HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-24-2012, 04:02 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
And, if Davidson doesn't work out, we fire Rimer and we already have his replacement in house. Win-win if you ask me.

Today really has been a mixed bag. Thrilled about Davidson (and for that matter the news about the Isles staying in New York), disappointed about what is going on with the lockout. The ASG was the one bright moment that came out of last season and these idiots are on the brink of killing it. If they don't play the ASG, I hate to say, but I'd almost rather they don't play this season at all. Let them hand EDMONTON the #1 draft pick as compensation and send Bettman and Fehr to the unemployment line never to ruin another sports season.
Fixed.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
And, if Davidson doesn't work out, we fire Rimer and we already have his replacement in house. Win-win if you ask me.
So there is a humorous bright side.

Quote:
Today really has been a mixed bag. Thrilled about Davidson (and for that matter the news about the Isles staying in New York), disappointed about what is going on with the lockout. The ASG was the one bright moment that came out of last season and these idiots are on the brink of killing it. If they don't play the ASG, I hate to say, but I'd almost rather they don't play this season at all. Let them hand us the #1 draft pick as compensation and send Bettman and Fehr to the unemployment line never to ruin another sports season.
Davidson should be a monumental upgrade over Priest. We'll see if that translates into more wins around here. I'm curious about Davidson, excited that Priest is out of that picture, and thrilled that Howson has someone who should hold him accountable. For the rest of what you said, I would have to say I am pretty much in agreement.

I don't think the Jackets should be done here and I hope Davidson starts to load up on some solid advisers in key areas.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Quote:
@JJ_On_Sports: #CBJ President Mike Priest confirms to Columbus Wired that it was GM Howson who came to him with the idea of hiring Davidson.
Wow. Has this been confirmed previously? I wonder how that conversation was started.

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:08 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
Wow. Has this been confirmed previously? I wonder how that conversation was started.
"So, uh, you know how I suck and everybody wants to fire me? What if we bring in THIS dude to mentor me?"

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Not only for Howson to tell management that they need another person for the operations side, but basically telling Priest that Davidson could do a better job. Priest had to have already voiced his desire to move away from the operations side.

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

John Davidson, President of the Columbus Blue Jackets

????

There are very few people that I would consider better hockey men then John Davidson. This is very big news. Suddenly I'm kind of happy for the lockout because I really doubt this happens had the season started normally. Davidson would have taken an announcing gig and waited for his next opportunity.

I heard this announced on the 11:00pm news last night, and I found it hard to really believe, but the fact that he is now running our organization should mean better results are on the horizon.

Thanks to Mr McConnell for going out and getting someone that knows the sport, and how to build a solid organ-i-zation.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
BlueJackets66

After long thought perhaps all Howson needs is a great hockey mind like JD to oversee him and perhaps he could get back to the EDM days now he has been relegated to an Asst GM role for the most part. Howson will stick around for at least one year till JD gets feet really wet and the he will go from there on whether to keep GMSH or not, but I do believe he will bring in hockey people in the scouting dept and don't forget Richards is only on for 2 years so it will give JD jsut enough time to evaluate and if we go in a different direction we are not paying him for 4+ years 1 year at the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Edmonton, with Howson in the front office.
2000-01 - 93 points
2001-02 - 92 points
2002-03 - 92 points
2003-04 - 89 points
2005-06 - 95 points
2006-07 - 71 points
6-year average - 88.67 points

Edmonton, without Howson in the front office.
2007-08 - 88 points
2008-09 - 85 points
2009-10 - 62 points
2010-11 - 62 points
2011-12 - 74 points
5-year average - 74.2 points (-14.47 compared to with Howson)

Columbus, without Howson in the front office.
2000-01 - 71 points
2001-02 - 57 points
2002-03 - 69 points
2003-04 - 62 points
2005-06 - 74 points
2006-07 - 73 points
6-year average - 67.67 points

Columbus, with Howson in the front office.
2007-08 - 80 points
2008-09 - 92 points
2009-10 - 79 points
2010-11 - 81 points
2011-12 - 65 points
5-year average - 79.4 points (+11.73 compared to without Howson)

BlueJackets66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2212
A perspective from St. Louis:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...a4bcf6878.html

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:35 PM
thebus2288

Interested in what this means for Mason.

Time to bust out the SUPER DOOPER HOCKEY BLOOPERS!!

thebus2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Interested in what this means for Mason.

Time to bust out the SUPER DOOPER HOCKEY BLOOPERS!!
Mason's on borrowed time even more than before. Keep in mind that JD limped onto the ice through injury to help the Rangers make it to the Cup final when he played. He's not going to put up with Mason's constant attempts to throw his teammates under the bus.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Mason's on borrowed time even more than before. Keep in mind that JD limped onto the ice through injury to help the Rangers make it to the Cup final when he played. He's not going to put up with Mason's constant attempts to throw his teammates under the bus.

At his presser he specifically mentioned Mason and how fit he reported.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Mason sucks. As long as he's in net the CBJ are going nowhere.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:32 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Ownership has been talking about wanting to win for years. Now I actually believe it! Two thumbs way up for this move.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:35 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
The problem with Mason has never been his fitness. It's been about what's between his two ears. Bobrovsky is going to take his job and never let him have a chance to take it back.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtype View Post
Awesome news. I hope he takes a year (or at least a good amount of time) to see how everything is in our organization before he decides who to fire and who to keep.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
The problem with Mason has never been his fitness. It's been about what's between his two ears. Bobrovsky is going to take his job and never let him have a chance to take it back.
Agreed. I just wanted to point out that Mason was one of those mentioned by name, as was Bobrovsky. It may be nothing more than one he thought of off the top of his head it may be more. Not taking sides or making any prediction, time will tell.

Got to get out of negotiation and onto the ice before we're going to know.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Awesome news. I hope he takes a year (or at least a good amount of time) to see how everything is in our organization before he decides who to fire and who to keep.
Shouldn't take a year. The 12 years of failure should say something.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

This hiring, along with Craig Patrick and (yes, I said it) Scott Howson at the helm (hey, I think he does a decent enough job), will be a great direction for our franchise. I will step out and say that, within 5 years, we are not only competitive, but are a powerhouse in this league, capable of winning a President's Trophy. There are great things brewing in Columbus, and we have a lot to be excited about.

Give it just a little bit more time

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:35 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Amazing that this announcement has generated only 5 posts so far.

Does the NHL realize what it is doing to its fanbase right now?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:38 AM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
This hiring, along with Craig Patrick and (yes, I said it) Scott Howson at the helm (hey, I think he does a decent enough job), will be a great direction for our franchise. I will step out and say that, within 5 years, we are not only competitive, but are a powerhouse in this league, capable of winning a President's Trophy. There are great things brewing in Columbus, and we have a lot to be excited about.

Give it just a little bit more time
Agreed. i think with the current pieces we have (deep defense, a young team, 3 first round picks in a deep draft this year) and a front office that has the hockey intelligence to make aggressive moves our team will move through the rebuild phase quickly.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:37 AM
Cyclones Rock

McConnell has finally awakened and smelled the coffee.

While some sense of loyalty prevents him from releasing his two clowns Priest and Howson, McConnnell has effectively replaced both of them with the hiring of Patrick and Davidson. The Jackets finally have the cornerstones of a legitimate front office. Only took a mere 14 years, but better late than never.

It's going to be odd watching a professional NHL operation in Columbus. I expect that the team will start doing remarkable things like making the playoffs more than a once a decade event and possibly even winning a playoff game or two.

Mr. Howson ought to make sure his resume is updated.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:44 AM
EspenK

My guess is Howson's future pretty much rests on his ability to get along with JD, He's not going to be drafting a guy who Davidson doesn't want; same with coaches. I think that Davidson will be the de facto GM and Howson will become more of his chief assistant. Of course if a fall guy is needed, it won't be JD.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:07 AM
650X2

Have to wonder what our roster would look like right now had this happened during his window with the Blues.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Yeah, I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw the post you quoted. I knew it was quite possible that Rimer would have an impact, but I now know my second worst nightmare has come to pass. Rimer is here for as long as Davidson is, at least. The fact that Davidson mentioned him confirms that piece of vile news. If Davidson does a good job, I guess I will suck it up and tolerate Rimer. But if things don't improve within 5 years, I'll call from Rimer's head for helping to persuade this guy joining us... :p

As far as you being right, I don't remember anyone questioning if you were right. I can pretty much take this one up as I think I was the only one that didn't like the news.
Come on blahblah, can't I have a little fun on this board?

I wouldn't mind seeing Rims moved to color analyst, and a new play-by-play guy brought in. But, I like the guy, so can't wish anything bad on him.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

If I remember correctly, one of the first things JD did in St. Louis was lower ticket prices. I wonder if he will suggest that here, and if so, will ownership go for it.

They did give STH renewals a 5% discount this year, but technically it wasn't a price drop. It was a one time incentive to renew.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote