HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 09:12 PM
  #551
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
everything you said there is never going to happen...
He wont waive go to Edmonton with all the relocation talk
Do you honestly think Edmonton is going to move?

Katz went to Seattle in a misguided and stupid attempt to put heat on city council to give him more money. The Oilers will NEVER leave Edmonton.

Gillis won't send Luongo to Edmonton because it's not smart to deal a goaltender with a burning desire to prove you wrong to your up-and-coming division rival so he can haunt you 6 times a season.

Btw, any team CAN afford him, based on how much salary is going back the other way. I can't see Gillis wanting to send Luongo to their heated rivals in Chicago for the same reasons he likely doesn't want to send him anywhere within the Western Conference.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:26 PM
  #552
hockeywiz542
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/News1130Sports/st...81639179837440

Quote:
News1130 Sports‏

@News1130Sports

Roberto Loungo's agent Gilles Lupien says he has heard nothing about a Loungo trade to the Maple Leafs.

9:36 AM - 23 Oct 12
http://twitter.com/News1130Sports/st...81904939347968

Quote:
News1130 Sports‏

@News1130Sports

Lupien says he can't even remember the last time he talked to #Canucks gm Mike Gillis. Thinks it was late June.

9:37 AM - 23 Oct 12
http://twitter.com/News1130Sports/st...82238449418240

Quote:
News1130 Sports‏

@News1130Sports

Lupien says he has not been asked by #Canucks if Loungo would accept trade to Toronto.

9:38 AM - 23 Oct 12

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:30 PM
  #553
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
I know i've said this before but I still think a fair deal for Luongo would be Kadri/Komiserak/2nd rounder, we get an elite goalie and they get a potentially good 2nd liner, a depth defencmen and a high 2nd round pick, fair deal for both sides. Now before you say "oh Luongo has a an abusrd contract" consider this Burke will not be here in 10 years time, and by then it will be a new GM's contract problem to fix, Burke's job is to win NOW and IMO Luongo helps us do that assuming we can land him.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:01 AM
  #554
MorriPage
Registered User
 
MorriPage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
I know i've said this before but I still think a fair deal for Luongo would be Kadri/Komiserak/2nd rounder, we get an elite goalie and they get a potentially good 2nd liner, a depth defencmen and a high 2nd round pick, fair deal for both sides. Now before you say "oh Luongo has a an abusrd contract" consider this Burke will not be here in 10 years time, and by then it will be a new GM's contract problem to fix, Burke's job is to win NOW and IMO Luongo helps us do that assuming we can land him.
There's an extremely limited market for Luongo. That means Gillis isn't getting anything of significance for him. The return will be worse than what Howson got for Nash, guaranteed. No Kadri, Gardiner, Frattin, or 1st round pick. The absolute most I can see Gillis being offered from Burke is something like Bozak, Blacker and 2nd round pick. And if Gillis doesn't like it, then look elsewhere.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:50 AM
  #555
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Let VAN keep him.

I think Gillis gave Burke a big middle finger when he traded Hodgson to Buffalo.

I think they still hate each other.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:47 AM
  #556
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,926
vCash: 500
From the rumours that've been going around, it sounds like Bozak is the centerpiece of the deal.

I would imagine they're including Komisarek.

It's probably Bozak, Komisarek + someone with a little bit of potential off the Marlies... maybe D'Amigo or Blacker... or maybe a 2nd rounder.

If Gillis has better offers on the table or if Luongo will go back to the Canucks' dressing room then of course Gillis has those better options. However I've believed all along that Gillis hasn't got an inch to manoeuvre around and the sharks smell blood.

Burko is the Mako who is going to tak-o Luongo for cheap-o.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:26 AM
  #557
dfunk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
Is vancouver's only real need a 3rd line center? Or would they find use in a winger like macarthur?

I have a feeling they're also trying to move Ballard, I know a lot of their fans are. I'd be ok with taking him if Komi went the other way, kind of a wash trade that might benefit both if all they needed was a change of scenery.

So I'm thinking something crazy like this for ****s and giggles

To Toronto: Luongo, Ballard, 4th

To Vancouver: Bozak, Macarthur, Komisarek, 3rd

But then, Bozak and Mac are both UFA at year's end so maybe throw in someone like d'amigo instead of the 3rd? I feel like D'amigo's ceiling is what Frattin already is

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:35 AM
  #558
HockeyGuruPitka
Registered User
 
HockeyGuruPitka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
Is vancouver's only real need a 3rd line center? Or would they find use in a winger like macarthur?

I have a feeling they're also trying to move Ballard, I know a lot of their fans are. I'd be ok with taking him if Komi went the other way, kind of a wash trade that might benefit both if all they needed was a change of scenery.

So I'm thinking something crazy like this for ****s and giggles

To Toronto: Luongo, Ballard, 4th

To Vancouver: Bozak, Macarthur, Komisarek, 3rd

But then, Bozak and Mac are both UFA at year's end so maybe throw in someone like d'amigo instead of the 3rd? I feel like D'amigo's ceiling is what Frattin already is
D'amigo is an elite penalty killer. Frattin, not so much.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
  #559
dfunk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
D'amigo is an elite penalty killer. Frattin, not so much.
ugh

how many 2nd/3rd liners do we need? Eventually we're going to have to move SOME prospects.

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:26 PM
  #560
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
Is vancouver's only real need a 3rd line center? Or would they find use in a winger like macarthur?

I have a feeling they're also trying to move Ballard, I know a lot of their fans are. I'd be ok with taking him if Komi went the other way, kind of a wash trade that might benefit both if all they needed was a change of scenery.

So I'm thinking something crazy like this for ****s and giggles

To Toronto: Luongo, Ballard, 4th

To Vancouver: Bozak, Macarthur, Komisarek, 3rd

But then, Bozak and Mac are both UFA at year's end so maybe throw in someone like d'amigo instead of the 3rd? I feel like D'amigo's ceiling is what Frattin already is
There's no way we take Ballard too. Luongo's contract is bad enough. We have enough dmen already too.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:27 PM
  #561
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
In 6 years from now, if Luongo's play has faded, there are several possible scenarios:

Option 1: Luongo feels his career is done, and retires.
Option 2: Luongo still wants to play, and asks to be traded to a cap floor team(such as Florida) where he can play out his contract as a backup with a high cap hit but minimal salary in his preferred destination.
Option 3: Luongo decides to screw everyone over, doesn't retire, and uses his limited NTC to prevent a trade(even to Florida). Management can then force him to play in the minors until he agrees to option 1 or option 2. So unless luongo prefers riding the bus to retirement or Florida, there's not too much risk involved.

That said: Tyler Bozak, Matt Finn, and the Leafs choice of Kadri, Kulemin, or a 1st conditional on playoffs.
Still counts against the cap while he rides the bus.

And you know he'll probably ride a limo to games, or even buy a "Madden" bus for the team.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
  #562
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,469
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Still counts against the cap while he rides the bus.

And you know he'll probably ride a limo to games, or even buy a "Madden" bus for the team.
I know. But how long do you think he'd be willing to ride the bus when sunny Florida is waiting? In either retirement or a Panthers uniform?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:37 PM
  #563
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Just none that the Leafs own.


A tip of the hat to you, sir.

Or, in more modern parlance , well played...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:38 PM
  #564
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User
 
hockeygeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Still counts against the cap while he rides the bus.

And you know he'll probably ride a limo to games, or even buy a "Madden" bus for the team.
New CBA proposal where you can't bury a cap hit in the minors anymore

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:44 PM
  #565
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I know. But how long do you think he'd be willing to ride the bus when sunny Florida is waiting? In either retirement or a Panthers uniform?
He might be in a "You want to screw me, I'll screw you" mood.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:45 PM
  #566
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
New CBA proposal where you can't bury a cap hit in the minors anymore
Which is exactly my point...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:47 PM
  #567
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,469
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
He might be in a "You want to screw me, I'll screw you" mood.
If he's unwilling to retire or be traded(to his admitted preferred destination), it would have been him who started it.

I don't think you can realistically expect Luongo to sacrifice his own happiness just to mess the Leafs over.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:51 PM
  #568
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If he's unwilling to retire or be traded(to his admitted preferred destination), it would have been him who started it.

I don't think you can realistically expect Luongo to sacrifice his own happiness just to mess the Leafs over.
By that time (39-40), he might be quite happy playing a game he loves without having to fly across the continent...

And there's the Latin blood factor.

PS: Funny usage/definition of the expression "He started it" !


Last edited by beauchamp: 10-24-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Adding the PS
beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:57 PM
  #569
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,469
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
By that time (39-40), he might be quite happy playing a game he loves without having to fly across the continent...

And there's the Latin blood factor.

PS: Funny usage of the expression "He started it" !
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. He'll be 40, not 80. He's not going to stay away from Florida because they fly more than Toronto. If anything he might want a more relaxed environment in Florida than the media circus of Toronto beginning to speculate that he might no longer be worth his contract anymore...

And Latin blood factor?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:12 PM
  #570
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. He'll be 40, not 80. He's not going to stay away from Florida because they fly more than Toronto. If anything he might want a more relaxed environment in Florida than the media circus of Toronto beginning to speculate that he might no longer be worth his contract anymore...

And Latin blood factor?
You fell for that, did you?

I'll see your and raise you and .

We're having fun, aren't we ?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
  #571
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,469
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
You fell for that, did you?

I'll see your and raise you and .

We're having fun, aren't we ?
We're too.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:50 PM
  #572
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,525
vCash: 500
Personally I doubt very much the new CBA winds up including the "can't bury in the A" clause. But if we're assuming that, then we're equally assuming that teams will be able to deal what, was it 3 million in cap space I believe? His contract doesn't really scare me under old rules or hypothetical new rules as it stands, but we'll have to see what the end result is.

Unless the new CBA brings together a currently unforseen set of rules affecting Lou's contract, then I again say I am all for getting him (on the cheap of course). Goaltending has been sub-par for 7 years, not coincidentally, no playoffs for 7 years. If Reimer or Scrivens winds up Potvin'ing Lou's Fuhr (clear as mud analogy right? lol..) then I call it a good problem. For god's sakes lets cross one of the three off the "glaring holes in lineup" list, 'cause I don't see any big time #1 centres or Dman about to be hypothetically available to us.

__________________
bWo: If you don't know, you should know... Buds WORLD Order Constitution
Adj: "Squiffy" - stupefied by a chemical substance (esp. alcohol)

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:59 PM
  #573
AverageCanadian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I know. But how long do you think he'd be willing to ride the bus when sunny Florida is waiting? In either retirement or a Panthers uniform?
There isn't a chance he'd make it through waivers and the Canucks would get nothing for him in return. If all they want is nothing they can trade him to any team for a 7th rounder.

AverageCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:18 PM
  #574
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Personally I doubt very much the new CBA winds up including the "can't bury in the A" clause. But if we're assuming that, then we're equally assuming that teams will be able to deal what, was it 3 million in cap space I believe? His contract doesn't really scare me under old rules or hypothetical new rules as it stands, but we'll have to see what the end result is.

Unless the new CBA brings together a currently unforseen set of rules affecting Lou's contract, then I again say I am all for getting him (on the cheap of course). Goaltending has been sub-par for 7 years, not coincidentally, no playoffs for 7 years. If Reimer or Scrivens winds up Potvin'ing Lou's Fuhr (clear as mud analogy right? lol..) then I call it a good problem. For god's sakes lets cross one of the three off the "glaring holes in lineup" list, 'cause I don't see any big time #1 centres or Dman about to be hypothetically available to us.


I see a ton available - at no cost.

See next years 1st round draft

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:20 PM
  #575
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
[/B]

I see a ton available - at no cost.

See next years 1st round draft
So cross one of those holes off in a couple years?

Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.