HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
everything you said there is never going to happen...
He wont waive go to Edmonton with all the relocation talk
Do you honestly think Edmonton is going to move?

Katz went to Seattle in a misguided and stupid attempt to put heat on city council to give him more money. The Oilers will NEVER leave Edmonton.

Gillis won't send Luongo to Edmonton because it's not smart to deal a goaltender with a burning desire to prove you wrong to your up-and-coming division rival so he can haunt you 6 times a season.

Btw, any team CAN afford him, based on how much salary is going back the other way. I can't see Gillis wanting to send Luongo to their heated rivals in Chicago for the same reasons he likely doesn't want to send him anywhere within the Western Conference.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:26 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/News1130Sports/st...81639179837440

Quote:
News1130 Sports‏

@News1130Sports

Roberto Loungo's agent Gilles Lupien says he has heard nothing about a Loungo trade to the Maple Leafs.

9:36 AM - 23 Oct 12
http://twitter.com/News1130Sports/st...81904939347968

Quote:
News1130 Sports‏

@News1130Sports

Lupien says he can't even remember the last time he talked to #Canucks gm Mike Gillis. Thinks it was late June.

9:37 AM - 23 Oct 12
http://twitter.com/News1130Sports/st...82238449418240

Quote:
News1130 Sports‏

@News1130Sports

Lupien says he has not been asked by #Canucks if Loungo would accept trade to Toronto.

9:38 AM - 23 Oct 12

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Kingstonian84*

I know i've said this before but I still think a fair deal for Luongo would be Kadri/Komiserak/2nd rounder, we get an elite goalie and they get a potentially good 2nd liner, a depth defencmen and a high 2nd round pick, fair deal for both sides. Now before you say "oh Luongo has a an abusrd contract" consider this Burke will not be here in 10 years time, and by then it will be a new GM's contract problem to fix, Burke's job is to win NOW and IMO Luongo helps us do that assuming we can land him.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:01 AM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
I know i've said this before but I still think a fair deal for Luongo would be Kadri/Komiserak/2nd rounder, we get an elite goalie and they get a potentially good 2nd liner, a depth defencmen and a high 2nd round pick, fair deal for both sides. Now before you say "oh Luongo has a an abusrd contract" consider this Burke will not be here in 10 years time, and by then it will be a new GM's contract problem to fix, Burke's job is to win NOW and IMO Luongo helps us do that assuming we can land him.
There's an extremely limited market for Luongo. That means Gillis isn't getting anything of significance for him. The return will be worse than what Howson got for Nash, guaranteed. No Kadri, Gardiner, Frattin, or 1st round pick. The absolute most I can see Gillis being offered from Burke is something like Bozak, Blacker and 2nd round pick. And if Gillis doesn't like it, then look elsewhere.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:50 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Let VAN keep him.

I think Gillis gave Burke a big middle finger when he traded Hodgson to Buffalo.

I think they still hate each other.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:47 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

From the rumours that've been going around, it sounds like Bozak is the centerpiece of the deal.

I would imagine they're including Komisarek.

It's probably Bozak, Komisarek + someone with a little bit of potential off the Marlies... maybe D'Amigo or Blacker... or maybe a 2nd rounder.

If Gillis has better offers on the table or if Luongo will go back to the Canucks' dressing room then of course Gillis has those better options. However I've believed all along that Gillis hasn't got an inch to manoeuvre around and the sharks smell blood.

Burko is the Mako who is going to tak-o Luongo for cheap-o.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:26 AM
dfunk

Is vancouver's only real need a 3rd line center? Or would they find use in a winger like macarthur?

I have a feeling they're also trying to move Ballard, I know a lot of their fans are. I'd be ok with taking him if Komi went the other way, kind of a wash trade that might benefit both if all they needed was a change of scenery.

So I'm thinking something crazy like this for ****s and giggles

To Toronto: Luongo, Ballard, 4th

To Vancouver: Bozak, Macarthur, Komisarek, 3rd

But then, Bozak and Mac are both UFA at year's end so maybe throw in someone like d'amigo instead of the 3rd? I feel like D'amigo's ceiling is what Frattin already is

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:35 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
Is vancouver's only real need a 3rd line center? Or would they find use in a winger like macarthur?

I have a feeling they're also trying to move Ballard, I know a lot of their fans are. I'd be ok with taking him if Komi went the other way, kind of a wash trade that might benefit both if all they needed was a change of scenery.

But then, Bozak and Mac are both UFA at year's end so maybe throw in someone like d'amigo instead of the 3rd? I feel like D'amigo's ceiling is what Frattin already is
D'amigo is an elite penalty killer. Frattin, not so much.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
dfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
D'amigo is an elite penalty killer. Frattin, not so much.
ugh

how many 2nd/3rd liners do we need? Eventually we're going to have to move SOME prospects.

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post

There's no way we take Ballard too. Luongo's contract is bad enough. We have enough dmen already too.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:27 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
In 6 years from now, if Luongo's play has faded, there are several possible scenarios:

Option 1: Luongo feels his career is done, and retires.
Option 2: Luongo still wants to play, and asks to be traded to a cap floor team(such as Florida) where he can play out his contract as a backup with a high cap hit but minimal salary in his preferred destination.
Option 3: Luongo decides to screw everyone over, doesn't retire, and uses his limited NTC to prevent a trade(even to Florida). Management can then force him to play in the minors until he agrees to option 1 or option 2. So unless luongo prefers riding the bus to retirement or Florida, there's not too much risk involved.

That said: Tyler Bozak, Matt Finn, and the Leafs choice of Kadri, Kulemin, or a 1st conditional on playoffs.
Still counts against the cap while he rides the bus.

And you know he'll probably ride a limo to games, or even buy a "Madden" bus for the team.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

And you know he'll probably ride a limo to games, or even buy a "Madden" bus for the team.
I know. But how long do you think he'd be willing to ride the bus when sunny Florida is waiting? In either retirement or a Panthers uniform?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:37 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Just none that the Leafs own.

A tip of the hat to you, sir.

Or, in more modern parlance , well played...

Old
10-24-2012, 07:38 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:

New CBA proposal where you can't bury a cap hit in the minors anymore

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:44 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I know. But how long do you think he'd be willing to ride the bus when sunny Florida is waiting? In either retirement or a Panthers uniform?
He might be in a "You want to screw me, I'll screw you" mood.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:45 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
New CBA proposal where you can't bury a cap hit in the minors anymore
Which is exactly my point...

Old
10-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
He might be in a "You want to screw me, I'll screw you" mood.
If he's unwilling to retire or be traded(to his admitted preferred destination), it would have been him who started it.

I don't think you can realistically expect Luongo to sacrifice his own happiness just to mess the Leafs over.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:51 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
If he's unwilling to retire or be traded(to his admitted preferred destination), it would have been him who started it.

I don't think you can realistically expect Luongo to sacrifice his own happiness just to mess the Leafs over.
By that time (39-40), he might be quite happy playing a game he loves without having to fly across the continent...

And there's the Latin blood factor.

PS: Funny usage/definition of the expression "He started it" !

Last edited by beauchamp: 10-24-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Adding the PS
Old
10-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
By that time (39-40), he might be quite happy playing a game he loves without having to fly across the continent...

And there's the Latin blood factor.

PS: Funny usage of the expression "He started it" !
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. He'll be 40, not 80. He's not going to stay away from Florida because they fly more than Toronto. If anything he might want a more relaxed environment in Florida than the media circus of Toronto beginning to speculate that he might no longer be worth his contract anymore...

And Latin blood factor?

Old
10-24-2012, 08:12 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. He'll be 40, not 80. He's not going to stay away from Florida because they fly more than Toronto. If anything he might want a more relaxed environment in Florida than the media circus of Toronto beginning to speculate that he might no longer be worth his contract anymore...

And Latin blood factor?
You fell for that, did you?

I'll see your and raise you and .

We're having fun, aren't we ?

Old
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
You fell for that, did you?

I'll see your and raise you and .

We're having fun, aren't we ?
We're too.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Personally I doubt very much the new CBA winds up including the "can't bury in the A" clause. But if we're assuming that, then we're equally assuming that teams will be able to deal what, was it 3 million in cap space I believe? His contract doesn't really scare me under old rules or hypothetical new rules as it stands, but we'll have to see what the end result is.

Unless the new CBA brings together a currently unforseen set of rules affecting Lou's contract, then I again say I am all for getting him (on the cheap of course). Goaltending has been sub-par for 7 years, not coincidentally, no playoffs for 7 years. If Reimer or Scrivens winds up Potvin'ing Lou's Fuhr (clear as mud analogy right? lol..) then I call it a good problem. For god's sakes lets cross one of the three off the "glaring holes in lineup" list, 'cause I don't see any big time #1 centres or Dman about to be hypothetically available to us.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:59 PM
AverageCanadian

Quote:
There isn't a chance he'd make it through waivers and the Canucks would get nothing for him in return. If all they want is nothing they can trade him to any team for a 7th rounder.

AverageCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:18 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Personally I doubt very much the new CBA winds up including the "can't bury in the A" clause. But if we're assuming that, then we're equally assuming that teams will be able to deal what, was it 3 million in cap space I believe? His contract doesn't really scare me under old rules or hypothetical new rules as it stands, but we'll have to see what the end result is.

Unless the new CBA brings together a currently unforseen set of rules affecting Lou's contract, then I again say I am all for getting him (on the cheap of course). Goaltending has been sub-par for 7 years, not coincidentally, no playoffs for 7 years. If Reimer or Scrivens winds up Potvin'ing Lou's Fuhr (clear as mud analogy right? lol..) then I call it a good problem. For god's sakes lets cross one of the three off the "glaring holes in lineup" list, 'cause I don't see any big time #1 centres or Dman about to be hypothetically available to us.

I see a ton available - at no cost.

See next years 1st round draft

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
[/B]

I see a ton available - at no cost.

See next years 1st round draft
So cross one of those holes off in a couple years?

Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote