HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid - News on Daniel Alfredsson's Motivation

Old
10-23-2012, 03:11 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

vCash: 500
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid - News on Daniel Alfredsson's Motivation

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/23/...playing-future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alfredsson
“I can’t say I’ve at all been frustrated or really looking forward to coming to the rink. I love it when I’m on the ice and I have fun, but at the same time, at this stage, I know I have to look forward as well. Depending what happens, we’ll see how quick that comes.”

“I enjoy working out, so I’m not going to stop being in shape, but it’s a different step once you go to training camp."
****. Even if there is a resolution to the CBA negotiations, it sounds like we still may have potentially seen Alfie's last game.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Simply put, he'll come back if the lockout ends and he won't if it doesn't.

I'm 100% sure of that.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Minister of Offence

He's been very candid about this subject on the record.

That said, I'm not feeling that bad by no hockey either, but as soon as we hear a season is gonna start, I'll get back right into it.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Simply put, he'll come back if the lockout ends and he won't if it doesn't.

I'm 100% sure of that.
can't say i'm 100% sure, but i would guess that to be true too.

This is really messing with some quality people's careers. that's one of the most frustrating parts.
With everything alfie (for example) has given to this game, to have it potentially end this way is pretty disgraceful imo.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

The PA's biggest bargaining chip right there! "Tick tock Garry, Alfie's not feeling it"

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:45 PM
TeamRenzo

The pending lockout was the biggest reason I paid a stupid price for tickets to game #6 last year. I invited my brother and told him there is a good chance this will be the last time we see Alfie play in person.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:57 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

I'M ****ING FURIOUS. WE ARE MISSING OUR PRESTIGIOUS CAPTAIN'S FINAL SEASON FOR THIS ****ING ****. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

******* THE NHL AND THE NHLPA.

Seriously.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Legend Killer

Meh, if he is content with his life as it is now, let him retire...

He clearly isnt as driven as he has been in the past... Everything set up for him to retire last year... Mainly, he came out of it pretty healthy... Would be a shame for him to show up in not 100% condition and suffer an injury that sours his last year...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
The pending lockout was the biggest reason I paid a stupid price for tickets to game #6 last year. I invited my brother and told him there is a good chance this will be the last time we see Alfie play in person.
That was the game he threw that epic hissy fit! and they blew the lead and series.... Great memories

Old
10-24-2012, 07:22 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

What's pissing me off is that at the start of the year, Alfie said he hasn't felt as good, physically, in years. I was so excited to see him play with legit top 6ers in Turris/Latendresse/Michalek

Turris-Alfredsson connection would have been even more lethal this year.... :'(

I'm beyond pissed. Stop reminding me, guys.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:50 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
What's pissing me off is that at the start of the year, Alfie said he hasn't felt as good, physically, in years. I was so excited to see him play with legit top 6ers in Turris/Latendresse/Michalek

Turris-Alfredsson connection would have been even more lethal this year.... :'(

I'm beyond pissed. Stop reminding me, guys.
It's getting to that point where the lockout really hurts

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:56 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
It's getting to that point where the lockout really hurts
Yea yo, I'm one of the people that believe we, as an organization, should definitely strive to be better in the long-run but do anything that'll help Alfredsson win a cup. What he has done for this team is uncanny and beyond inspirational to everyone. That's why Murray went hard after Nash, imho.

The thought of no hockey this year sucks but Idgaf since I'm busy anyway and let the NHL ruin itself this year while I busy myself with uni but ALFIE'S LAST YEAR to go away like this is disgusting. Hockey will be back, next year if anything, Alfredsson won't...

Old
10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
RappinHobo
#1 Lehner Fanboy

Well who couldn't see this happening from a mile away?

RappinHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Kezia
Benny

vCash: 50
Im hoping its the NHLPA inside him of saying that?

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:10 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
What he has done for this team is uncanny and beyond inspirational to everyone.
Did I miss something? Or several somethings?

What is so special about Alfredsson? What has he done that is uncanny and beyond anything?

He's a great player, he's had a great career, no question. I just don't understand the need people have to build him up into something more than that.

The team had maybe three respectable playoff showings from 1997 to 2007. 98 against Jersey, though they got steamrolled by Washington in the next round. 2003 was the FIRST time they were down in a series and actually fought their way back into it. Sure they came up short, but that was the first year that I actually felt proud of how their season ended.

2007 was a great run, but again, the team got ran over by the Ducks in probably the lamest SCF in recent years.

I just don't get where all these accolades come from, because it's certainly not from achieving anything "uncanny and beyond inspirational".

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Kezia
Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post

What is so special about Alfredsson? What has he done that is uncanny and beyond anything?

He's a great player, he's had a great career, no question. I just don't understand the need people have to build him up into something more than that.

The team had maybe three respectable playoff showings from 1997 to 2007. 98 against Jersey, though they got steamrolled by Washington in the next round. 2003 was the FIRST time they were down in a series and actually fought their way back into it. Sure they came up short, but that was the first year that I actually felt proud of how their season ended.

2007 was a great run, but again, the team got ran over by the Ducks in probably the lamest SCF in recent years.

I just don't get where all these accolades come from, because it's certainly not from achieving anything "uncanny and beyond inspirational".
Blasphemy

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Blasphemy
No no... Its pretty dead on

Old
10-25-2012, 06:13 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
No no... Its pretty dead on
says the guy who worships Foligno even more for no apparent reason

He's a career Sen, the all time leader in games played and the longest serving captain in the league, by far. How many years has he been the captain now? He's shown tremendous commitment to the city and team.

That alone, even if he was an average or bad player, would make him special. Add that he's a great player, one of the very best at his positions pretty every season of his career, that he leads the team all time in points and that he has displayed more heart and desire to win than any other Senator ever, that's why he is worshiped.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:

Exactly, I hated those past Sens teams. They were embarressing. Guys like Redden, Fisher, Kelly and such are good players, but it wasnt a winning combo....I was glad to see them go....unlike half the Sens fans here that can't seem to let them go.

This new team and coach are coming together nicely, and Im really excited to see this team grow and hopefully bring home the cup. Something I knew would never happen with those past teams led by Jack Martin.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:12 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
says the guy who worships Foligno even more for no apparent reason

He's a career Sen, the all time leader in games played and the longest serving captain in the league, by far. How many years has he been the captain now? He's shown tremendous commitment to the city and team.

That alone, even if he was an average or bad player, would make him special. Add that he's a great player, one of the very best at his positions pretty every season of his career, that he leads the team all time in points and that he has displayed more heart and desire to win than any other Senator ever, that's why he is worshiped.
Those things are nice, but they have no substance. Saying he is has displayed more heart that any Senator ever...well that's arguable at best, and really, that kind of reminds me of the joke about winning a gold medal at the special olympics.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Ottawa is a team with a relatively short history, and the fans are wishing someone into hero status.

I would never question Alfredsson's heart, desire to win, or skill, but I just don't think he's a great leader, and he's certainly not one of the best right winger's to play in his era.

He's never led us to a championship. He never had the impact on the team that guys like Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts or Doug Gilmour had on the Leafs or Devils. He's not Marc Messier.

I really think that he was miscast as Captain way back when. The team took the C from Yashin as punishment, and gave it to Alfredsson pretty much by default. He was never a leader then. What he was, was "not Yashin"

I think the best captain we ever had was Randy Cunneyworth.

Anyway I know that I won't change any minds here. But surely I am not the only one that sees it this way.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:31 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Those things are nice, but they have no substance. Saying he is has displayed more heart that any Senator ever...well that's arguable at best, and really, that kind of reminds me of the joke about winning a gold medal at the special olympics.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Ottawa is a team with a relatively short history, and the fans are wishing someone into hero status.

I would never question Alfredsson's heart, desire to win, or skill, but I just don't think he's a great leader, and he's certainly not one of the best right winger's to play in his era.

He's never led us to a championship. He never had the impact on the team that guys like Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts or Doug Gilmour had on the Leafs or Devils. He's not Marc Messier.

I really think that he was miscast as Captain way back when. The team took the C from Yashin as punishment, and gave it to Alfredsson pretty much by default. He was never a leader then. What he was, was "not Yashin"

Anyway I know that I won't change any minds here. But surely I am not the only one that sees it this way.
So he needs to be as good as Mark Messier to be a hero in Ottawa? Please

''He never had the impact on the team that guys like Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts or Doug Gilmour had on the Leafs or Devils'' - again, please. That's BS. Sorry but it is. Maybe you prefer those players, fine, go be a Leafs fan. But they didn't do more for Toronto than Alfredsson for Ottawa, especially not the first two.

He's the best player on and off the ice the team has ever had, spent his whole career here, and yes led his team to great seasons.

You're asking him to be an all time great. He's not Messier, Lemieux, Howe, Richard. He's not. That doesn't mean he's not a hero in Ottawa.

And yes he is one of the best RW to play in this era. He's right up there with Iginla.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:34 AM
MAK19

The love is well deserved - loyalty, heart, playing through injuries and high caliber of play. Well deserved and any true Sens fan will be extremely sad to see him retire.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Margaret Trudeau*

I'm happy for him. It's time to move on. He's got kids and a body that need attention.

Margaret Trudeau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
That is such ********. Nieuwendyk, Roberts or Gilmour aren't Messier either.

Gilmour didn't even lead his team to the Finals for the Leafs. Nieuwendyk was more of a complementary piece for his Cups, and he didn't even play in the Finals for the Devils. And what did Roberts do exactly with the Leafs, aside from beat the Sens?

Alfredsson put the team on his back in 2007. I was there. He willed the team to the Finals and then was one of the only guys who was still trying to pull his team through against the Ducks.

That SH goal in Game 5 after Anaheim had just scored says it all. He led the playoffs in scoring and in goal scoring.

The lack of consistency in your perspective is pathetic.

Sure, Alfredsson is no Messier. But to put Gilmour, Nieuwendyk and Roberts for their work with the Leafs and Devils on some kind of pedestal is laughable, and undermines any credibility you're trying to apply to the situation.

We don't want Alfredsson to continue to lead the team into the future. It was pretty clear last season that it's no longer Alfie's team. You're seeing Spezza stepping up as the mouthpiece for the squad. But he deserved an opportunity for Ottawa fans to see him play, knowing that it's for the last time, say goodbye and thank him for his service and hard work for the franchise.

Anyway, I'm sure you get off on being the black sheep and holding the contrarian view as some kind of rebellious iconoclast, so I'm glad I can provide you with the ego-boosting you crave.

Last edited by NyQuil: 10-25-2012 at 10:12 AM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

Sorry but with this kind of logic some very great players wouldn't be in the HHOF.

It takes a team to win a cup, not just one great player or leader.

The teams that have won the cup, had great goaltending and outstanding third and fourth line contributions.

Ottawa seldom got either. If you believe this is the responsibility of Alfredsson, so be it, I just don't agree with the logic.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote