HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The inevitable question: Now that the Islanders have an arena....

Old
10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

vCash: 500
The inevitable question: Now that the Islanders have an arena....

....will they be a team that attracts free agents?
And even more in depth, will free agents come in the next two offseasons or wait until the offseason before the move (2015-2016)?

Discuss....

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:30 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
And even more in depth, will free agents come in the next two offseasons or wait until the offseason before the move (2015-2016)?

Discuss....
I don't think the arena would ever be part of the reason for not coming. It seems like something you would add in after the decision "oh I guess their arena isn't that great either"

The competitiveness of the team is the biggest factor.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:

Discuss....
It doesn't matter about their arena, or else Leafs would have gotten a helluva lot of top FAs.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:35 PM
TurdFerguson

It's a bit of a chicken-egg thing. Hopefully the arena attracts fans, and then endorsements come along, and then players come along for the money. Either way, you gotta like their chances better at this new arena.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Well there is an old saying. "If you build it they will come." So who knows maybe it will.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:55 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post
I don't think the arena would ever be part of the reason for not coming. It seems like something you would add in after the decision "oh I guess their arena isn't that great either"

The competitiveness of the team is the biggest factor.
Well reportedly, the Isles offered Paul Martin and Dan Humhuis a huge amount of money but both them declinded due to the arena and its future. The arena was always the biggest concern.
You need to get key players to help the young guys out. The younger players need to build around someone(s).

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Scurr

The building helps but if the Islanders want to become an attractive destination, they need to win and start running that team in a more professional manner.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:29 PM
patrick

It can only help.

And offering a top line winger the opportunity to flank Tavares in a brand new state of the art arena will also help. Great day for the Isles fans. A bit bittersweet as I love the old barn and the best sightlines in the league. But I'd rather take the train to see a team that can compete in Brooklyn than drive to a loss and a drippy ceiling in the NVMC.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Well reportedly, the Isles offered Paul Martin and Dan Humhuis a huge amount of money but both them declinded due to the arena and its future. The arena was always the biggest concern.
You need to get key players to help the young guys out. The younger players need to build around someone(s).
They may have just been polite. You may not have noticed but both of them ended up signing with contenders so they may have been thinking more about winning.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:08 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

If the Isles want to attract UFA's, they need to start winning - plain and simple. That will solve that problem. The arena just eliminates a possible excuse.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:11 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
I'm sure the free agents are just lining up to get paid minimum wage.

In all seriousness though, I'd think the question would sooner be "Will Wang spend above the cap floor with an arena?"

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:17 PM
No Need To Vanek

I think we will have Tavares play the role of Deron Williams ala the Nets, being the recruiter.

No Need To Vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:37 PM
eastonhockey22*

If I was a young, ultra rich, super successful athlete i'd much rather live in brooklyn/manhattan/queens than Nassau. Just my opinion haha.

eastonhockey22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:46 PM
candyman82

If a great arena attracted free agents, the Blue Jackets would be in great shape.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:07 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I'm not sure how much having a NEW arena will help the Isles recruit players, but I can guarantee that being in Brooklyn will most definitely help in that regards. Nassau isn't exactly big-city-bright-lights.

Being located in Brooklyn will be the big plus for the Isles to use as a recruiting tool: they're out of deep suburbia and into the heart of NYC. For any player who loves the nightlife & amenities that one of the most exciting cities in the world can offer, the Isles just IMMEDIATELY became a very tantalizing destination. The arena is secondary, IMO. The LOCATION is massive.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

You know what helps to attract free agents? Winning.

Also money..

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
JHabs61

What do you mean?

They signed big name UFA Brad Boyes, and Marty Reasoner the year before.

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Habitant le colon

Now you can have Subban !!!

Actually Isle desrve a better fate and a winning team I do think that this center will help largely this team to be well mediated and become a good attraction for players but I wonder how long this would last !

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:09 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

We're not going to see anything until 2015, when the team is hopefully sold to Ratner/Prokhorov.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Bryzard of Oz

While the location might attract a few, the biggest thing is obviously icing a competitive team. Stability helps as well. In the past few years there we nothing but questions surrounding the team. Would they get a new arena, would they move? With those cleared up, the team immediately become more attractive

Bryzard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:08 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
If I was a young, ultra rich, super successful athlete i'd much rather live in brooklyn/manhattan/queens than Nassau. Just my opinion haha.
you have apparently never been to the north shore of Nassau, LI. Absolutely beautiful homes and area.

The arena will hopefully bring in more customers will will hopefully bring in more money which will hopefully be spent on a better team.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:11 PM
GSG1165

I think it helps a lot. Look, it might even have an advantage over the Rangers regarding those sought-after 2nd to 3rd line guys.

An example, Chris Neil. I recall hearing (from Neil or his agent, IIRC), that he was offered a 4 year, $9.2m deal from the Rangers in 2009 as a UFA. That's barely enough to live on in Manhatten! But Brooklyn... (He signed for $8m in Ottawa).

GSG1165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Crede777
Deputized

First, the free agent market isn't what it used to be.

Second, I will readily admit that I don't know much about the Islanders right now. My impression was that Wang was the problem with signing free agents, not the arena.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Numbers

I for one am thrilled to hear the news, and no I am not an Islanders fan by any means. Whenever good news appearss for a struggling franchise it is good news for the NHL as a whole. Congrats to the team and fans! Though I know some will be disappointed because they need to travel farther, but I really think down the road this is going to make them a much better franchise.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:38 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'm not sure how much having a NEW arena will help the Isles recruit players, but I can guarantee that being in Brooklyn will most definitely help in that regards. Nassau isn't exactly big-city-bright-lights.

Being located in Brooklyn will be the big plus for the Isles to use as a recruiting tool: they're out of deep suburbia and into the heart of NYC. For any player who loves the nightlife & amenities that one of the most exciting cities in the world can offer, the Isles just IMMEDIATELY became a very tantalizing destination. The arena is secondary, IMO. The LOCATION is massive.

Just curious, but what makes you think the Players that want that already don't live downtown and take the train out to Long Island to begin with?

Sure they will be closer, but it isn't like they could not have already been living outside of right next to the arena. Most of the Wings live upwards of at least 20 to 30 minutes commute from the Joe Louis.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote