HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with the move to Brooklyn?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Isles moving to Brooklyn
Yes 196 88.29%
No 26 11.71%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-24-2012, 05:21 PM
mikemustgo13

vCash: 500
yes, even though I live in suffolk, and work in Nassau, I'm happy because the franchise has a shot ( Remember Wang IS still the owner) to become relevant in the NY area once again. Queens would have been better, but KC or Quebec would have been for worse.

mikemustgo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:32 PM
On Edge

Voted yes because I think it is good for the franchise.

Bad for Long Island.

Happy and relieved in one way...very sad in another.

I am a Long Islander and have been all my life. The Islanders have been part of my own self identity for a long time and I actually feel more sadness than I expected.

Nassau didn't deserve it - neither the politicians nor the general public came through for them.

Noticed...name stays the same...logo stays the same (which "logo"???). No word about colors. Bet theyre gonna go black and white. Orange and blue are too "Nassau" probably.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:35 PM
KyleBailey12

So happy! State of the art arena, even though it is further from home. Chance to attract and retain free agents. Can't be happier.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:42 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Glad to see you guys are happy for the most part. It took me some time, but found out that Brooklyn is actually on Long Island! (had no idea, and was wondering how the name would continue to make sense.)

You learn something new everyday.

I really think all things considered this is the best outcome possible for the franchise.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
voted i am not happy.
I am only not happy because it will not be as easy for me to get to a game. I think the pice of tickets plus Train fair will also make it alot harder for me personally.
I agree with you, but I am still happy based on the alternatives.

Brooklyn and a more expensive ticket or Kansas/Seattle/Canada and not being able to see my team. Ill take the first one anytime

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:49 PM
macleod50

Yes I am.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:53 PM
SouthShore91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
all resources is nassau were exhausted if you go to suffolk you are even more small market. this gives the team a home and a chance to be competive...i get your feelings but i grew up a whaler fan and the thought of my team moving again was unbearable. belive me i know what its like for a franchise to move..far away.. its a horrible empty feeling.
I don't think this is necessarily true. Would have liked to see what Mangano had planned. I get that the whole moving a far away thing is much, much worse. But I'll break out a quote that I just found "“Uniondale is eons away from Brooklyn, in terms of the people, the businesses and all that stuff,”-Denis Potvin. And you know what, he's totally right. Even though it's only a few miles to the west it might as well be Canada for a Suffolk fan. The whole charm and image of the team is lost.

SouthShore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post

Bad for Long Island.

I am a Long Islander and have been all my life. The Islanders have been part of my own self identity for a long time and I actually feel more sadness than I expected.

Nassau didn't deserve it - neither the politicians nor the general public came through for them.

Noticed...name stays the same...logo stays the same (which "logo"???). No word about colors. Bet theyre gonna go black and white. Orange and blue are too "Nassau" probably.

Blue and orange are the colors of the NYC flag. If it works for the Mets and Knicks, it'll work for the Islanders. I would not be surprised though to see a radically different Net-like 3rd jersey which I guess can't be any worse than what we have now.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
I don't think this is necessarily true. Would have liked to see what Mangano had planned. I get that the whole moving a far away thing is much, much worse. But I'll break out a quote that I just found "“Uniondale is eons away from Brooklyn, in terms of the people, the businesses and all that stuff,”-Denis Potvin. And you know what, he's totally right. Even though it's only a few miles to the west it might as well be Canada for a Suffolk fan. The whole charm and image of the team is lost.
But it's still a local team to root for that isn't the Rangers.

I understand some LI fans are hurt by this, but I think we all know that it was either Brooklyn or out of market completely. Nassau & Suffolk weren't going to happen. We've known that for a few years now.

And frankly, the teams image needs to change. We've been a forgotten, irrelevant franchise for my entire adult life. The greatest moment I have as a fan is losing to the Leafs. I imagine many 20-30 somethings agree. Somethings wrong if the best memory for a large demographic of the fanbase, is a loss.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Islanders1932

Anyone else a little concerned by the configuration of the Barclays center? I was just looking at it for hockey and I am afraid the seats might be far back and a little concerned how it will look on T.V. when they are putting a tarp over that one side. I hope they can work to do something about this to make it more compatible.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

It's bittersweet because I'll miss the Isles being 10 minutes away from me. But of course I'm happy that the Isles stay in New York!

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
lost35*

definitely not, the Islanders had an Identity on Long Island, they are no longer the Islanders

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
Crazy Eddie had NOTHING planned for NYI. Come on. But he'll announce it anyday now.

What charm? What image? Ya mean the image of the laughing stock of sports? I couldn't be happier that will be lost.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:10 PM
TheBigBadCat

Very Happy , for me a shorter commute from central jersey and finally a new building . bye bye NVMC . will not miss the belt pkwy ride

TheBigBadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
But it's still a local team to root for that isn't the Rangers.

I understand some LI fans are hurt by this, but I think we all know that it was either Brooklyn or out of market completely. Nassau & Suffolk weren't going to happen. We've known that for a few years now.

And frankly, the teams image needs to change. We've been a forgotten, irrelevant franchise for my entire adult life. The greatest moment I have as a fan is losing to the Leafs. I imagine many 20-30 somethings agree. Somethings wrong if the best memory for a large demographic of the fanbase, is a loss.
Yup. If it wasn't for the Nets and Brooklyn/Ratner money, NYI ends up in Seattle or Quebec.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
definitely not, the Islanders had an Identity on Long Island, they are no longer the Islanders
Does this mean you are no longer a fan and that any future posts can be construed as trolling?

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Pnut

Wang said on Mike Francesca that the logo and colors stay the same.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:39 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
I know it sounds simple but honestly there should be a 3rd option of happy they are staying in NY sad they are leaving Long Island. I voted no for that reason but also happy they are staying very local.

10-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Drivefor5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post

Blue and orange are the colors of the NYC flag. If it works for the Mets and Knicks, it'll work for the Islanders. I would not be surprised though to see a radically different Net-like 3rd jersey which I guess can't be any worse than what we have now.
This might be corny but then again what I am about to suggest might be cool. What would you guys think of a 3rd jersy with the old Brooklyn Americans style but instead of red white and blue (for obvious reasons) go with our colors. The Brooklyn Americans style jersey and our logo or maybe replace the word "Americans" with "Islanders"? Maybe someone good with Photoshop could mock it up for us to see how it would look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrklynAmer.jpg‎ (9.0 KB, 4 views)

Drivefor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:49 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Voted yes. Happy that the Islanders will be playing in a state of the art arena in NY. Which hopefully will lead to attracting top free agents and bringing the Islanders back to the top. None of my teams have won anything in my near 26 year existence. I just want one. Some day.

Personally, I won't be able to get to as many games, but that's okay. I'll still try my best to get there as often as I can.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:02 PM
KevFu

There should be a "Apprehensive / Better than most other scenarios" option.

I think every Islanders fan is going to be happy for a better situation, but disappointed the ideal situation didn't come to fruition.

The ideal situation is a brand new, state of the art, modern NHL facility that we owned/operated would give our team Top 10 Revenue; preferably in Nassau County.

What we got was brand new, modern but flawed, non-NHL arena we lease that will probably give our team average revenues (but remains to be seen based on the lease).

Obviously, the New York market is better than leaving the market.
Obviously, the new arena with more suites and modern revenue streams is better than NVMC.

But there's some disappointment for all non-Brooklyn residents we're leaving Nassau County. And there's apprehension about the terms of the lease.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Drivefor5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivefor5 View Post
This might be corny but then again what I am about to suggest might be cool. What would you guys think of a 3rd jersy with the old Brooklyn Americans style but instead of red white and blue (for obvious reasons) go with our colors. The Brooklyn Americans style jersey and our logo or maybe replace the word "Americans" with "Islanders"? Maybe someone good with Photoshop could mock it up for us to see how it would look.
I am ecstatic that this move was made. Nothing is ever 100% perfect, (unless you were the Islanders from 80-83, shamless referrence). I grew up in Westbury and like many of us, enjoyed the easy access and all that went with it from the 70's on through the years.

I have been off the Island in Jersey for about 8 years. For all the obvious reasons this is a good move for the Franchise and the fan base.

For personal reasons I can enjoy my team more often so I'm psyched.

Other then the obvious and the personal The move is good because:

-The Isles vs Rangers and Isles vs Devils just got amped up.

-The team needed to change there Mojo, this does and if Garth/Wang are smart they will jump on this mojo and exploit it going forward.

-Infusion into the fan base. The die hards will always be there but without playoff success, a move like this was necessary to infuse new blood into the fan base. A fan base either grows or dies. Like it or not we were dying, I'd much rather trade the NVMC and our LI tradition and Identity for LIFE!!!! Not to mention we are keeping our colors our name and logo as well as we are still in fact on the Island.

Last thought, it will feel strange celebrating a cup win up the canyon of heroes but this would afford us a special revenge on the Rangers that Hempstead Turnpike could never afford us with our next cup win. Talk about amping up the rivalry, imagine what the next season would be like after we take the Cup through the canyon of heroes. It would be like the upstart Islanders of 1975 all over again. I'm getting psyched just thinking about this!!!! I can't friggin wait drop the puck already!!!

One more run in the old barn is all I ask, Lets Go Islanders!!!!!

Drivefor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:11 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Isles stay on Long Island for 25 more years. I'm ecstatic.
This is it, exactly.

And yes, couldn't be happier.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
bstash19

i voted yes yes, it sucks they leave they dont rebuild the coliseum, but honestly, nassau country was slewfooting the islanders. they didnt deserve the team after messing everything up.

Anyone that voted no is kidding themselves. so youre saying that you would take the uncertainty that has hovered over this franchise for the last few years (and as long as the last decade) , as opposed to knowing that your team is here to stay. give me a break.

but now i have to go further to see them. waaah. guess what brooklyn is a little closer than seattle.

theyre still closer than the jets, giants, yankees, knicks, and for some of isles fans, the mets, as well.

so i dont know how you couldnt be happy.

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post

Bad for Long Island.

the same as bolded. I voted "no" because i identify the islanders with Long Island, not 'well TECHNICALLY its long island". Ive been with this team for a lot of years, invested a **** ton of money in it and was hoping to see it through ON long island, not in an area where they have to HOPE that new fans revitalize the interest in the team.

i can understand why people are ecstatic about it and i agree with a lot of the sentiment, i just dont personally have the same "**** yeah" attitude a lot of others here have. to each their own.

*you know oddly enough i don't think this would bother me as much if they moved next to citifield or something. Dunno..

Last edited by Riddick: 10-24-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote