HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

2013 WHL Bantam Draft

Old
10-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

vCash: 500
Here is a quote from my recent game reports, keep reading for some comments on other players like Keyvan Mokhtari, Quinn Benjafield, and Tavin Grant. I will keep doing these game reports (which will also include WHL, BCHL and BCMML) throughout the year.

But these are just comments, I will release a sort-of guide at the end of the season, which is a collection of my in-depth scouting reports on players I have viewed.

http://hockeyprospecthandbook.blogsp...ort-north.html
Quote:
- Dante Hanoun was simply amazing. He is a great two-way forward with a great scorers touch. He is simply your amazing all-round package of talent and was the best player for the NSWC. He's well-conditioned, has amazing hockey sense, and is great in all three zones. He is going to be a keeper.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Dante is going to look great on a stacked team. Love his play and his development but the whole shuffle in AAA teams is still taking place and Burnaby A1 is hardly a competition.

Jansen Harkins was amazing last year and right now has 1 goal in 8 games for NW Giants. Not comparing the two, but your evaluation of the other Vipers will give me an indicator of what you consider to be elite and the strengths at this age level.

Let me know of your evaluations of the rest of the 1998 born Vancouver Vipers when you get a chance to see them.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Dante is going to look great on a stacked team. Love his play and his development but the whole shuffle in AAA teams is still taking place and Burnaby A1 is hardly a competition.

Jansen Harkins was amazing last year and right now has 1 goal in 8 games for NW Giants. Not comparing the two, but your evaluation of the other Vipers will give me an indicator of what you consider to be elite and the strengths at this age level.

Let me know of your evaluations of the rest of the 1998 born Vancouver Vipers when you get a chance to see them.
True, but right now, it is only placement games and I'm juggling between viewing WHL, BCHL, BCMML, Bantam games and will soon be volunteering with a team. Not to mention, I do all this without a car (I take SkyTrains and buses, which means alot of walking and tranfers in the rain...). I live in downtown Vancouver so teams that are >1hr 30mins in travel time, I don't bother unless they are the visiting teams (or unless its the Seattle Thunderbirds).

I take what games I can

Once the season is full scheduled, I'll have a better idea on what I can watch.

Last edited by Circulartheory: 10-24-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old
10-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
True, but right now, it is only placement games and I'm juggling between viewing WHL, BCHL, BCMML, Bantam games and will soon be volunteering with a team. Not to mention, I do all this without a car (I take SkyTrains and buses, which means alot of walking and tranfers in the rain...). I live in downtown Vancouver so teams that are >1hr 30mins in travel time, I don't bother unless they are the visiting teams (or unless its the Seattle Thunderbirds).

I take what games I can

Once the season is full scheduled, I'll have a better idea on what I can watch.
The Burnaby Christmas tournament should be a good one to see almost everyone. I believe the welcome invite/package said it was the 50th anniversary of the tournament.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
The Burnaby Christmas tournament should be a good one to see almost everyone. I believe the welcome invite/package said it was the 50th anniversary of the tournament.
That sounds great...but...I recently moved from Hong Kong to Vancouver to be closer to hockey. But as much as I love hockey, family comes first and they are back home in HK.

Are there any other tournaments that aren't during Christmas? lol

Old
10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Capitals03

Medicine Hat

will be a good indication of where the players are at. Should be fun to bad they could not add more teams.

Last edited by Capitals03: 10-25-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: just because
Capitals03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

A short post on my viewing on the North Shore Winter Club @ Semiahmoo

Really not much, just short comments on Kwan, Anholt, Hannoun, and Jeffrey Stewart of Semiahmoo

http://hockeyprospecthandbook.blogsp...re-winter.html
Quote:
- Marcus Kwan is a player I really like. He could put on some muscle but he is mobile and likes to rush up. Rush up in the sense of either rushing up to join the play, rushing up to keep the puck in the offensive zone, or rushing up to make the big hit.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Jaeger White with 15 points today in a 23-0 win.

Mason10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post

They stopped counting the scoreboard (it was 6-0) and that shots were about 78-2...

Old
10-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post

if it was against Cloverdale then I would take little stock of it. Cloverdale A1 is going to move from Group 1 to Group 4. 1 goal for and 70 goals against in Group 1 is an indicator of the team level. To put it into perspective, Cloverdale A1 lost four games to four Group 3 teams to start October. They were simply in the wrong grouping to start the season.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:21 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
A short post on my viewing on the North Shore Winter Club @ Semiahmoo

Really not much, just short comments on Kwan, Anholt, Hannoun, and Jeffrey Stewart of Semiahmoo

http://hockeyprospecthandbook.blogsp...re-winter.html
Marcus has NCAA written all over him. A quick conversation with his parents (I was Marcus' grade 8 English teacher) should give WHL teams a good indication of his plans moving forward. Great personality and attitude on him as well. Glad to see he is still playing a strong offensive game.

I'm hoping he can find a way to develop more muscle and height going forward as the midget play will be quite the challenge for him.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:29 PM
ALI

vCash: 50
Kyle Dumba is not that good so don't expect too much of him just because he is matthews bro

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:34 AM
puck stoppa

Howden has a point per game playing Midget AAA as a 14 year old. He is playing on Eastman's top line and is playing quite well. Look for him to be a top 5 pick in the draft and being Howden's younger brother MJ may have some interest.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Capitals03

Goalies go up and down. All of them go thur good series and ones that they wish to forget.
Dumba is ranked pretty high based on his past performances. The hard part is knowing what are goods goals and what are bad goals. At the present time here are the top 5.
a few moved with in the group. But its not likely to change, These guys have all been here for awhile.

Kubic- Winn -Hawks
Shinner-Alberta-SSAC
Shugrue-BC -BWC
Marcoux-Alberta-Royals
Dumba-Alberta-Flames( was the Bronks last year)

all of these goalies are over 5'10 a few over 6'1.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:34 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Ryan Hall of the Winnipeg Monarchs is one to have a look at, hes playing his third year of AAA, Connor Bowey is a HM

Last edited by KingJet*: 11-10-2012 at 01:05 PM.
KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Capitals03

Will the Winnipeg Monarchs be in St Albert ? Calgary Bison's, SSAC, Notre Dame, Royals, Sherwood Park, BWC and NSWC. This should be a great tournament.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Alberta tough

I just saw the final of the Medicine Hat tournment between the Calgary Bisons and BWC. Standouts were White, Fabbro, and Barberis from BWC and the goaltender for the Bisons.
Tyler Benson was named MVP for the tournment.

Alberta tough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Capitals03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
I just saw the final of the Medicine Hat tournment between the Calgary Bisons and BWC. Standouts were White, Fabbro, and Barberis from BWC and the goaltender for the Bisons.
Tyler Benson was named MVP for the tournment.
How did SSAC do, Other web site , did not say anything about that game.
Was Benson way above everyone else ?

Old
11-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Capitals03

After the the past few tournaments. Here is the Ranking per BC only. No order.

Top 5 from Hockey Now

Forwards

Jost
Kryski
Hannoun
White
Malenstyn

Def

Fabbro
Barberis
Ginnetti
Rizzolo
Turanski

Goalies

Williams
Shugrue
Tellarico
Kelleway
Lange

Old
11-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Capitals03

AB ranking after past few tournaments

Here is Alberta no order just top 5 after November 21

Forward

Benson
Steel
Jevne
Phillips
Volcan

Def

Clague
Queenneville
McKinstry
Mahura
Johnson

Goalies

Skinner
Marcoux
Lorneson
Dumba
Sanders

Old
11-23-2012, 06:35 PM
ScoutingBC

Okay, time for my post-Medicine Hat revisions.
Not every player I’ll discuss was at that event, it just serves as a useful point in time to re-assess and re-jig my rankings.
As usual, I’ll rank 15 Forwards, 10 D-men, and 5 Goalies. (There’s just no point going any deeper.) And I’ll try to offer an intelligent word or two about each.

FORWARDS
1. Tyson Jost, POE. I think everyone is catching on about this player’s ability. Coaches Choice Award winner in the Hat.
2. Dante Hanoun, NSWC. Tremendous skill and intensity. A small-ish player with skill AND a physical edge … Gilbert Brule type?
3. Kody McDonald, POE. Has a wicked-quick release, good size, and plays very smart.
4. Jaeger White. Has definitely earned the rep of a pure goal-scorer. Still have questions about his vulnerability to physical play though.
5. Luke Gingras, Langley. Nice package of size and skill. A very strong future prospect, but hasn’t yet shown as well as I had expected.
6. Beck Malenstyn, OHA. This is a big move up on my F-chart. Has been the offensive heart of an OHA team that succeeds on solid Defensive play and Goaltending.
7. Tak Anholt, NSWC. Has shown more versatility than I’d noted before. Responsible two-way skill player.
8. Jake Kryski, BWC. Definitely has the hands but often over-handles the puck and fails to use other players.
9. Nathan McCarnan, Vcr Spirit. A rugged sniper who plays with speed and a physical edge. Hopefully we can see him against Flight 2 teams for the last half of the season.
10. Michael Regush, Semiahmoo. Needs to add some strength and some sandpaper, but his vision is unreal. The kind of player who makes linemates better.
11. Davis Koch, OHA. I’ve seen some impressive games, but others where he shows more potential than production. Has a tendency to play to the outside, needs to add grit.
12. Trevor Ayre, POE. Has been hampered by injuries, but all the essentials are there. Smart, responsible F who can distribute the puck and score when he gets a look.
13. Spencer Gerth, Langley. Big, strong young man who gives his all every shift. Needs to add quickness in the first strides.
14. Kyle Uy, BWC. Good straight-ahead speed. Good on the PK. Discipline is an issue, but that comes with the territory for agitating, aggressive players.
15. Owen Seidel, BWC. Has lots of skill but needs more drive-to-the-net in his game.

I'll post D-Men and 'Keepers shortly.

ScoutingBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:24 PM
ScoutingBC

DEFENCEMEN
1. Dante Fabbro, BWC. An exceptional, unusual package of talents in a Defenceman. Huge potential.
2. Matt Barberis, BWC. Tremendously dedicated and skilled. Occasionally picks the wrong spot for a big hit but love to see that he has the appetite for it.
3. Josh Anderson. Poised and skilled. Hopefully over the next month or so I can see more of his games.
4. Rizzolo, OHA. This was a big pick-up for Dixon Ward’s Academy. Solid, reliable D-man.
5. Stevenson, Hollyburn. There’s no denying the fundamentals are solidly in place. Just wish I could see him against Flight 1 or even Flight 2 teams. Maybe they’ll move up after the first half.
6. Cholowski, Langley. Starting to have some reservations about this player being in the elite category moving into Major Midget and Junior. Lack of size/strength seems to be the issue.
7. Ginetti. BWC … adequate skating but seems to panic under pressure of aggressive forecheck. Slow to move the puck.
8. Purhar, yet another from BWC … has an unusual “look” on the ice, often appears disinterested. Good speed though, but needs to add strength.
9. Georgopolous, Vcr Thunderbirds. The biggest move up on my D-chart. Has looked much better than what I saw in Spring hockey. Skating has improved and plays with a physical edge. Needs to improve puck-movement and discipline.
10. Turanski, good size and mobility … has more upside, I think, than he’s showing right now.

GOALIES
1. Brody Wilms, OHA. Has impressed me since the Super Series. Creates great width of coverage in his butterfly and is very strong on breakaways.
2. Nic Tallarico, Surrey. The most technically proficient goalie in the ’98 crop. Has quickness too, but lacks size and I’ve seen it hurt him especially in the tight scrum scenarios.
3. Josh Barrett, BWC A2. Yes A2. Some say it’s due to paperwork problems, others say Winter Club politics. Whatever the explanation, it is my opinion that BWC’s best goalie is on their A2 team. Good size and crease-speed, solid fundamentals. Needs to play the puck more.
4. Tyler Shugrue, BWC. Good size but plays from an extremely wide stance that opens the top of the net, and it also limits his lateral movement.
5. Jeremy Kelleway, Semi. Can run hot and cold – as he did in the Hat – and lacks size, but has natural athleticism and a great glove.

Now ... let the second-guessing begin!

Old
11-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Capitals03

Whom do you Scout for ? Asked before and did not get a answer. It would help your credit ability

Last edited by Capitals03: 11-23-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Capitals03

95% of the players are on the 3 other web sites that rank players. its not that hard to copy and paste.

No much to 2nd guessing. Still asking whom you Scout for. I think its fair, if you are going to rank these players you should at least put your name. As do the 3 other sites that rank players.

Since you brought it up. You ranked the goalies. You have one goalie that is NOT ranked on any of the 3 ranking sites that include BC. Not even in the TOP 20 of BC, and some how you have him as 3?? The others I have no issues with them or their comments. But this kid did play one game with the Bantam A1 team against Semi, as a try out, He had 9 shots the problem is 4 went in. That is why he is on the A2 team.He could have been on the A3 team. but he does have size. Not paperwork or any other excuse you might have.
I will not give you my opinion , because it really does not matter. only the facts. He has not played against real top teams, Flight 2 in PCAHA is not Dallas Sanders Tournament or St Albert.. You can't rank goalies that play against Medicine Hat, Calgary Sabre's, etc. and the ones that play against Whistler, or Port Moody. Unless you post your name , your comment is pointless, since you are stating you are a scout. Lange,Spark ,Mills, Outhouse and Grant are all on A1 Teams and deserve credit and are very good goalies.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
ScoutingBC

I come back to see that I’ve ruffled someone’s feathers.

“95% of the players are on the three other web sites that rank players. Its not that hard to copy and paste.”
Just cuz that’s all you do, Capitals03?

Among my brief little comments do you see some line that I’ve copied from some “other list”? No, you don’t. As you can tell - from my previous posts and goalie rankings - I don’t care one iota about being in line with “other lists” or what other scouts say. I do not scout by remote-control. And I certainly don’t rely on the selections of minor hockey Coaches to inform or validate my assessment of talent and potential. My role is to identify talent wherever it is, without respect to Flight or Association or a Coach’s decision or Championships won.

And of course 95% of the players on my list are on other lists. I’ve only listed the Top 15 Forwards, Top 10 D, and Top 5 Keepers. Are you really surprised that there is consensus as to who is among the cream-of-the-crop? That said, the hidden prospects and the hunches are what real scouts are for.

As for my CV, the good people I work with might recognize my prose, though I can’t imagine them ever looking here. Besides, I’m not going to broadcast the fact that I give away for free what they reward me so handsomely for (LOL). And I certainly don’t want to get approached by parents over some remark – good or bad - that I might post about their son.

As for the #3 goalie on my list, I am probably more certain of his "potential" as a “prospect” than the other four keepers I mentioned. I’ll try to post more on that later.