaluators in the NHL.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Maybe because they know you don't win a cup with a midget centering your top line

I guess the flip side is... why did they wait until they had absolutely no other options, to finally try him at center? Maybe because they realize that long term (in regards to building a contender), he probably doesn't belong there.... OR... they are the worst talent evaluators in the NHL.
We are not a Cup contender at the moment and won't be for at least a few years. By then he could be centering a secondary scoring line.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:49 PM
leftwinghockey

Leafs fan here.

First of all, let me say that I must shake my head at you all complaining about centre ice options considering what we've dealt with since Mats left.

Secondly, from what I saw Tyler Ennis is a budding 1st-2nd line centre with 70 pt potential. Almost reminds me of Giroux, is no one on here excited for this kid?

leftwinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghockey View Post
Leafs fan here.

First of all, let me say that I must shake my head at you all complaining about centre ice options considering what we've dealt with since Mats left.

Secondly, from what I saw Tyler Ennis is a budding 1st-2nd line centre with 70 pt potential. Almost reminds me of Giroux, is no one on here excited for this kid?
The difference is the Sabres are trying to ice an NHL team, unlike the Leafs.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
We are not a Cup contender at the moment and won't be for at least a few years. By then he could be centering a secondary scoring line.
He must've played poorly over those few years to be demoted to a secondary role.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:55 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Leafs fan here.

The Sabres could have had Gretzky in his prime and someone here would complain about his skating or work ethic.

It's to be expected.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:02 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Leafs fan here.

Many of us are extremely excited for Ennis. I also see him having Giroux type potential, but even I can see the concern over how young we are. All that is left is for him to prove it on the ice, so it's kind of pointless debating it over and over.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
He must've played poorly over those few years to be demoted to a secondary role.
Right. Obviously there is no room for people to step up.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I thought all the excitement over Grigorenko was because he was a stud #1 center that would make us a Cup contender a few years down the line.

If thats the case then why would Ennis' play have to tail off for him to be the secondary scoring center to Grigorenko's role as our franchise center?

Old
10-25-2012, 12:07 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Looking at the "Mason Raymond for your bottom six center" thread, would Beagle or Abdelkader meaningfully shore up our center depth? Both might lose out to numbers games, Abdelkader especially, and would add 2+ minutes of PK time and quality fourth line minutes at least...

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Sabretip

Head scratching column in the latest issue of The Hockey News ranked each team, in terms of the balance between their top 6 forwards vs. their bottom 6 forwards - and they had the Sabres at # 15....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
XJ
Broken

Dear people of HF everyone here understands when lindy said "scary" he meant that as in the good manner not the awe crap we suck all the time way as so the fans of this team think.. This team is down right set at center for years to come if Ennis, Hodgson, and Girgorenko become what we all know they can be. And if they become as good as they can be they will be "Scary" good at this position..

Sabres suck blah blah blah, Lindy sucks blah blah blah, oh nooooo lindy said they are scary at center lets mistranslate that to something negative

XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:50 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ View Post
Dear people of HF everyone here understands when lindy said "scary" he meant that as in the good manner not the awe crap we suck all the time way as so the fans of this team think.. This team is down right set at center for years to come if Ennis, Hodgson, and Girgorenko become what we all know they can be. And if they become as good as they can be they will be "Scary" good at this position..

Sabres suck blah blah blah, Lindy sucks blah blah blah, oh nooooo lindy said they are scary at center lets mistranslate that to something negative
But that's not the context Lindy used the word scary to describe the center situation. See original post and referenced TBN article.

As to your 2nd paragraph, I won't disagree.

And, welcome!

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:44 AM
LeanBeef

Man, you guys should have given something else to Vancouver for Hodgson.

Kassian and Hodgson could have developed into a Clowe and Pavelski, Weiss and Horton, or even Morrison and Bertuzzi type of one-two punch.

LeanBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:20 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBeef View Post
Man, you guys should have given something else to Vancouver for Hodgson.

Kassian and Hodgson could have developed into a Clowe and Pavelski, Weiss and Horton, or even Morrison and Bertuzzi type of one-two punch.
The thing is, is Gillis apparently had a list of 6 players he was targeting as return in a trade for Hodgson, and Kassian was one of them.
It's A-OK because we still have Foligno and Tropp as young, gritty options. I don't think either of them is as straight-up mean on the ice as Kassian or as naturally talented, but they both work harder on a shift-to-shift basis.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote