HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Brett Hull vs. Steven Stamkos

Old
10-24-2012, 04:05 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

vCash: 500
Hull. Only time will tell if Stamkos is better.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:47 AM
ot92s

they are both two of a very , very small group of top shelf snipers. carbon copies.

hull's getting a bad rap with the speed though. He had plenty of god given speed, definitely as fast as stammer and as strong on the puck.

haha, conditioning they are night and day though...

barring injury stammer, i would bet, will outproduce hull's career numbers even if he doesn't reach that 78adjusted goal pinnacle hull put up with st. louis. and that's saying a lot.

I love hull's game, always liked his on-ice body language too, but i'll take stammer based on the added dimension of giving a s@#$ about conditioning.

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Big Phil

Let's get one thing straight here: Hull didn't have blinding speed the way Stamkos does. Maybe there is a bit of revisionist history here but Hull had what I would describe as "capable" skating ability. He wasn't slow, he wasn't Mike Gartner either.

What got Hull those goals is his positioning, his shot and the velocity of his shot. Nothing wrong with that at all, but Hull wasn't winning any speed skating contests either.

As for him ever surpassing Hull I think it is possible but we all know just how few all-time greats maintain their goal scoring prowess. Even the best ones of all time lasted just a while on top. Ovechkin about 4-5 years ago had similar threads to the ones we say about Stamkos now. There was talk that he could break Gretzky's goal record because no one could imagine a time when he would stop scoring at breakneck speed. But it happens and it'll happen to Stamkos maybe even as early as his late 20s. It is incredibly hard to maintain 50 goal seasons year after year, regardless of era.

Right now Hull is comfortably the better player, goal scorer and clutch goal scorer. I say comfortable because Stamkos' worth and production is at a standstill right now with the lockout.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:55 PM
ot92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Let's get one thing straight here: Hull didn't have blinding speed the way Stamkos does.
haha yeah, i was giving hull a little too much credit there saying he could keep up with stammer's speed but the point i wanted to make was that hull was certainly no slug out there as he's made out to be.

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote