HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
hab 4ever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
They could but better to sign him as an overager on june 21st 2013 when he turns 20 if that's allowed under CHL rules.
Could they really sign him between now and the 2013 draft given now he is a 93 born (and not 1992) ?

Old
10-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Stephane Leroux ‏@StephRDSJunior
Debut du match a Val-d'or. #oceanic vs #foreurs encore beaucoup de depisteurs ce soir dont Trevor Timmins des #Canadiens

Trevor scouting Mantha, Gauthier, Morin and company tonight...

Old
10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Domi is one of those cases where if you pass on him you will regret it 5 years later. Guy will certainly get bounced around from time to time, but if you surround him with the right supporting cast, he could rack up a bunch of points. He is also a weapon on the powerplay.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:53 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Domi is one of those cases where if you pass on him you will regret it 5 years later. Guy will certainly get bounced around from time to time, but if you surround him with the right supporting cast, he could rack up a bunch of points. He is also a weapon on the powerplay.
Thing is, the :abs got enough midget already, I'd rather go after someone else a bit bigger so they can surround DD et Gallagher.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Thing is, the :abs got enough midget already, I'd rather go after someone else a bit bigger so they can surround DD et Gallagher.
Im not saying Habs per se, I am just saying that you have to take the best player available. I mean Hudon probably got drafted in round five because he is only 5'10, yet I am sure lots of teams regret passing on him now.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:07 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post

With prospects like Hudon, Gallagher, Kristo and Collberg all being under 6 feet, drafting a guy that is 5"10 isn't exactly what Montreal needs. At about 15th overall, where Domi is expected to go, guys like De La Rose, Burakovsky and Erne can still be available. You need to surround the younger guys with bigger bodies and these guys are also skilled forwards that can put up points.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
With prospects like Hudon, Gallagher, Kristo and Collberg all being under 6 feet, drafting a guy that is 5"10 isn't exactly what Montreal needs. At about 15th overall, where Domi is expected to go, guys like De La Rose, Burakovsky and Erne can still be available. You need to surround the younger guys with bigger bodies and these guys are also skilled forwards that can put up points.
You must have loved our big bodied late 80's/most of the 90's 1st rounders then...how did that work out?

You take the BPA, especially in round 1. Period.

Drouin had 2 goals and 2 assists in his return to the lineup tonight.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
You must have loved our big bodied late 80's/most of the 90's 1st rounders then...how did that work out?

You take the BPA, especially in round 1. Period.

Drouin had 2 goals and 2 assists in his return to the lineup tonight.
If Drouin is there when the Habs pick Bergevin better run to the podium throwing elbows and laughing like a maniac the whole way.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

By the sounds of Morin he's the type of prospect we need.

But... Can he fight ?

Yeah... if Morin puts up even decent point this kid is a mid first rounder like Wilson...

Nevermind, this kid won't put up many points at all.. For some ****ed reason I thought he was a forward. Still hoping for him, though.

Last edited by Analyzer: 10-24-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Points dont necessarily get you drafted. If he uses his size well to clear the net and block shots, he could very well be a top 60 pick.

What is the analysis of Gauthier? He seems to be racking up points rather nicely. Pretty good skater from what little I have seen and also looks like he reads the play quite well.

Regarding Drouin: You can be sure the Habs have him high on their list. He has first line potential.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton
In Val D'Or as Rimouski visits Les Foreurs. Anthony Mantha with 3 goals & 1 assist. Top 30 for sure on next Craig's List. #2013NHLDraft

Mantha now 2nd in the Q point race.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Yeah, just about to post that. Mantha now has 27 pts in 14 games and is +12. He is also 6'3, 200 pounds and also had a good year offensively last year.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton
More on Anthony Mantha & Frederik Gauthier in my scouting report on TSN.ca on Thursday on 'The Road to the 2013 NHL Draft' #2013NHLDraft

You'll get your analysis, Rise...

Mantha ends it in OT with his 4th of the game. Wow. If we draft him in June, I fully expect Timmins to talk about this game that he attended. Heh. About time a good prospect came out of Longueuil...all we've had recently is Bruno Gervais...

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 10-24-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Three things are immediately apparent after watching Mantha for more than 10 minutes: 1. He has a power forwards frame 2. He is a very smooth skater and reaches his top speed in 2-3 strides 3. His hockey sense is very strong.

His shot is based on a good release and he is not afraid to let it go. Wouldnt say its overpowering or anything, but efficient.

On a side note, Michael Beaudry is lightning fast.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:19 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If Drouin is there when the Habs pick Bergevin better run to the podium throwing elbows and laughing like a maniac the whole way.
That would be awesome

Old
10-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Like this?

Old
10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

If Habs pick 3rd overall, you go for Drouin and you don't worry about the other prospects. I have the kid 3rd on my list at the beginning of the season..I don't want to be forced to put him ahead of MacKinnon lol

Old
10-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
If Habs pick 3rd overall, you go for Drouin and you don't worry about the other prospects. I have the kid 3rd on my list at the beginning of the season..I don't want to be forced to put him ahead of MacKinnon lol
Drouin over Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm would be insanity.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Only flaw I have seen regarding Drouin is that he is not the smoothest skater around. That could be remedied though and it is not THAT bad.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Drouin over Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm would be insanity.
I can tell you that Drouin is a better prospect than Monahan and I believe Drouin is going to turn out better than Monahan. I don't see anything special in Sean comparing to Drouin. But I haven't seen enough of Barkov and Lindholm except at the World Juniors and U-18 and Ivan Hlinka. Lindholm impresses me a lot, he's a top 10 IMO, but not on the same caliber as Drouin. As for Barkov, he's a monster..but to scream insanity because of Drouin over him might be a stretch. I won't hesitate to take Drouin over Monahan and Lindholm. As for Barkov, I'll wait before deciding..it's just too soon.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Et le But

I mean it would be hard to complain about Drouin, he's probably my favourite player in the Q to watch but there's just so many complete players in this draft that Drouin would have to really put up outrageous numbers to go top 3 IMO.

The top 10 in this draft is going to be nuts, I wouldn't rule anything out yet. But right now I'd still go with Barkov over Drouin.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:36 PM
DAChampion

Could Barkov sneak past Jones or MacKinnon to be drafted into the top two?

Old
10-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Before putting Drouin in my top 3 (or even top 5), I'd like to see him play without MacKinnon to see what he would do as THE leader of the Mooseheads attack. Would he still put up more than 2 points a game? Unless there's an injury, the only chance for that to happen is if MacKinnon makes the WJC team and Drouin does not.

Typically the Drouin type of forward has fallen in the draft (Teravainen, Eberle, Giroux, etc)...

Old
10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Habssupporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I mean it would be hard to complain about Drouin, he's probably my favourite player in the Q to watch but there's just so many complete players in this draft that Drouin would have to really put up outrageous numbers to go top 3 IMO.

The top 10 in this draft is going to be nuts, I wouldn't rule anything out yet. But right now I'd still go with Barkov over Drouin.
I probably would have to think long and hard to choose between drouin and Barkov. Probably leaning towards Barkov for now but it's a race between the two and i know its really early in the year but for me, it is not a clean #1 and #2 of Mac and Seth Jones yet... I could see #1 to #4,5 maybe even #6 changing in the mist of the season.

Now, i know some people mentionned JC Lipon as an overager and i like him but how about Myles Bell? He was considered as a pretty highly touted talent 2 years ago but had a driving accident and killed a girl if i remember correctly. Alcohol was also involved in the accident but i'm not too sure to what extend. He was also a minor at the time.

Since that incident, he got traded to Kelowna and no one wanted to use a pick on him i suppose because of the accident. He a really good skater from what i can tell and is completely dominating the WHL right now as a defenseman with 21 points in 13 games.

If he's still there in the fourth round, i'm starting to think about calling his name. Also i dont think he's gotten into any trouble since then and got named to be an assistant captain in Kelowna this season so he doesn't seems like he is a player you don't want on the team because of his attitude.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Could Barkov sneak past Jones or MacKinnon to be drafted into the top two?
Barkov is in a "slump" right now (2 games without a point! Everyone panic!) but I think it all depends on how he does in the WJC, there's a lot of skepticism about Finnish prospects as the nation hasn't really produced a blue chip prospect in a long time (Granlund looks to break that streak, but it's too early to say). Plus Barkov isn't particularly explosive and keeps his game simple.

But over a PPG pace in the SM-liiga is unprecedented at 17, according to the prospects board the closest in history is Granlund who finished the year at that age at .93 ppg. And Granlund, while ridiculously skilled with a high hockey IQ is also small and not a great skater so there's genuine concerns about how his game will adapt, while Barkov is huge and strong as a bull. Not to mention Granlund was a purely offensive player at that point while Barkov is already dominant in every zone.

If he continues at his pace not counting the "slump" he should be in the discussion, but the WJC should make or break him.

For what it's worth Barkov and Drouin are probably my two favourite players in the draft, I'd still probably go with Mackinnon over them because of the edge he plays with. And of course there's Lindholm...every year a Swede gets called the new Forsberg, and this is the closest one yet, so it's hard to not see the appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Before putting Drouin in my top 3 (or even top 5), I'd like to see him play without MacKinnon to see what he would do as THE leader of the Mooseheads attack. Would he still put up more than 2 points a game? Unless there's an injury, the only chance for that to happen is if MacKinnon makes the WJC team and Drouin does not.

Typically the Drouin type of forward has fallen in the draft (Teravainen, Eberle, Giroux, etc)...
I mostly agree with this, Drouin will be quite a player but those small playmakers tend to fall out of the top 5 for a reason. Projecting the next Giroux isn't that easy.

Last edited by Et le But: 10-24-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Closed Thread