*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 01:25 AM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreferee View Post
So what does this mean long term? Is this something he can play the year with, as it will have no significant consequences, and he can have the surgery in the off season? I can see the validity of him wanting to play, provided there are no long term issues. That said, going from requiring surgery for a significant injury one day, to being able to play a week later is puzzling. Also...I'd be concerned the rigours of his position may take a toll on the injury. I imagine the team staff would not be playing him if there were long term consequences, but it does seem a quick recovery.
I think the report was taken out of proportion. It was not a significant injury, and although Martin sat out a couple games, the Steelheads had no other option in terms of third goaltender. I think it was ultimately a good move, there will be competition between Teichmann and Windsor for the backup position.

An interesting note was the Mapleleafs chief scout Dave Morrison mentioning Martin and Burnside on their watch list. Percy looks solid so far, I think this will be his last season in the OHL. I understand this is a score by committee team but they are going to have to find some secondary scoring. 60.8% of goals coming from their first line of 25-23-15.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
Smosky gets one in his first game as a steelhead, if he keeps scoring he can stay!
I guess you will let him stay.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I guess you will let him stay.

OHL player of the week!

Old
10-18-2012, 07:05 AM
superspitfan99

Rasmussen no longer listed on Steelheads roster.

Old
10-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Rasmussen no longer listed on Steelheads roster.
as per some players twitter accounts it seems he's gone to play in PEI, dunno if thats with the PEI Rocket or UPEI.

Old
10-18-2012, 03:50 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
as per some players twitter accounts it seems he's gone to play in PEI, dunno if thats with the PEI Rocket or UPEI.
If I'm not mistaken, he may be joining the Summerside Western Capitals a Junior "A" team based out of PEI.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:11 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I think the report was taken out of proportion. It was not a significant injury, and although Martin sat out a couple games, the Steelheads had no other option in terms of third goaltender. I think it was ultimately a good move, there will be competition between Teichmann and Windsor for the backup position.

An interesting note was the Mapleleafs chief scout Dave Morrison mentioning Martin and Burnside on their watch list. Percy looks solid so far, I think this will be his last season in the OHL. I understand this is a score by committee team but they are going to have to find some secondary scoring. 60.8% of goals coming from their first line of 25-23-15.
IF the last couple of games that Windsor has played in is any indication of his skill, I think Teichmann is a shoe in.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:46 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
IF the last couple of games that Windsor has played in is any indication of his skill, I think Teichmann is a shoe in.
Yup I agree with you, but you never know things can change very quickly.

Old
10-23-2012, 05:01 PM
shello
@WShello9

Martin still set to return for mid November or has that changed? Heard last week or the week before he was back at home. Going down to Ottawa November 13th so hoping to see him in net.

Old
10-23-2012, 06:40 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Martin still set to return for mid November or has that changed? Heard last week or the week before he was back at home. Going down to Ottawa November 13th so hoping to see him in net.
It was a complete overreaction, he played 2 games after the injury report. He won all 3 of his starts and 1 in relief. He now has a 5-1 record leading all draft eligible goalies. The only loss on opening night coming against Kitchener.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:27 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, he may be joining the Summerside Western Capitals a Junior "A" team based out of PEI.
Summerside is loading up with ex-CHL players as they host the RBC Cup this year if I'm not mistaken. That would be a smart place to go if you can get there.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:11 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
It was a complete overreaction, he played 2 games after the injury report. He won all 3 of his starts and 1 in relief. He now has a 5-1 record leading all draft eligible goalies. The only loss on opening night coming against Kitchener.
Really? Well I should really keep up more then . But thats great news, and happy to hear he's been playing so well.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
NHL Fanatic

Another strong performance by Spencer Martin, improving to 6-1-1 . Great team performance after an abysmal first period. Damian Bourne is looking better and better each game. Strong games in Sarnia and Belleville. Really nice first OHL goal and beauty assist tonight.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 10-25-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Steel Toe

Coming around....

Quote:
Another strong performance by Spencer Martin, improving to 6-1-1 . Great team performance after an abysmal first period. Damian Bourne is looking better and better each game. Strong games in Sarnia and Belleville. Really nice first OHL goal and beauty assist tonight.
I agree Bourne is playing better the last couple of games, a good sign ! This is what the kid needs is some added confidence and ice time to help grow to his full potential in his young Ohl career . Besides the first period and team played very well , they owned the play and it was a fun game to watch!
The teams key to success is to out work the opposition , play well defensively and have great goaltending. Team Offense won't be there forte but last night was nice to see, scoring by committee is the way they will win.
The Brampton game tomorrow night will be a big one.....

Old
10-27-2012, 10:36 AM
superspitfan99

Mississauga came out firing last night. It was nice to see that score by committee effort happening again with the majority of goals not from the top line. Zottl looked a bit out of place there and he's slow, but he's young and with time may develop. A little surprised to see Diodati playing the wing, but he had some chances and didn't look out of place there at all. If I was one of the scratched healthy forwards, I'd be wondering....since there were 2 drafted D playing forward last night.

Over all it was a great effort and a nice win!

Old
10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Steel Toe

The Steelheads are playing great hockey, they have outscored there opposition 11-2 in the last 2 games. Spencer Martin is the real deal in net , league leading 2.02 ga avg. and 7-1 win record to boot.
Committee scoring is key! And D. Bourne getting better each game with another goal last night.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:18 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Martin looks incredible right now. Im glad to see Bourne coming around. He was one of the few guys in the OHL draft who could dominate with skill and power. He had some extreme up and downs. Some games he was a monster hitting everyone and intimidating other players. He also mixed in some high end skilled plays and has soft hands. Other games he seemed dis-interested. I think Bourne and all the kids who are north of 6-3, they need more time to grow into their body. I think off the ice he should focus on his balance and lower leg strength. Bourne has alot of potential he can tap into to become a very solid Power Forward. When he is on the forecheck he will make D-men panic after he hits them a few times that will create turnovers. His large wingspan is an excellent tool to have sheilding the puck. Bourne is an excellent skater.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 10-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old
10-27-2012, 04:45 PM
shello
@WShello9

Wow, it sounds like things are really picking up, can't wait to go see Martin live November 13th (assuming hes starting), would be the first time since his days with the Jr.Canadiens. Bourne too sounds awesome, liked the pick from the start, not just cause of his play with the Rebels but cause his name reminds me of Jason Bourne lol.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Steel Toe

Another victory for the Steelheads! Even though Sudbury outplayed the Steelheads overall they still managed to come out with a victory. This is what good teams do , win games that they shouldn't have .
I would of been happy a single point tonight but the to win in Shootout was bonus. I felt they were flat tonight even they had some moments of good determination , but the Wolves played a good road game considering playing 3 games in 3 nights. The Steelheads improve they record 9-4-1 = 19pts .

Old
10-29-2012, 12:06 AM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Toe View Post
Another victory for the Steelheads! Even though Sudbury outplayed the Steelheads overall they still managed to come out with a victory. This is what good teams do , win games that they shouldn't have .
I would of been happy a single point tonight but the to win in Shootout was bonus. I felt they were flat tonight even they had some moments of good determination , but the Wolves played a good road game considering playing 3 games in 3 nights. The Steelheads improve they record 9-4-1 = 19pts .

Actually shocked on how well they've been playing lol. If you would've told me they'd be playing like this earlier I wouldn't have belived it.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
superspitfan99

It was a nice win, dispite the fact Sudbury really should have had it. Mississauga looked more like the team who had 3 games in 3 nights? I was optimistic that if we had to go into the shootout that we would have the stronger shooters and goalie.

It will be interesting to see in the next week if the Steelheads pick up another OA since it's my understanding that the team can carry 3.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:55 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Actually shocked on how well they've been playing lol. If you would've told me they'd be playing like this earlier I wouldn't have belived it.
I don't live in Peel Region anymore, so I haven't been able to see as many Steelheads games as last year but honestly people forget that its a team game. I saw most mock standings with Mississauga in last or second last but the fact of the matter is that defense wins games. Under Cameron as well, they were never a flashy team. They just run a system that's effective. Building a team from the net out. But it's still very early and they may be getting rid of their vets and acquiring new young talent. I've heard a couple trade rumours here and there but we'll see what happens.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:33 PM
NHL Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJROBd24Vk

If Percy is traded, I wouldn't be surprised if its to Oshawa.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Steel Toe

Quote:
It was a nice win, dispite the fact Sudbury really should have had it. Mississauga looked more like the team who had 3 games in 3 nights? I was optimistic that if we had to go into the shootout that we would have the stronger shooters and goalie.

It will be interesting to see in the next week if the Steelheads pick up another OA since it's my understanding that the team can carry 3.

I can see the Steelheads using that last OA card to pick up a 20 yr old forward . Adding experience and or scoring depth is always an asset.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Toe View Post
I can see the Steelheads using that last OA card to pick up a 20 yr old forward . Adding experience and or scoring depth is always an asset.
i dont see a lot available. maybe Sarault in Sarnia?

Closed Thread