HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Rank these more or less unrelated players!

Old
10-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Johnny Engine

vCash: 500
Rank these more or less unrelated players!

Alain Cote
Ron Duguay
Andre "Moose" Dupont
Al Iafrate
Mike Krushelnyski
Gary Leeman
Marty McSorley
Sergio Momesso
Rick Middleton
Stephane Richer
Matt Stairs

The best player here should be blindingly obvious, and one guy isn't even a hockey player, but there should be some interesting debate and contention with the in-the-middle guys, as they're a diverse group!

*Anyone who is confused by this: I work in radio, and just got this roster today as an advertisement for an NHL alumni game in Torbay, NL. I wonder if Matt Stairs is the goalie for this team?

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:18 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Matt Stairs AINEC

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
*Anyone who is confused by this: I work in radio, and just got this roster today as an advertisement for an NHL alumni game in Torbay, NL. I wonder if Matt Stairs is the goalie for this team?
I'm glad that you gave us some context at least.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:34 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Alain Cote
Ron Duguay
Andre "Moose" Dupont
Al Iafrate
Mike Krushelnyski
Gary Leeman
Marty McSorley
Sergio Momesso
Rick Middleton
Stephane Richer
Matt Stairs

The best player here should be blindingly obvious, and one guy isn't even a hockey player, but there should be some interesting debate and contention with the in-the-middle guys, as they're a diverse group!

I have to look at it from an ATD standpoint, as in, in what order would I select them if I was in a competitive team-building draft. Which is, to me, more or less a proxy for a “best players of all-time” list.

1. Rick Middleton (obviously)
2. Al Iafrate (great peak and incredible set of skills, ranked higher among defensemen in his career than the next guy did at his position)
3. Andre Dupont (a very valuable defenseman for a decent length of time – was a member of the Flyers’ top-4 for years, and they all played about the same 22 minutes for years, with little exceptions. They also did a lot of vote splitting for all-stars and Norris)
4. Stephane Richer (surprisingly little substance, I don’t think his best 6 seasons even match up to Petr Sykora’s! but he does have that two-time 50-goal peak)

(it’s interesting that the next four guys all fit into the same tight tier!)

5. Marty McSorley. (I see him as a great MLD spare. a legitimate player who was also a heavyweight fighter. Played wing and defense. Surprisingly respectable offense, and for an 8-year streak was a top-4 defenseman including three years as #1-2, and once led the NHL in +/- and got a few all-star votes. Signed a contract that mae him the NHL’s 16th-highest paid player in the summer of 1993)
6. Ron Duguay (I see him as a great MLD spare, too. Played C and RW. Had a good scoring peak that makes him a decent scorer on an all-time level, and was also known as a good checker, physical player, and matchup defensive guy thanks to his size. A bit inconsistent, though, which is why you wouldn’t want him to do it game in, game out)
7. Mike Krushelnyski (slightly poor man’s Duguay. Gives a lot up offensively, but a little better defensively – overall his results are closer than their visible skills would indicate thanks to his lunchpail play and Duguay’s inconsistency)
8. Gary Leeman (a poor MLD scorer but he keeps getting put in that role. Makes a “passable” MLD spare simply because as a natural defenseman he can drop back there in a pinch)
9. Sergio Momesso. (ugliest/meanest looking player ever. Inconsistent but a decent secondary scorer and secondary checker, kind of a Shjon Podein with a prettier name and uglier face)
10. Alain Cote (he’s been on my radar for super late A/B level picks before but I never got to the point of drafting him. I wouldn’t go as far as calling him a “scrub”. Good penalty killer and defensive forward.
11. Matt Stairs (I guess because he’s not a hockey player, LOL!)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:56 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Matt Stairs AINEC

FWIW, he's now coaching high school hockey in Fredericton, New Brunswick.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:01 PM
seventieslord

Mike Farkas and MS are in this thread! I always look forward to what they have to say; hopefully they post a list...

Old
10-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

I like seventieslord's list, with a couple of tweaks...

Middleton
Iafrate
Dupont
McSorley
Richer
Krushelnyski
Duguay
Momesso
Leeman
Stairs
Cote

After the top 4 there's lot of guys here with two or three good seasons followed by (and/or preceded by) several seasons of okay.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Scott1980

Middleton, very, very shifty!

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:48 AM
tony d
The man

1) Middleton
2) Iafrate
3) Dupont
4) Richer
5) Mcsorley
6) Duguay
7) Krushelnyski
8) Leeman
9) Momesso
10) Cote
11) Stairs

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

1) Middleton
2) Iafrate
3) Richer
4) Dupont
5) Duguay
6) Mcsorely
7) Krushelnyski
8) Leeman
9) Momesso
10) Stairs

PS Not sure which Alain Cote it is, so he's not ranked

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Big Phil

Can anyone make a case AGAINST Middleton? I can't but if someone wants to give it a whirl go ahead. Has gotten some support around here for the HHOF while the others wouldn't even get mentioned on a bribe.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Trying to find out more about some of the better non-star players from the 80s and early 90s so I like this thread.

How would Sylvain Turgeon rank here?

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:52 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Trying to find out more about some of the better non-star players from the 80s and early 90s so I like this thread.

How would Sylvain Turgeon rank here?
decent scorer for a short time. For sure I wouldn't take a more honest, multidimensional player like Krushelnyski over him.

I thought hard about whether I'd go with Leeman over him and I decided I would. Leeman was just as strong a scorer, with the exact same PPG over a slightly shorter time - though Leeman's was a bit higher using adjusted numbers. Adding that he proved to be a better playoff scorer and contributed to the cup, and had at least the ability to play D in a pinch, and though I'd still call him mostly one-dimensional, was more competitive than Turgeon. Basically four small advantages add up to a win. I'd place Turgeon just below Leeman.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:15 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Alain Cote
Ron Duguay
Andre "Moose" Dupont
Al Iafrate
Mike Krushelnyski
Gary Leeman
Marty McSorley
Sergio Momesso
Rick Middleton
Stephane Richer
Matt Stairs

Stairs played hockey before he went full time to baseball

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote