HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'd still take him back as a 4th line energy forward and maybe use him on the PP for his shot. He's a lot more useful than a guy like Eager
You'd like a guy back who was just cut by his National League (Swiss League) team? If he can't make it over there, there's basically zero chance he earns a spot back in the NHL. He's small and relatively injury prone. There is really no spot for him on the 4th line or anywhere on this club. As underwhelming as Eager was last season I'd still take him over Brule 9/10x.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Jamin

Yea no thanks to Brule. I always thought he had some mental issues and then when Lombardi leaked Brule suffers from depression (during Mulletgate) that confirmed my suspicions.

If he could work on his issues he could still be a player on some team, wasnt he good for Phoenix? But getting cut by a lesser league is pretty hellish for the career prospects

Old
10-24-2012, 05:40 PM
OilGuns

vCash: 200
I clicked the wrong answer , getting Luongo with that contract would mean we would have to let go of somebody out of our top guys and I'm not wanting him anyways when he only has a few years left of being "good" anyways. He would help the team right now for a couple years, but he wouldn't grow with it.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:37 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Yea no thanks to Brule. I always thought he had some mental issues and then when Lombardi leaked Brule suffers from depression (during Mulletgate) that confirmed my suspicions.

If he could work on his issues he could still be a player on some team, wasnt he good for Phoenix? But getting cut by a lesser league is pretty hellish for the career prospects
He was very good. In fact, I don't think there were any fans that didn't want him back after the playoffs

Old
10-24-2012, 07:10 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
step 1: have a season
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Step 1:get Horcoff off the team
step 1--Get some different fans on the oiler band wagon

Old
10-24-2012, 07:15 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
step 1--Get some different fans on the oiler band wagon
ya,that's really going to solve the Oilers problems.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:20 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
ya,that's really going to solve the Oilers problems.
when horcoff got signed there were more yays then nays and many people who post that they hate him, hate him because of the contract. The way I look at it, he is buying time for the kids--just like Smyth and Hemsky. Some posters want the kids(btw--I found out that I am older then one of their fathers so can call them kids) to jump in a light the world on fire. They need to learn to crawl, then walk and then run

Old
10-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Luongo is only as good as the defense in front of him, and the Leafs D is full of holes. Edmonton would have the first and last laughs.

If Luongo cannot get it done in Vancouver, what makes some fans think he can do it in Edmonton. It's ridiculous to even think it.

His Florida stats say hello.

He definitely blew the Chicago series and the last two Boston games, but he was amazing in games 1, 2 and 5 in the Boston series, and he also was very solid in the Nashville and San Jose series. I think he's not necessarily a playoff "choker", but something about Chicago always gets him. He also went 5-0 for Canada at the Olympics, with a great defense yes, but he still was the guy who won. So I think he can get it done in Edmonton

He was actually good against LA too, but he was taken out because some sort of message had to be sent, they were awful

Old
10-25-2012, 09:16 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
If Belanger, Plante, and a second are all that are going back in return and we can move Dubnyk for a decent prospect or a late first, I'd trade for Luongo. Any deal that sees MPS going the other way would be a ridiculous overpayment from the Oilers.

I think a better deal is out there for Gillis in Toronto.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

I'd rather take a chance on Bernier than Luongo.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
I'd rather take a chance on Bernier than Luongo.
I'd rather take a chance on Dubnyk than Bernier

Old
10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I'd rather take a chance on Dubnyk than Bernier
That too. I was just saying I don't want the whole Luongo situation. If we HAD to make a move, a Dubnyk/Bernier tandem would be OK with me for the time being.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Tyrolean

Really don't want Luongo at any price not with his contract and age. He has at most 2or 3 good years left and you don't want to pay high for a rapidly declining asset. Much too risky and costly. Haven't we learned anything with Habby?

Last edited by Tyrolean: 10-25-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If Belanger, Plante, and a second are all that are going back in return and we can move Dubnyk for a decent prospect or a late first, I'd trade for Luongo. Any deal that sees MPS going the other way would be a ridiculous overpayment from the Oilers.

I think a better deal is out there for Gillis in Toronto.
really? Have you seen Luongo's contract? Any GM silly enough to pick up Luongo's contract deserves to be fired.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:04 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Really don't want Luongo at any price not with his contract and age. He has at most203 good years left and you don't want to pay high for a rapidly declining asset. Much too risky and costly. Haven't we learned anything with Habby?
One of these things is not like the other... Can't believe how underrated Luongo has become. He instantly makes this team a contender even with its shotty defence IMO. And his price isn't crazy 5.3M for a top end goalie. We can use him for the next 6 years and not worry about our goaltending situation. After that we could send him to a team struggling to meet the cap floor and he could retire(if the new CBA changes retirement rule). For the difference in price between Dubnyk and Luongo and the caliber of player your getting I would gladly spend the extra 2M. As for Paajarvi, he has no future here in Edmonton with our current top 6 so I would trade him in a heartbeat if the player coming back fills a position of need.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
That too. I was just saying I don't want the whole Luongo situation. If we HAD to make a move, a Dubnyk/Bernier tandem would be OK with me for the time being.
I just threw up in my mouth. Goaltending is the main reason we've had three 1st overall picks in a row and you want to make it worse.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Dabomb

I'm iffy on Luongo because of his age and long term contract. But he's still an elite goalie imo and we've seen what this team can do with elite goaltending (see Khabby in October last season). However IF a deal could be made involving Horcoff going the other way, I may consider it. But at the same time, I'd much rather not risk trading for Luongo and see what we have in Dubey.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
. I think he's not necessarily a playoff "choker", but something about Chicago always gets him.
Just think about the score for Edmonton vs Chicago games if we had Luongo in net. 13-12 every game

Old
10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I just threw up in my mouth. Goaltending is the main reason we've had three 1st overall picks in a row and you want to make it worse.
No it's not. Its the entire team. Did the goaltending suck? You bet.

Did the defense suck? Absodamnlutely. If you have Cam Barker in your top four, or Jason Strudwick in your top six, you're in big trouble.

Did you remember that prior to last year, the Oilers Powerplay and Penalty Killing was both amongst the worst in the league? That's not the goaltenders fault.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
No it's not. Its the entire team. Did the goaltending suck? You bet.

Did the defense suck? Absodamnlutely. If you have Cam Barker in your top four, or Jason Strudwick in your top six, you're in big trouble.

Did you remember that prior to last year, the Oilers Powerplay and Penalty Killing was both amongst the worst in the league? That's not the goaltenders fault.
The goaltender is your best PK'er. Powerplay is something else but you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't think goaltending was ONE of the main causes for our last place finishes. Giving up an easy goal every game was enough to sink this team. Couple that with the injuries and you have the product we've seen on the ice the last 3 years.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
rockinghockey

If Luongo's contract wasn't so bad I would be all for it but not with the contract, he is not worth that much and it will hurt our team in the future.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:27 PM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If Luongo's contract wasn't so bad I would be all for it but not with the contract, he is not worth that much and it will hurt our team in the future.
this ^

its not Luongo its his contract. He is a quality player but his contract is too long and for too much money.

kind of like horcoffs but 3 times worse

Old
10-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Dabomb

I'm hoping there is a provision in the new CBA that does allow team to retain some salary and salary cap charge of players when it comes to trades. That would make impossible deals possible, such as trading away Horcoff... or perhaps even trading for a player like Luongo.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Gags89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
You'd like a guy back who was just cut by his National League (Swiss League) team? If he can't make it over there, there's basically zero chance he earns a spot back in the NHL. He's small and relatively injury prone. There is really no spot for him on the 4th line or anywhere on this club. As underwhelming as Eager was last season I'd still take him over Brule 9/10x.
Actually it sounds like Brule requested to leave.

As per ZSC Lions release..
Quote:
Gilbert Brulé verlässt die ZSC Lions per sofort.

Auf Wunsch von Gilbert Brulé wird der einjährige Arbeitsvertrag im gegenseitigen Einvernehmen per sofort aufgelöst. Die Gründe für die Vertragsauflösung sind privat und persönlich.

Der Kanadier wechselte auf die Saison 2012/13 hin von den Phoenix Coyotes zu den ZSC Lions. Er absolvierte 14 Spiele und erzielte 6 Punkte.

Die ZSC Lions wünschen Gilbert Brulé für die weitere Zukunft nur das Beste.
Gilbert Brulé leaves the ZSC Lions immediately.

At the request of Gilbert Brulé, the one-year employment contract is resolved in mutual agreement with immediate effect. The reasons for the termination are private and personal.

The Canadians joined Coyotes on the 2012/13 season out of the Phoenix the ZSC Lions. He played 14 games and scored 6 points.

The ZSC Lions wish only the best for the future Gilbert Brulé.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:35 PM
0il fan

Proposal: Getzlaf to Edm

Ok guys and gals, so what would a reasonable offer be to get Getzlaf out of Anahiem if he wanted out?

Here's my offer:

to Ana
two of Hemsky/Gagner/Klefbom/
Any prospect not named Schutz or Yakupov
2013 2nd rounder upgraded to 2014 first rounder if he signs with Edm past his current deal

to Edm
Getzlaf

Closed Thread