HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
I see a lot of people talking about a name change. And while I personally agree, they should change the name, they're not going to. I've lived in Brooklyn my entire life, and besides for the NYI, I don't associate myself as an "Islander." But the owner has already said they aren't changing the name, logo or colors.

They really should alter the logo to include Brooklyn & Queens though. You can't have your logo be a map of where you play, and where you actually play isn't on that map. But whatever.

Thrilled they're remaining in the area.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Talk about desperate. The Islanders must be the only team that would actually move to an arena that only sits 14,500 for hockey. Don't even start with me about Winnipeg, completely different scenario. They still won't sell out.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Talk about desperate. The Islanders must be the only team that would actually move to an arena that only sits 14,500 for hockey. Don't even start with me about Winnipeg, completely different scenario. They still won't sell out.
When why does the capacity matter?

Old
10-24-2012, 05:12 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
At the end of the day the team wasn't staying in Long Island...so considering the options were Kansas City or Canada or wherever else, most Islander fans are happy to have their team remain nearby. It's making the best out of a bad situation.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:18 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post

All the petty bickering about if Brooklyn is or isn't on the Island is arguing about semantics. When I was in Australia I had a hamburger. It was ham, not beef. (It sure was odd!) But, who has that wrong? Who has that right? Well, down on the menu was a portion for "beefburgers"...so...there's that!
Where was this (genuinely curious). I've never seen a hamburger with anything except beef in it...

On topic (yet still Australian focused) I always find it interesting that there is so much concern over how much support teams in NYC can get when two of them are close to each other. The city and surrounds are freaking huge, how hard can it be to find 15000 people to attend an event.

While I know ticket costs are (vastly) different, my home town with a metro population of approx 3.3m has 2 x soccer teams 2 x rugby teams (different codes) and 10 x aussie footy teams (more than half the national league). All of them play in the top league in the country and they all manage to co-exist rather peacefully. Surely 3 hockey teams in the NYC area isn't a massive issue?

Old
10-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
When why does the capacity matter?
Because it's a 25 year lease. I don't expect the team to suck for more than another 5 years. When the bandwagon grows, 14,500 seats will kill them.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Because it's a 25 year lease. I don't expect the team to suck for more than another 5 years. When the bandwagon grows, 14,500 seats will kill them.
Tru dat. Plus people are getting fatter, so what fits 14,500 now may not in 15 years.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
At the end of the day the team wasn't staying in Long Island...so considering the options were Kansas City or Canada or wherever else, most Islander fans are happy to have their team remain nearby. It's making the best out of a bad situation.
I understand that. Although this is a business and from a business standpoint, taking the Barclays Center was a much worse option for a team that will be competitive in no more than 5 years, as they signed a 25 year lease. Eventually they'll sell out and will be very sad that they can only fit 14,500 in the barn.

Although I'm also looking at it from the standpoint of a non-Islander fan. In terms of fan loyalty, it was the best move they could've made and I'd be very happy if I was an Isles fan that they're not going to Kansas City or Canada.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:23 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Didn't the Devils think the same thing?
Well, to be fair, I don't think the Debbies' move to Newark was entirely about more access to Manhattan.

Where they were in E. Rutherford, they were highly inaccessible even to the people in North Jersey.

Now that they are playing in a transit hub like Newark, it's still better than the situation they left behind because they are more visible to more economic opportunity in NJ's largest city.

To be honest, the Debbies do really well for an NHL team in a city whose population is only appromixately 1/4 White.

Last edited by BwayBshirt: 10-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 05:37 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I think one news article said they are going to add 500-700 seats for hockey by the time the islanders are ready to start playing there.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:47 PM
bernmeister

I think I'm the first to bring this up, if someone did before and I overlooked it, no insult intended...

Do the Rangers have the right to demand compensation from the Isles for entering their territory? And if so, what could that be?

Precedent: I believe it was the Colorado franchise that moved into the metropolitan NYC area, closest to NYC, forcing the surrender of Barry ([Bill Chadwick:] "just shoot the puck, Barry") Beck to be provided as compensation upon that franchise becoming the Devils.

Now another (expansion) franchise wants to enter our territory, and it LITERALLY is within the boundaries of NYC! This is even more of an encroachment and a potential poaching of the fan base and the $$$ resources that literally come with the territory!!

So can anyone advise why there is no good reason, especially given this precedent, for the Rangers to demand that, upon this official move actually being realized in the future, that our club would not be entitled, of right, to compensation?

I would say fair compensation would be Tavares as down payment, and the NYR with right to swap first round draft picks for 10 years!

Want to see what everybody says before this gets moved to the big board.
Real world calls.
Will catch up with y'all tomorrow.

regards

Old
10-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I think I'm the first to bring this up, if someone did before and I overlooked it, no insult intended...

Do the Rangers have the right to demand compensation from the Isles for entering their territory? And if so, what could that be?

Precedent: I believe it was the Colorado franchise that moved into the metropolitan NYC area, closest to NYC, forcing the surrender of Barry ([Bill Chadwick:] "just shoot the puck, Barry") Beck to be provided as compensation upon that franchise becoming the Devils.

Now another (expansion) franchise wants to enter our territory, and it LITERALLY is within the boundaries of NYC! This is even more of an encroachment and a potential poaching of the fan base and the $$$ resources that literally come with the territory!!

So can anyone advise why there is no good reason, especially given this precedent, for the Rangers to demand that, upon this official move actually being realized in the future, that our club would not be entitled, of right, to compensation?

I would say fair compensation would be Tavares as down payment, and the NYR with right to swap first round draft picks for 10 years!

Want to see what everybody says before this gets moved to the big board.
Real world calls.
Will catch up with y'all tomorrow.

regards
Hockey Insider is reporting it will be Tavares, Incarcerated Bob says Moulson and 2 firsts, so we'll have to wait and see.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:52 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Hockey Insider is reporting it will be Tavares, Incarcerated Bob says Moulson and 2 firsts, so we'll have to wait and see.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:15 PM
RangerBlues

So Islanders is no longer appropriate.
So lets try some new ones.

NY Interlopers
NY Carpetbaggers
Long Island Economic Refugees

Old
10-24-2012, 06:20 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
But hereís a bigger reason why Islander fans might find the small size of the Barclays Center problematic. Chances are that ticket prices for games in Brooklyn could end up being among the most expensive in the NHL.

With a reduced capacity, the team may be forced to charge a steep price in order to keep up with NHL economics, even after a reduction in the playersí share of Hockey Related Revenue to 50-50 and even if the owners succeed in enacting other measures to keep salaries down through restrictions on individual contracting.

The Islandersí average ticket price last season was $49.06, which ranked 20th in the league (according to Team Marketing Report figures supplied by Hooked on Hockey). The Nassau Coliseumís capacity is actually the second smallest in the NHL, but the demand is also very low. Again, some of that is the bad building and some of that is the teamís bad play. And we can add a third element to the reason why the price was so low: Long Islandís regional economic picture is not what it once was, and tickets are priced accordingly.
http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2012/10/...-fans-wallets/

Pay up boys. Shiny new building in NYC. Brooklyn is part of NYC. Its not Long Island. It will cost the same small fortune it costs going to Rangers games.

Winnipeg has the 2nd highest ticket prices in the NHL. Smaller capacity. They charge more.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Pay up boys. Shiny new building in NYC. Brooklyn is part of NYC. Its not Long Island. It will cost the same small fortune it costs going to Rangers games.

Winnipeg has the 2nd highest ticket prices in the NHL. Smaller capacity. They charge more.
Everything will cost more than at NVMC. Food, beer, parking, etc.

10-24-2012, 06:59 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
I understand that. Although this is a business and from a business standpoint, taking the Barclays Center was a much worse option for a team that will be competitive in no more than 5 years, as they signed a 25 year lease. Eventually they'll sell out and will be very sad that they can only fit 14,500 in the barn.

Although I'm also looking at it from the standpoint of a non-Islander fan. In terms of fan loyalty, it was the best move they could've made and I'd be very happy if I was an Isles fan that they're not going to Kansas City or Canada.
And if the NHL, a 3.3 billion dollar business, agreed with you, then the Islanders would have left. So nice way to put an entirely negative spin on the situation.

The Islanders could be looking at it like.. hey, now when we call the best free agent on July 1st, not only does he not hang up, we have just a good a chance as anybody else. And maybe, if said free agent lands, we could actually get good again. And maybe then, being in a borough with 2.3 million people, we could build on what is left from the Islanders in Nassau and market the Islanders like we do the Nets.

That's called business. The Islanders were never leaving the NYC area, and that was something Bettman made clear dozens of times, yet nobody listened.

The potential for the Islanders in Brooklyn is substantial, hence why this deal went down today.

Why does it have to be anything more then that? Don't you think it would be GOOD for NY hockey if the Islanders could become relevant? Maybe it would be good for hockey, period? Truth is, you could care less what's good for hockey.

Back in 2001, everyone conviniently forget that Wang challenged the biggest spenders in the league to get the Islanders back into the playoff picture. Everyone paints Wang as a criminal, but he has invested a ton of money in the Islanders, and obviously is still interested in them considering he didn't just sell them off. Maybe, just maybe, Wang is excited to get back to spending and not worry about spending with zero corporate support and potential for business growth.

I think there's a very good chance Wang opens the wallet next summer.

These things matter, yanno.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Kershaw

I know Islander fans mocked us for being corporate suites, but this will largely benefit them. 14.5k attendance is irrelevant if you have corporations funding, attending and sponsoring games/box seats.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:55 PM
varanger94

What will happen to the Nassau Coliseum

Now that the Islanders are moving to Brooklyn, Nassau Coliseum will be utilized by the County, to bring about the most good

Old
10-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbour View Post
And if the NHL, a 3.3 billion dollar business, agreed with you, then the Islanders would have left. So nice way to put an entirely negative spin on the situation.

The Islanders could be looking at it like.. hey, now when we call the best free agent on July 1st, not only does he not hang up, we have just a good a chance as anybody else. And maybe, if said free agent lands, we could actually get good again. And maybe then, being in a borough with 2.3 million people, we could build on what is left from the Islanders in Nassau and market the Islanders like we do the Nets.

That's called business. The Islanders were never leaving the NYC area, and that was something Bettman made clear dozens of times, yet nobody listened.

The potential for the Islanders in Brooklyn is substantial, hence why this deal went down today.

Why does it have to be anything more then that? Don't you think it would be GOOD for NY hockey if the Islanders could become relevant? Maybe it would be good for hockey, period? Truth is, you could care less what's good for hockey.

Back in 2001, everyone conviniently forget that Wang challenged the biggest spenders in the league to get the Islanders back into the playoff picture. Everyone paints Wang as a criminal, but he has invested a ton of money in the Islanders, and obviously is still interested in them considering he didn't just sell them off. Maybe, just maybe, Wang is excited to get back to spending and not worry about spending with zero corporate support and potential for business growth.

I think there's a very good chance Wang opens the wallet next summer.

These things matter, yanno.
You do realize that I said, from a business standpoint, correct? Where am I talking about Bettman or the $3.3 billion NHL? I'm talking about the front office of the Islanders. They now have 14,500 seats and will charge more for them for a team that is below average. That's not a way to make money.

As a huge hockey fan, I definitely don't care about what's good for hockey. Yup, you hit it on the head! Jesus...

And to the bolded, those are all based on "ifs". First off, the Isles will never be marketed like the Nets. If you'll remember, this is the United States of Basketball, Football, and Baseball. Secondly, what makes you think a free agent would want to come to the Islanders just because they're in Brooklyn? Who gives a **** that they're in Brooklyn if they aren't a good team? Parise didn't just go home to Minnesota, he joined a team full of great players and brought Suter with him. And when it comes to money and ownership, the Islanders can't compete with the likes of the Rangers, Bruins, Penguins, etc... So I'm sorry, but that's a big "if", a big "if" that you don't base a huge change of scenery off of.

I'm assuming by your username, that you are an Islander fan. I'm sorry that I offended you with my honest thought about how going to Brooklyn to an arena that seats 14,500 people is a bad idea. But maybe, just maybe, you ignored the 2nd part of my post.

Last edited by Clowes Line: 10-24-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Old
10-24-2012, 08:40 PM
AceintheSpace*

That doesnt apply. At all.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:41 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:

Fortunately for them, most likely, under the new CBA they'll be open for revenue sharing. Not to mention that they can't serve a soft-drink over 16oz, so concession prices won't be too outrageous

Old
10-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:

Average price of almost 50? That's ********. I could get seats in the second row for under 100$ against the Rangers.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Where was this (genuinely curious). I've never seen a hamburger with anything except beef in it...
This was late Dec '99. Some mom & pop style restaurant in Port Douglas.

Closed Thread