HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
10-24-2012, 03:52 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'm surprised it happened this quick. And with such secrecy. And I think it's a great move too. Nassau County had their shot, more than enough of them. Couldn't get it done.

Brooklyn is becoming kind of an in-thing again. This will be exciting to watch unfold.
Not sure how "quick" this really was. If I was a betting man I'd say these wheels have been in motion since the referendum for the new Coliseum was defeated last August.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:54 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I think, like the Nets, they'll re-brand everything except the name. New logo, new uniforms, new colors. The works.

Wang pretty much said that wouldnt be the case.

Expect a new shoulder patch or slightly less awful 3rd jersey at most. Maybe a tweak to the logo by including the whole of Long Island on it as opposed to just Nassau and Suffolk.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Not sure how "quick" this really was. If I was a betting man I'd say these wheels have been in motion since the referendum for the new Coliseum was defeated last August.
We knew they were looking around, but we're still 3 years out. We've had some teams in pro sports not know what building they'd be playing in the next season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Wang pretty much said that wouldnt be the case.

Expect a new shoulder patch or slightly less awful 3rd jersey at most. Maybe a tweak to the logo by including the whole of Long Island on it as opposed to just Nassau and Suffolk.
that should be easy to do...

but if RBK is invloved in any way, forget about it - it will be typical RBK template and regurgitated jersey and logo garbage

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
drosennhl 10:44am via TweetDeck
Wang: "The lease that is signed is iron clad, we have 25 years with the Barclays Center."
Because the last long-term deal he signed turned out so well...

Get "Brooklyn" into the name, and onto the jerseys, and I'll happily buy one.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
... I'd love it if they revived the old Brooklyn Americans logo & sweater design. One of the best to ever hit the ice, but, BUT I'd prefer they do that as a 3rd jersey and slowly roll it into being their primary uniform over 5yrs or so. I mean, think about this; the Islanders only created to block the WHA in the first place yet despite that, successful, but not successful enough that their "mini-dynasty" and the players who made it happen largely forgotten & disrespected. Sandwiched in between the powerhouse Habs', up-start & brash Oilers teams of Gretzky & Messier.... Im happy and sad at the same time over this development. How long before Wang sells out completely you figure?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Because the last long-term deal he signed turned out so well...

Yes, because Wang signed that deal with SMG (sarcasm). He did manage to get it modified later on, but SMG is way, way, way before his time.

Brooklyn probably wanted a tenant full time as well and didn't want to be used as a tool. Both sides probably did not want an out clause that would create controversy.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:35 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
that should be easy to do...

but if RBK is invloved in any way, forget about it - it will be typical RBK template and regurgitated jersey and logo garbage
rumors are that Bauer(who recently purchased athletic apparel manufacturer Inaria) will be making a push to become the official uniform supplier when ccm/reebok's deal ends in 2015(or 16 or thereabouts). perfect timing for a new third jersey, but hopefully no major changes to the current regular ones.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:37 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... I'd love it if they revived the old Brooklyn Americans logo & sweater design. One of the best to ever hit the ice, but, BUT I'd prefer they do that as a 3rd jersey and slowly roll it into being their primary uniform over 5yrs or so. I mean, think about this; the Islanders only created to block the WHA in the first place yet despite that, successful, but not successful enough that their "mini-dynasty" and the players who made it happen largely forgotten & disrespected. Sandwiched in between the powerhouse Habs', up-start & brash Oilers teams of Gretzky & Messier.... Im happy and sad at the same time over this development. How long before Wang sells out completely you figure?
imo, that jersey idea would be perfect as a winter classic jersey.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:40 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
wht most of you posters are forgetting, even when it's pointed out, multiple times is nothing has changed w/ the Islanders.... the Nets are the one franchise that has no true history even in NY, Does any one here remember that Julius Erving wasn't always a 76er, look back at the history of the Nets,and why they are BROOKLYN...

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
imo, that jersey idea would be perfect as a winter classic jersey.
... its an absolute classic, beautifully designed. Washington tried to some extent to replicate it, as did Rochester of the AHL (and did a decent job of it) but that "Brooklyn" or even "New York" Americans is one Hell of a piece of fashion genius. Timeless. Bring it on I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
wht most of you posters are forgetting, even when it's pointed out, multiple times is nothing has changed w/ the Islanders.... the Nets are the one franchise that has no true history even in NY, Does any one here remember that Julius Erving wasn't always a 76er, look back at the history of the Nets,and why they are BROOKLYN...
... HUTCH, your going to have to translate this here post cuz I have no idea what point you are trying to make or what it is that Im "missing"?. I dont follow the NBA, not a BB fan at all, only reading shots in the press by members of the media & the Nets fan base targeting Brett Yormark... who's Twin Brother as you know is employed by the Florida Panthers in a similar capacity. Doing a Hell of a job btw. Papering the joint with sponsors. What are you saying, suggesting?

Old
10-24-2012, 04:52 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

So how do Islander's fans feel about this? Seems to be the best of a bad situation, no? I mean, you technically still get to keep the Isles, all the while moving a short distance to remain viable.

Any Isle fans not liking this move? If so, why?

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:04 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So how do Islander's fans feel about this? Seems to be the best of a bad situation, no? I mean, you technically still get to keep the Isles, all the while moving a short distance to remain viable.

I think it's mixed. Most fans are just relieved they are staying local, but some are upset Wang could not get a deal worked out with the county, see a move anywhere as a blow to the franchise.

Potvin's reaction sums it up for them.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-Brooklyn.html
When The Hockey News informed legendary New York Islanders defenseman Denis Potvin that his only NHL franchise would be relocating to Brooklyn, N.Y. in 2015, the Hockey Hall-of-Famer grew more melancholy as the news settled in.

The more I think about this, the more it makes me sad.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightGraham View Post
They can't be the Islanders if they don't play in Long Island.

They should call them the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Even if they played in Manhattan, they could still be called the Islanders.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

It would have been better news if Wang had realized which way the wind was blowing and got involved BEFORE the Barclay Center was built. I've always believed that Brooklyn was best place for the Islanders to go. I just wish it was a better arena for them to go to...

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

I hope they retain their name and and colors. I'd hate for them to become the Brooklyn Americans and not honor their past...yeah they've been bad for a while, but those early 80s teams are worth remembering.

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:24 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
I hope they retain their name and and colors. I'd hate for them to become the Brooklyn Americans and not honor their past...yeah they've been bad for a while, but those early 80s teams are worth remembering.
There will be no change to the name or the logo. It has already been reported and confirmed.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Yes, because Wang signed that deal with SMG (sarcasm).
Dee

Pee

Etro.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... I think it would prudent to take a Deep Breath, think this thing through and consider the old axiom "you dont know what youve got til its gone". This announcement though valid & quite real, without ink on paper, could be "last call" for Nassau County to "wake the eff up". A done-deal in words only.

Wang is infamous for pulling stuff like this. Always dramatic. When he ran ComputerAssociates he'd gather the employee's of CA's latest acquisition in a Ballroom, demand every employee take a pay cut & sign non-disclosures. If they didnt do so, "theres the door". Beefy Security Guards employed to usher out the unwilling.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:44 PM
TwistedWrister90

It's good the Isles are keeping their logo and everything, but I just looked up the Brooklyn Americans logo and Killion is right, those would be some badass jerseys.

Instant rivalry with the Canadiens?

Someone on the Hawks board posted an Isles logo with the skyline of Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge instead of Long Island. Thought it looked pretty good.

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:53 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
... I think it would prudent to take a Deep Breath, think this thing through and consider the old axiom "you dont know what youve got til its gone". This announcement though valid & quite real, without ink on paper, could be "last call" for Nassau County to "wake the eff up". A done-deal in words only.

Wang is infamous for pulling stuff like this. Always dramatic. When he ran ComputerAssociates he'd gather the employee's of CA's latest acquisition in a Ballroom, demand every employee take a pay cut & sign non-disclosures. If they didnt do so, "theres the door". Beefy Security Guards employed to usher out the unwilling.
Do you really think this is the case? Would Michael Bloomberg, Markowitz, Bruce Ratner and Brett Yormark allow themselves to be used as pawns in negotiations with Nassau County? I have a hard time believing that.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:14 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Umm...

Why WOULDN'T they re-make the jerseys? It's an excellent opportunity to make some serious revenue off merchandising that they would not otherwise have. They may wait a couple years, but they'll definitely be updating the jerseys (That Brooklyn Bridge logo looks awesome). They haven't been afraid to mess with their classic logo in the past, no reason to think they will now. I'm sure the name and colour scheme will remain, but there is bound to be a re-release of the jersey.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:17 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Makes sense, considering the comments out of Seattle (a definitive "No way the Islanders leave that market").

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Best of a bad situation is apt. I'd prefer a shorter lease, or a 10-year out clause "in the event a new, NHL arena is built in Nassau County."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
It would have been better news if Wang had realized which way the wind was blowing and got involved BEFORE the Barclay Center was built. I've always believed that Brooklyn was best place for the Islanders to go. I just wish it was a better arena for them to go to...
The fact that Barclays isn't an NHL-ready arena has nothing to do with Wang's ignorance and a lack of communication between him and Ratner. The original plans for Barclays was for an NHL-ready arena. They weren't planning on a FOURTH NHL team in the market. The only reason to include the rink was the Islanders.

Ratner didn't have all the financing for the original project in place, and some of his other funding would be lost if he didn't get a shovel in the ground, so they drew up a new plan for what they could afford and cut out the NHL part.

At the time, the Lighthouse was alive, so while Wang could encourage NHL capability, he wasn't going to help finance Ratner's competing project.

Quote:

I woke up (in California) to a slew of texts and tweets from the east coast about this. And I thought "This is a total show to get Nassau off their butts. But when they announced a 25-year lease, you knew it was serious and they were cutting bait on the County. There MAY be an out-clause, but there's no way they're going to commit to any structural changes for hockey at Barclays if the Islanders can easily go back to NC.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
Just to put this aside, because this sentiment keeps resurfacing (and I agree with it), the Islanders have confirmed they will remain the "New York Islanders."

Echoes of 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:27 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Umm...

Why WOULDN'T they re-make the jerseys? It's an excellent opportunity to make some serious revenue off merchandising that they would not otherwise have. They may wait a couple years, but they'll definitely be updating the jerseys (That Brooklyn Bridge logo looks awesome). They haven't been afraid to mess with their classic logo in the past, no reason to think they will now. I'm sure the name and colour scheme will remain, but there is bound to be a re-release of the jersey.
The new jersey will obviously be the same design but in black and white. 3rd jersey will use shades of grey.

wildthing202 is offline   Reply With Quote